E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > f*king neighbor

11-19-2005, 09:02 AM   #1
e90fanatic
Absolute0
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Has a Roundel

f*king neighbor

Some kid while parking his busted car hit my front bumper. Probably a light tap but I see some scratches...not very deep but is still too deep to buff out permanantly....i only had the car for 24hrs and i am going to install a clear bra over it. Do you think I should get his insurance to repaint my bumper before installing the clear bra? The police just said that my insurance will probably go up because I will make this claim. But since it's his fault shouldn't his insurance be responsible? what should I DO?!!?! I'm still waiting for that guy's call since he wasn't at the car when I found out. I can't even sleep well because of this!
      11-19-2005, 09:11 AM   #2
wla10000
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Of course go after him. I wouldn't mind if the car has been 1 or 2 year, but not when it's grand new.

Whenever I need to park next to an expensive car, I am always 120% more careful. For this guy, he probably was thinking: "oh, a new bimmer, so what! I just park my car recklessly as usual". He needs to pay for that!

Last edited by wla10000; 11-19-2005 at 10:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2005, 09:15 AM   #3
siriusinvestor
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1989 Ugo

Take a bat and smash one of his rear windows and call it even.

I'm just kidding!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2005, 09:18 AM   #4
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

If it's not that major I would not replace the bumper. Attempt to buff out the scratches first.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2005, 09:29 AM   #5
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
i wouldnt paint it. its a small scratch? as long as you have the guy info, just forward it to your insurance company. your insurance premium will not go up. but why waste your time? most body shop can not match your original color. i say nah, leave it alone and add the clear bra.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2005, 09:45 AM   #6
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
I never cease to be amazed by the stupid people here giving stupid advice and making stupid statements. What's even worse is that they are so stupid that they don't even think they are stupid.

Any GOOD body shop will be able to match your paint. They will use BMW specs.

Sounds like you filed a police report. Good. Get the guy's insurance information. If you can't get him to cooperate, simply file a claim with your insurance company and let them go after him. Your premiums will not go up. The cop is obviously STUPID too, and might as well join this forum.

Don't "live with" the scratches on your brand new car. Is this dickhead a neighbor? Does it have parents? You have lots of options. Keep a cool head, but let them know you're pissed and you mean business. Otherwise let your insurance go after them.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2005, 10:13 AM   #7
e30klassic
Banned
Rep
Drives: Sport T-Silver E90

Garage List
2006 328i  [0.00]
Yes, the popo is right. Everytime that you make a claim w/ insurance it will be a point system to lower your score (it's kinda' like "FICO" score like your credit report) then your rate will go up next year.
It happen to me last year that i make a claim for my X5s winsheild with 21th century, even that was not my fault the rate went up this year, and i was mad and call them. Further more, I try to change insurance company and everyone quoted me the same rate because thay know i have that claim and they told me it's gonna stay in their system for 5 years.
It's not my fault, NOT FAIR !!!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2005, 10:20 AM   #8
SilvertE90
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30klassic
Yes, the popo is right. Everytime that you make a claim w/ insurance it will be a point system to lower your score (it's kinda' like "FICO" score like your credit report) then your rate will go up next year.
It happen to me last year that i make a claim for my X5s winsheild with 21th century, even that was not my fault the rate went up this year, and i was mad and call them. Further more, I try to change insurance company and everyone quoted me the same rate because thay know i have that claim and they told me it's gonna stay in their system for 5 years.

Your ins went up for a rock chip ? Whos your company ? Ive had 4 MAJOR hail claims and no rate increases.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2005, 10:39 AM   #9
MonacoBlueNJ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 330i

I beleive most states have laws that state if an accident is 100% not your fault, as is the case here, your rates cannot go up. DO NOT LET HIM GET AWAY WITH IT. Being nice is one thing, but being stupid is another. You paid a lot of money for something you will have for a long time...get it fixed properly and let him or his insurance pay for it.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2005, 10:52 AM   #10
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30klassic
I'm sorry, when I said STUPID PEOPLE I didn't intend it as an invitation.

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2005, 11:22 AM   #11
e90fanatic
Absolute0
No_Country
Rep

the guy still didn't call me yet. As I still see the car unmoved. But after rinsing the car just now, with all the salt removed, i found the slight scratches is just the first part. there's a huge scrape on the front left corner! The police didn't file the report last night because he said it's pointless because the insurance company wants to find my residual paint on my neighbor's car but his car is so rusted and busted that nothing can be found. Should I file a police report now? I really want to smash his car...but it'll just makes matters worse...
      11-19-2005, 11:22 AM   #12
Tierfreund
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP
I'm sorry, when I said STUPID PEOPLE I didn't intend it as an invitation.
      11-19-2005, 11:50 AM   #13
schwma
My first bimmer...but definitely not my last!
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i

Something similar happened to me after 48 hours of ownership....by a car valet at a restaurant. errrrr!!! I didn't notice until the next morning; so I was SOL! The damage was a large scrape with a few other scratches to the outer left side of the front bumper -- no dent though. I did not take it to a body shop. Rather, I went to my paintless dent remover who also does touch-up work on bumpers. Has the whole computer paint matching system. I thought that the entire bumper would have to be repainted, because body shops have said that to me before, but that's not true. He air brushed the damage, and it is completely, utterly indistinguishable from the way it was before, just like new, and for a fraction of the price of repainting the entire bumper, and he did it in two hours.
Hopefully the guy will just give you the money to have it redone. I hate hassles, and I would have hated having to take my car to a body shop and leave it for a couple days and do all the insurance claim shit. I was "back to normal" and on the road for $200, end of story. (Although I now do a complete walk-around when picking up my car from valets!)
Good luck with your situation.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2005, 12:02 PM   #14
BMW786
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: SGraphite90

