BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-17-2014, 11:38 AM   #1
cmcgonag
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 Cayenne Turbo - 2011 1M

Michelin PSS - Mercedes? Rear Fitment

So about to get some new tires...heard that the PSS dont come in the standard sizes...looking on tire rack there is a porsche and mercedes 265/35/19 Tire...anyone have a clue if this is ok (other than merc heresy being on my car)? I want to rock the standard fitment.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e&autoModClar=
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 11:50 AM   #2
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcgonag View Post
So about to get some new tires...heard that the PSS dont come in the standard sizes...looking on tire rack there is a porsche and mercedes 265/35/19 Tire...anyone have a clue if this is ok (other than merc heresy being on my car)? I want to rock the standard fitment.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e&autoModClar=
They come in standard sizes. I have them on my car and bought them from Tire Rack too, like many others. Better contact someone from Tire Rack to clear it up for you.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 12:14 PM   #3
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

More than likely there are two tires.

The OE spec tire for the merc/Porsche and the tire for all.

Perhaps one of them is out of stock temporarily and that's why just a single listing. ?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 07:07 PM   #4
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

They have an N0 Porsche spec tire in that size too (and it's cheaper), but I'd go with the Mercedes tire. The Porsche is for front fitment on a Carrera GT, and you'd prefer to use a tire not designed for the front. I've used the Merc spec tire with no issues, also the previous standard spec, don't think I can tell the difference.
      06-24-2014, 11:13 AM   #5
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

I had the back tires (PS2) replaced by new PSS........and I don`t like them at all, unstable at high speed and quick steering responses makes the car very loos at the back, very very hard to control.

Now I`m going back to PS2 tires

I was surprised the new PSS had a MO mark on them; meaning Mercedes Original !
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 11:59 AM   #6
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romo View Post
I had the back tires (PS2) replaced by new PSS........and I don`t like them at all, unstable at high speed and quick steering responses makes the car very loos at the back, very very hard to control.

Well Romo, you replaced just the backs and mixed them with PS2 at front; plus you bought Mercedes spec ones.

I have a full set of PSS since more than 14,000 km. and high speed unstability is the last criticism that would come to my mind, on the contrary. I am talking about up to 266 km/h (GPS reading) high speeds by the way.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 11:59 AM   #7
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

You mixed old PS2 in front with new PSS in back, or?
      06-24-2014, 12:11 PM   #8
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep

Yes, but no one told me not to do so. I wouldn`t be a problem I was told.

The MO mark I was told there where no other PSS available ! No BMW PSS 265 with a * mark on them

Anyhow; I`m replacing all 4 tires now; PS2 just the way it was, just the way I like it. All at a descent discount, the dealer should have known better, I too
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 12:16 PM   #9
TXmtrhed
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
If you're mixing old fronts with new rears just the difference in tread depth could cause a perceptible effect.
Just food for thought, but the PSS's also come with slightly deeper tread depth than the PS2 tires. 8.5/32" vs 10/32" (rear). It's not much but that's a 18% increase. Combine that with wear on your front tires and different construction you might end up with different slip angles than you were used to.
      06-24-2014, 12:20 PM   #10
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep

I have contacted Advevo, who is a friend of mine. He told me the PS2 has more driving stability than the PSS.

That judgement is more than enough for me, all 4 new PS2 are coming back !

Yes I know now; the mixing was not the most clever thing to do, the dealer should have warned me, the front had 4mm left, so not immediate need for replacement!

It will not happen again, I can assure you !

Did I tell overhere I have a Porsche Cayman GTS on order? ETA 2nd-3th week of August, Sapphire Blue, PDK, all the driver goodies on it.....

Oh, the 1M is staying :-)

Last edited by Romo; 06-24-2014 at 12:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 12:34 PM   #11
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes I know now; the mixing was not the most clever thing to do, the dealer should have warned me, the front had 4mm left, so not immediate need for replacement!
You should really try replacing the fronts before passing judgement on the PSS. I'm not surprised at your experience, as the PS2 is so much sharper on turn in. Technically it has a much shorter "relaxation length": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relaxation_length

Bad idea to mix short and long relaxation length, as you found out. However for reference when I replaced only my rear PSS and kept the old fronts I had exactly the opposite behavior. The sticker compound of the fresh PSS at the rear caused terminal understeer... I've always replaced all four since.
      06-24-2014, 09:00 PM   #12
cmcgonag
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 Cayenne Turbo - 2011 1M

Thanks guys. Just ordered my set.
Appreciate 0