BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-29-2012, 09:43 PM   #1
Clovef
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Help adjusting camber plates

I just got ohlin coilovers and vorshlag camber plates. I am running a 45 offset 18" wheel with 235/40/18 star specs. The fires are rubbing on the strut Hightower adjust tubes with 2 degrees camber.

I tried loosening the three nuts on the strut tower jacking up one side and pushing or pulling the wheel but it would not budge. I took off the wheel and pulled on the strut. I think I may have gotten it to move the bottom inward which is the wrong way right? Help this is supposed to be easy.
2011 BMW 135i DCT M Sport, black sapphire metallic,Coral red tint, black line tail lights, back grils, BMW Performance spoiler, Apex ARC8, 235/265 Dunlop ZIIs, Ohlins coilovers w/ Swift springs, M3 front bits, Whiteline rear sub frame bushings, Vorshlag camber plates, Stoptech pads, stud conversion, spacers, bms intake
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 11:18 PM   #2
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clovef View Post
I just got ohlin coilovers and vorshlag camber plates. I am running a 45 offset 18" wheel with 235/40/18 star specs. The fires are rubbing on the strut Hightower adjust tubes with 2 degrees camber.

I tried loosening the three nuts on the strut tower jacking up one side and pushing or pulling the wheel but it would not budge. I took off the wheel and pulled on the strut. I think I may have gotten it to move the bottom inward which is the wrong way right? Help this is supposed to be easy.
Try getting both front wheels off of the ground. You are fighting the sway bar by jacking up on one side of the car only.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 11:45 PM   #3
Clovef
First Lieutenant
Rep

Doh! I ended up raising it up so the spring was over the tire in the front which was a lot. I think the front is now about stock hight and the spring is compressed down to about 6.5 inches. I could not figure out what else to do. Is there any problem running it like I have it besides it looking a little funny? Any chance this is the result of having the front and rear springs switched? Thanks Harlod.
2011 BMW 135i DCT M Sport, black sapphire metallic,Coral red tint, black line tail lights, back grils, BMW Performance spoiler, Apex ARC8, 235/265 Dunlop ZIIs, Ohlins coilovers w/ Swift springs, M3 front bits, Whiteline rear sub frame bushings, Vorshlag camber plates, Stoptech pads, stud conversion, spacers, bms intake
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 11:58 PM   #4
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Doh! I ended up raising it up so the spring was over the tire in the front which was a lot. I think the front is now about stock hight and the spring is compressed down to about 6.5 inches. I could not figure out what else to do. Is there any problem running it like I have it besides it looking a little funny? Any chance this is the result of having the front and rear springs switched? Thanks Harlod.
If you have a wider than normal wheel/tire and an offset that is going to put your wheel/tire right up against the strut, the best thing to do if you want to stay lowered is to add a 3-5 mm spacer.

The rear spring is 10" so it's not possible you had it switched. The front 8" spring will not work in the back at all.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 07:19 AM   #5
Clovef
First Lieutenant
Rep

Okay, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 03:15 PM   #6
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Let me know how it turns out.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 07:56 PM   #7
Clovef
First Lieutenant
Rep

Well I had 4 guys in my car on the way to lunch and the tires rubbed horribly on the fender and liner. I think I need to rise the back up some. Wish I could do the alignment myself and see if I could tuck the rear a little more and raise just a little. They feel fantastic as shocks and even more comfortable then stock with rft. I have not even come close to the limit yet. The process continues for now.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 11:19 PM   #8
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well I had 4 guys in my car on the way to lunch and the tires rubbed horribly on the fender and liner. I think I need to rise the back up some. Wish I could do the alignment myself and see if I could tuck the rear a little more and raise just a little. They feel fantastic as shocks and even more comfortable then stock with rft. I have not even come close to the limit yet. The process continues for now.
This is all happening on the front?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 07:23 AM   #9
Clovef
First Lieutenant
Rep

