BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-06-2011, 03:31 AM   #133
Imo135
I dont drive fast,I just fly low....
Rep
Drives: Bmw 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
This is NOT true!

I have a flash tune and a BT scan tool. There are never any tuner codes thrown nor even a CEL or SES light w/my tune. A flash tune simple WORKS. Someone who is running apiggy tune can not say the same.

I think this whole topic that BMW can tell whether you have a tune or not is all total BS. Even with a piggy back tune - BMW can tell. Someone here posted a pdf from BMW NA showing thier techs how to recognize the tell tale evidence when the ECU box has been messed with. Broken clips and dust and strange wires.

I want someone to post some evidence that BMW can find a tune. I really doubt they can. Not enless they call in a special engineer to look into your DME/ECU.
So if the fault codes are cleared we should be ok...

I wouldnt want to be the one to be a guinny pig to see if bmw can really do what they say. My dealer indicated that in the past 3months they have cancelled 3 n54 warrantees as they found a tune on the car.

I have bought a BT tool, and I want a flash, but when i take the car in I will remove the flash and clear all codes, i hope i will be in the clear after that. However someone mentioned that the ecu has a flash counetr on which indicates how many times the car has been flashed... is that a tell tale sign???
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 10:22 AM   #134
Ihave1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

what about cars before 3/08? Is the hardware different so flash tunes can't be detected or have they all been updated with software?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 05:53 AM   #135
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
It can yes. The ECU will store a fault code that will flash for the dealer when they read your car. This is why anyone who tunes has a BT tool, you can find and clear those fault codes before your dealer sees them

Guys... BrokenVert and BimmerEngineer said awhile back that BMW AG now has anti-tuner software in thier GT1(and hence in our car's DME when we get an update). When you go in for service BMW can now detect MODs done to the engine DME. I did not believe that at first... but I was talking to my German dealer and he confirmed this to me. I did not even bring teh subject up... he was telling me about it! He said as soon as the car is scan'd for faults... the GT1 also checks the car's SW(and boost levels) for mods. IF something is detected, the car's VIN is flagged to BMW AG. No more warranty. I don't know all the specifics but it looks like this is very real.

They were right and I was wrong. I think this is very bad news for us MOD people.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 09:46 AM   #136
james33
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 Lotus Evora

Quote:
Guys... BrokenVert and BimmerEngineer said awhile back that BMW AG now has anti-tuner software in thier GT1(and hence in our car's DME when we get an update). When you go in for service BMW can now detect MODs done to the engine DME. I did not believe that at first... but I was talking to my German dealer and he confirmed this to me. I did not even bring teh subject up... he was telling me about it! He said as soon as the car is scan'd for faults... the GT1 also checks the car's SW(and boost levels) for mods. IF something is detected, the car's VIN is flagged to BMW AG. No more warranty. I don't know all the specifics but it looks like this is very real.

They were right and I was wrong. I think this is very bad news for us MOD people.
All years or just the newer (2011 up) ones?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 09:59 AM   #137
icabod7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Coupe

Quote:

Does that mean there's nothing we can do to "clear" some of the fault codes that the GT1 detects before a dealer visit? Say with a BT Tool or something?
cdv delete | clutch stop | bmw performance ssk | meisterschaft gt | berk mids | dinan cai | helix fmic | m3 subframe bushings, swaybar, front and back suspension bits | dinan stage 1 suspension | dinan cf strut brace |gc camber plates | dinan oil cooler | apex ec-7s w/PSSs | cobb stage 1 + fmic
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 10:40 AM   #138
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by icabod7 View Post
Does that mean there's nothing we can do to "clear" some of the fault codes that the GT1 detects before a dealer visit? Say with a BT Tool or something?

I do not know for sure. My source just said that BMW "mother pc" compres the SW code to what the car 'should have". IF anything has been changed he said it flags the car. I will know more in a few days. Because I have to go back to my dealer for some work. I will ask more about this Big Brother stuff.

Btw... I think it was BimmerEngineer who said that some of the engine's sensors "record" higher boost levels or have a "tamper type tell-take". And no mater how you clear the faults memory, BMW will know. Not sure if THAT is true or not. But it wouldn't surprise me. But I use the BT scan tool and I have never had a code thrown due to my tune nor any shadow codes thrown. I think we need to know more about how BMW is going about this.

Dack
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 10:58 AM   #139
Lambobimmer
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i, 2018 TTRS

We all take the risk when we mod our cars. It is no suprise to me that BMW is getting smart and designing technology to determine if BMW's are being modded.

With that being said, I am wondering if BMW will void hpfp warranties if they find a tune.

The N54 has proved to be pretty reiliable with a tune so I am not so worried about blowing an engne. We all need to drive our cars smart to avoid catastrophic failure.

