BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-21-2011, 06:28 PM   #1
Uptempo80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228iC -picked up 8-13-16!

Quick detail job!?

I've had a busy summer so far and other than detailing my car and washing 2x a week I have not yet had the chance to give my car a proper detail.

In the past 2 months I've been hit hard with tension and turmoil @ work along with getting married this past Saturday. I also have been moving into a new place starting this past Sunday night. With all that I'm buying literally everything needed to start a life together with my wife.

With all that going on:
I still have to get out to detail my car properly. I have to make this happen in the midst of everything going on house-wise.
Where should I start?
I have:
-Griots Porter Cable buffer (never used it yet).
- Car Groom cleaner/polish
- Zymol HD Cleanse
- Meguairs Mirror Glaze show car glaze
- Meguairs Mirror Glaze new clar glaze
- Griots machine polish 3 & 4
- Meguairs Mirror Glaze cleaner wax
- Zymol estate glaze Vintage
- Zymol estate glaze Atlantiqe
- Zymol estate glaze Destiny
- Zymol creame glaze
- Zymol lehm klay
- Griots paint cleaning clay
- Zymol clear car wash
- BMW car wash
- Griots wheeled buckets with grit guard
- 1 new-to-me 2 car garage (empty as can be!)

Lost: all 4 of my sheepskin wash mits!!

Advice needed!
2013 320i sedan (Sapphire Black Metallic, Black/Black)
2016 228i convertible (Mineral White, Oyster Leather, Luxury Line)

Last edited by Uptempo80; 07-29-2011 at 11:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 06:33 PM   #2
Ridonculous
1 Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Congrats on getting married man!

Sounds like you have a bunch of detailing supplies/equipment already available. What exact advice do you need?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 11:21 AM   #3
Uptempo80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thank you!

-Sorry for my rant-like original post.. I'm a lil' confused about using polishes and sealants. I've only used one paint cleaner (or is it a polish) since the late 1990's, and that is Zymol HD Cleanse. It's a high quality product..no doubting that.

With the polishes and sealants...i'm just as lost as how to use the mixing scale for Optimum no-rinse.. I'm more worried about messing up my paint finish than anything so I'm in the boat where one enthusiast is too afraid to try something different; something that is proven yet the horrifying thought of something going wrong may happen. That is another reason as to why my porter cable buffer has never been opened from it's box (I've had it for 2 years now).

Just about a year ago I got my E88 1er and I did my routine detail by hand with Clay, Zymol HD cleanse, and Zymol Vintage. I've done this process for the past decade.

-My question is this: Should I still use the HD cleanse paint cleaner...but combine a fine polish afterwards with the porter cable (i.e. Mezerna power lock) and then add a DA-applied paint sealant before hand waxing with the Zymol estate glaze.??

I HAVE the products (other than the DA-necessity products). I just need a new system, because I think I can get better results using a buffer.
-Plus I've never ever used a paint sealant before!

Last edited by Uptempo80; 07-30-2011 at 12:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 11:01 PM   #4
Uptempo80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Never got around to performing the complete detail yet.
I decided to order 2 sets of new buffer pads for my needs.

Today they weather was in the low 90's and a bird dropping hit me high up on the hood near the windshield washer spayers. I noticed it too late as I noticed some light acid etch where the dropping was. I'd assume it was on there about 3 or 4 hours..enough to easily do damage.
I only have the el cheapo Meguairs scratch X on hand as I just moved into a new house last week and all my detailing supplies are in my parents garage. I used the scratch X on the affected area and it removed some of the etching...So I believe I can get it out with the proper products and my Porter Cable DA.

Being a novice...yet to ever use a DA polisher.. I'm looking for some insignt on doing this without messing up my paint. I just need the right polishes and sealants...ALL of which I do not have. What should I use first??? I think in my case with the newly added bird dropping etch, I'm sure need something stronger than a light machine polish. Sealants? I never used one before so I am seeking some advice on the best sealant choice I could make.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by Uptempo80; 07-30-2011 at 03:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 12:30 AM   #5
theonlynameleft
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i all stock

I just got the 7424xp from shine, like you it was my first time using a DA as well, I was very nervous but then I just said screw it after watching a coupe YouTube videos and did it, look up my thread of my finished result, it states what I used in there. For learning how to use the polisher just YouTube 7424xp polishing and you'll see, I believe that it is very hard to damage paint with this thing (same for the G110v2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptempo80 View Post
Never got around to performing the complete detail yet.
I decided to order 2 sets of new buffer pads for my needs.

