BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-16-2012, 12:27 AM   #1
Lay-Z M3
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: ASPP 135i Cab, E90 M3, M235i

I'm not usually one for regrets

But I Cancelled my Euro delivery AW 1M order that I made on Jan 3rd 2011 (which I suppose made my order an 'early VIN number'), due in part to the relatively costly BMW finance rates - up here in America's Hat!!

I was also disappointed by the full up/profit gain on the new car deals up here, yet pre owned (with 30k+ kms ) cars are now being sold for well over msrp, so I guess the laugh/irony is on me, not that I'd have ever sold it!

I suppose my 'doubt in exclusivity' was born many years ago, when my old man had the chance to order an Aston Martin DB7 under a similar situation. This was at a time when the potential to inflate resale prices on early delivery exclusive vehicles was infact possible, if still quite rare. I could therefore see mirrors/parallels in the 1M/DB7 situation, limited numbers, strangled supply etc etc. Anyway, long and short my dad didn't go for it - he got an E36 M3 instead so we could actually enjoy the benefits of a performace vehicle as a family. It turned out to be a decent decision as the DB7 got very mediocre reviews in the motoring press (unlike the 1M) and as a consequence: interest, desire and values plumeted!

As a Brit, I was also a bit skeptical that history could repeat itself, based on a situation that happened back in the '90's at Renault. A promise of a limited run number of cars in the form of an F1 raceteam inspired Renault Clio Williams model. However, Renault renegged on their promise and subsequently produced batches of Williams 2 & 3 varients - ultimately exploiting the sales and interest generated!! For owners of the original cars, a promise had been broken and had no doubt left some of them with slight feelings of betrayal!

As such, I didn't bite the bullet on the 1M and have since wondered about how amazing owning and driving this car could have been - not to mention that European delivery, incorporating my old favourite roads in Germany, Italy, France, England and Holland from my motorcycling days! A truly once in a lifetime trip and a chance to relive my European youth, in a car very much designed with the driver at heart!!!

So I bid all of you 'genuinely lucky owners', a fabulous ownership experience and please never lose sight as to how fortunate you are - as the few who chose wisely

Last edited by Lay-Z M3; 12-16-2012 at 01:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 12:37 AM   #2
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lay-Z M3 View Post
But I Cancelled my Euro delivery AW 1M order that I made on Jan 3rd 2011 (which I suppose made my order an 'early VIN number'), due in part to the relatively costly BMW finance rates - up here in America's Hat!!

I was also disappointed by the full up/profit gain on the new car deals up here, yet pre owned (with 30k+ kms ) cars are now being sold for well over msrp, so I guess the laugh/irony is on me, not that I'd have ever sold it!

I suppose my 'doubt in exclusivity' was born many years ago, when my old man had the chance to order an Aston Martin DB7 under a similar situation. This was at a time when the potential to inflate resale prices on early delivery exclusive vehicles was infact possible, if still quite rare. I could therefore see mirrors/parallels in the 1M/DB7 situation, limited numbers, strangled supply etc etc. Anyway, long and short my dad didn't go for it - he got an E36 M3 instead so we could actually enjoy the benefits of a performace vehicle as a family. It turned out to be a decent decision as the DB7 got very mediocre reviews in the motoring press (unlike the 1M) and as a consequence:
interest, desire and values plumeted!

As a Brit, I was also a bit skeptical that history could repeat itself, based on a situation that happened back in the '90's at Renault. A promise of a limited run number of cars in the form of an F1 raceteam inspired Renault Clio Williams model. However, Renault renegged on their promise and subsequently produced batches of Williams 2 & 3 varients - ultimately exploiting the sales and interest generated!! For owners of the original cars, a promise had been broken and had no doubt left some of them with slight feelings of betrayal!

As such, I didn't bite the bullet on the 1M and have since wondered about how amazing owning and driving this car could have been - not to mention that European delivery incorporating Germany, Italy, France, England and Holland once in a lifetime trip!!!

