BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-28-2013, 09:05 PM   #1
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i 6MT MSport

BMW perf. Shift carrier needed?

So I just picked up a BMWPERF shifter kit and looked through some DIYs, however the ones I've found only detail the shift lever replacement and don't have much info on the carrier replacement. It also seems like the carrier is quite difficult on a set of ramps in a driveway.

My question is, what benefit is it? Is it worth it? Will I get most/all of the benefits of the SSK with just a lever replacement?

Thanks for any insight!
      03-29-2013, 08:55 AM   #2
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep

I hate bumping this but Dack? Any insight?
      03-29-2013, 09:59 AM   #3
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

If you have full set what is your question about? Replace lever and carrier like everybody does.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 10:02 AM   #4
MLSavage
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i AW 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RimasRS View Post
If you have full set what is your question about? Replace lever and carrier like everybody does.
Because it's very difficult to do by yourself, he's asking if it's really necessary.

If I remember correctly, Dack speculated that most of the gain was from the lever.
      03-29-2013, 10:05 AM   #5
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSavage View Post
Because it's very difficult to do by yourself, he's asking if it's really necessary.

If I remember correctly, Dack speculated that most of the gain was from the lever.
Well I remember Dack was saying that this part makes the biggest difference...
It would be stupid not to replace it when you already have it...
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 10:16 AM   #6
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well I remember Dack was saying that this part makes the biggest difference...
It would be stupid not to replace it when you already have it...
Sure, i have the part sitting in the kit, but if it doesn't make a whole lot of difference, it may not be worth the effort for me. It sounds like i might even need to lower the transmission a tad to get a little more clearance. On a set of ramps, thats really not easy.

Its between just doing the lever only myself or having the dealership do it for ~$300...
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 10:23 AM   #7
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep

So after looking at the 2 tech. drawings of the stock vs the Performance kit, it looks like they are substantially difference. Bah... Looks like itll have to wait or just have the stealership do it...
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 12:07 PM   #8
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1aze View Post
So after looking at the 2 tech. drawings of the stock vs the Performance kit, it looks like they are substantially difference. Bah... Looks like itll have to wait or just have the stealership do it...
You don't have to lower transmission you have to disconnect prop shaft from transmission flange just mark where which bolts were connected other even easier way is to unbolt prop shaft central bearing it will allow some clearance though not sure will it be enough.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 01:35 PM   #9
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You don't have to lower transmission you have to disconnect prop shaft from transmission flange just mark where which bolts were connected other even easier way is to unbolt prop shaft central bearing it will allow some clearance though not sure will it be enough.
Any chance you could clarify this a little bit? Im having a tough time following your instructions.

Did you do this yourself? Did you need to move the mid-pipes? Any heat shielding?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 01:42 PM   #10
MLSavage
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i AW 6MT

Video 1
Video 2

In short they move the exhaust and remove the heat shielding for better access.
      03-29-2013, 01:58 PM   #11
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Arrow SSK DIY...

Quote:
Any chance you could clarify this a little bit? Im having a tough time following your instructions.

Did you do this yourself? Did you need to move the mid-pipes? Any heat shielding?
IF your car is an N54.... I would install the WHOLE ssk! After all, there is a reason why BMW engineered all the parts for their short shift kit.

IF your car is an N55, only the shift lever(#8 in the diagram bellow) is needed. At least this is what 1Addicts with N55's or 1M's are reporting. My car is an N54.

I asked my dealer how much they wanted to install the Short Shift Kit I bought from them(I ordered the parts separately to save some costs)... My dealer only wanted 1 hour's labor to install the kit... and franklt that was a no-brainer, For 100 euros that was too easy for me to let someone else have the grief doing the install. In the end... the dealer also needed to drop my mid pipes... they did not charge me anything extra in the way of labor. I only had to pay for two new midpipe/downpipe gaskets for 20 euros each.

Lets look at the SSK parts... You will probably have to remove the exhaust mid pipes and partially remove the drive shaft.

standard 135i shifter parts shift lever = #1 shifter carrier = #8
Name:  N54_shifter_parts.png
Views: 964
Size:  8.1 KB

Performance SSK parts... shift lever = #5 shifter carrier = #7
Name:  N54 Perf SSK diagram parts  .png
Views: 654
Size:  6.1 KB

N54 mid pipes(#1) that need to be removed....
Name:  N54_mid_pipes_249.png
Views: 742
Size:  27.7 KB

You might also watch this DIY video on an UUC SSK for an e46. While the UUC kit is slightly different(and the car) the basic process of what to do and the parts are about the same on a 135i.

And here is BMW's Performance SSK install guide PDF... (bmw say's its dealer's should only charge ONE hour's labor!!)
Attached Images
File Type: pdf shifter SSK install.pdf (997.3 KB, 123 views)
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 02:30 PM   #12
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
And here is BMW's Performance SSK install guide PDF... (bmw say's its dealer's should only charge ONE hour's labor!!)
I asked the dealer about this also and even pointed out the 1hr install time, but they pushed back saying its going to take about 2.5hrs total. I might just end up having them do it just out of sheer convenience. I have no problem getting my arms cut up installing 2 FMICs in 2.5hrs but for some reason, i just dont feel like doing this one myself!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 02:38 PM   #13
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
I asked the dealer about this also and even pointed out the 1hr install time, but they pushed back saying its going to take about 2.5hrs total. I might just end up having them do it just out of sheer convenience. I have no problem getting my arms cut up installing 2 FMICs in 2.5hrs but for some reason, i just dont feel like doing this one myself!
It took my dealer about two hours to do the SSK install. But they were nice in saying that BMW says it should take 1 hour so that is what they charged me.

Its probably also good that your dealer has done the install before(as mine had) and knows the proper way to install the shifter rod and carrier. I have seen some posts where the dealer tech installs the shift rod upside down and the lever is tilted up and to the right - shift pattern.

When I got mine back... the shifter sits in the same spot... just that the throws are much shorter now.

I would have paid them more... if they wanted to charge me extra. I think it helped that I have a great relationship with my dealer. When ever I can do them a favor I try to please them. And they help me all the time too.

Installing the SSK is not that hard. I did it on my old e36. It is just a tedious job. Its very tight if you leave the center driveshaft in place. You need to have some VERY long (storkx) needle nose pliers and a lot of patience. For me it was just far too easy to let my guys at the dealership do the install.
Appreciate 0