No, sorry it is the rear that rubbed with people in the back seats. I think I have the front sorted out now.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 11:15 AM   #10
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No, sorry it is the rear that rubbed with people in the back seats. I think I have the front sorted out now.
I see if you are 275 rears, that is wide and will require some work on the fender lip and possibly more ride height.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 02:04 PM   #11
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
I'm not sure how wide Star Specs are, but people I know who use 275 NT01s with those wheels add 5mm spacers to prevent rubbing on the chassis at the front of the wheel wells.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 02:36 PM   #12
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
I'm not sure how wide Star Specs are, but people I know who use 275 NT01s with those wheels add 5mm spacers to prevent rubbing on the chassis at the front of the wheel wells.
Yes, that can happen as well with wide tires.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 06:54 PM   #13
Clovef
First Lieutenant
Rep

I am going to raise the rear once it is not raining. I think I am going to get a set of spacers too. I need them to go lower in the front. They are rubbing on the fender lip at around 2 o'clock if I remember right. I think adding a spacer would make it worse. I have about -2degrees camber in the back as is so I don't know if I want to add more or if I even could.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 08:48 PM   #14
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am going to raise the rear once it is not raining. I think I am going to get a set of spacers too. I need them to go lower in the front. They are rubbing on the fender lip at around 2 o'clock if I remember right. I think adding a spacer would make it worse. I have about -2degrees camber in the back as is so I don't know if I want to add more or if I even could.
Have you rolled the rear fenders?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 11:13 PM   #15
Clovef
First Lieutenant
Rep

Nope. I may try to find a fender roller and do it myself. I did it once on one of my cars in the past but it is hard to roll it the further down you go if I remember right.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 11:37 PM   #16
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nope. I may try to find a fender roller and do it myself. I did it once on one of my cars in the past but it is hard to roll it the further down you go if I remember right.
Yes, it gets harder as you approach the end of the wheel openings.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 12:31 PM   #17
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

Quote:
It's not as easy to roll the rears on our cars. The lip is thick and if you're not careful you will get a nasty looking flare around the edge of the wheel well. Pay a professional for a slight roll and pull.

As for the front, I had the same issue with my AST's. I had about 2mm clearance between the tire and the spring perch which was too little for my taste (235 tires with 45 et). I picked up a set of 3mm spacers from HP and run 2.2 neg camber. Works great and the car is nice and low.

Another thing to look at is the mounting tabs in the front wheel well (where the fender and bumper mate up). I took a dremel and ground off the excess lip sticking out. I found that on both my 335 and 135 the tires rub there often before they rub on the wheel well lip.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 01:52 PM   #18
Clovef
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the advice guys. I was thinking of dremeling those tabs. Icant tell if it rubs there now but once I put spacers up front and lower it down some it might. I may end up paying someone to do it right in the back. I do fell like I will end up getting this all to work. Thanks again for all the help from everyone.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 11:17 AM   #19
Clovef
First Lieutenant
Rep

Well I jacked up the rear this morning and saw that it was also rubbing the inside of the tire against the inside side of the wheel well and had warn away a section of rubbery barrier. Passenger side was raised easily but driver side was not. The entire section turns instead of just the hight adjusting nuts. I tried turning one down and one nut up to loosen it but even with me pushing one way and my wife the other we could not get the nuts apart so I could not adjust the hight. Grrrrrr. I tried everything I could think of including hitting the spans ion arms with a mallet. Also I was able to move it around a little by hand and by that I mean the spring and hight adjustment screw together. Should not be able to do that right? Any ideas? Is it installed wrong?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 06:16 PM   #20
stevenc
Coming Soon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 Alphine White MT

If its rubbing on the inside, do you have enough room on the outside to run a small spacer?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 09:45 PM   #21
Clovef
First Lieutenant
Rep

Not really. It was rubbing both inside and outside of the tire. I need to raise it up but one side is stuck so... I'm stuck.
Appreciate 0