The biggest concern that I have is drivetrain. I am not sure that our drive train is meant to handle 400rwhp and 400 torque. I have been running Cobb since I bought my car in Jan 2010 and I have not needed to go the dealership for any work. Hopefully I will see the same reliability for many years to come.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 01:22 PM   #140
gwhiz
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i Convertible/M Sport

As soon as I heard that the rumors that BMW could "see" aftermarket tunes I decided that I wasn't going to screw around with them and go the PPK route. Having just purchased a 2012 model, I certainly wouldn't want to void the warranty - that was part of the whole reason for trading in my old car.

The computers on these cars and the ones at the dealerships that tune and update them are so advanced, it's just silly to think that there's no way of detecting an aftermarket tune even after a tool is used to clear codes. Those error codes are just one way (and the easiest of course) that they could see tampering. Being able to "see" what a car's peak boost has been is most likely the only evidence that they would need to prove that you've had a tune, and I'm certain that it's pretty easy to extract that information.

These are only my thoughts and speculations of course, but like I said, they made me go with the PPK and now with more info coming out, I'm glad I did.

What really bugs me is the fact that as I was researching tunes, I contacted one of the most used companies on this forum with a question about whether the tune is truly undetectable. They gave me an absolute answer of "once you use the CAN tool, it's impossible for the dealership to detect." This is seemingly misinformation, irrelevantly innocent or intentional, very irresponsible and may end up causing someone to lose their warranty.

Last edited by gwhiz; 01-08-2012 at 01:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 06:11 PM   #141
Edogg218
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

If you push your stock turbos to twice the factory boost for a long time, why should BMW cover it? The same applies to a blown head gasket, etc.

The HPFP is a different story...
      01-08-2012, 06:48 PM   #142
135i_vs_
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5, 135i, 335d, F10 550xi

The Dinan S2 boost is 15 psi, over 75% of stock. Cars with Dinan S2 tunes are considered "ok" and even installed at Dinan authorized dealerships (BMW).

So as far as engine reliability with higher boost than stock, not to worried about reliability. I have the latest TSB from BMW, I believe it mentions their tune detection method.

FYI, these hidden codes are able to be detected by the JB4 program; an OBD-II scanner will not be able to detect these codes.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Info.pdf (143.9 KB, 1312 views)

Last edited by 135i_vs_; 01-08-2012 at 07:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 09:57 PM   #143
ZCP M3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M Coupe #759

Quote:

That's a bummer but honestly to be expected.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 09:22 AM   #144
icabod7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135i_vs_ View Post
The Dinan S2 boost is 15 psi, over 75% of stock. Cars with Dinan S2 tunes are considered "ok" and even installed at Dinan authorized dealerships (BMW).

So as far as engine reliability with higher boost than stock, not to worried about reliability. I have the latest TSB from BMW, I believe it mentions their tune detection method.

FYI, these hidden codes are able to be detected by the JB4 program; an OBD-II scanner will not be able to detect these codes.
Thanks for the info 135i vs

I'm interested in this part of the bulletin:

Aftermarket N54 DME software modifications usually do not change either programmed or basic DME part numbers, so it is not possible to identify this alteration via DME identification pages.

Sounds like they are talking about flashes and not piggybacks here -- sound right?

In certain cases, the MSD80 DME software modifications can be detected by executing test module "S1214 NG6OBDII/Read codes" (reading of the OBD readiness codes). If the readiness code for the "Fuel Tank Ventilation" shows "XXX" (instead of "yes" or "no"), this is an indication that evaporation system function is not supported by the DME and the original BMW software was altered. (In this situation, when using the aftermarket scanning tool for checking readiness monitors, the Evaporation System status would be displayed as "Not Supported".) [emphasis added]

Presumably, this means that if you fail your inspection because of readiness issues, then BMW would be able to detect the aftermarket tune. Am I reading this correctly?

Another issue entirely, is if this is the GT1 system that BrokenVert and Dackel are talking about. Hopefully it is.
cdv delete | clutch stop | bmw performance ssk | meisterschaft gt | berk mids | dinan cai | helix fmic | m3 subframe bushings, swaybar, front and back suspension bits | dinan stage 1 suspension | dinan cf strut brace |gc camber plates | dinan oil cooler | apex ec-7s w/PSSs | cobb stage 1 + fmic
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 09:42 AM   #145
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:

In certain cases, the MSD80 DME software modifications can be detected by executing test module "S1214 NG6OBDII/Read codes" (reading of the OBD readiness codes). If the readiness code for the "Fuel Tank Ventilation" shows "XXX" (instead of "yes" or "no"), this is an indication that evaporation system function is not supported by the DME and the original BMW software was altered. (In this situation, when using the aftermarket scanning tool for checking readiness monitors, the Evaporation System status would be displayed as "Not Supported".) [emphasis added]

Presumably, this means that if you fail your inspection because of readiness issues, then BMW would be able to detect the aftermarket tune. Am I reading this correctly?
I think they mean that if you go into the "test menu' with the GT1 scan tool... to test the "Fuel Tank Ventilation", you can then quickly see wether the DME has been modifed or not via the "XXX" (instead of "yes" or "no") Readiness.

