BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-12-2017, 01:41 PM   #1
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Boring Online Car Videos and Tinkering Threads

I can't be the only one here with this reaction, tell me it isn't true :-)

I've recently had an opportunity to "consider" buying an M2; no, I'd definitely not sell or trade in my 1M, rather I'd "sacrifice" another vehicle if I did that. But I don't think I'll do it, so that part of this is moot.

In the process of considering this move, and reconsidering some of the cars in my own little stable, I've been reading lots of car threads and at least attempting to watch some enthusiast videos.

My summary statement is that there are some people out there with too much time on their hands, who have actually no idea how boring they are! Granted, we all love Chris Harris and several others, who actually know how to make a video interesting, and to impart some actual information. And of course we have some rather interesting threads here and on companion boards.

But 45 minutes of blather about absolutely nothing of interest to anyone other than the home "videographer(s)," and, endless threads detailing what someone did to their particular car -- am I the only one who finds this stuff not only totally egocentric but also incredibly boring?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 04:32 PM   #2
digwm1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
I can't be the only one here with this reaction, tell me it isn't true :-)

I've recently had an opportunity to "consider" buying an M2; no, I'd definitely not sell or trade in my 1M, rather I'd "sacrifice" another vehicle if I did that. But I don't think I'll do it, so that part of this is moot.

In the process of considering this move, and reconsidering some of the cars in my own little stable, I've been reading lots of car threads and at least attempting to watch some enthusiast videos.

My summary statement is that there are some people out there with too much time on their hands, who have actually no idea how boring they are! Granted, we all love Chris Harris and several others, who actually know how to make a video interesting, and to impart some actual information. And of course we have some rather interesting threads here and on companion boards.

But 45 minutes of blather about absolutely nothing of interest to anyone other than the home "videographer(s)," and, endless threads detailing what someone did to their particular car -- am I the only one who finds this stuff not only totally egocentric but also incredibly boring?
hahahaha welcome to the world of car forums champignon, voicing your displeasure of the revolving door content is probably a no-no and is duly noted by most members, as most of us are already bleeding out of our eyes at the repetitive bombardment and numb to the constant egocentric posts by most people but what can we do, its an egocentric world and car people are typically egocentric individuals. comes with the crowd and with the forum, we stick around cause we share a common interest, that is our cars , and once in a while forums make for meaningful connections and fun information sharing. can't fault our so called "boring" videographers, they're putting themselves out there and i find no fault whether they are boring or not, i have an idea who you might be talking about, but hey his channel is huge, so obviously there's a market for his videos, i know what you mean regarding the style though, i too find monologues on cars from inside the cockpit kinda lacking but its hard to get good external shots + good audio, especially when you're a solo man team, so you got to be a little understanding, regardless
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 04:59 PM   #3
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by digwm1 View Post
i have an idea who you might be talking about, but hey his channel is huge, so obviously there's a market for his videos, i know what you mean regarding the style though, i too find monologues on cars from inside the cockpit kinda lacking but its hard to get good external shots + good audio, especially when you're a solo man team, so you got to be a little understanding, regardless
If there was just "one" dude who makes boring car-related videos out there, that would be one thing, but there isn't.

There's a whole bunch of people out there who seem to think they have the ability to make interesting content, just because they bought some gee whiz digital video equipment, and happen to own or have access to a car or cars they can flog the unsuspecting public with.

The worst part is that they make 45 minute and longer videos that maybe, perhaps, have about one or two minutes of potentially interesting content, and the rest is just totally uninteresting nonsense. Since the videos have very little actual content, they have basically no organization, and jumping around trying to find if there is a nugget or two of interesting material just becomes a total waste of time.

I'm tempted to start a youtube channel comparing different brands of toothpaste; it would be more interesting than a lot of the car videos I've seen :-)
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 10:25 PM   #4
8081M
Private
Rep
Drives: 1M, E91 msport, E61 msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
The worst part is that they make 45 minute and longer videos that maybe, perhaps, have about one or two minutes of potentially interesting content, and the rest is just totally uninteresting nonsense.
[cough]obsessed garage[/cough]
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 10:53 PM   #5
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Here is but one minor example:

As for the fellow with the car collection who makes videos, you can take your pick and post it in this thread :-)
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 05:03 AM   #6
1'M Blue
Major
Oman
Rep
Drives: 1M

It use to be a select "knowledgable" few only in youtube.

Now there's hundreds ! Im not saying its a bad thing but as stated some of these "VLogger"s are just boring indeed.
Appreciate 0