BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-28-2009, 08:47 PM   #1
'fatboy'
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Did I get fined?

I was driving into work this morning and decided to take a short cut through a street in collingwood (which is restricted entry during peak hrs) and all of a sudden a police man jumped out in front of me... (i was also travelling possibly over the speed limit).

Needless to say, he pointed out a couple of obvious wrongs I was doing; 1) driving down a street i wasn't suppose to
2) driving a tad fast (40kph limit)

He took my licence and wrote a couple of things on his pad, made small talk about work and then he just told me to be careful and left.

Did i get fined? He didn't have his speed gun out (because that would have been really really really bad news for me) nor did me write me a ticket or check his computer back in the patrol car.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 09:02 PM   #2
Smac355
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

uh i would think ur ok, don't see how u can get fined w/o a ticket stating what u did... seems like just a verbal warning.
Black Sapphire Metallic 135i/Coral Leather Interior/ Gloss Black Grills/20% tint/M door sills/Black 135i badge, smoked LED side marker, Dinan stage II , DINAN Exhaust, performance side skirts, performance shift boot/e-brake, pedals, carbon fiber wrapped interior
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 09:31 PM   #3
oldman
Australia
Rep
Drives: 09 135i AW Coupe

If it's still the same as the old days when I used to get into trouble, you can still get a fine but it will come in the mail instead.

They used a notebook if they had no actual ticket book with them and they just record all the details and then process it later.

There was an upside to this though as I got off a couple of fines because one of my friends was also in the police and he got the other cop to rip it up. Something you cannot do once the ticket is written.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 09:33 PM   #4
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Verbal warning - I got one a few weeks ago for not coming to a complete stop at a stop line. No stop sign, nothing - just a line, and apparently i didn't stop completely.

Wankers.

Infringement notices are on-the-spot, unless it was a local govenment regulation you were breaking in which case it can be issued after the event.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 09:48 PM   #5
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

It sounds like a warning because he would have issued you with an on-the-spot ticket if you were doing something wrong. Also, did you admit fault to speeding or reckless driving? If the policeman was alone it is likely that he recorded your conversation for evidence later down the track.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 10:23 PM   #6
d3syd
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i MT, LMB, ProNav

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
I concur, it's a warning. Might have taken your details down to record that an official warning has been given. In Tassie they do that and I think it's 3 strikes and you're out or something.

A few years ago I turned down a restricted street in the CBD in Melbourne and was confronted by a string of policemen booking heap of cars for doing the same thing as me.

But because I had interstate plates and was a bit lost, I immediately said to the officer: "Sorry officer I am lost, can you tell how to get to......" He gave me directions and sent me on my way.

Fun Car: 135i Manual LeMans Blue / Beige Leather / Grey Poplar / pro nav / euro plates. Delivered 24 June 08
Family Car: Land Rover Discovery 4 SDV6
Spare Car:
Volvo V70 Sydney Car: MB 420SEL
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 11:08 PM   #7
'fatboy'
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks guys, I hope it was a warning too.
He didnt issue me with any tickets etc, so i was a little confused. Perhaps I should have asked him!

I remember admitting fault for obviously turning down a restricted street, but tried to play down the speeding thing. I dont think he can book me for speeding without actually capturing my speed.

Honestly I dont even know how fast i was going but vaguely remember shifting to fitth before being stopped... could be wrong though. Then again I have been in fifth before going at 40kph....

Ultimately I have learnt my lesson about going down restricted streets and maintaining a safe speed. I hope the lesson doesn't come with a fine.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 12:46 AM   #8
AussieRacer
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

If it was the street near Computershare off Johnston, I think I saw them this morning. That is my normal rat-run, but during School holidays I don't need to take it. I've pretty much turned into the street and then back out a couple of times when I've spotted them....

I think you'll find you got a warning. If you're caught again, they'll give you a fine.
      09-29-2009, 02:29 AM   #9
'fatboy'
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieRacer View Post
If it was the street near Computershare off Johnston, I think I saw them this morning. That is my normal rat-run, but during School holidays I don't need to take it. I've pretty much turned into the street and then back out a couple of times when I've spotted them....

