BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-31-2014, 02:14 PM   #1
SloPoke
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

So after selling my AW about a year ago after owning it since new, I feel I may want to come back and play. I'm currently looking at either a 1M with budget left for goodies, a new M4, or a 2013/2014 M5. I know that all three are totally different cars and not often cross shopped. My only stipulation is that the back seat must have room for my two kids- 3 year old and 9 week old. Having driven back 1,000 miles from picking up my 1M in Connecticut with my son when he was 8 weeks old, I know it is doable.

I like the 1M because the rarity, looks and everything else you read about in the reviews. I also jump between cars every 2 years or so, and it will retain its value much better than the other two.

I like the M4 for the lines, interior, and the fact I can spec it out how I like it. I'll be testing one out this week so I will see if it is still on my list afterwards.

The M5 was not originally on my list but after testing one out in anger yesterday, it made me smile and giggle the whole test drive. There is just something cool about something that big going that fast. In sport plus the DCT is downright wicked and it moves out like few things I have ever driven. I don't like however that there is a new one on the horizon and I don't know if the novelty of its acceleration will where off when I can't really chuck it into the corners like the others on my list.

If I went 1M, I'd add full akra evo, KW V3, RB upgraded turbos (not sure if any other options are out since I left), and some ADV.1 wheels. Would also add a CF lip and diffuser from Revo.

If I went M4 I'd add some H&R springs, Meisterschaft GT2, and maybe some wheels when offsets are better known.

If I went M5, it would have similar mods as the M4, it would just have to be spaced out since my piggy bank would be empty after the purchase.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 03:37 PM   #2
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M, ‘24 718 GTS

I've said it before and I'll say it again: ain't gonna be no shortage of M2/3/4/5/6 ad infinitum.

But let me put into terms that I use with this car. Remember that one person you dated that REALLY made you happy but that you lost and that you still think about and would pull your own fingernails out to be with again?

That's this car.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 04:16 PM   #3
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
hey man! i think i remember talking to you once about your 1M when it was for sale!

i personally feel that if 'practicality' is not a concern, i'd rather have the 1M over the M4 or M5. The concept of the 1M is just something that won't be made again. Newer BMWs have a lot of tech and a lot of 'features'....but do they have enough character? personality? enjoyment? i don't think so. It all depends on what you want. If you want the 'latest thing' than the 1M is not the right choice. If you want something unique then the 1M is surely the ticket....as i'm sure you are well aware after owning one before!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 05:56 PM   #4
SloPoke
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I feel like I left with things I always wanted to do but never had the cash to. I am now in the position to pay cash for a car, house, and an SUV for the wife, so it might be time that I come back to unfinished business. This video from Alekshop always did me in

Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 06:53 PM   #5
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI
hey man! i think i remember talking to you once about your 1M when it was for sale!

i personally feel that if 'practicality' is not a concern, i'd rather have the 1M over the M4 or M5. The concept of the 1M is just something that won't be made again. Newer BMWs have a lot of tech and a lot of 'features'....but do they have enough character? personality? enjoyment? i don't think so. It all depends on what you want. If you want the 'latest thing' than the 1M is not the right choice. If you want something unique then the 1M is surely the ticket....as i'm sure you are well aware after owning one before!
Fully agree.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 07:05 PM   #6
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke
So after selling my AW about a year ago after owning it since new, I feel I may want to come back and play. I'm currently looking at either a 1M with budget left for goodies, a new M4, or a 2013/2014 M5. I know that all three are totally different cars and not often cross shopped. My only stipulation is that the back seat must have room for my two kids- 3 year old and 9 week old. Having driven back 1,000 miles from picking up my 1M in Connecticut with my son when he was 8 weeks old, I know it is doable.

I like the 1M because the rarity, looks and everything else you read about in the reviews. I also jump between cars every 2 years or so, and it will retain its value much better than the other two.

I like the M4 for the lines, interior, and the fact I can spec it out how I like it. I'll be testing one out this week so I will see if it is still on my list afterwards.