So I bid all of you 'genuinely lucky owners', a fabulous ownership experience and please never lose sight as to how fortunate you are as the few who chose wisely
tough story; there will be more in the BMW line to feast on
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 12:39 AM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

There is always a M135i hatch or the up coming M2 in a few years. I enjoyed reading your story though.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 12:45 AM   #4
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
There is always a M135i hatch or the up coming M2 in a few years. I enjoyed reading your story though.
whats the date for the M2 Dack? I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 01:16 AM   #5
Lay-Z M3
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EINSER M View Post
tough story; there will be more in the BMW line to feast on
I know - I worked for them for almost a decade both in UK & CA

I sometimes was lucky enough to get the Z4MC for the week(end)
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 09:10 AM   #6
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

This is such a honest and well written story. Thanks for sharing.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 11:33 AM   #7
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lay-Z M3 View Post

I suppose my 'doubt in exclusivity' was born many years ago, when my old man had the chance to order an Aston Martin DB7 under a similar situation. This was at a time when the potential to inflate resale prices on early delivery exclusive vehicles was infact possible, if still quite rare. I could therefore see mirrors/parallels in the 1M/DB7 situation, limited numbers, strangled supply etc etc. Anyway, long and short my dad didn't go for it - he got an E36 M3 instead so we could actually enjoy the benefits of a performace vehicle as a family. It turned out to be a decent decision as the DB7 got very mediocre reviews in the motoring press (unlike the 1M) and as a consequence: interest, desire and values plumeted!

As such, I didn't bite the bullet on the 1M and have since wondered about how amazing owning and driving this car could have been - not to mention that European delivery, incorporating my old favourite roads in Germany, Italy, France, England and Holland from my motorcycling days! A truly once in a lifetime trip and a chance to relive my European youth, in a car very much designed with the driver at heart!!!

So I bid all of you 'genuinely lucky owners', a fabulous ownership experience and please never lose sight as to how fortunate you are - as the few who chose wisely
With the clusterf#ck of tease marketing and dealer iso customer centric allocation going on in the NA, I can't blame you for being turned off. I would have turned down anything over MSRP and just got lucky on my dealer being BMW owned.

Nevertheless if your really want to go for the fortune that the 1M offers as a car, there are still fair 2nd hand deals to be had. Yet if ED MSRP is your reference, I understand your regrets.

Oh and on the whole 'spiel and dance' around limited editions: Only people with more money than sense truly appreciate those. And companies will abuse the power of suggestion and change their policies knowing they'll get away with it... we'll just have to live with that.

thx for posting! and of course you will get lucky again someday soon.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 01:28 PM   #8
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Wow. I really understand the OP's point of view. I also do remember the Clio Williams back in 93(?)

Hate to say it but it feels even better now since I took delivery of my '11 AW 1M just five days ago! I already knew it 's a nice/sporty/excellent/fast etc. car and I knew about the limited production and stuff.

By driving/drifting it I knew it was something else:
(more than) a real //M, but not THAT special as the OP is stating. I'm going to cherish and enjoy it even more!(for years I guess)

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 02:32 PM   #9
Rikx1M
MSgt (ret)
Germany
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #739/740

Garage List
Thanks for your story...That early period was a crazy time with lots of miss and disinformation. In Jan 2011 I also was in serious debate with myself as only 6 months earlier I bought a 2011 135i instead of an E92 M3 like I really wanted. Then Dec 2010 BMW announces the 1M...an ///M version of an already great car...so I debated and read and listened and debated and read more and more reviews, 95% saying what a great car the 1M was, months and months went by, reading and rereading the reviews, watching Top Gear too many times, finally decided to make the commitment to find one. So I placed deposits in Florida and a number of military sales offices here in Germany. Luckily I was called and given 10 minutes to make a decision...one I said yes to and ended up getting the car but with the unfortunate situation of two brand-new 2011 BMWs in my driveway which meant two car payments and insurance.

After 6 months of that I was able to sell my 135...so in the end it worked out.....but we all know that is lady luck and fate had a huge hand in that...it was meant to be.

