E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > how horrible is a stock audio system??

05-13-2005, 03:25 PM   #1
johnnny
Rep
Drives: 330

how horrible is a stock audio system??

I am driving maxima with bose system.
Comparing to my current bose system, e90's stock will be horrible???
If they are about to same quality, I don't mind having a stock audio.......
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2005, 04:18 PM   #2
DHC
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW E90 325i

Bose is generally inferior to other makes. It's amazing what a mammoth advertising budget can do for one's reputation.

The stock BMW system is superior to a Bose.

Of course, the above is simply my (educated) opinion. For others' view on the matter, check out any audiophile website and post your query. www.audiogon.com has some good forums.
      05-13-2005, 05:04 PM   #3
johnnny
Rep
Drives: 330

Really???? BMW stock is better than Bose in maxima???
Then I'll have no problem w/o logic 7...........
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2005, 07:23 PM   #4
vivid
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: 135i, 323i

Johnny, I have an FX45 with a Bose system, I ripped it out as soon as I could; it was god awful... The only thing the Bose had was fairly loud base but the base was not tight nor responsive, the mids and highs were nearly non existent... To my ear it was painful to hear music massacred like the Bose system did... That being said I have not heard the logic 7 system but many have compared it to the Mark Levinson systems in Lexus which is, in my book, the best system out there.

PS Logic 7 is made by Lexicon (a division of HK) who only makes audiophile level equipment... So it should be damn good.

Current: 135i, 323i wagon.
Sold:GTI
Sold: FX45
Sold: E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2005, 10:54 PM   #5
frothboy
Rep
Drives: 97 Jeep Wrangler

I brought a Rage Against the Machine CD too my test drive, as suggested on this board. The stock 330 system is absolutely amazing. Not sure the salesman liked my choice of music.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2005, 11:01 PM   #6
spikes111
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

LOL nice choice for music frothboy! Do they have a new CD out? Anyways, that's good music to test the bass/treble.
      05-14-2005, 01:43 PM   #7
DHC
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW E90 325i

Frothboy,

So you blasted the poor sales guy's ears with a little Rage? Nicely done.

Almost without exception, car stereos and speakers are the bottom of the barrel. Horribly cheap components for the tweeters, speaker surrounds, dustcovers, amps and wiring. I'll give the benefit of the doubt to the Lexus since Mark Levinson is one the great American audio brands (even though Mr. Levinson isn't involved with the company anymore).

But Bose takes it to the next level of mediocrity.

Compare the quality of Bose components to the selection at your local Radio Shack. Rat Shack's speakers use the same quality materials yet cost significantly less.

If you want quality audio in your car, I recommend you look at aftermarket speakers. That's where, for a nominal investment, you can drastically improve sound quality.

Sorry if I come off as some sort of snob. My second favorite obsession (next to my soon-to-arrive E90) is audio and I love talking stereos. Check out the forums on www.audiogon.com. There are some serious audiophiles on that site and will give better advice than I can.
      05-14-2005, 02:58 PM   #8
Armen52
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
The guys at bimmerfest chewed my head off when I suggested that the for the money of the Logic7 upgrade on the 325 you should be able to get a better system aftermarket.

Something about MOST fiber optics and DSP. Man I don't know I'm not an expert. I just know that usually that's the case. I also know Logic7 is more than I'll ever want.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2005, 12:52 PM   #9
AidenL
Driving !
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 530e XDrive

Is everyone with the stock 10 speaker system happy, or do you have any regrets in not specifying Logic 7?

Over here, we get 6 speakers as standard, upgrading to Hi Fi gives us the 10 speakers and amp of your stock system, and Logic 7 is a further upgrade - I've gone with the middle option, wondering if I should cough up the extra for L7?
      08-10-2005, 01:00 PM   #10
Broken1
Addict
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i M-Sport

AdienL - I upgraded to the 10 speaker system, and while it's not as good as the logic 7- I am happy! The sound is clear, and the bass is enough...although not thudd thudd bass!

The sound doesn't distort...even at quite high listening volumes! That's just my oppinion... I'm not such an audiophile...just someone who likes music...and likes music to sound good - it does!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2005, 01:03 PM   #11
billgti
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330i

marketing has done wonders for bose's brand and reputation but every audiophile will tell u they suck.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2005, 01:16 PM   #12
AidenL
Driving !
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 530e XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken1
AdienL - I upgraded to the 10 speaker system, and while it's not as good as the logic 7- I am happy! The sound is clear, and the bass is enough...although not thudd thudd bass!

The sound doesn't distort...even at quite high listening volumes! That's just my oppinion... I'm not such an audiophile...just someone who likes music...and likes music to sound good - it does!
Thank you Seems you probably have the same options as we have here, in that the 10 speaker system is an upgrade for us......