The M5 was not originally on my list but after testing one out in anger yesterday, it made me smile and giggle the whole test drive. There is just something cool about something that big going that fast. In sport plus the DCT is downright wicked and it moves out like few things I have ever driven. I don't like however that there is a new one on the horizon and I don't know if the novelty of its acceleration will where off when I can't really chuck it into the corners like the others on my list.

If I went 1M, I'd add full akra evo, KW V3, RB upgraded turbos (not sure if any other options are out since I left), and some ADV.1 wheels. Would also add a CF lip and diffuser from Revo.

If I went M4 I'd add some H&R springs, Meisterschaft GT2, and maybe some wheels when offsets are better known.

If I went M5, it would have similar mods as the M4, it would just have to be spaced out since my piggy bank would be empty after the purchase.
While the M5 made you giggle, if you are even for a moment still considering the 1M then you should cross-this-off-the-list, well that's if you care to actually break the cycle of being a 2 year buyer/leaser.

But hey if you love to have a new ride every two years then get the M5. As you mentioned you won't really have any mod cash so do a short term lease or something. You would be ready to sell in two years of course and don't forget that you will lose a TON of cash as the value drops if you were to buy it outright and then sell.

If you are considering a sedan, then why not the M3? More within your budget where you can add some mods ( it's cheaper than an M4 actually so) and a sedan would actually offer truly more practicality than the 1M whereas the The M4 doesn't. An m4 will cost you more than even a 1m in the used market and it will quickly over the next three years drop below the value of the 1M.

The M4 really doesn't add much practicality as far as seating is concerned. A 1m coupe is certainly able to hold 4 adults and also can accommodate a child seat as you indicated. In the M4, Baby seats and child seats are a longer reach in to pick up or assist for the parents. That's not good for your back and the extra " legroom" really isn't going to be used unless the kids are 6-12. Growing Teenagers aren't gonna want to sit back there anyway and to be honest they wouldn't be much more comfortable than if in the 1M. At least with an M3 sedan occupants actually get to utilize the longer wheelbase and legroom by having better access through the rear doors.

Of course if BMW made an M2 gran coupe .....
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 08:37 PM   #7
providence
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35xi, F15 X5 (35d), 1M

As Mr Adjuster stated above.. I'd strongly consider the M3...
I recently drove one and my head is thick with the prospects... I too have little ones and though the car is fun, rare, turns heads everywhere I go... Traveling with the family is still a bit of a pain (I seem to get flamed every time is mention this on this forum).
Can one still get new Akra systems for these? I thought I read several posts suggesting production has stopped few months back...?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 05:02 AM   #8
SloPoke
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by providence
As Mr Adjuster stated above.. I'd strongly consider the M3...
I recently drove one and my head is thick with the prospects... I too have little ones and though the car is fun, rare, turns heads everywhere I go... Traveling with the family is still a bit of a pain (I seem to get flamed every time is mention this on this forum).
Can one still get new Akra systems for these? I thought I read several posts suggesting production has stopped few months back...?
Yes the M3 would be more practical, but the lines on the M4 are so much nicer IMO. I've had the 1M with my first, and I know it's a bit of a pain, but still something that I could overlook since it is doable. As far as the Akra goes. I don't know. I just checked some websites and they are showing in stock, but you know how that doesn't necessarily mean anything.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 06:27 PM   #9
Rekraps01
1M Two Timer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M VO

Do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post

So, take it from me, I sold my original VO 1M about 9 months after pick-up and regretted it so much that it cost me +$5K to get another just like it with more miles! Been happy ever since. These things are instant classic, instant conversation starters, rarely if ever seen and a great investment! I'd get another if my wife would allow me to own two.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 01:48 AM   #10
css008
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 1m

Akra stated they were going to end production, but "due to demand" they are still producing.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 10:20 AM   #11
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M VO

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by css008 View Post
Akra stated they were going to end production, but "due to demand" they are still producing.
Good to know considering I'm looking to get one but will be awhile. Engagement ring or Akra exhaust...decisions, decisions.
Appreciate 0