Today they weather was in the low 90's and a bird dropping hit me high up on the hood near the windshield washer spayers. I noticed it too late as I noticed some light acid etch where the dropping was. I'd assume it was on there about 3 or 4 hours..enough to easily do damage.
I only have the el cheapo Meguairs scratch X on hand as I just moved into a new hose last week and all my detailing supplies are in my parents garage. I used the scratch X on the affected area and it removed some of the etch...So I believe I can get it out with the proper products and my Porter Cable DA.

Being a novice...yet to ever use a DA polisher.. I'm looking for some insignt on doing this without messing up my paint. I just need the right polishes and sealants...ALL of which I do not have. What should I use first??? I think in my case with the newly added bird dropping etch, I'm sure need something stronger than a light machine polish. Sealants? I never used one before so I am seeking some advice on the best sealant choice I could make.

Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 12:27 PM   #6
Uptempo80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Not sure of the names but my Porter Cable DA is the "Griots" one.
I'm sure it's pretty much the same as the other similiar-power Porter Cable DA units outthere.
It was purchased for me as a Xmas gift over 2 years ago & it's still new-in-box lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 03:40 PM   #7
Uptempo80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

What Product should I first use to remove the bird dropping clear coat problem? A cleaner or polish. TOO many products out there. Where do I begin? Is a fine-cut cleaner product needed?

I'm kinda frustrated...may have to get to Detailer's Domain in NJ sooner than I would like.
My car has alot of annoying problems for a 6,000 mile car that is hand washed 2x a week. I also have a stone chip on the hood that is almost the size of a pea. Even the bmw touch up paint doesn't match

Last edited by Uptempo80; 07-30-2011 at 03:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 05:06 PM   #8
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

Hey Uptempo..the bird etching will probably not go away completely. If it has fully etched the top clear coat, it will need some pro help on that one. You CAN reduce it tho with some cutting compounds, then bring it back up with polishes and then waxing to protect. Someone else will have to advice on the cutting compounds, as there are several to use with your Griots DA. There are also various grades of pads, so this needs some due diligence before you try it.

Re: the sealant. A no brainer there. Your car will need a fine washing, then claying with lube. One all old wax and dirt are stripped, then a fine sealant is applied thin, allowed to cure [I personally use Griot's sealant, and love it. It lasts, and can take any quality wax on top] for 6-8 hours, often over night. My one Bimmer has to sit out, and it does great. Had a Yukon in the severe Chicago weather out 24/7 and with just a refresher wax couple times a year, it was a great sealant base. Once applied, it is buffed off and then apply the top wax in maybe 2-3 layers. Sealants go on and off same way as wax, but need some cure time to bond to paint. You might like using the red pads from Griots for the sealant, then apply their Best of Show, in very thin, thin coats. You will not appreciate a thick coat. You also after sealing, try the new Megs Microfiber Finishing Wax with the Microfiber pads...easy on and off, but it won't last as long as the Griots. If you have the time, and enjoy the process, then the Megs will be fine. Good luck with all this..sounds like you have a LOT on your plate--sometimes new brides do not appreciate late nights in the garage fussing over sheet metal...they like you fussing over them.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 11:33 AM   #9
Uptempo80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks! I'll give that a try.
I need to get some extra Griots pads, so I may as well get some of their Sealant.

I haven't had the chance to fuss over my car at all this month, and I have good reason. I'll still worry about it & think about sending the car off to a Pro detailer since I can't get around to perform anything more than a complex hand wash. That's all I can fit in. Barely (it takes around 1.5 hours or so to hand wash my car & clean the wheels/tires).
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 02:58 PM   #10
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

Even with 2 buckets, once you get organized there and settled in, I bet you can get that 1.5 hours for wash including wheels down a bit.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 10:17 PM   #11
Uptempo80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I use 2 buckets I think It's more of the time consuming process I perform. I bet I can cut down on that time if I had a quality water blade and some Sonax wheel cleaner. With the proper products I'll get the time down, I'm sure.
Appreciate 0