BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-30-2007, 08:04 PM   #67
theroyalwe
BMW CA
United_States
Rep
Drives: MINI, all BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red One View Post
theroyalwe: Thanks for taking the pictures and for the great post over at motoringunderground.com. I just wanted to make sure you knew that when I started this thread, I simply posted a link to your mu.com thread. Someone (the admin, I assume) added your full article to my original post.

Just wanted to make sure you knew I wasn't trying to steal your well deserved credit.

Glad you made it over to 1addicts. I think you've got everyone ready to elect you president!
no worries man, I'm glad everyone is as excited about this as I am. I've had the pics for over a week and they were just crying for the public eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPower View Post
You're probably right which is disappointing. A car of this caliper deserves to have at least a little bit of uniqueness.
Actually I'd expect a lot of stuff to be available in the soon-to-come BMW performance catalog. I know for the MINI they have both an alcantera and perforated leather wheel available as well as stitched leather and carbon fibr interior trim. I'd expect something similar may become available eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
The guy in the seat must be quite big. His leg is on top of the lower bolster. He looks too big for the car.
that guy isn't me... but yeah he was a big guy. I'll say that these seats are closer to the sport seat in the e92 than the ones in the MINI. I didn't feel at any point like it would be a pain to drive or that I'd be unhappy with the bolstering. To be honest, most of my legs don't touch the seat because of my height and the angle required for me to fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
Great thanks to Royalwe for the pictures! Royalwe, did you get the chance to hear the engine?
no but there is no need... it will sound just like it does in the E90/E92/E93. That, my friends, is a GOOD thing
      08-30-2007, 08:05 PM   #68
theroyalwe
BMW CA
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBCGLX View Post
Nice pics, thanks!

Think they'll offer the 1-series with European Delivery? This would coincide perfectly with my intended trip to Germany next year.
I can pretty much guarantee it.
      08-30-2007, 08:17 PM   #69
Mahlzeit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

First, yes, thanks Mr. Theroyalwe for the excellent post-fodder!

Second, sorry for bringing up the M1 debate in this thread.

Third, SCOTT26, who has brought us lots of true details and dropped lots of hints before they wer official, and who appears to be a BMW marketing employee in Germany posted this:

"Until such a car as the M1 arrives in the meantime BMW will offer a Ltd edition 135i M-Sport - Confined to only the Coupe and 3dr Hatch only this will be the gap until the M1 comes along."

Back in April '07 in this thread:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=435

I suggest we keep this thread about the 135, apologies for muddying the waters.

-Mahlzeit

PS and yes, I am very interested in an M1, even if the 135 will be as fast in the quarter mile
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 08:26 PM   #70
aesthetect
form follows function
United_States
Rep
Drives: GC impreza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahlzeit View Post
PS and yes, I am very interested in an M1, even if the 135 will be as fast in the quarter mile
im fully with you. but really we already have like 4 threads discussing it.

i love black cars and have been dreaming of black for my first bmw but i really dont see it on the 1. everything changes in person, but it really seems to hide the lines even more than on most cars, really flattens it. im surprised its the color theyve been bringing to the press intros etc.

theroyalwe - any comment on how the car looks in black in person?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 08:51 PM   #71
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Disappointing?

The lack of M bits is a clear indicator that we will be graced w/ an M1!

-Mahlzeit
The previous generation 540i sport had many M accents (even M shifter and M colors on leather seats) and they still brought an M5... but that was expected anyway. I'm not sure if they'll bring one but I can tell you that it won't make me any less happy with my twin turbo I6. For $40K loaded I think the 135i is great but for $50K? I can get a little more creative and would explore other brands. An M1, even with a V8, just isn't that appealing to me. Call me weird...
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 08:52 PM   #72
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Can you give us any insight into when the car will show up at dealers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroyalwe View Post
it's my pleasure folks... I had a feeling that I took some pictures that had yet to be seen. I'll try to keep on top of this thread, but a lot of the questions you guys have were already answered in the discussion thread on the MU forum. I've also got a handful of other pics (as well as high res versions of these) and a complete writeup of the whole BMW experience coming soon so keep your eyes peeled.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 08:54 PM   #73
IrvRobinson2
Banned
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBCGLX View Post
Nice pics, thanks!

Think they'll offer the 1-series with European Delivery? This would coincide perfectly with my intended trip to Germany next year.
of course, no doubt
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 08:55 PM   #74
IrvRobinson2
Banned
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Can you give us any insight into when the car will show up at dealers?
my guess is March.

