BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-16-2011, 11:57 PM   #221
mrow
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

All season tires for stock wheels?

Anyone know of any run flat all season tires for our stock wheels? I was looking on tire rack and didn't see much out there. I really don't want to buy a whole new set of wheels for winter as we don't get a whole lot of snow and I will only be driving the car on weekends (I walk to work). They don't have to be super good in snow, just something that'll keep me out of a ditch where the stock summer tires will no doubt put me.

So I guess what I'm looking for here is just something with a little more cold weather traction than the PS2s.

I've asked my dealer if he'll take the stock tires and give me some all seasons instead. But in case he doesn't know of any or he says no anyone out there have any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 09:39 AM   #222
analogue
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, iX

Just to complete the trifecta with Drillslinger and Cossac, here is what the 219M wheels look like on VO.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 09:48 AM   #223
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

Would these work as a square setup?

FRONT- 18X8.0
REAR- 18X8.0
OFFSET- 35MM
BOLT PATTERN- 5X120MM
HUB BORE- 72.5

Last edited by TunedM2C; 11-17-2011 at 11:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 10:04 AM   #224
Drillslinger
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M / R53 / E91

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogue View Post
Just to complete the trifecta with Drillslinger and Cossac, here is what the 219M wheels look like on VO.
Dude, nice Looks like you got the Dunlop's as well, am I seeing that right?
IMHO (non-biased of course ) I think these rims look great on all 3 colors

Vorsprung durch Gas Geben!!

172 of 740
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 11:43 AM   #225
Acidblast
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1 Series M Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogue View Post
looks good

i'm looking for a winter setup. how much did those run you and where did you get it from? if you don't mind
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 01:13 PM   #226
analogue
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drillslinger View Post
Dude, nice Looks like you got the Dunlop's as well, am I seeing that right?
IMHO (non-biased of course ) I think these rims look great on all 3 colors
Yup, Dunlop SP Wintersports at 235/40/18 and 255/40/18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidblast View Post
looks good

i'm looking for a winter setup. how much did those run you and where did you get it from? if you don't mind
Once I had my production number this summer I started watching the M3 private seller forum: http://www.m3post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=277

Seemed that the going price for these wheels was around $1k w/o tires. Picked up a set for myself there and then had a local shop mount and balance the tires and TPMS.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 02:59 AM   #227
hybris4u
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 1-serie M Coupé and BMW X5

It has been a pain to find winter wheels for the 1M. ;-)

I did check VMR but they cannot deliver the V710. None in stock and no clue when they have new.

Did think Apex ARC-8 but that would mean 18" and 9.5 square setup. Meaning a bit wide tires for winter use. I was thinking about using the same wheels for winter and track use.

The 270M? As said earlier really don't like the looks and price. Need spacers to not look terrible in the back. Lousy rubber for real winter (Michelin Pilot Alpin). Expensive if bought without rubber. So not an option for me.

The M3 wheels is an option. Short delivery time and fits directly on the car. 19". 235/35/19 front and 255/35/19 in the back by default. A fairly good options. Still not the cheapest rims. Good option though!

My current plan is to put winter tires on the original wheels. Go down one size front and back. Go for the Nokian rubber. Cheapest option for me and still with good "Nordic" rubber with or without spikes. Will order on Monday to have the rubber when I get delivery in January in the middle of the Swedish winter.

In spring I will probably go for Apex 18", 9.5 square setup for track days.

Just my plan after so much research. Hard to find good winter tires for our car! ;-)
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 08:03 AM   #228
theshiningnova
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruf View Post
my certificate of conformity mentiones these sizes:

1) STANDARD TIRES AND RIMS:
245/35 ZR19 93Y 9Jx19/ET31 (FRONT)
265/35 ZR19 98Y 10Jx19/ET25 (BACK)

2) WINTER TIRES AND RIMS
235/40 R18 95V M+S 8Jx18 ET20 (FRONT AND BACK)

The search isn't that easy...
I'm still looking for a decent winter set too.
Can anyone tell me if this means *ANY* 8Jx18 with 20mm offset wheel will fit on 1M? Are there any exceptions at all? Tirerack seems to be suggesting that knowing these dimensions alone isn't enough. You wouldn't know if it fits until you try it on, is this right?

Been doing research on this topic all day long and it turns out to be much harder to buy the right wheels+tires combo that you like, is affordable and fits.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 08:09 AM   #229
theshiningnova
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuned1 View Post
Would these work as a square setup?

