BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-26-2024, 06:05 AM   #1
Thedarkrosi
Latvia
Rep
Drives: Bmw 1 series E88

Question E88 Boot/Trunk won't latch

Hey, as the tittle says i have issues with my boot latch.

When i unlock my car it sometimes unlocks(unlatches) my boot aswell so it stays open.
I cant just close it as it just double latches and kicks open.

I have to lock the car and then shut the boot. And pray that now when i unlock the car the boot won't unlatch.

Also i cant open the boot with rear button. I only can open it with the boot button on my key.

Anyone has idea what it might be?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 09:10 AM   #2
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedarkrosi View Post
Hey, as the tittle says i have issues with my boot latch.

When i unlock my car it sometimes unlocks(unlatches) my boot aswell so it stays open.
I cant just close it as it just double latches and kicks open.

I have to lock the car and then shut the boot. And pray that now when i unlock the car the boot won't unlatch.

Also i cant open the boot with rear button. I only can open it with the boot button on my key.

Anyone has idea what it might be?
Have you tried to replace the trunk handle switch? I replaced mine on both cars this weekend. They were falling in pieces but it still locking/unlocking.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 09:33 AM   #3
Thedarkrosi
Latvia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRomeo View Post
Have you tried to replace the trunk handle switch? I replaced mine on both cars this weekend. They were falling in pieces but it still locking/unlocking.
Hmm that could be a good call. As mine has no movement what so ever when i press it. Maybe it just stuck and thats why it always tries to unlatch when closing. Will take a look
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 09:38 AM   #4
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Quote:
Hmm that could be a good call. As mine has no movement what so ever when i press it. Maybe it just stuck and thats why it always tries to unlatch when closing. Will take a look
Thats your issue then. You should be able to hear the latching sound when you press it.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 09:54 AM   #5
Thedarkrosi
Latvia
Rep

Quote:
Thats your issue then. You should be able to hear the latching sound when you press it.
Never mind, the button works. When boot is open and i press it seems to click/latch. When i try to shut it it just double latches and opens up. So weird

I was just sitting in a car no ignition nothing, and it unlached and opened on it own. So weird
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 10:51 AM   #6
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Quote:
Never mind, the button works. When boot is open and i press it seems to click/latch. When i try to shut it it just double latches and opens up. So weird

I was just sitting in a car no ignition nothing, and it unlached and opened on it own. So weird

Weird its acting up like when we leave the keyfob inside the trunk huh. 🤔. Wont let it shut Well You can start by replacing the lower cost parts. I would buy anither handle latch just in case . They are cheap. If that doesn’t help I would read codes stored to see if you can get a guidance towards the issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 04:42 PM   #7
Thedarkrosi
Latvia
Rep

Quote:
Weird its acting up like when we leave the keyfob inside the trunk huh. 🤔. Wont let it shut Well You can start by replacing the lower cost parts. I would buy anither handle latch just in case . They are cheap. If that doesn’t help I would read codes stored to see if you can get a guidance towards the issue.
Didn't know it won't let you lock the keys in the trunk, learning something new 😄

Either way will try to figure something out. ordered obd scanner will try to read some codes, if not will just buy another latch and switch.
Appreciate 1
GoRomeo963.50
      03-21-2024, 04:59 AM   #8
Thedarkrosi
Latvia
Rep

Bumping the thread.

Update

Bought second hand button for boot and also the latching mechanism. Switched them both out and still the issue persists. Boot wont lock/latch.
Where should i look into next. I literally don't know what else to replace.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 03:15 PM   #9
Hellshalfacre
Nothin to see here
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3 sdrive28i, 2011 E88

Hi. I wonder if this could be related to your Key fob. You do have another you could try? The scenario I'm thinking of is that the trunk button is shorted internally and causing the trunk to open when you unlock the car via the fob.
If you've replace the mechanism which controls the locking of the trunk, I'd look to what controls that mechanism. Do post back if you find resolution and good luck.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 09:40 PM   #10
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Quote:
Bumping the thread.

Update

Bought second hand button for boot and also the latching mechanism. Switched them both out and still the issue persists. Boot wont lock/latch.
Where should i look into next. I literally don't know what else to replace.
Try disconnecting your battery for a couple of minutes and connect to see if this unlocks the mechanism?
Appreciate 0