I'm expecting the M3 around that time as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 09:10 PM   #75
TejasBIMMER
Dragon Master of Texas!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2000 Z3 2.8L Roadster

Damn she looks really great! Too bad BMW did not do as much research & design work on their ill-fated 318's
The 1's will be a great hit...can't wait to test drive one.
www.z3power.net
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 09:13 PM   #76
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Disappointing?

The lack of M bits is a clear indicator that we will be graced w/ an M1!

-Mahlzeit
Mpower, you gotta realize that this is not going to be flashy and overtop like the interior of your cooper. This is just another number in the BMW line-up. The interior on this should not be any different in layout than any other current BMW.

And the question is, what does BMW have up its sleeve in regards to the M1? What excites me is that they have the nerve to be up to the challenge. They have imagination(and the cash). I would bet my ass that the M1 wont have a V8.

Why buy a naturally aspirated Porsche GT3 when you can get a turbo one?? The price difference is what, 13k??? Its not THAT much faster. Why buy a Z06 over a C6. Its not that much faster and its 30k more. BMW, build it and I have a laundry list of people that will buy it.
      08-30-2007, 09:39 PM   #77
kurichan
Mr. Happy
Rep
Drives:

Why is everyone so ga ga about the Lemon interior?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 09:48 PM   #78
Big Red One
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Just wanted to put my $.02 in on the interior aspect of this discussion.

I absolutely LOVE the interior. Best of any of the current Bimmers, in my opinion. Exactly what draws me to BMWs in the first place: Teutonic industrial-functional minimalist. I love that it doesn't try to be anything more than it needs to be. Everything you need; nothing you don't. I even like the design of the dash. It seems to flow much better than the E90/92.
      08-30-2007, 10:11 PM   #79
bimmer_fan
SF KREW
Rep
Drives:

nice write up and pics. my local dealership will have a teaser car here in january. i just cant wait.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 10:12 PM   #80
theroyalwe
BMW CA
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesthetect View Post
im fully with you. but really we already have like 4 threads discussing it.

i love black cars and have been dreaming of black for my first bmw but i really dont see it on the 1. everything changes in person, but it really seems to hide the lines even more than on most cars, really flattens it. im surprised its the color theyve been bringing to the press intros etc.

theroyalwe - any comment on how the car looks in black in person?
The car looks fantastic in person... I think someone caught my mistake too... I think it was black sapphire. It was a bit dark in the tent so it didn't come out well enough and my brain can't remember everything

My immediate thoughts on the 1 while looking at it in person were that my initial dislike of the front end treatment was completely lost when I saw it in 3d. There is some more dissection that needs to be done, but I'll get around to posting some full res pics and a few that I didn't fit into the article as time marches on. I'm not sure if Irv got a chance to go to the event (and I heard their track was better) but if he did I'm sure he'll back me up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurichan View Post
Why is everyone so ga ga about the Lemon interior?
lemon is the new black.
seriously, this 2 tone lemon interior is absolutely stunning. Of course I love it in the E90 too.
      08-30-2007, 10:38 PM   #81
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
Mpower, you gotta realize that this is not going to be flashy and overtop like the interior of your cooper. This is just another number in the BMW line-up. The interior on this should not be any different in layout than any other current BMW.
You are certainly correct. In comparison to the Cooper, there are very few cars that can match its level of uniqueness. However, I cant help but think that the interior of the car is just too boring because everything is generic. Nothing is very special looking, and all taken from the typical self of BMW interiors. At least most cars of the sector have something to excite you. A Mazda RX-8, for instance, has a very smart gauge cluster and great seats. It's all the small touches, in my opinion, that make an interior feel special and unique. That's why the unique perforated leather of an M Sport interior are so important because they help distinguish the car from anything else on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k
And the question is, what does BMW have up its sleeve in regards to the M1? What excites me is that they have the nerve to be up to the challenge. They have imagination(and the cash). I would bet my ass that the M1 wont have a V8.
That really doesnt interest me much for a multitude of reasons:

1. Price. No matter what BMW does with the car in terms of engine and power, the cost of the car will be at least 50,000. Every component of the car will change. If the car gets the E92's V8, then the price must be high. If it gets its own bespoke engine, then the price will have to reflect the development costs for that unique engine. At that price, not only will I not be able to afford it but it becomes a significantly worse value.

