BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-13-2015, 04:26 PM   #1
Andrewcoja
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i MSport

Another AC thread

It's starting to get back into the mid to high 90s again so I figured I'd bring up air conditioners. Is it normal for the AC to not work well above 95 degrees? Below 90, my AC works pretty decently. I set it to 68 degrees but it doesn't really hit 68 degrees. Above 90 and it barely gets cold. Above 95 and I've got it on max cold and fan and I'm still sweating in my car. That's after waiting a few minutes for it to start blowing cool at all. It's not blowing hot or anything, the air is still cool but it's not as cold as other people's ACs. My buddy's viper has an AC vent under the glove box for some reason that shoots air right into the seat and nearly froze my gentleman's area.

I've read before that the AC compressor in the e82 isn't that great. I just want to see if this is normal before taking it somewhere to get the refrigerant level checked. I know from the sticker on the hood that says 1.1 lbs +/- .03 lbs that I'm more likely to screw everything up if I try to do anything with refrigerant myself. I just don't want to spend over a hundred bucks getting it checked if the AC just sucks to begin with.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 07:36 PM   #2
TX135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i Coupe DCT

I'm interested in this too. I live in Central FL and today I was beginning to wonder if it was working. Took a good 5-10 minutes to feel as cold as I thought it should. Definitely talking longer now that it's getting steamy outside.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 09:53 AM   #3
Andrewcoja
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

No one else lives in a hot area?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 12:25 PM   #4
cbl117
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 e92 335i

My anecdotal data: I've noticed my AC struggle a bit when the temperature is above 90-95F. It gets cool quickly, but I wouldn't call it cold. It does seem to get cooler the longer its running. Its a hell of a lot better then my 2006 civic ever was in the socal heat lol.

CURRENT: 2013 TSM 335i 6AT | Stock!!...for now |
SOLD: 2010 CR 135i 6MT | 351 WHP 387 WTQ | Dinan Stage 2 | Dinan Intercooler | BMS DCI | Berk Street Axle Back | N55 Midpipe | BMWP Y-Pipe | Bilstein HD Dampers | BMWP Springs | Whiteline RSFB Inserts | 225/255 RE71R | CDV Delete | CF Diffuser |
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 12:29 PM   #5
ccdre
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 AW 135i, '13 Frozen M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewcoja View Post
No one else lives in a hot area?
My AC isn't handling the triple digits well at all. I'm having to use the "Max AC" feature just to stay somewhat comfortable. Perhaps I need to get it re-charged...
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 09:20 PM   #6
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Since buying my car new (MY 2013), I've always thought the A/C wasn't cooling so great. Made a mention of this to my service adviser when I went in for service once. But at the time it wasn't very hot out so the mechanic wouldn't be able to do a proper test of the A/C system.

In contrast, my wife's Acura RDX cools pretty well and of all cars, my old 2006 Focus cooled the best. That Focus could cool the cabin so well you could hang meat in it. Even my wife said she has never been in a car that cooled so well.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 11:55 PM   #7
Gregoriovv
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135

Here in hell, um I mean Phoenix, temps above 110f are the norm in summer. My ac seems to work pretty well considering the ridiculous heat. Of course my car rarely sits in the sun so the ac is not trying to cool an already baking interior.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 09:12 AM   #8
Wakka
but no flokka
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

I had really bad AC problems going into this summer here in florida. I recharged the AC, and it is MUCH better now. With that said, on really hot days it still takes a bit to get cold, but with it on max and my 15 minute drive home from work, i am chilly by the time i pull into my garage.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 09:26 AM   #9
Pissoff
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08, 128i e88

I'm not diagnosing your problem, but giving you something to check before paying out any money. The condenser, radiator, and cooling fan are all important parts of the ad you can check yourself. Making sure the condenser is clean. You need to make sure not just bugs but dirt will sit between the fins and clog it and the radiator. If the cooling fan doesn't run when the ac is on that's a problem. Air has to be moving through the condenser for the ac to work. It is just like you home ac condenser if the fan stops working the ac stops working. The last thing would be your cabin air filter good flow is needed there too. These are the things I would clean, replace, or check first. I know how much dirt is always in the air here in Texas. I always make sure I hose clean the radiator and condenser at every car wash.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 05:27 PM   #10
Andrewcoja
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Where is the condenser? I'll see if I can clean that out. After seeing everyone else's experiences, I'm thinking it's just a matter of the car not having a powerful enough AC for the southern US in the first place. It gets ice cold in the mornings when it's under 80, and struggles in the afternoon.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 05:50 PM   #11
Pissoff
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08, 128i e88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewcoja View Post
Where is the condenser? I'll see if I can clean that out. After seeing everyone else's experiences, I'm thinking it's just a matter of the car not having a powerful enough AC for the southern US in the first place. It gets ice cold in the mornings when it's under 80, and struggles in the afternoon.
Condenser is in front of the radiator. They may be weak, but what ever we can do to make them as efficient as we can. I am also not saying that the system might need to be recharged. I was just saying that the before mentioned things can make the system not function at its best. Like I said too I'm here in Texas too, and I know how dusty the air has been. I would change the cabin air filter.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 08:11 AM   #12
awns729
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i Convertible

It was 90+ yesterday, and I was happy with my A/C. Maybe get a thermometer for the vents from an auto store's AC repair section. Ideally they (they=autozone repair video) say between 40-45 degrees F is what it should be on max cool + full recirculate. In my Subaru, I can get it down to 50 degrees, never checked my BMW. However, if you see 50+ F on max cool + full recirc after driving the car for a while, it's probably low on refrigerant. In which case you need a recharge and to find/repair the leak if its significant. (If you're losing refrigerant, there IS some leak no matter what, just a question of how fast/slow).

I do notice that when I startup the car after its already warmed up and idle it, the A/C is never super cold. I'd imagine it's because it's stupidly hot under our hoods. After driving and letting air hit the condenser, it improves a bit. Not a very big difference but noticeable.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0