BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-22-2015, 06:24 PM   #23
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Pulled it back because my level of driving skill combined with the use of my car as DD, spirited weekend, and an occasional track day in the future didn't make sense for so much camber. Still kept a bit of understeer dialed in so that I could get used to driving a bit harder and harder without it oversteering in the canyons and thus making it unforgiving.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 07:54 PM   #24
BMW135pls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bucket of screws and sadness

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtla1 View Post
Pulled it back because my level of driving skill combined with the use of my car as DD, spirited weekend, and an occasional track day in the future didn't make sense for so much camber. Still kept a bit of understeer dialed in so that I could get used to driving a bit harder and harder without it oversteering in the canyons and thus making it unforgiving.
Cool man. Yeah my usage is 90% daily as well, so maybe I should stick with the more conservative alignment for my purposes. For my uses though, I think I'd like more oversteer than I've got now, or maybe I should say less understeer. I hate understeer, I could get that driving experience from a Corolla. I am fairly certain that (only while discussing camber, I know the total picture is important and there are many causes) having a decent amount less camber in the rears relative to the fronts will give me less understeer. If not, then please someone correct me
      06-23-2015, 12:18 PM   #25
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW135pls View Post
Cool man. Yeah my usage is 90% daily as well, so maybe I should stick with the more conservative alignment for my purposes. For my uses though, I think I'd like more oversteer than I've got now, or maybe I should say less understeer. I hate understeer, I could get that driving experience from a Corolla. I am fairly certain that (only while discussing camber, I know the total picture is important and there are many causes) having a decent amount less camber in the rears relative to the fronts will give me less understeer. If not, then please someone correct me
By amount of days, yes my car is 90% DD, but by mileage, its more like 10%DD, the rest spirited driving. I think you would enjoy the alignment setup I have then if you could get there, even a tad bit less camber I think would work for you.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 05:10 PM   #26
dbronnik
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N54 E88

Garage List
Quote:
IMO, your next big step after alignment would be wider tires up front (I changed from 225/255 (your current setup?) to 245/255 and it was a huge improvement).
      06-23-2015, 06:39 PM   #27
BMW135pls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bucket of screws and sadness

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbronnik View Post
IMO, your next big step after alignment would be wider tires up front (I changed from 225/255 (your current setup?) to 245/255 and it was a huge improvement).
Awesome, thanks for the tip. Do I need to get larger rims for the front? I'm not familiar with my current sizes, aside from that they are stock M sport. And you are correct, 225/255 is my current setup.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 08:49 PM   #28
dbronnik
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N54 E88

Garage List
Quote:
Awesome, thanks for the tip. Do I need to get larger rims for the front? I'm not familiar with my current sizes, aside from that they are stock M sport. And you are correct, 225/255 is my current setup.
Stock M sports are 7.5" front, 8.5" rear (or at least I know they were for 2008).
Can't remember for sure but I think Michelin recommends at least 8" for their 245/18/40 MPSS, which is what you'd want to fit up front..

You could certainly fit them, but I wouldn't recommend it!