On a side note... I can not seem to open that pdf. I keep getting an "damage error" with Adobe when I try opening it!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 11:18 AM   #146
1Fasst1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i, Jet Black 6MT

After reading this forum for several years,it seem every day or so someone will ask wheither this or that will void their warranty. It varies from a tune to an aftermarket muffler clamp. I would like to hear from members who have actually had their warranty voided or refused warranty work because of a mod. Remember BMW pays the dealer to do the work and with the high labor cost of the dealer it would be in the dealers intrest to make any repairs. I understand items such as a blown engine, ect would require futher investigation,but other items would just be money in the dealers pocket. If you have been turned down for a warranty claim due to some mod that should not have affected the problem please let us know as alot of members would be interested in hearing about it. Much thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 11:25 AM   #147
135i_vs_
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5, 135i, 335d, F10 550xi

Quote:
Thanks for the info 135i vs

I'm interested in this part of the bulletin:

Aftermarket N54 DME software modifications usually do not change either programmed or basic DME part numbers, so it is not possible to identify this alteration via DME identification pages.

Sounds like they are talking about flashes and not piggybacks here -- sound right?

Another issue entirely, is if this is the GT1 system that BrokenVert and Dackel are talking about. Hopefully it is.
Yes, they are talking about piggyback tunes, this is why they created the software in this bulliten (lastest released) to output codes, 2D18, etc.

Regarding the emmisions, there is a way you have to prepare the car to pass inspection. All monitors have to be in "Ready" mode. If any is "Incomplete", it will not pass inspection.

To get a tuned car in ready mode, the piggy back needs to be turned off, the car needs to be driven about 100 miles and have at least 3 start/off cycles. I would connect a scanner and confirm all modes are in "Ready" mode before attempting to get an inspection.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 11:37 AM   #148
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 135i_vs_ View Post

Regarding the emmisions, there is a way you have to prepare the car to pass inspection. All monitors have to be in "Ready" mode. If any is "Incomplete", it will not pass inspection.

To get a tuned car in ready mode, the piggy back needs to be turned off, the car needs to be driven about 100 miles and have at least 3 start/off cycles. I would connect a scanner and confirm all modes are in "Ready" mode before attempting to get an inspection.

Posted this in another thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGoneRogue View Post
^^Correct

Also, make sure that once you have the tune off (so it doesn't blind your sensors) you complete a drive cycle to get all your sensors reading again. If you don't do this, your car will be rejected by the inspection machine.

Follow the directions here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365042

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 11:40 AM   #149
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
I'll just post the directions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT1351 View Post
What do you consider a complete cycle drive? I have been told its not the mile you put on, it the number of duty days, I have further been told its 10 duty days, meaning you have to drive it for 10 different days to give the ECU the data it needs to store so it doesn't read empty when the ECU is hooked up to the OBD 2 tester. Anyone else hear the same thing? I have cleared codes thinking I can go in and get retested after driving 100 miles or so as indicated by the inspector at the inspection station only to still get the message not enough data or no data exists. I know the BT Scanner clears out the ECU of any stored data, while I have used other code clearer's that only remove the code indicated, namely banks 1 and 2 catalysts not performing as they should. Fran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren335i View Post
HOV! It's Bren. I wrote this a long time ago check it out.

Some people have trouble setting ODB2 readiness like myself and received "R" stickers because they

a) never drive their car

b) they leave their driveway in an 8k rpm launch or it doesn't reach these criteria

c) commute doesnt satisfy criteria even after months of driving

Readiness is cleared everytime a CEL is cleared, battery is pulled, new tune is loaded, or fuel trims are 0'd

Here’s the cycle I use to "set" it back up:

1) Start cold engine and idle for approximately 2 minutes, 10 seconds. This checks secondary air injection and evaporative leak detection systems.

2) Accelerate to 20-30 MPH and maintain steady speed for 3 minutes, 15 seconds. This establishes closed loop oxy-sensor operations, response times & switching times.

3) Accelerate to 40-60 MPH and maintain steady speed for 15-20 minutes. This evaluates catalytic converters while oxy-sensor response and switching times are checked.

4) De-accelerate and come to a stop. Idle in gear for 5-6 minutes. This checks evaporative leak detection system.

