BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-07-2012, 01:11 PM   #1
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Golf R

1 Year with a 1M - USA

Almost exactly 1 year ago (May 9th) I received a call from my salesman at United BMW. My car had arrived and I didn't waste any time getting down to the dealership to take delivery. With 13K miles on the car now I can say every mile has been JOY. It's been the most versatile super car I've ever owned. I know I'll probably take grief for calling it a super car but how someone defines that term is subjective. A trip to Sebring International Raceway in January to race a 6 hour night enduro solidified it for me. I had never been on Sebring and needed as much seat time as I could get before the race. Practice in the race car was limited so I signed up to DE the 1M in the instructors group the day of the race so I could get my head around the track a little better. Some of you may have seen the videos (below) but I never expected it to be so damn good with just suspension, Epic Tune, and pads. Pulling on GT3 RS's and Corvette Z06's in a 49K car (on street tires) is pretty amazing to me. The Motons really made a huge difference on track. With the very bumpy nature of Sebring the Motons on nearly full soft soaked up the imperfections and allowed me to get on the throttle much earlier then expected. The fact that I drove 12 hours each way with only a change of brake pads and a small adjustment to tire pressures speaks volumes about the 1M's versatility. That, and I got over 31 mpg on the drive to and from the track!

I've done a few things to improve upon the car but overall I haven't wanted to change much.

Perfomance:
1) Moton Super Sports (Double Adjustable) with a conservative alignment & proper corner balance by BimmerWorld

2) PFC-01 Brake Pads, and Super Blue Fluid, again from BimmerWorld

Protection and a few extras:
1) Lamin-x Protective film - Headlights, side sills, and rear fender

2) BMW Performance Steering Wheel - http://www.unitedbmwonline.com/

3) BMW Rear Spoiler - http://www.unitedbmwonline.com/

I recently bought a set of 18" ARC-8's with Hankook RS-3's but won't get them on track until Road Atlanta with Chin MotorSports next month. Going over a local mountain last week with a GT3 chasing me showed how good the tires are with some heat in them but I won't really know until I'm on track.

The car has been 100% reliable and rattle free. I have had a few cars that got a lot of unwanted attention and the 1M seems to sneak by most people unnoticed. It's been a good year with the 1M and I can honestly say it's the fastest/best car I've owned. Thanks to the people at M who had the balls to design and then actually get it approved by BMW. There aren't many car companies out there who would build a car that, to me, is somewhat financially risky. BMW, you truly built a cult car, again.

1M Delivered:http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=528522

Road Atlanta Track Time:http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=540565

Sebring Track Time:http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=635119

A few pics from start to present....
Attached Images

Last edited by Dan Parker; 07-31-2012 at 09:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 01:42 PM   #2
Tony135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ‘22 Model 3

You're doing it right. Love the P-car too!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 01:44 PM   #3
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

05-07-2012, 02:00 PM   #4
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep

Thanks Tony! I can't claim ownership of the P-car but I can happily say I've driven it.
Cheers.
      05-07-2012, 02:15 PM   #5
lcrain
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, TT-RS

Congrats. Odd to think that a lot of these have been on the streets for almost a year. I have only owned mine for a few months.

Nice to see that you actually use yours. Some people on this forum seem like the are afraid to use their cars. Mine is my only car and daily driver. Would love to hear some more insight of the RS3s...especially on the street.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 02:28 PM   #6
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep

I have about 250 miles on the street with them. They ride a bit softer and are a bit noisier then stock (to be expected of course). I took the car to Road Atlanta to attend the Walter Mitty races 2 weekends ago so I was able to push the car a bit going over a very sweet mountain drive. They aren't stupid slippery when cold but after pushing them hard for a short time they turn on. I was able to lift on corner entry and get the back end to rotate. I would really prefer to keep them on 100% of the time but with a tread wear of 140 I'm thinking that might be stupid. Near the limit they communicate with a bit of noise so they don't just give up without warning. Overall, I really like them so far. Road Atlanta is June 4th so I'll have video and data (to compare to last year when the car was bone stock) so that should be an interesting comparison, especially if the temps are near 100 degrees like last year.
      05-07-2012, 02:47 PM   #7
JohnCena
Banned
Rep
Drives: VO

Garage List
Dan the track man!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 03:08 PM   #8
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, i3 & track built Astra OPC

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 04:14 PM   #9
lcrain
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Parker View Post
I have about 250 miles on the street with them. They ride a bit softer and are a bit noisier then stock (to be expected of course). I took the car to Road Atlanta to attend the Walter Mitty races 2 weekends ago so I was able to push the car a bit going over a very sweet mountain drive. They aren't stupid slippery when cold but after pushing them hard for a short time they turn on. I was able to lift on corner entry and get the back end to rotate. I would really prefer to keep them on 100% of the time but with a tread wear of 140 I'm thinking that might be stupid. Near the limit they communicate with a bit of noise so they don't just give up without warning. Overall, I really like them so far. Road Atlanta is June 4th so I'll have video and data (to compare to last year when the car was bone stock) so that should be an interesting comparison, especially if the temps are near 100 degrees like last year.
Thanks for the feedback. I am wanting to step down to an 18 inch setup when my tires wear down, leaning towards apex wheels. Wondering if it would be stupid to run the RS3s in a daily situation. I have read that they aren't very good for rain which is really the only thing holding me back about them.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 04:43 AM   #10
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep

