BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-18-2012, 09:32 AM   #1
PASE624
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X1

How to get moisture out of headlight???

i got a question. if i get a headlight for 2008 135i CONVERTIBLE, just the right side, what else do i need to purchase. what consists of the whole headlight assembly? currently my wife's right headlight has moisture in it and dealership wont cover it because while putting in a LUX angel eye, they said it ripped a wire or some bullshit, leaving a gap. so it has moisture in side the headlight and i wanna replace it. dealership is charging me so much for a single headlight unit. fuckin' homos...

how can i check if it's not sealing properly, if there is a gap, etc?? dealership said the module is fucked...however, when i brought it in to the dealership, the lights came on but only had moisture inside the headlight. im so confused....ANY HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED...
      04-18-2012, 10:44 AM   #2
Vorsprung_CJB
Private
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

What worked for me once on my GTI was to remove the back cover, then shine a heat lamp on the front of the headlight (careful not to cook your paint or anything) until the water evaporated. Then I taped a bag of silica gel to the inside of the back cover and closed it up. Seemed to keep it clear.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 11:53 AM   #3
PASE624
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X1

okay, thx..but first i gotta find where it doesnt seal. how can i go about doing that?
      04-18-2012, 12:42 PM   #4
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkwon9285 View Post
okay, thx..but first i gotta find where it doesnt seal. how can i go about doing that?
There is really no exact way to go about doing so as moisture can get into any small opening you can't even see...

Best bet would be to throw some silica packets in the back and hope for the best. Maybe check you back of the headlight seal and see if it is damaged.
      04-18-2012, 04:01 PM   #5
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

If you see moisture there's probably a puddle in there somewhere and that's more than a silica packet can handle. What worked for me in the past is to open the cover, point a fan at the back of the headlight, and let it blow air on it all night. This is assuming that you are in a dry environment - ie it hasn't rained lately. By morning it'll have all evaporated and you can put the cover back on.

As for what's blocking it, who knows. It could be a wire pinched in the seal that was there but isn't any more, it could be the Lux box pressing on something so that the seal doesn't come together, who knows. You have to figure that one out.

Don't be too pissed at the dealer, if you screwed up the headlight yourself it makes sense that they don't want to call it a warranty problem - because it isn't. If you opened it up, modified something inside, and then didn't get it back together properly it's not for them to give you free parts and labor to fix your mistake.

If it lights up but just has moisture, then do the above to evaporate it. Get things back together and cross your fingers it stays that way.
Appreciate 0