Remember:

The diagnostic checks above will be discontinued if:

1) Engine speeds exceed 3000 RPM

2) Large fluctuations in throttle position

3) Road speeds exceed 60 MPH

Below is the PDF:

http://www.europeantransmissions.com...0Procedure.pdf
I have done this plenty of times while testing out o2 defoulers. Works perfectly. If you have a scan tool you can actually watch the sensors come online while doing the drive cycle. You need a clear road to be able to go slow for a couple minutes and then faster for a couple more. I did mine late at night on the highway and as I said it worked perfectly.

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 07:54 PM   #150
allwheelsjive
Rep
Drives: 09 135i DINAN S2 / 13 X1 35i

I'm with you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Fasst1 View Post
After reading this forum for several years,it seem every day or so someone will ask wheither this or that will void their warranty. It varies from a tune to an aftermarket muffler clamp. I would like to hear from members who have actually had their warranty voided or refused warranty work because of a mod. Remember BMW pays the dealer to do the work and with the high labor cost of the dealer it would be in the dealers intrest to make any repairs. I understand items such as a blown engine, ect would require futher investigation,but other items would just be money in the dealers pocket. If you have been turned down for a warranty claim due to some mod that should not have affected the problem please let us know as alot of members would be interested in hearing about it. Much thanks
Where are all the real-life, my-warranty-was-cancelled stories? Unless I've missed something (possible - there seem to be 100's of related posts), all I've seen is conjecture. BMW could save a lot of $'s in ECU tracking R&D and just monitor these forums. Hope you guys aren't posting your VIN....
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 08:33 PM   #151
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by allwheelsjive View Post
Where are all the real-life, my-warranty-was-cancelled stories? Unless I've missed something (possible - there seem to be 100's of related posts), all I've seen is conjecture. BMW could save a lot of $'s in ECU tracking R&D and just monitor these forums. Hope you guys aren't posting your VIN....
+1...I know some of you guys are tired of seeing this but here you go again
I'm doing this because I was told several times not to use aftermarket parts from tunes to exhaust. I listened at first ...

Will using ‘aftermarket’ parts void my warranty?
No. An ‘aftermarket’ part is a part made by a company other than the vehicle manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer. Simply using an aftermarket part does not void your warranty.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket part. Still, if it turns out that the aftermarket part was itself defective or wasn’t installed correctly, and it causes damage to another part that is covered under the warranty, the manufacturer or dealer has the right to deny coverage for that part and charge you for any repairs. The FTC says the manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage.

FYI...BMW has their own tune in the PPK so they cannot declare tunes are bad for your car, unless of course you are pushing 20 psi

Please read...this is from the FTC as of Dec 2010, but does not apply to other countries:
warranty_ftc.pdf

BMWCCA member

Last edited by ken1137; 01-15-2012 at 08:54 PM.. Reason: Adding comment
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 01:58 PM   #152
FIRST1
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i Melbourne Red

Can someone explain to me where to find the ECU in my hood so I can see what version I have? My build date is 3/08 so I don't know if that means it's pre or post.

Part 2 of this question is if I have the earlier version that doesn't have the detection, is it possible that at some point, my dealer has updated my software to the newer version with tuning detection?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 04:39 PM   #153
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRST1 View Post
Can someone explain to me where to find the ECU in my hood so I can see what version I have? My build date is 3/08 so I don't know if that means it's pre or post.

Part 2 of this question is if I have the earlier version that doesn't have the detection, is it possible that at some point, my dealer has updated my software to the newer version with tuning detection?
The DME is under the hood, just under/near the windshield. You have to remove the pollen filter/back engine tray to gain access.

Acording to RealOEM.com your car has the MDS81 DME.

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...48&hg=12&fg=10

Easiest thing would be to use a OBDII scan tool like the BavTech to read your DME. The BavTech cable will tell you which DME you have. It won't tell you which SW version you have unfortunately. Any dealer can read that for you.

IF you have had a SW update anytime since 2011... your car most likely has the new 'anti-tuner" SW added. Do you feel any Lag? Then you have it.

Here is Burger's video on how to get at the DME...
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 12:38 AM   #154
FIRST1
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i Melbourne Red

Quote:
The DME is under the hood, just under/near the windshield. You have to remove the pollen filter/back engine tray to gain access.

Acording to RealOEM.com your car has the MDS81 DME.

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...48&hg=12&fg=10

Easiest thing would be to use a OBDII scan tool like the BavTech to read your DME. The BavTech cable will tell you which DME you have. It won't tell you which SW version you have unfortunately. Any dealer can read that for you.

IF you have had a SW update anytime since 2011... your car most likely has the new 'anti-tuner" SW added. Do you feel any Lag? Then you have it.

Here is Burger's video on how to get at the DME...
Damn, I don't trust myself to even do this much... I'm not a technical type, unfortunately, I feel more comfortable leaving it to professionals. I'll play it safe and assume I have the anti-tuner. Which leaves me still TORN on whether I will be ok to buy a chip for my car I want one so badly.
Appreciate 0