BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-07-2014, 07:08 PM   #1
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

N55/DCT owners who do NOT have any issues

We hear about N55/DCT owners who have issues. Lag, idle fluctuation, lurching forward, etc.

Who does NOT have any issues? Whether it's from a software update or no software update, BMW Performance power kit or some other tune, or whatever. Maybe you never had any issues.

I have had my car since October, 2010. Got the BMW Performance power kit version 1 and a software update in 2011. Have not had a software update since. Had no issues before or after I got PPK or the update.

What about you? Please try to be specific as to why you think you don't have any issues. Thanks.

Last edited by Esteban; 11-07-2014 at 08:31 PM.. Reason: Punctuation
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 08:10 PM   #2
Yeineken
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i M Sport

Garage List
'11 135i  [8.20]
'16 Ford Hatchback  [0.00]
'15 X5  [10.00]
PPK 1: I get bad throttle lag when the car is cold and in auto going from stop sign to stop sign in Old Town.

Also get a very small rpm blip when I come to a stop after the cars been running for a while in traffic.

Sport and Manual mode always make this disappear however. Seems to just be when I'm in auto mode.
      11-07-2014, 08:17 PM   #3
Pyrat 2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Rapidly from A to B

Garage List
135is with DCT. No issues. None. 11K miles and haven't had any work done other than free maintenance and free brake pads (stock pads smoked at the track)
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 10:55 PM   #4
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeineken View Post
PPK 1: I get bad throttle lag when the car is cold and in auto going from stop sign to stop sign in Old Town.

Also get a very small rpm blip when I come to a stop after the cars been running for a while in traffic.

Sport and Manual mode always make this disappear however. Seems to just be when I'm in auto mode.
Maybe that's why I don't have any issues. I always drive in the sport and manual mode. Always!
      11-08-2014, 01:24 AM   #5
Overpar56
Proud AARP member in good standing
Rep
Drives: Me nuts

If you don't have issues, why start a discussion?

2012 135i DCT, Lemans Blue/black leather, PPK1, PE, Stoptech Sport rotors and Sport pads, unhealthy crackles and burbles and an aging demonic driver.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 03:45 AM   #6
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overpar56 View Post
I'm glad you asked.

I'm curious as to why some people, with the same car, engine and transmission, have these problems and others don't. Aren't you?

Are there common denominators? Is it a lack of PPK combined with certain software? Is it certain software updates, or lack thereof? Does sport mode and/or manual mode conceal these things? Does PPK, or other tunes conceal it for some? Or is it something else?

I'm asking because I want to know if it's more common to have these problems, or more common to not have any.

We have threads that talk about these issues; why not a thread that explains, if possible, why some of us don't have them?

Used 135s are bought all the time now. This is useful information for new owners, as well as long time owners like me, who want to avoid these kinds of problems.

Last edited by Esteban; 11-08-2014 at 06:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 08:50 AM   #7
Bigiggs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135is

Quote:

Not to derail the conversation...but this was one of the main reasons why I was hesitant to purchase dct. This, and the fun factor of course but primarily the reliability and usability issues. Dct transmissions have always had lag issues that users learn to live with. I hope bmw/getrag or whomever the transmission supplier may be, get to the bottom of these issues for the next generation of cars. It would be simply unacceptable to spend >$60k on a car for it to have lag or reliability concerns.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 12:18 PM   #8
Overpar56
Proud AARP member in good standing
Rep
Drives: Me nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenEsteban View Post
I'm glad you asked.

I'm curious as to why some people, with the same car, engine and transmission, have these problems and others don't. Aren't you?

Are there common denominators? Is it a lack of PPK combined with certain software? Is it certain software updates, or lack thereof? Does sport mode and/or manual mode conceal these things? Does PPK, or other tunes conceal it for some? Or is it something else?

I'm asking because I want to know if it's more common to have these problems, or more common to not have any.

We have threads that talk about these issues; why not a thread that explains, if possible, why some of us don't have them?

