BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-04-2010, 09:36 PM   #1
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Gingerman track in SE Michigan

Has anyone here been to Gingerman in Michigan?

I'm about 103 miles from South Haven where the track is.
In out IT/AV group we've got 4 guys and cars interested in going.
My boss has CR S2000, very nice.
I've got the 135i.
One guy from computing has a Mugen Civic Si.
And the head of physical services has an 08 Vette.

My boss has a good amount of track time.
The rest of us are novices on the track.

How much does it cost to run on an open track day at Gingerman?
My 135i is stock except for Conti DWS tires, which are not track tires, but I just want to take it as is to see how it runs at the track.

Granted our brakes seem to be very nice, but will this track chew up the pads? Don't mind if they do, as I can easily put on a new set. But, I'd like to know so that I can order a new set and be ready to replace them if need be.

I do have 2 motorcycle helmets, and 1 snowmobile helmet, as I'm sure a helmet will be needed.
Any other special requirements?
How much is track insurance? Is it required?

Thanks for any info.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2010, 12:55 PM   #2
Cisitalia
No fast lane bandits allowed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i TiAg 6mt M-Sport

Most of your questions can be answered by going to their website here:

http://www.gingermanraceway.com/

Cost to rent the track vary from $3k - $5k depending on week day or weekend and you get a full seven hours track time with support. Open track days are $150. Evening Test and Tune is only $60. Check the calander.

They have answers on the website for your insurance questions. Helmet must be SNELL or DOT approved and must be 2000 or newer. Please get the correct helmet. What you suggest is not an option I would use.

I will say I love this track and I have had many track outings there. I used to live in St. Joseph, MI which I lived about 25 minutes from the track. I used to go to the evening test n tune events and they were a blast. Some time you had the track to yourself or maybe 5-6 cars. You got about 3-4 hours track time non-structured. I also have ran with many clubs there for weekend events that were structured with instructors available etc.

If you are new, I recommend signing up for a club event with instructor first. Once you get some experience you can run on your own. I used to take green guys out with me and I would instruct them on the evening events. Fun times. Check their site out and since you are close you need to go there. I met many guys from Chicago there. I have not been there in ten years though. I have been running the east coast tracks from Watkins Glen to Sebring since then.

Good luck and go have some fun. Start a newbie thread on car track preparation. Bradford and Trackrat will certainly chime in and me of course.

Last edited by Cisitalia; 06-07-2010 at 09:28 AM.. Reason: sp
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2010, 08:51 PM   #3
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisitalia View Post
Most of your questions can be answered by going to their website here:

http://www.gingermanraceway.com/

Cost to rent the track vary from $3k - $5k depending on week day or weekend and you get a full seven hours track time with support. Open track days are $150. Evening Test and Tune is only $60. Check the calander.

They have answers on the website for your insurance questions. Helmet must be SNELL or DOT approved and must be 2000 or newer. Please get the correct helmet. What you suggest is not an option I would use.

I will say I love this track and I have had many track outings there. I used to live in St. Joseph, MI which I lived about 25 minutes from the track. I used to go to the evening test n tune events and they were a blast. Some time you had the track to yourself or maybe 5-6 cars. You got about 3-4 hours track time non-structured. I also have ran with many clubs there for weekend events that were structured with instructors available etc.

If you are new, I recommend signing up for a club event with instructor first. Once you get some experience you can run on your own. I used to take green guys out with me and I would instruct them on the evening events. Fun times. Check their site out and since you are close you need to go there. I met many guys from Chicago there. I have not been there in ten years though. I have been running the east coast tracks from Watkins Glen to Sebring since then.

Good luck and go have some fun. Start a newbie thread on car track preparation. Bradford and Trackrat will certainly chime in and me of course.
Thanks! Much appreciated.

The 2 motorcycle helmets I have are actually very high quality.
They are full face though and that may be a limiting factor.
Is that what you mean by not recommending them?
They are both Shoei and excellent quality.
I figured if they are designed to protect on a motorcycle crash, then they must be good for inside a car, no?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 08:14 PM   #4
Cisitalia
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
I figured if they are designed to protect on a motorcycle crash, then they must be good for inside a car, no?
No they are not that closely related at all. The main differences are: The SA standard helmet (required for car track events) meets extra standards for flammability and impact with roll bars and M (motorcycle helmets) do not met these standards. Thanks TrackRat for referencing that link for him to get further information that is important.