FRONT- 18X8.0
REAR- 18X8.0
OFFSET- 35MM
BOLT PATTERN- 5X120MM
HUB BORE- 72.5

Offset calculator says your outer position would retract by 35mm! Did you add some serious spacer as well?

Last edited by theshiningnova; 11-21-2011 at 08:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 11:59 AM   #230
hybris4u
Captain
Rep

I did order Nokian Hakka 7 for the original rims. 255/40/19 for the back and 235/35/19 for the front. I did went with spikes as I hope for snow and ice. Would be lovely as we usually plow tracks on frozen lakes in the winter. Could be some fun with the 1M... ;-)

Will focus on track rims for the spring instead of spending money on winter rims. The Apex ARC-8 in 9.5 and 18" cost less than the 270M wheels...

@theshiningnova: I had the same problem. You cannot be 100% sure until you fit the rims on the car. But one detail that do make it easier is the fact the the E9x M3 rims fit on the 1M. So options for the E9x M3 should also be options for the 1M. My personal plan B was to look for used E9x M3 wheels. Should be a bunch of used ones for sale... ;-)
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 12:26 PM   #231
ZCP M3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M Coupe #759

I found some more 18x8 ET20 wheels. Made by TSW and half the price of the BMW Winter wheels FWIW.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...r=1&wd=18&rw=8
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 10:50 AM   #232
Acidblast
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1 Series M Coupé

quick question. can i get the 219M and mount them on a square setup of 235/40/18?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 11:30 AM   #233
theshiningnova
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybris4u View Post
I did order Nokian Hakka 7 for the original rims. 255/40/19 for the back and 235/35/19 for the front. I did went with spikes as I hope for snow and ice. Would be lovely as we usually plow tracks on frozen lakes in the winter. Could be some fun with the 1M... ;-)

Will focus on track rims for the spring instead of spending money on winter rims. The Apex ARC-8 in 9.5 and 18" cost less than the 270M wheels...

@theshiningnova: I had the same problem. You cannot be 100% sure until you fit the rims on the car. But one detail that do make it easier is the fact the the E9x M3 rims fit on the 1M. So options for the E9x M3 should also be options for the 1M. My personal plan B was to look for used E9x M3 wheels. Should be a bunch of used ones for sale... ;-)
I want some new wheels tho. Running a frozen lake sure does sound interesting!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 07:37 PM   #234
theshiningnova
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCP M3 View Post
I found some more 18x8 ET20 wheels. Made by TSW and half the price of the BMW Winter wheels FWIW.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...r=1&wd=18&rw=8
I know it's the same 18x8 ET20 dimensions as the official 270M package. Any idea if this is going to fit for sure tho?(brake clearance and all)
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2011, 05:06 AM   #235
JFT
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advevo View Post
Mount 20mm spacers rear you have same wide as original. Front are 2mm wider then original.

They had to use one ET value because otherwise they had develop 2 different size wheels.

I think they are perfect for winter. I have 20mm spacers only at the rear and now the fitment is perfect.
Hey Guys!

My first post here. I was lucky to get an allocation in Sweden and will have it in 6 weeks. I called every single BMW dealer in the country and got lucky with an obscure one! AW with very few otions.

My car will be delivered with the OEM 270 winter wheels with Michelins. Will I need to get new bolts for the rear wheels to accomodate the 20mm spacers or are the original bolts long enough?

Many thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2011, 05:59 AM   #236
Advevo
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, E30 M3 DTM

you need at least 2 cm longer bolts then original.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2011, 12:08 PM   #237
///BYU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFT View Post
Will I need to get new bolts for the rear wheels to accomodate the 20mm spacers or are the original bolts long enough?
I thought this was a helpful article: http://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-wh...yclopedia.aspx

Wheel Bolts
Remember that every wheel spacer needs a longer wheel bolt or stud. It's amazing how many bolts we sell without spacers so this fact is getting lost on a lot of people (or their supplier is leaving out critical information). The correct length wheel bolt is your stock bolt + the thickness of your spacer. As a general rule, we consider the stock BMW length bolt to be 25mm as measured from the base of the cone seat to the tip, including all threads and shank. So a 10mm spacer will require a 35mm wheel bolt. However, we have seen a range of stock BMW bolt sizes from 25 to 28mm. A bolt that is too long will interfere with other parts inside the hub (ABS sensors, parking brake mechanism, etc). Existing wheel bolt offerings may vary by 2-3mm but you can trust us that we have extensively researched, sold, used, and tested the fitments on all of the spacers and bolts that we sell. If a situation comes up where an unusual application is needed, we have many sizes to offer.