Used 135s are bought all the time now. This is useful information for new owners, as well as long time owners like me, who want to avoid these kinds of problems.
Other threads have covered this. People either have problems or they don't. Both groups have chimed in on previous threads.

Maybe it's the color of the car. Who knows. BMW has at least stepped up to identify and fix it. I'm happy with the last update.

2012 135i DCT, Lemans Blue/black leather, PPK1, PE, Stoptech Sport rotors and Sport pads, unhealthy crackles and burbles and an aging demonic driver.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 01:39 PM   #9
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Other threads have covered this. People either have problems or they don't. Both groups have chimed in on previous threads.

Maybe it's the color of the car. Who knows. BMW has at least stepped up to identify and fix it. I'm happy with the last update.
Well, you and I have the same color and you've had some problems and I haven't, yet (crosses fingers). Is it because of the way I drive? Always in manual and sport mode. How did you drive before you got that last update? Auto mode? Manual and sport mode? Why did you have problems and I didn't. The only real difference I can see in our cars is that yours is a 2012 and mine is a 2011. And of course your inferior brakes, unhealthy crackles and burbles and the demonic driver.

Actually, that last update you got is another reason I'm interested. I've been following that thread and it seems most people are happy, you said you are, but some noticed a decrease in the exhaust sounds. It didn't seem to affect everybody in exactly the same way and I guess I think it should.

I always tell my service advisor "no software updates" and on my last visit in October for vanos bolts and the battery cable recall, she told me that depending on the work that I get done I may HAVE to get new software one day, and that made me nervous. Will my car get neutered, as some people call it? Will I lose some power? Will I lose some exhaust sound? I kind of like the raw edge my car has and don't want it tamed. I absolutely love the sound of PPK in engine overrun and don't want to lose any of it.

I want to be confident that if I have to get the latest software update one day, that it will only make my car better, with no bad effects whatsoever.

BTW, I can start a new thread anytime I want. I don't need your permission. If you don't want to participate, then don't.

Last edited by Esteban; 11-08-2014 at 02:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 04:26 PM   #10
gemini.m3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 xDrive comp

No issues here. Only issues have been rough idle which was fixed by a messed up injector, on occasion w/ AC the idle might stutter on occasion but nothing major
2015 335i (retired)
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 07:22 AM   #11
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
I've had zero issues with my DCT. Always driven in manual mode though.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 03:49 PM   #12
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
I've had zero issues with my DCT. Always driven in manual mode though.
I wonder if driving in manual/sport mode does conceal some or all of the problems that others are exhibiting? I'll have to drive a while in full auto mode to see if that's the case for me. Not that I want problems, but would like to know, just the same.

Spoke to my service advisor today through email about the new software update and she checked with the shop foreman and this is what she told me: "This SIB 12-15-14 is a correction to the engine speed intermittently fluctuating from about 500 RPM to 1,100 RPM, but this may not be happening in all cars. It costs $316.99. You do not have to be experiencing the issue to get the update because you are out of warranty. There would only have to be symptoms present to get it done under warranty.

It is supposed to update the DME software and during that process the other control units which do not have the latest software will be updated."

So, if you're experiencing problems and are out of warranty, or just want the latest software update, I guess you just say you want the software update and pay. If you are still under warranty, you have to demonstrate the symptoms and it will be covered under warranty.

Obviously, the price and the way of handling this situation will probably vary, but this is how my dealer is handling it.
      11-11-2014, 02:44 PM   #13
potxoli
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO F80

I have close to 30K miles on my DCT and no issues at all. I always drive with the lever to the left in "S" position since I want more responsiveness on downshifts with simple throttle press. about 25% of the time I drive full manual.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 04:02 PM   #14
gmartan
GB
Canary Islands
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i convertible

Quote:

You have two separate issues although both are fixed by the firmware that was recently released. In my 2011 DCT equipped 135i there was throttle delay right from the beginning. Many others were describing this as turbo lag...no idea why. Six months after purchase I added PPK and the lag was immediately gone. One year later it came back. It is common for dealers to update the DME and not tell you. Afterwards they say the car is performing as designed and there is no fix. One year after that I started getting the throttle surges when in stop and go traffic. I finally took it to a good (hard to find) BMW dealer who was willing to escalate with BMW. First they wrote custom software which helped with the surges for about a month. Further escalation got me a new DME from Germany. It fixed both issues. Subsequently, BMW released new firmware to the market that fixes both problems, this just before the warranty expired. I hope that you can get yours done.