I've been where you've been...one time the neighbor's kids were playing frisbee near my car and I told them to please play farther away (what I really meant was in the street ) and they said ok, but they didn't move. Sure enough, they hit the front fender of my car with the frisbee and after that, I lost it...I was like "That's it!! I tried to be nice about this but what the hell r u doing!! This is a $40 thousand dollar car!" I don't care if they were kids, I gave them a warning. Luckily, I had the Clear Protective film on and it probably saved it from being scratched b/c it hit hard!

I really think you should invest in the Clear Protective film after, and if, you get your scratches repaired. You will sleep better, trust me. I have a 7 inch long scrape underneath the front bumper after scraping a curb, but I still got the Clear Protective film after that happened - no regrets. Hope everything works out for you...keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2005, 12:07 PM   #15
e90fanatic
Absolute0
No_Country
Rep

i asked geico about this issue and they actually filed a claim but a non-paying, just for documentation claim. Is that fine? Does anybody use Geico? I keep asking if my premium will go up and they said that the premium is rated for paying bills ontime, history, and other stuff. But still haven't really gave me a concrete answer that this claim won't increase the premium. What do you guys think?
      11-19-2005, 12:16 PM   #16
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Not to belabor the point, but first off there is someone else at fault and you know who that person is. Make the cops do a report. Tell the lazy cop he can have an extra donut later. Who cares what the cop thinks about the state of your insurance claim? Did you ask him any brain surgery questions too? Cops are people - and most people are stupid idiots that love to hear themselves talk (me, for example). Don't even take my advice without thinking about it.

1. Know what your options are
2. Know what you want
3. Excercise the best option to get what you want

If all that doesn't work, burn their fucking house down.

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2005, 04:57 PM   #17
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

hey fanatic,

sorry to read about the idiot who damaged your car.

ledzep is right. find out all your options and this idiot (thanks for the invite ledzep!!!) would add this.

write to your insurance company and ask for a definitive answer for the options open to you INCLUDING your insurance cost structure if you make a claim even though you can identify the person who damaged your car.

just check that if you claim on your insurance your premium WILL NOT GO UP because you can name the 3rd party who damaged your car. by golly, you even have his address and phone number.

also, send him a letter too, even a copy of the insurance claim/report.
let him know you are not leaving this alone.

he may jump into action because if he is insured, his premium will most probably go up. now if he isnt insured, i dont know but hopefully thats what your insurance company will advise you on.

all the best and i hope this is resolved quickly.

from another idiot's perspective.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2005, 05:07 PM   #18
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
David352Australia - I would never call you an idiot.

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2005, 08:19 PM   #19
chrissal1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Not to belabor the point, but first off there is someone else at fault and you know who that person is. Make the cops do a report. Tell the lazy cop he can have an extra donut later. Who cares what the cop thinks about the state of your insurance claim? Did you ask him any brain surgery questions too? Cops are people - and most people are stupid idiots that love to hear themselves talk (me, for example). Don't even take my advice without thinking about it.

2. Know what you want

Ledzep...you crack me up every day.....
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2005, 08:22 PM   #20
wheeler
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330i

Quote:

2. Know what you want

Yep, I agree. While I too am no brain surgeon, I can tell you from my own experience, my rate did not go up even after several claims for damage done by others, all between 2002 and now:

1. Hit and run driver sideswipes car.
2. Someone hit rear bumper while in parking lot--no note left taking responsibility.
3. Wife's ex keyed car--required entire repaint.
4. Windshield cracked by stone--replaced.
5. Boulder flies off truck in front of us--hits bumper.
6. Deep door dings and scratch accross hood - probably ex employee.

But one speeding ticket did raise my rates--not by much, $50.00/year if I remember right.

The cops do not like making out reports. They will say almost anything to get out of it. I'd get a report, or at least a Call Number. (In the city I live in, Sacramento, every call is assigned a number. Even if the cop refuses to write a report, you can prove they came if you get that number.)

And while I can empathize with the urge to burn down his house, don't do it! The police will DEFINITELY put down the donut and take the time to write an arson report.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2005, 09:37 PM   #21
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
David352Australia - I would never call you an idiot.
Thanks but my post was very tongue in cheek, you posts being so true yet I could not laugh at your serious humour in this thread. You were very good, but in a seriously funny way. No offense meant either.

Take care. All the best
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2005, 08:53 PM   #22
e90fanatic
Absolute0
No_Country
Rep

the guy finally called. Total bullshit! this guy is saying that he has 3 other friends to be his witness that he didn't hit my car. The thing is that.....MY CAR HASN'T BEEN ANYWHERE before the scratch!! I'm just gonna get my friend at the body shop to fix it....not too bad $275. At least this will let me rest easier as I don't know what this guy can do if I made him pay for the repair. His car probably doesn't even worth that much according to the condition. The landlord is pretty much not doing anything to help....I asked them to install cameras for the car park....but they only installed it for other spaces! Just wish this nightmare to end asap! At least now, my front bumper holes will be gone after the repair. I'm getting clear bra the next day after repair too...so hope that helps... Thanks for all of your comments and advice...