BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-20-2013, 10:39 AM   #1
crvz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C, '21 F150 Tremor

Audio upgrade build for 2013 135i

Thought I'd share a bit of my car. For some reason when I had kids I thought a reasonable car was the way to go, and I was driving a crewmax Tundra for a few years before I wanted back into something more engaging on the road (I've had a wrx in the past). I was sold on bmw mostly due the UK top gear propaganda, so after driving a 135 I placed an order in August 2013. This is a 135i m-sport 6MT with performance package, heated seats, and park distance control, oyster interior.

I've had a bit of drama with the dealership so far... from promising options on the car that didnt exist to not finishing assembly after working on it for a service engine light (resulted in undercarriage falling off the car on the freeway), but it's been going well now for a month and I'm delighted with the car. It's got 1200 miles so far, and I'm starting to think of upgrades. First will be audio, and I've ordered a JL XD600/6 to replace the factory amp and I started fiberglassing the drivers side trunk opening for a sub box. I'm sure this will be a long project, but I'll keep this thread updated as I progress. I have minimal talent on fabrication (though worked as an MECP installer years back), but it's not too hard and hopefully I'll get it right the first time.

I havent settled on all the components yet outside the JL amp. I still need to pick a sub (I have an Alpine Type-R 12" slim at the house, though I'm unsure I want to reuse it). I imagine I'll get the jehnert flatline series for door and 8" woofer replacement. And while I'm going to try to be satisfied with the factory radio, that is an open question.

Here's a shot of the first step of the fiberglass.

Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 11:37 PM   #2
mechavore884
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: the fat mobile

*regarding the sub why not an Fi Q? or an IDMAX? (just curious?)
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 11:38 PM   #3
mechavore884
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: the fat mobile

but keep us posted...really interested (especially since Im doing my overhaul) this weekend
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 04:29 PM   #4
E30 Racer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '09 335i M Sport

Any reason you chose the driver rear location for the enclosure? Seems like the passenger side would be better. The amp is located on driver's side, and aftermarket amps like the the JL XD/HD can be stacked there nicely. If you stack, there's factory carpet that can cover everything and look stock.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 02:38 PM   #5
crvz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I figured I'd update this thread since it's old and left hanging...

I went through a couple different items of hardware before settling on what's in the car right now. First thing I attempted was to replace the factory radio. I hated that it didnt have bluetooth audio, so I bought an alpine cde-hd149bt. I really like the radio. Great user interface, loads of audio control. But i could NOT get it installed with RCAs without significant engine whine. And I tried almost everything, including installing the radio in the trunk with 12" RCAs and taking power/ground right from the battery or from the amp. I tried a different radio, no difference. I tried a audiocontrol EQS in line with just the factory radio, and that gave me whine as well. Basically if I stuck any input into the JL XD600/6 amp other than the balanced output coming from the stock radio, I had engine whine. So I returned all that crap and went straight with the factory radio and hardwired a simple bluetooth audio reciever into the aux audio input. It's stupid but it works.

Then I went to Musicarnw and got the level one speaker upgrades for the doors and under-seat 8" drivers. I'm using the JL XD600/6 (it's actually the marine version of that amp) on those speakers (thus far leaving the rears factory), and I bought a JL M600/1 for a sub amp. Everything is installed utilizing one of Technic's harnesses to replace the factory amp (splitting the rear output to the sub amp).

I scrapped the sub box that I built as I realized it was going to ruin the ability to throw a stroller in the trunk. Right now I just have a simple square box with the slim type-r sub, but I desire to upgrade that speaker. I'll see about adding some pictures if there's interest.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 02:40 PM   #6
crvz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Oh, and I'm very happy with the sound of the level 1 speaker upgrade. I want more from the subwoofer, but I need to upgrade that in any case. I'd highly recommend that upgrade if you're wanting more fidelity out of your audio system.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 05:44 PM   #7
Adam135
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i

Two SWS earthquake 8" under-seat subs with spacers on an XD600/6 amp will produce a ton of bass. Plenty for me, and I am coming from a JL 12w6. You won't get the really low frequencies but it's good enough. The spacers are very important, they greatly increase output.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 08:06 PM   #8
velociti
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Where does one get spacers? I have the base 6.5s and I'll be replacing them soon...
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 09:07 AM   #9
crvz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by velociti View Post
Where does one get spacers? I have the base 6.5s and I'll be replacing them soon...
I bought speakers that did not require spacers, they fit right in place. I got them from musicarnw, but you'll need to call or email them to see what they would see those by themselves for. I did not get the full level 1 package, just the door and underseat speakers.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 03:19 PM   #10
Adam135
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by velociti View Post
The spacers are to add speaker box volume so they are louder. I didn't use these but seems like they should work

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/ground-zero-gzbr200bmw
Appreciate 0