So RPM90, are you going to a track event at Gingerman? I still highly advise going to a club event and getting some good instruction. Not only does it stress safety issues, but an instructor will get you up to speed quicker and help build your confidence up.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 10:58 PM   #5
Wolfpack
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Everything in my garage

Garage List
Windy City BMW has an event there the last weekend in June. I will be there instricting again this year. Great track! Not tremendously fast, but very technical with good elevation change. I rank it as one of my favorites as there are no really long straights and a slower car can be really fast there.
Check out http://www.windycitybmw.com/ for more information. I will second the statement that you get some instruction. Better to learn the right way and not have to loose all the bad habits later. A good foundation is the best way to make the fastest progress as a driver.
      06-09-2010, 09:04 PM   #6
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
Windy City BMW has an event there the last weekend in June. I will be there instricting again this year. Great track! Not tremendously fast, but very technical with good elevation change. I rank it as one of my favorites as there are no really long straights and a slower car can be really fast there.
Check out http://www.windycitybmw.com/ for more information. I will second the statement that you get some instruction. Better to learn the right way and not have to loose all the bad habits later. A good foundation is the best way to make the fastest progress as a driver.
I'll definitely check that out.
Thanks.

Looks like I'm shopping for helmet.
Any recommendations, and sources?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 09:06 PM   #7
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
No they are not that closely related at all. The main differences are: The SA standard helmet (required for car track events) meets extra standards for flammability and impact with roll bars and M (motorcycle helmets) do not met these standards. Thanks TrackRat for referencing that link for him to get further information that is important.

So RPM90, are you going to a track event at Gingerman? I still highly advise going to a club event and getting some good instruction. Not only does it stress safety issues, but an instructor will get you up to speed quicker and help build your confidence up.
I do plan on going when my group goes. My boss says he has decent track time, we'll see.
If the group goes before the Windy city group, I'll probably also do the Windy city one too, for the pro instruction.

Thanks everyone.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 09:37 AM   #8
Cisitalia
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Looks like I'm shopping for helmet.
Any recommendations, and sources?
I have been using the following model over the years. I stress you should get a full face version of what ever helmet you decide on.

http://www.ogracing.com/catalog/1-Dr...-SA2005-HELMET

Less costly alternatives:

http://www.ogracing.com/catalog/1-Dr...-RACING-HELMET

I am glad to see you pursuing a proper helmet. Don't cheap out on helmets. I don't need to tell you why. Drivers shoes and gloves are nice to have, but not always necessary. Even though I was at a Vintage SCC club event at Gingerman that mandated driving gloves that were fire retardant.

I have used OG Racing for over ten years and they are great to deal with.

Brad
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 07:32 PM   #9
mpwrd3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E36 / E91 / F250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
See you there....

I think Gingerman is great track to learn on and still one of my favorites.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 09:42 PM   #10
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I have been using the following model over the years. I stress you should get a full face version of what ever helmet you decide on.

http://www.ogracing.com/catalog/1-Dr...-SA2005-HELMET

Less costly alternatives:

I am glad to see you pursuing a proper helmet. Don't cheap out on helmets. I don't need to tell you why. Drivers shoes and gloves are nice to have, but not always necessary. Even though I was at a Vintage SCC club event at Gingerman that mandated driving gloves that were fire retardant.

I have used OG Racing for over ten years and they are great to deal with.

Brad
In the motorcycle world there is the old saying, "buy a cheap helmet if you have a cheap head."

I tend to buy not the most expensive, but the best rated for the mid price point. For a MC helmet a good single color for around $200 for an RF800 back in the day. Now, an RF1100 is about $350.

The Bell Sport looks good.
What do you think of the HJC, this one:

Last edited by RPM90; 06-10-2010 at 09:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2010, 09:08 AM   #11
bluemoon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

They have just added a 1770-foot extension to Gingerman that significantly lengthens the straights going into corners 10 and 11 leading onto the main straight. I ran the new course last month and liked it a lot.

Corner 9 is now a fast, left hand sweeper leading onto the beginning of the track extension. The new track sections are fast and fun. They did a good job with this new layout.
Appreciate 0