BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-02-2012, 12:13 AM   #1
2010BMW335iXdrive
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i xdrive

Best...Phone Mount...EVER

I searched far and wide for a sleek, minimalistic, unobtrusive phone mount for my (2010) 1’er. I wanted something clean, something that didn't detract from the beauty of the 1 series from the both an exterior and interior perspective. I found a few posts discussing the various “clunky” looking options on the market…and finally I arrived found something different…I found “Steelie”. Steelie’s universal ***magnetic*** phone mount is easily the best way to get your phone perfectly integrated into your 1’er’s interior. I’ll spare you the details, this short video should do the trick – check it out (turn your sound up):

Last edited by 2010BMW335iXdrive; 09-02-2012 at 12:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 07:47 AM   #2
pinmagic
The Only Sane One Here
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

Steelie is very cool. It was funded on kickstarter.com. The only downside I can see is that on part has to be permanently mounted to your phone, which might create problems with some cases, and isn't necessarily the most attractive thing. But all in all, probably worth it.
      09-02-2012, 08:20 AM   #3
Sylon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, SG/CR, 6MT, M-Sport

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
That looks absolutely awful. I can't see how anyone would want a big metal ball sticking out of their dashboards. Not to mention, magnets and LCD screens don't get along well. That's something you really have to be careful with.

2011 BMW 135i | Space Gray | ///M-Sport | BMW CCA #450291
Facebook / Instagram / YouTube / Twitter
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 08:22 AM   #4
UsualSuspect
Lieutenant General ***
United_States
Rep
Drives: this way and that way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010BMW135i View Post
I searched far and wide for a sleek, minimalistic, unobtrusive phone mount for my (2010) 1’er. I wanted something clean, something that didn't detract from the beauty of the 1 series from the both an exterior and interior perspective. I found a few posts discussing the various “clunky” looking options on the market…and finally I arrived found something different…I found “Steelie”. Steelie’s universal ***magnetic*** phone mount is easily the best way to get your phone perfectly integrated into your 1’er’s interior. I’ll spare you the details, this short video should do the trick – check it out (turn your sound up):
Nice video! What software do you use to edit with?
      09-02-2012, 08:36 AM   #5
2010BMW335iXdrive
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsualSuspect View Post
Nice video! What software do you use to edit with?
two programs, 'Adobe Premier Elements 10' to swap the video from horizontal to vertical. Then i used Camtasia to do all the heavy lifting in terms of editing. Camtasia is a screen capture software solution that allows you record video of what you doing on your computer screen but I've used it so much in my day-to-day job that I've gotten 'ok' at simply importing my own media and editing it.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 08:51 AM   #6
2010BMW335iXdrive
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylon View Post
That looks absolutely awful. I can't see how anyone would want a big metal ball sticking out of their dashboards. Not to mention, magnets and LCD screens don't get along well. That's something you really have to be careful with.
in a perfect world, Sylon, the mount would be completely invisible. But what's the alternative bearing in mind we're talking about a 2010 1 series, not the newer models with more and better options for phone mounting. I can't find a less obtrusive mount on the market today. Everything I've seen seems to be some version of a large plastic mount that's suction cupped to your window or sticking out from something via a big plastic arm. Let me know if you found something better.

I considered painting the steel matte black but I'm pretty sure the magnet on the phone would scrape off the paint in no time.

as for the science behind magnets affecting LCD screens...i'll take Steelie's guarantee (and Apple's corresponding guarantee) that the mount won't damage the phone at all. I'm assuming Steelie and Apple aren't lying.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 09:31 AM   #7
UsualSuspect
Lieutenant General ***
United_States
Rep
Drives: this way and that way...

Quote:
two programs, 'Adobe Premier Elements 10' to swap the video from horizontal to vertical. Then i used Camtasia to do all the heavy lifting in terms of editing. Camtasia is a screen capture software solution that allows you record video of what you doing on your computer screen but I've used it so much in my day-to-day job that I've gotten 'ok' at simply importing my own media and editing it.
Thanks for the info. Yeah I use Camtasia for screen recording. If you want Adobe Premiere Pro, let me know.
      09-02-2012, 10:17 AM   #8
Sylon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, SG/CR, 6MT, M-Sport

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
Quote:
in a perfect world, Sylon, the mount would be completely invisible. But what's the alternative bearing in mind we're talking about a 2010 1 series, not the newer models with more and better options for phone mounting. I can't find a less obtrusive mount on the market today. Everything I've seen seems to be some version of a large plastic mount that's suction cupped to your window or sticking out from something via a big plastic arm. Let me know if you found something better.

I considered painting the steel matte black but I'm pretty sure the magnet on the phone would scrape off the paint in no time.

as for the science behind magnets affecting LCD screens...i'll take Steelie's guarantee (and Apple's corresponding guarantee) that the mount won't damage the phone at all. I'm assuming Steelie and Apple aren't lying.

Mine: http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...-e828-1-series

And I use high-strength velcro on this mount and the GPS clamp mount that holds my phone. So I won't need a fancy case (so it works with any case) on my phone. I can detach the clamp mount with ease and the Kudo mount looks like it belongs here. And I can use it with both my iPhone and GPS. Certainly looks better to me than a big steel ball sticking out of my dash in a random place.

2011 BMW 135i | Space Gray | ///M-Sport | BMW CCA #450291
Facebook / Instagram / YouTube / Twitter
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 11:00 AM   #9
2010BMW335iXdrive
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylon View Post
Mine: http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...-e828-1-series

And I use high-strength velcro on this mount and the GPS clamp mount that holds my phone. So I won't need a fancy case (so it works with any case) on my phone. I can detach the clamp mount with ease and the Kudo mount looks like it belongs here. And I can use it with both my iPhone and GPS. Certainly looks better to me than a big steel ball sticking out of my dash in a random place.
That Kuda does look like a really good mount, better than all the other non-Steelie mounts I'd found. Do you get a color choice to match your car's interior? It does look a bit 1990's though...

I'm in the early days of owning this Steelie, so I'm still enthralled with the magnetic functionality (super easy twist an tilt capabilities) and the ability to place it anywhere which enables me to ensure I have no power or audio wires glaringly visible. I do hear you though, the steel ball does stand out - but love everything about it! fyi my phone is mounted every time I'm in the car, so the only time the steel ball is 'sticking out of the dash' is the few moments it takes me to get in/out of the car with phone in hand.

It's a polarizing product (damn, what a pun), looks like we're on either ends on this one.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 12:42 AM   #10
1MAGINE
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i Coupe

Strangely enough, I ordered the same product and installed it in the very same spot. This was before I saw your video even. While it is OK for a vertical mount, it is not strong enough to hold my Evo horizontal, and even worse if I hook up a charging cord while sideways. (Roughing up the ball did allow for a more positive grip)This is my preferred position for GPS which I use a lot. Also, I didn't realize how far my knee goes over on cruise control, too far :-( Other than that, I have always used magnetic mounts and like them. I find myself sticking the phone to everything, and maybe now if I leave the damned thing on top of the car and drive off it will be there when I stop LOL.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 12:26 PM   #11
2010BMW335iXdrive
Private First Class
Rep

OP Update: I've been using this mount for years now and it's still great in my eyes
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 08:23 PM   #12
sl8anic
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i MT

Proclip/Brodit make great phone (and other device) holders.
Appreciate 0