BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-09-2011, 06:32 PM   #1
Tommeh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 96 BMW M3 & 16 GMC Canyon

Limppppp mode....

Okay so my 135 has been at a local BMW service shop for two weeks because they could not read codes due to the can buss. I still don't how or why that is messed up but he got some codes before it the system cut out 30 seconds later, I don't have them on hand will tomorrow. The tech thinks that my cams and vanos system are messed up.

Pretty much I cannot ever really get into high rps, because the car goes into limp mode. The way the tech explained it to me was that because of the Vanos system the car is being thrown off because of the oil pressure or lack or oil in the system. The car is not moving at the right speed at the right rpms and throwing it into limp mode.

I'm just a little worried about throwing 2k into a problem not knowing if it will definitely fix it or not. Any techs no anything more about this or any other poor soul have this kind of problem?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 08:26 PM   #2
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Anyd mods on your car?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 07:56 PM   #3
Tommeh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

-Burger Motorsports JB4 with USB and dual cone intake
-Cooling Mist Stage II methanol injection
-Riss Racing catless turbo back exhaust, oil catch can, modified clutch delay valve and ram air scoops
-Evolution Racewerks charge pipe with TiAL Q blow off valve and front mount intercooler
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 09:48 PM   #4
xerox445
Damenslip-Tropfer
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommeh View Post
-Burger Motorsports JB4 with USB and dual cone intake
-Cooling Mist Stage II methanol injection
-Riss Racing catless turbo back exhaust, oil catch can, modified clutch delay valve and ram air scoops
-Evolution Racewerks charge pipe with TiAL Q blow off valve and front mount intercooler
Danger Close.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 03:20 AM   #5
1NNO_35
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Well, mods will crack up this car for sure. Welcome to the club of zounds of crappy 135i owners.

I will definately swap my car to some japanese 1 in near future.
Black painted OEM Rims with 225/255 Wheels - aFe Filter - aR Catted Downpipes - Performance Axleback Exhaust - Performance Breaks - Performance Steering Wheel - Performance Shifter - Carbon Fiber Front Grills and Back Diffuser + Back Spoiler ->
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 07:48 AM   #6
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommeh View Post
Okay
I'm just a little worried about throwing 2k into a problem not knowing if it will definitely fix it or not. Any techs no anything more about this or any other poor soul have this kind of problem?
Start with both vanos solenoids and an oils change is reduce any debris that may be in the oil and causing any vanos issues. Solenoids are very common. If that doesn't take care of it, it may be wear in a cam bearing ledge in the head. You would have to remove the valve cover and inspect the head prior to replacing. There is an sib on this, I can't recallthe number though. If there is wear in the cam bearing ledge, it causes an oil pressure drop and vanos issues. In which case the affected cam and bearing ledge will need replacement. Solenoids are cheap and an easy swap, this with an oil change fixes most issues with vanos. What mileage are you at and whats the production date of your car? I'll do some research for you...
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 04:00 AM   #7
Tommeh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw135er View Post
If that doesn't take care of it, it may be wear in a cam bearing ledge in the head. You would have to remove the valve cover and inspect the head prior to replacing. There is an sib on this, I can't recallthe number though. If there is wear in the cam bearing ledge, it causes an oil pressure drop and vanos issues. In which case the affected cam and bearing ledge will need replacement.
This is what the mechanic I talked to told me as well. I think I will try to change the vanos solenoids first then move to that step.

I am at 59k, and my 135 was produced in 08.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 02:46 PM   #8
1NNO_35
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

PS. Does limp mode snap up in 4k rpm ? If so, you might have same problem what I had, blowoff valves were crappy ones, thanks to forge.

Switched to OEM and voila.
Black painted OEM Rims with 225/255 Wheels - aFe Filter - aR Catted Downpipes - Performance Axleback Exhaust - Performance Breaks - Performance Steering Wheel - Performance Shifter - Carbon Fiber Front Grills and Back Diffuser + Back Spoiler ->
Appreciate 0