Turner sells the longer lug bolts (here). You just select the bolt based on the width of the spacer you're using. However, since you're in Sweden, you may be able to find a local option that will be faster and less expensive because of shipping. In this case I would assume the stock bolt is 25mm long (as noted above), so you should get a 45mm lug bolt for use with your 20mm spacer. That's 45mm, as measured from the base of the cone seat to the tip, including all threads and shank.

(This is a long way of saying the same thing as what Advevo said - 2cm longer than the stock lug bolts.)

According to RealOEM.com, the stock lug bolt for the 270 wheels is part number 36136781150. This is also the same part number for the lug bolts for the OE wheels (style 359), not surprisingly.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...14&hg=36&fg=15
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2011, 01:08 PM   #238
hybris4u
Captain
Rep

@jft: Another Swede with an AW 1M! Mine will be delivered in January. I did buy Nokian Hakka 7 for the original rims. Don't like the 270M and the Michelin Alpin is the European friction tires. Not very good if we get ice/snow. Save a bunch of money to skip winter wheels. ;-)
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2011, 01:47 PM   #239
burnsniper
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW F80 ZCP & 1M BSM

Any thoughts on 19" Continental Extreme Contact DWS for mild winters (i.e. Virginia with a backup beater)? I have these on one of my other cars and they are pretty soft for an AS and handle well. I don't plan on driving my 1M in the snow but chances are it will snow once or twice when I am out in the 1M.

I figure the DWS can be used even longer in the shoulder months increasing tire life for both the DWS and the PS2s. Also, having a backup set of 19" rims and tires isn't a bad thing in the case of the loss of a tire/rim.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2011, 02:47 PM   #240
hybris4u
Captain
Rep

If you don't have snow all the time that tires should be fine. The important thing if the temperature is below 7 degrees celsius is to have winter rubber as the summer become hard like ice hockey pucks. Can be really dangerous. That is number 1! Then it depends on if you do get a lot of snow or ice or not. If not the central european friction tires should be fine. I did go for Nordic rubber with spikes as I do hope for snow and ice. Still none here in Stockholm though... ;-)
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2011, 03:19 PM   #241
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

With snow in the 10 day forecast I had to make a decision so I just went with the sport edition A7's from tire rack. Will post pics when I mount them.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2011, 06:52 PM   #242
JFT
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///BYU View Post
I thought this was a helpful article: http://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-wh...yclopedia.aspx

Wheel Bolts
Remember that every wheel spacer needs a longer wheel bolt or stud. It's amazing how many bolts we sell without spacers so this fact is getting lost on a lot of people (or their supplier is leaving out critical information). The correct length wheel bolt is your stock bolt + the thickness of your spacer. As a general rule, we consider the stock BMW length bolt to be 25mm as measured from the base of the cone seat to the tip, including all threads and shank. So a 10mm spacer will require a 35mm wheel bolt. However, we have seen a range of stock BMW bolt sizes from 25 to 28mm. A bolt that is too long will interfere with other parts inside the hub (ABS sensors, parking brake mechanism, etc). Existing wheel bolt offerings may vary by 2-3mm but you can trust us that we have extensively researched, sold, used, and tested the fitments on all of the spacers and bolts that we sell. If a situation comes up where an unusual application is needed, we have many sizes to offer.

Turner sells the longer lug bolts (here). You just select the bolt based on the width of the spacer you're using. However, since you're in Sweden, you may be able to find a local option that will be faster and less expensive because of shipping. In this case I would assume the stock bolt is 25mm long (as noted above), so you should get a 45mm lug bolt for use with your 20mm spacer. That's 45mm, as measured from the base of the cone seat to the tip, including all threads and shank.

(This is a long way of saying the same thing as what Advevo said - 2cm longer than the stock lug bolts.)

According to RealOEM.com, the stock lug bolt for the 270 wheels is part number 36136781150. This is also the same part number for the lug bolts for the OE wheels (style 359), not surprisingly.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...14&hg=36&fg=15

Thanks - very helpful!
Appreciate 0