Yes, Sport Mode reduces the delay but WHEN you get throttle response is no more predictable than it is in normal mode. That can get scary.

Given the number of discussions on the web for the last four years it is surprising that there are people who have never had this. They seem to be those that never had the issue and never did a DME upgrade and those that always use the paddle shifters. I really like driving it now. I just hope nothing blows up.

Last edited by gmartan; 11-11-2014 at 04:07 PM.. Reason: .
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 04:04 PM   #15
Yeineken
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
'11 135i  [8.20]
'15 X5  [10.00]
Should I just drop into my dealership and ask about updating the dct?
      11-11-2014, 04:55 PM   #16
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Should I just drop into my dealership and ask about updating the dct?
According to my dealer if you are out of warranty, you can just go in and ask for SIB 12-15-14 and you don't have to exhibit any symptoms and will just have to pay for it. My dealer is charging two hours labor. If you're still under warranty you will have to demonstrate your problems if you want it to be covered by your warranty.

On another note, I drove today in auto mode with and without the air conditioning on and had no problems whatsoever. No idle fluctuation, no lurching forward, nothing. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. Maybe it's because I've had no software updates since 2011? Maybe it's in combination with PPK? Maybe it's like my service advisor said, "this may not be happening in all cars."

Edit: Be aware that some people with PPK have said they have experienced some loss of PPK exhaust sound with this software update. That may not matter to everybody, but it would to me.

Last edited by Esteban; 11-11-2014 at 06:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 07:17 PM   #17
Yeineken
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
'11 135i  [8.20]
'15 X5  [10.00]
Think I'm just out of warranty. But I have the BMW extended warranty and I just bought it CPO October '13. I'm not keen on paying for what I think should be free.
      11-11-2014, 07:32 PM   #18
Chunner
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 135is | #341/586

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenEsteban View Post
Well, you and I have the same color and you've had some problems and I haven't, yet (crosses fingers). Is it because of the way I drive? Always in manual and sport mode. How did you drive before you got that last update? Auto mode? Manual and sport mode? Why did you have problems and I didn't. The only real difference I can see in our cars is that yours is a 2012 and mine is a 2011. And of course your inferior brakes, unhealthy crackles and burbles and the demonic driver.

Actually, that last update you got is another reason I'm interested. I've been following that thread and it seems most people are happy, you said you are, but some noticed a decrease in the exhaust sounds. It didn't seem to affect everybody in exactly the same way and I guess I think it should.

I always tell my service advisor "no software updates" and on my last visit in October for vanos bolts and the battery cable recall, she told me that depending on the work that I get done I may HAVE to get new software one day, and that made me nervous. Will my car get neutered, as some people call it? Will I lose some power? Will I lose some exhaust sound? I kind of like the raw edge my car has and don't want it tamed. I absolutely love the sound of PPK in engine overrun and don't want to lose any of it.

I want to be confident that if I have to get the latest software update one day, that it will only make my car better, with no bad effects whatsoever.

BTW, I can start a new thread anytime I want. I don't need your permission. If you don't want to participate, then don't.
I have no decrease in exhaust sounds!! DO IT!
2013 BMW 135is Coupe | Dinan Stage 3 | M3 Subframe Bushings | Dinan Monoball Joints | Dinan Toe Links | 1M Strut Bar | MPS AS/3 - VMR 710's 18x8.5 ET45 / 18x9.5 ET50 | MPSS - BMW 313's 18x7.5 / 18x8.5 | Min Grey, Savanna | Prem, Tech | DCT | Beast #341/586 |

2021 BMW X7 M50i | Alpine White | Children Hauler
Appreciate 0