Like others have posted, the secondary market is alive and well...So if you want a 1M...make the commitment in your head and go get it. GLW finding your car.
Attached Images

12-16-2012, 02:47 PM   #10
Lay-Z M3
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Thanks all, for your comments! Keep enjoying your rides - I'll have to just live vicariously through local 1M meets and 1Addicts for the immediate future
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 08:30 PM   #11
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Golf R

That story just increased the value of all 1M's! Thank you.
      12-17-2012, 02:47 PM   #12
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

I have a question about the 'rarity' of the 1M.
Didn't do the search thing though...

Total production was 6631 units as I recall.

Does anybody know how many VO, AW and BSM?
Just 33% each?

Thanks.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 03:48 PM   #13
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
I have a question about the 'rarity' of the 1M.
Didn't do the search thing though...

Total production was 6631 units as I recall.

Does anybody know how many VO, AW and BSM?
Just 33% each?

Thanks.

Cheers
Robin
Total is 6309. I am pretty sure, it's like VO most, AW close second and BSM distant third but I have no data to back it, check the registry thread, I guess a few members like Ismotind and Stephan735i can answer this with more accuracy.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.

Last edited by ozinaldo; 12-17-2012 at 03:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 03:52 PM   #14
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Total is 6309. I am pretty sure, it's like VO most, AW close second and BSM distant third but I have no data to back it up, check the registry thread, I guess a few members like Ismotin can answer this with more accuracy.
Aha thanks. I'll take a look.

Saludos
Robin
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 07:25 PM   #15
Redlyne_mr2
Private
Rep
Drives: 1m, mr2 turbo, Land Rover

Never let a finance rate dictate a decision that will offer you enjoyment. Some people live and die by a finance rate and I never understood why.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 07:55 PM   #16
Derek8819
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Especially when you can refinance a car loan so easily.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 01:33 AM   #17
Lay-Z M3
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlyne_mr2 View Post
Never let a finance rate dictate a decision that will offer you enjoyment. Some people live and die by a finance rate and I never understood why.
Finance rate was 'only part' of the decision fellas - for 1, I had a job change to consider
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 10:43 AM   #18
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

A year after my delivery at the Performance Center and almost a year and half after the actual order, I can honestly say that this was a roll of the dice situation for me.

After finding, ordering and committing to a non-refundable deposit, I definitely had several moments of doubt and reflection when I almost canceled the order and thought about contesting the deposit refunadability.

Also to be fair, I had a lot more evidence that the car was going to be a firecracker and not a squib. Back in January, this was barely a blip on the general media radar and I don't think there were any owner reviews out either.

It looks like you have a pretty decent stable regardless and if you're every in Atlanta, send me a PM and I will take you for a spin in Einser Rex.

The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 12:41 AM   #19
Lay-Z M3
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b33g33 View Post
A year after my delivery at the Performance Center and almost a year and half after the actual order, I can honestly say that this was a roll of the dice situation for me.

After finding, ordering and committing to a non-refundable deposit, I definitely had several moments of doubt and reflection when I almost canceled the order and thought about contesting the deposit refunadability.

Also to be fair, I had a lot more evidence that the car was going to be a firecracker and not a squib. Back in January, this was barely a blip on the general media radar and I don't think there were any owner reviews out either.

It looks like you have a pretty decent stable regardless and if you're every in Atlanta, send me a PM and I will take you for a spin in Einser Rex.

Hehe - Ok will do, a southern 1M, does that mean she has a different accent?

Yes, I have been lucky to have some nice BMW's anyway, my 135i was running 394bhp and 427ft lb & my M3 was just wonderful, would have another in a heartbeat. Its just the 1M has a stance and look that really appeals to my eye and thats before its amazing on road and track ability!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 05:16 AM   #20
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Thanks for such an honest post! Get in line now for the M2 and treat yourself to Euro delivery. The m135 is a hit, the M235 is coming to the US and should be the same. And the new M2 will be even better than both.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 02:26 PM   #21
Lay-Z M3
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Thanks for such an honest post! Get in line now for the M2 and treat yourself to Euro delivery. The m135 is a hit, the M235 is coming to the US and should be the same. And the new M2 will be even better than both.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 02:41 AM   #22
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster
M2 will be great but will it be as yummy as the 1m. This car is absolutely stunning. Want one!
Appreciate 0