The thought of processing on the Logic 7 is actually deterring me, I usually don't use any effects modes while listening to music....
      08-10-2005, 01:17 PM   #13
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i MT

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
I wonder how much better the Logic 7 would sound if the speakers alone were upgraded.

Danny
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2005, 02:49 PM   #14
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned, as all true audiophiles would mention, that in the world of car stereos, the utmost consequential piece of the stereo system would be, hands-down, the amplifier.

I am riding in a crappy Honda Civic right now with stock speakers. I just loaded a 12" woofer for added bass but besides that, added a decent 200W amplifier. Now, in this case power rating is not an issue, as I don't usually listen to loud music. Distortion is key here and most amplifiers in stock cars are horrid. The amplifier I added into my jalopy makes my system sound better than most car systems I've listened to! That includes all the Bose systems from the G35s, Maximas, and Audis I have sat in. Hell, sounded good enough I didn't bother upgrading speakers.

I'm from the audiophile world, and there is nothing that tops a forum like avs (www.avsforum.com). Any other forums are doggerel. Many of those guys on avs are pure geniuses who know what they are doing.

The funny thing about how overrated "speakers" are compared to "amplifiers" is exemplified at avsforum - is it no coincidence that the amps forum has many more posts than the speakers forum?

Moral of the day: if you buy $1,000 worth of speakers and installed them onto your car, they won't end up sounding half as good as buying a $300 amplifier with the stock speakers.

EDIT: I made a typo. The amplifier is not the consequential piece of equipment in just car stereos, but ALL audiophile stereos.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2005, 03:02 PM   #15
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i MT

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
I guess that means your a "TRUE" audiophile and I am not...read "big dummy". Happy?

Danny
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2005, 06:26 PM   #16
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

I wasn't targeting anyone. Just surprised that no one has really shed any useful or pertinent information. Nothing but bilge here. You don't have to focus on a BMW forum in order to find good audio advice for your ride. Pretty much any audio forum will work.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2005, 06:34 PM   #17
CC 330i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330i SG/Blk/Alum

Well I had a Bose system in my last car, and the Logic7 in my 330i is at least as good. Better for some things, but maybe not as crisp in the high range as the Bose was. If you are really into hip-hop, you might be disappointed with the bass response, but I find it fine.

It seems very good for most types of music. Maybe not thumpy enough for those who like 15 inch subwoofers, but very good for most different types of music. And the amount of shaping you can do to the frequency range is very good. There is a very comprehensive equalizer (which can help disguise some of the amp and speaker's shortcomings).
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2005, 08:06 PM   #18
younghov85
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 black 325

the stock 325i sound system is good, it has two subwoofers, one under each seat, the only problem i have is that BMW states there is ten speakers stock when its really eight
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2005, 09:45 AM   #19
E90 Enthusiast
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by younghov85
the stock 325i sound system is good, it has two subwoofers, one under each seat, the only problem i have is that BMW states there is ten speakers stock when its really eight
I think they count the rear deck speakers as four, even though there are two grill covers - a separate mid range and tweeter for each side...
      08-11-2005, 10:15 AM   #20
egtlover74
Photographer
Rep
Drives: 335is Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90 Enthusiast
I think they count the rear deck speakers as four, even though there are two grill covers - a separate mid range and tweeter for each side...
There are two speakers on dashboard, two on side mirrors, two on the lower part of the doors, two subwoofers under the seats, and two speakers in the back seat area.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2005, 08:50 AM   #21
nawtyxes
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire E90

went to the dealership on Saturday to specifically ask my salesman to let me hear the stock system stereo in the 325i. He said no problem, walked me over to the car, we got in, I pulled out my cd, apologized in advance for the references to hoes, pimps, guns and bling that he was about to hear and then proceeded to play the disc. I adjusted the bass to 0 and the treble to 5. Everything sounded great. Sound was coming from all angles, and it was clear. My CA even commented that he had never really heard the speakers sound so good and was encouring me to take it up more, he wanted to see when distortion would occur. In all I was truly impressed with the sound and now I really can't wait for my first drive. Hopefully it will be at the end of the week.
      08-18-2005, 08:10 PM   #22
MonacoBlueNJ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 330i

Squawks, don't want to start a fight here but drivers are by far the most important aspect of a quality setup. If you were forced to skimp on one part of your system, amps should be the first. With quality signal processing(head unit, crossovers) and quality drivers, its really diminishing returns for money spent on "reference" amps as long as you have a quality with a low distortion level.
In your example, obviously anything powered by an outboard amp is going to sound a hell of a lot better than something ran off the head unit. Also, you are right amp wattage(and speaker sensativity) is directly related to distortion-but I'll take average amps and good drivers and sound processing over average drivers and good amps anyday.
Appreciate 0