BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-05-2015, 07:08 AM   #23
youknowluke
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 116i M Sport Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru55 View Post
When i turn left or/and right i get a ticking sound from my tyres, like a stone, but theres no stone!

Its drives me mad!
Hi mate, Did you find out what the problem was? I have BMW 5 series f10 and I've got the exact same issue like stone but no stone when you turn. For some reason it only seems to happen when the tyres get warm so at the moment it happens a lot from midday onwards when the grounds warmed up. I have 2 continental conti sport run flats on the front? whT tyres did you have? I have TMPS but it reckons the tyre pressures are good however I'm gonna go check them.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 10:29 PM   #24
joe86
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 135 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru55
When i turn left or/and right i get a ticking sound from my tyres, like a stone, but theres no stone!Its drives me mad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by youknowluke View Post
Hi mate, Did you find out what the problem was? I have BMW 5 series f10 and I've got the exact same issue like stone but no stone when you turn. For some reason it only seems to happen when the tyres get warm so at the moment it happens a lot from midday onwards when the grounds warmed up. I have 2 continental conti sport run flats on the front? whT tyres did you have? I have TMPS but it reckons the tyre pressures are good however I'm gonna go check them.
I also get that ticking sound, sounds exactly like a rock in the front tire. It happens while turning. This is such a weird problem that I have never experienced. When I rotate tires it goes away until I take some hard corners then it comes back. seems to be louder the hotter the tires are. I have Michelin pss 225/40. What tires do you have ru55?
      06-17-2015, 12:10 PM   #25
EL937
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral Grey M2, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobo335i View Post
Spud,

Your not crazy. If you are, then I am too. Same squishy wheels on my car, but I got a dealer to work with me on it. Story as follows...

'Squishy' noise, coming from ALL sides of my car. M package wheels with stock Run-Flats. Especially loud when cold. I washed the car one afternoon, sprayed the wheels thoroughly, and the sound actually STOPPED for 20 min (until the wheels dried). So I took it to the dealer and they said it was the way the wheels were mounted. Supposedly the bead of the tire squeaks in the rim.

They pulled off all the tires and remounted them. I drove the car in 'silent mode' for about 50 miles and now the sounds are back. It's a freaking symphony! I am going out of my mind. So embarrassing! I was thinking of hitting the beads of the wheels with Armorall to see if that would lubricate them and stop the noise, but I haven't done it yet. Will do this weekend.

If anyone else has had this experience, please speak up. I cant stand it anymore. Any other ideas out there?
Oh boy have I been waiting to find this thread. I have a 2013 135i that has had this problem since shortly after I bought it new...

I've been in and out of the dealership 3 times for this and they have yet to provide a permanent solution. The service manager actually drove around with me and immediately recognized the noise as "a problem that the old Z4's used to have" where the tire rubs against the rim causing it to sort of squeak... it isn't really a tick or grind but yes sounds sort of like a rock in the tire bordering on making a squeaking noise. It does not make this noise when hoisted because its the pressure of the tire on the rim apparently. It is relatively loud when driving next to buildings or in parking garages and it annoys the piss out of me.

They were able to temporarily fix it each time by pulling off the tires, greasing up the edges and slapping them back on the rims. It works for about 2 weeks then the sound comes back. It is more noticeable on cold tires and tire pressure can impact how loud it is (lower the pressure the louder it is).

I saw a tech last time I was in to get the SIB 12.15.14 update and mentioned the "squeak" and he just said it is normal and that all BMW's do it

I am due for service sometime next month most likely and I am going to tell them I need a permanent fix because it is unacceptable to have my awesome relatively new BMW rolling around squeaking like a late '80s Toyota.

Other than this issue though... I adore this vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 10:50 PM   #26
Hit Redline
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E60 M5

I had this same issue as well. Several trips to the dealer to have fixed. Went to second dealer and the response was the same, its the tires. Noise was only from the front tires but it was both.

I recently installed new wheels and tires and the noise is gone. The only fix is to replace the tires.

I had dunlop run flats that looked to be pretty new when I purchased as a CPO for reference.
Appreciate 0