I think you'll find you got a warning. If you're caught again, they'll give you a fine.
It was between Wellington and Smith st, just off the eastern fwy. (not sure the name of the street, but definitely wont be heading down there again!)
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 02:34 AM   #10
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1///M

Never been to Collingwood and never will.

Danger neighbourhood especially without the cops
      09-30-2009, 02:36 AM   #11
cozza
///Mthusiast
Australia
Rep
Drives: M135i (March delivery)

Only a warning if you're lucky, but keep an eye on the mail box. I had something similar happen a while back when I was talking on my phone (before I had the 1er with bluetooth). A few weeks later I received an infringement notice in the mail with a $200+ fine and 3 demerit points. Ouch.
      09-30-2009, 06:22 PM   #12
'fatboy'
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Fine received in the mail (I've never seen the postal and policing system work so quickly before!)

I will appeal based on clean driving record...
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2009, 06:25 PM   #13
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'fatboy' View Post
Fine received in the mail (I've never seen the postal and policing system work so quickly before!)

Damn, sorry to hear that mate. Hopefully your appeal goes well.

Was the fine for speeding or the restricted entry?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2009, 07:20 PM   #14
'fatboy'
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taymaishu View Post
Damn, sorry to hear that mate. Hopefully your appeal goes well.

Was the fine for speeding or the restricted entry?
thanks mate, it was for the restricted entry (120 plus 2 points...). He didnt have a speed detector on him otherwise it could have been trouble.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2009, 07:41 PM   #15
janus77
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 125i coupe

Yeah, you should appeal, i got out of 2 fines, the 2nd time the response was "we cannot extend similar leniencies in future"..
      09-30-2009, 08:18 PM   #16
d3syd
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i MT, LMB, ProNav

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Wow, that's bad and unexpected considering how he lullled you into a false sence of security by being vague and chatty. If he was going to give you a fine he should just have said so! Bugger!

Fun Car: 135i Manual LeMans Blue / Beige Leather / Grey Poplar / pro nav / euro plates. Delivered 24 June 08
Family Car: Land Rover Discovery 4 SDV6
Spare Car:
Volvo V70 Sydney Car: MB 420SEL
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2009, 08:20 PM   #17
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
I have a fool-proof method I use to get off speeding fines - used it once before, the only time i've been pulled over. The cop was so concerned for me! It's quite a funny story but for obvious reasons i don't want to post it here.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2009, 08:49 PM   #18
Totti
Troll
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taymaishu View Post
I have a fool-proof method I use to get off speeding fines - used it once before, the only time i've been pulled over. The cop was so concerned for me! It's quite a funny story but for obvious reasons i don't want to post it here.
What a pointless post, lol. Share or PM everyone involved in the thread!
Use the stick like u would a manual. If that doesn't work, put it in D mode and put both hands at 10 and 2. If that doesn't work, just sit on your right hand.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2009, 12:03 AM   #19
cozza
///Mthusiast
Australia
Rep
Drives: M135i (March delivery)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'fatboy' View Post

Hate to say it, but I told you so... bummer!
      10-01-2009, 12:31 AM   #20
qship
Disillusioned bourgeois capitalist pig!
Australia
Rep
Drives: Blue

This is Victoria. We do not "fine" people.

We ask them to make a compulsory voluntary contribution to consolidated revenue in the interest of road safety.

But seriously, bad luck. The police only blitz those side streets a few times a year to keep the local trsidents happy.
      10-01-2009, 01:02 AM   #21
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by qship View Post
compulsory voluntary contribution
I think just compulsory contribution would work
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2009, 02:40 AM   #22
qship
Disillusioned bourgeois capitalist pig!
Australia
Rep
Drives: Blue

Heh Heh

Actually the chief commissioner of police used this term yesterday! Its your voluntary choice to break the law. If you do you will be compulsorily made to face the consequenses!