BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-17-2014, 03:48 PM   #1
MoonsOfJupiter
Padawan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

Garage List
First test drive for 128i on Saturday.

I am in the market for a pre-owned 128i. I am going to test drive these cars this weekend:

http://www.bmwofcatonsville.com/cert...b304626c97.htm

http://www.bmwofcatonsville.com/cert...519a5386b2.htm

Any advice on what I look for or do while testing them? (other than drive them like I stole them)

I'm not ready to buy (probably 3 to 4 months away), so how to let the sales guy know I'm for real, but just not ready yet. (other than the honest truth)?

No interest in a 135, thank you.

This will be a daily driver for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 04:30 PM   #2
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
See if you hear any ticking noise on startup. It will be a constant ticking noise. It's not a bad sign, and a lot of us on here have this noise from 135is to 1Ms and it's really no big deal, but by mentioning it you may be able to get the price down a bit.

Also, the silver one is the SULEV version and therefore has the N51 not N52. No problem here if you don't plan on tuning it.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 05:43 PM   #3
MoonsOfJupiter
Padawan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for the reply.

What would the ticking noise be? From the valves? Or inside the cabin?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 09:31 AM   #4
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonsOfJupiter View Post
Thanks for the reply.

What would the ticking noise be? From the valves? Or inside the cabin?
It's from the Intermittent Hydraulic Valve Adjuster

That's got a lot of information in it:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=320299

Other than that, I can't think of anything else to be warry of. I have 30k on my 128i with no issues (knock on wood).
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 03:08 PM   #5
bNks334
Major
Rep
Drives: '11 135i (N55)

My advice would be to run those vin numbers and make sure both cars have the features being advertised. I could be wrong, but arnt the "sport package" rims different from the ones shown?

I see each car comes with the extended warranty, which is like a $1500 value, but both cars are too high in my opinion. I would try to get those sticker prices down 2k at least.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 05:57 PM   #6
MoonsOfJupiter
Padawan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by banks334 View Post
My advice would be to run those vin numbers and make sure both cars have the features being advertised. I could be wrong, but arnt the "sport package" rims different from the ones shown?
Yes, the Vin Decoder verifies that the 6MT one has the sport package (not M-Sport) -- and the sport seats are evident in the photos.

I'm not buying tomorrow, so I'm not ready to haggle over pricing.

Patience... I must have patience.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2014, 02:05 PM   #7
MoonsOfJupiter
Padawan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
The test drives went well. The staff at the dealer were very nice and attentive without being pushy. They all fawned over my brother's '71 2800CS when we pulled up.

I drove the auto first and did not appreciate it. Why buy a driver's car and then get a automatic transmission? Not for me. I found I could be happy with the regular seats and felt that the suspension was fine. I could not live with the base stereo, however.

Then I drove the 6MT. The first thing I noticed walking up to it was the silver color brought out the worst of its looks. I've seen the car plenty of times before (never silver though) but this time it was parked in a sea of 3 and 5 series and it looked emaciated by comparison. The Automatic was the dark blue color and did not have this effect on me. Can't do the silver.

The drive was great and the HK sound was fine. I found I was very conscious of the sport seat and wanted to fiddle with it the whole time. I can see why everyone likes it so much, but I didn't ever get it set right for the 15 minute drive. The regular seat in the other car I set once and forgot about it. I could be happy with either really.

I couldn't tell the difference in suspension, although my brother said he was aware of the additional stiffness in the sport equipped manual. It also had the run-flats but I wouldn't have known it if I hadn't confirmed it. So I guess I'm not a refined enough driver to care if I have the sport package or not.

So now I must get my down payment together and refine my search to include the HK, but don't sweat the sport package.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 11:48 AM   #8
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
The test drives went well. The staff at the dealer were very nice and attentive without being pushy. They all fawned over my brother's '71 2800CS when we pulled up.

I drove the auto first and did not appreciate it. Why buy a driver's car and then get a automatic transmission? Not for me. I found I could be happy with the regular seats and felt that the suspension was fine. I could not live with the base stereo, however.

Then I drove the 6MT. The first thing I noticed walking up to it was the silver color brought out the worst of its looks. I've seen the car plenty of times before (never silver though) but this time it was parked in a sea of 3 and 5 series and it looked emaciated by comparison. The Automatic was the dark blue color and did not have this effect on me. Can't do the silver.

The drive was great and the HK sound was fine. I found I was very conscious of the sport seat and wanted to fiddle with it the whole time. I can see why everyone likes it so much, but I didn't ever get it set right for the 15 minute drive. The regular seat in the other car I set once and forgot about it. I could be happy with either really.

I couldn't tell the difference in suspension, although my brother said he was aware of the additional stiffness in the sport equipped manual. It also had the run-flats but I wouldn't have known it if I hadn't confirmed it. So I guess I'm not a refined enough driver to care if I have the sport package or not.

So now I must get my down payment together and refine my search to include the HK, but don't sweat the sport package.
Good to hear. I've never been a fan of the silver 1 series either. The HK is a great system, wish I had it on mine
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 09:41 PM   #9
tehron
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i 6MT

i'll vouch for the sport seats. heated seats are a plus at that.

agree with you on getting stick

i got something in the mail about a CPO event at a local dealership. They are doing .9% interest on all CPO models. Thats how I bought mine. Definitely look for the promo and GL with the purchase man!
      08-20-2014, 10:56 PM   #10
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Quote:
I can see why everyone likes it so much, but I didn't ever get it set right for the 15 minute drive. The regular seat in the other car I set once and forgot about it. I could be happy with either really.
When you start trying to pull some lateral g's, you'll appreciate the sport seats.

You mentioned the car as a driver's car, yet you're more concerned about getting the HK sound system over the sports package....?
      08-20-2014, 11:25 PM   #11
kobeballer96
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6SPD E82

What's your budget? If the price is right I'll let my 128i go. I'm in North Carolina.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 11:28 PM   #12
kobeballer96
Major
United_States
Rep

My home town is Frederick MD. Will be doing a drive up there at the end of the month if you want to check her out. Mine is a 09 with more options then both the cars you posted and less miles too! 22k on the dot.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 11:34 PM   #13
kobeballer96
Major
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 11:37 PM   #14
kobeballer96
Major
United_States
Rep

I have all the stock parts too, asking 23k it's a 6spd, space gray, sports package, cold weather package, comfort package, xenon, hifi professional sound system, sports heated seats, Idrive.
Appreciate 0