2. Performance. No matter what BMW does, the 135i will come to within 95% of the performance for a lot less. Anything that the M1 would carry as standard equipment could be easily modified on a 135i for a lot less cash. The N54 is an amazing power plant and will at least hold its own against very powerful competition.

3. Reality. As of now, there are no test mules spotted, no press releases, nothing to indicate that an M1 would be coming within even 2 years. Keep in mind that this coupe is coming in past half way through the product cycle. The only thing that shows the possibility of an M1 are Scott's posts which, though I respect, certainly dont mean that anything will be carved in stone. Even Scott has said that there is discussion about a potential car but nothing to say that the car is being prototyped, or tested, or even produced. Its hard to care about a car that wont exist for a bunch of years, if ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k
Why buy a naturally aspirated Porsche GT3 when you can get a turbo one?? The price difference is what, 13k??? Its not THAT much faster. Why buy a Z06 over a C6. Its not that much faster and its 30k more. BMW, build it and I have a laundry list of people that will buy it.
Firstly, no question BMW would be able to sell the car. Heck, Lexus will find buyers for its supercar. That's not the point here. I thought that the 1 Series was supposed to be the entry level people's car for the brand. When you start to push the cost of the car to higher prices than even the 5 Series, you have to wonder what the point of the car is, then.

As for the comparison, there have been numerous circumstances were people have paid a lot for relatively small gains in performance. But like I said, this isnt about sales. As a potential customer of either car, I could never see myself paying upwards of 30 percent more for a car that will gain me around 5 percent in performance. Im sure it would a great driving car, but like I have said a dozen times on this forum, the selling point for the 1 Series is value, whether it is an M Car or not. If you eliminate value from the equation, the car becomes rather pointless.
      08-30-2007, 10:38 PM   #82
Rainmanred
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Wow we may not get that here in the P.I. but I do hope we get the 1 coupe at the very least. These 1ers are excellent for shorter people like us I easily fit 5 people in my 116i, including myself of course.
      08-31-2007, 12:47 AM   #83
1drive
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Nice Photos! Shweet car.
      08-31-2007, 01:01 AM   #84
MMM111
Australia
Rep
Drives: 06 118i MSport & E90 330i

These are the wheels fitted to that 1er if anybody is interested.... Currently an option on the Aussie 1 Series.
BMW light alloy wheels – 18” V-spoke 217 with mixed tyres: 7.5J x 18 205/45,8J x 18 225/40 R18 run-flat safety tyres
      08-31-2007, 01:49 AM   #85
blackjoker
Fonzie Up
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPower View Post
It's all the small touches, in my opinion, that make an interior feel special and unique. That's why the unique perforated leather of an M Sport interior are so important because they help distinguish the car from anything else on the road.
+1 gajillion

I want the M sport interior. It makes the car that much cooler and special. That standard steering wheel in the car in the pics is very boring, sorry.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2007, 04:33 AM   #86
Maximus Decimus
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjoker View Post
+1 gajillion

I want the M sport interior. It makes the car that much cooler and special. That standard steering wheel in the car in the pics is very boring, sorry.
Structure will probably be different in the US, but here in DE, I had the option of ordering my car (135) with the M package as a 550 euro option. With that you get the M wheels, and all the interior M bits, as well as unique seat colors (some shade of black) and interior trim. Think E46 ZHP package, but no engine upgrade and no alcantara .

IMHO, bmw interiors have never been anything special. I think this surprises a lot of 1st time buyers. I'm personally ok with it, as they spend their R&D on other things. As far as quality goes, I would say its just ok. E.g. for those considering the aluminum trim, be prepared to have to have to give it white glove treatment. Scratches and dents quite easily.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2007, 04:36 AM   #87
Maximus Decimus
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: people crazy

It really doesn't look like the standard aluminum. I'm not familiar with ruthinium, so I'm gonna vote cashmere. :biggrin:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroyalwe View Post
it's more like the ruthinium trim that they use on the 6 series.

maybe this pic will be better...
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2007, 09:38 AM   #88
blackjoker
Fonzie Up
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus Decimus View Post
Structure will probably be different in the US, but here in DE, I had the option of ordering my car (135) with the M package as a 550 euro option. With that you get the M wheels, and all the interior M bits, as well as unique seat colors (some shade of black) and interior trim. Think E46 ZHP package, but no engine upgrade and no alcantara .
See, I would pay for an M-Package for the interior. I don't mind that.
Appreciate 0