I've yet to drive them in the rain so I can't comment but when I do I'll be sure to let you know. The rain reviews don't sound good but I've very much disagreed with reviews in the past. Heck, RA-1's are awesome in the rain as long as they aren't 70%+ worn.
      05-08-2012, 08:34 AM   #11
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcrain View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I am wanting to step down to an 18 inch setup when my tires wear down, leaning towards apex wheels. Wondering if it would be stupid to run the RS3s in a daily situation. I have read that they aren't very good for rain which is really the only thing holding me back about them.
I am at this crossroads myself. I have seen several cars here in TX on RS-3s and the cars are either street driven or driven to the track. I will likely pick up RS3 for my Apex 18s.... trying to decide if I want a third set of wheels or not ( I do). At this point though, after swapping from stock to race tires and back three times to four times in the past two weekends, I really would like a set of tires i can just run to the track with on my street wheels. I don't know that there are Hankooks available in 19... which leads me to the third set of wheels..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 01:07 PM   #12
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep

You might want to check this out. APEX is making a wheel that looks strangely familiar. The first batch is due out in about 2 months.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1829478
      05-08-2012, 01:43 PM   #13
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Dan the track man!
That's a sore subject actually. If I had my way I'd be at the track a lot more then I have been lately. The engine in my race car went kaboom at the end of the 2011 season and I can't decide what to put back in it's place. The class I raced in is getting thin and I want more competition. I want to put an engine in the car that is competitive between several clubs but that's hard when their rules are so different from one another. I've been doing some long enduros in other cars for the past year and that has proven to be a lot of fun. No wrench turning, trailering, and maintenance makes for a much nicer time.
      05-08-2012, 01:45 PM   #14
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Congrats Dan, I still vividly remember you getting yours early in the run, while most of us were anxiously waiting (for months that seemed like years) to get ours and we were living vicariously through your experiences! Many more years of safe and enjoyable driving!
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 08:16 AM   #15
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep

Thanks much! Happy Birthday to my car today. Pyrat rum for breakfast, lunch, and dinner!
      05-09-2012, 11:13 AM   #16
Wild Bill
Old Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: JCW Clubman, 1M, 2007 Vette

Garage List
2007 Corvette  [0.00]
2011 1M Coupe  [10.00]
2010 MINI JCW Clubman  [10.00]
Ours is 1 year old today

9600 miles.

WB
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 02:40 PM   #17
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep

Congrats from the east coast Bill!

In regards to the RS3's in the rain, I took my car out for a 40 mile drive today in heavy rain. I think the tires are fine in the rain. I intentionally gave it a workout in standing water and didn't think they were unfit at all. Keep in mind they have 250 miles on them so this might change when they are more worn but I have to say they did just fine, even when I shut off electronics and had a little sideways fun. Yes, it was on the street but I was on a road where cows and a few turkeys were the only thing to hit. I went up to around 70 or 80 mph through some sweepers with MDM on and got no flashing lights from the DSC gods. Now, don't go blame me if you ball up your car on RS3's in the rain (my attorney speaking) but I saw no issues with them and they were pretty much cold when I started to "test" them.
      05-09-2012, 03:05 PM   #18
lcrain
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Congrats from the east coast Bill!

In regards to the RS3's in the rain, I took my car out for a 40 mile drive today in heavy rain. I think the tires are fine in the rain. I intentionally gave it a workout in standing water and didn't think they were unfit at all. Keep in mind they have 250 miles on them so this might change when they are more worn but I have to say they did just fine, even when I shut off electronics and had a little sideways fun. Yes, it was on the street but I was on a road where cows and a few turkeys were the only thing to hit. I went up to around 70 or 80 mph through some sweepers with MDM on and got no flashing lights from the DSC gods. Now, don't go blame me if you ball up your car on RS3's in the rain (my attorney speaking) but I saw no issues with them and they were pretty much cold when I started to "test" them.
Great news. I bet the performance will diminish with more wear in the rain, but I am more worries about daily situations in the rain. I will do a little more research when I get closer to making a move. I have a solid amount of life left on the stockers.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 10:48 AM   #19
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Any update on the final outcome of the engine mishap ? Sorted out in a positive way for you ?

Hopefully your 1M is back in good shape.
      12-03-2012, 07:42 AM   #20
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep

Since the regional technician wanted to make an example out of my installing an aftermarket charge pipe they denied my claim. Cylinder 6 is beat to hell. The engine grenaded 700-800 miles after the installation but the BMW RT put his foot as far up my ass as possible and I'm just not able to fight a legal battle against goliath right now. He claims I dropped a bolt or something in the engine during installation. I know I didn't. The car is now at an independent shop. I'll leave it at that.
      12-03-2012, 08:53 AM   #21
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Since the regional technician wanted to make an example out of my installing an aftermarket charge pipe they denied my claim. Cylinder 6 is beat to hell. The engine grenaded 700-800 miles after the installation but the BMW RT put his foot as far up my ass as possible and I'm just not able to fight a legal battle against goliath right now. He claims I dropped a bolt or something in the engine during installation. I know I didn't. The car is now at an independent shop. I'll leave it at that.
Really sorry, Dan.

Of course, complete bs. Even if bolt dropped in intake, there's no way a bolt could travel through the turbos and intercooler and then through the intake manifold and head into cyl. 6!

Neil
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 10:32 AM   #22
flzrider
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Was the foreign material in cylinder 6 ever actually identified as a bolt? I'd imagine it'd be pretty hard to tell after being mashed up like that.