BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-27-2015, 03:50 PM   #1
ccdre
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 AW 135i, '13 Frozen M3

Buying tires at the dealership?

I just received this $100 off "coupon" from a local dealer.
  • Are the dealership tire prices generally in line with tirerack / America's Tire Co.?
  • Will the dealer install a size other than OE?
  • Do they have decent brand selection or do they push the runflat stuff?

I might give them a call tomorrow to check things out but was wondering if anyone has experience with this.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-27-2015, 08:47 PM   #2
lowside67
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i

Are the dealership tire prices generally in line with tirerack / America's Tire Co.? Very seldom.
Will the dealer install a size other than OE? Varies, most will concede if you really push though.
Do they have decent brand selection or do they push the runflat stuff? They will push the RFTs hard and likely only stock them plus one or two other brands, but can probably order other options.

Mark
      12-28-2015, 08:11 AM   #3
lowbudgethero
Captain
Rep
Drives: '98 Z3M (gone), '09 135i

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [8.50]
You're going to be paying more without a doubt, with the discount it just makes it closer to a normal tire shop.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 09:06 AM   #4
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Not all dealers. We have a national Michelin account. We sell them cheaper than most local tire shops, and are on par with Tirerack.

Only way to know for sure is call and get an exact price. Without doing that, you are just shooting in the dark.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 12:42 PM   #5
ccdre
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 AW 135i, '13 Frozen M3

Alright, I made the call to the dealership and confirmed pretty much all that was stated above.

Majority of the in-stock tires were run flats.
They do have Michelin PSS in stock, in the size I need for $978.82 for the set. This is still $60 more than tirerack, even after the $100 off.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 09:58 PM   #6
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccdre View Post
Alright, I made the call to the dealership and confirmed pretty much all that was stated above.

Majority of the in-stock tires were run flats.
They do have Michelin PSS in stock, in the size I need for $978.82 for the set. This is still $60 more than tirerack, even after the $100 off.
My dealer only sells Run Flats, so that was a non-starter from the git-go. They are, however, extremely accommodating. I have confirmed with them that they will install whatever I want installed, as long as they can get it to fit on the rims.

I'm not a modder, and prefer to go stock. Since I have replaced the run flats on all of my 1-Series cars with Michelins that come in the stock sizes, that is what I have gone with. The last time, with my 135is convertible, I had a set of AS/3s in the stock sizes delivered directly to the dealer from Tirerack, before my scheduled appointment. They charged me about $100 to install and balance the set, and then I had them do an alignment also. Local tire chains here charge around $100 to mount and balance 4 tires. The dealer charges about the same price that Les Schwab (large tire chain present in my market) charges to align a vehicle.

I do like my dealership because they don't try to force me to do things I don't want to do, to buy things I don't want to buy, and their charges when I do what I want are pretty reasonable.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 11:41 AM   #7
Mr Rooty Von Tooty
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135i M-Sport

I wouldn't buy anything from a dealer unless I had to.

I've been buying tires from the local Discount Tire store for many years. They'll match Tire Rack or any other price. They fix flats and rotate tires free. More importantly, they'll carefully mount my tires on my expensive vehicles following my instructions.

One other handy things is they'll do free air checks any time I show up. I don't even use my tire gauge anymore. I let the TPMS warn me when to do a check.
Appreciate 0