BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-16-2016, 12:04 PM   #23
R N M
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
BMW wasted so much $$$ on the i Brand and those resources were taken away from investing in their bread and butter cars.

Thats why we got an M3 without a V8 and F30 with interior build quality that took a step back from E9x while rest of industry upped their game.

i3 and i8 have a ton of incentives and still nobody wants them.
The standard model hybribs are a disaster as well collecting dust in dealerships.

BMW sells cars with Halogens still to cut costs - i mean that is unacceptable on 40k + cars!

New 7 is weak and brought nothing new to the segment.

Where is the innovation BMW is known for????
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 02:11 PM   #24
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by R N M View Post
BMW wasted so much $$$ on the i Brand and those resources were taken away from investing in their bread and butter cars.

Thats why we got an M3 without a V8 and F30 with interior build quality that took a step back from E9x while rest of industry upped their game.

The standard model hybribs are a disaster as well collecting dust in dealerships.

BMW sells cars with Halogens still to cut costs - i mean that is unacceptable on 40k + cars!

Again: U.S.-centric opinion.

And again: BMW is not focused on the U.S. market like it once was. It doesn't have to be, nor should it be.

And once more, with feeling: BMW is a global brand. To survive as a global brand -- particularly without a parent company -- it must predict and meet global demand, which is far, far different than U.S. demand. Exhibit A: the i3, which was designed as a global product and is selling fine globally.

Sowwee: The world doesn't demand V8 engines and standard fancy-ass lights. Wake up.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 03:56 PM   #25
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:

That is from your perspective but not generally the case.

#1. BMWi is not just about the cars or indeed the construction. Its a wide range of initiatives that have multiple benefits.
The CFRP innovation from the BMWi cars have enabled cars like the new 7er to offer ground breaking Carbon construction within the segment.

#2. The M3 forgone the V8 because a lighter solution was sought as well as the best in segment emissions for a performance car. There is a lot that can be done maintaining its soul by using less cylinders to generate more power.
Legislation discontinued the V8 as it did the V10 and sped up the direction to move to Turbo charging.

#3. The BMWi cars sell in multiple markets. And with the arrival of the extended i3 models we are seeing major increases across global markets.
The i8 will add a revised model as well as a Roadster which will prove to be equally popular. BMWi Performance cars are selling rapidly with countries in Europe having the iPerformance models as not just the best selling sustainable vehicles in the segment but also of the entire range.

#4. BMW sell huge quantities of entry models in Europe to not just first time customers but also existing customers,retirees and of course multiple fleets.
Just as Mercedes and Audi do also. These models are bought in base specification which include halogen lights as many fleets look at simplicity in avoiding huge service costs a bulb is easier and cost effective to replace.

#5. The new 7er has just recently celebrated 1 year on the market for many markets but some it went on sale early this year. Our sales figures say
otherwise with the car showing increase month after month. And that is without the full range available as yet.

#6. BMW strives on innovation. It has offered far more innovation than Mercedes or Audi over the past few years. Today however customer focus and progress has changed the automotive industry in regards to how cars are used today, sustainable drivetrains etc that everything changes in the blink of an eye.
BMW has to adapt but keep its core message of Sheer Driving Pleasure which is why there is and will be BMW to suit all.
Some want to be happy. The BMWiNext project will be decisive as it will be as radical as the Vision Next 100 Concept Car.
      11-16-2016, 04:24 PM   #26
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
That is from your perspective but not generally the case.

#1. BMWi is not just about the cars or indeed the construction. Its a wide range of initiatives that have multiple benefits.
The CFRP innovation from the BMWi cars have enabled cars like the new 7er to offer ground breaking Carbon construction within the segment.

#2. The M3 forgone the V8 because a lighter solution was sought as well as the best in segment emissions for a performance car. There is a lot that can be done maintaining its soul by using less cylinders to generate more power.
Legislation discontinued the V8 as it did the V10 and sped up the direction to move to Turbo charging.

#3. The BMWi cars sell in multiple markets. And with the arrival of the extended i3 models we are seeing major increases across global markets.
The i8 will add a revised model as well as a Roadster which will prove to be equally popular. BMWi Performance cars are selling rapidly with countries in Europe having the iPerformance models as not just the best selling sustainable vehicles in the segment but also of the entire range.

#4. BMW sell huge quantities of entry models in Europe to not just first time customers but also existing customers,retirees and of course multiple fleets.
Just as Mercedes and Audi do also. These models are bought in base specification which include halogen lights as many fleets look at simplicity in avoiding huge service costs a bulb is easier and cost effective to replace.

#5. The new 7er has just recently celebrated 1 year on the market for many markets but some it went on sale early this year. Our sales figures say
otherwise with the car showing increase month after month. And that is without the full range available as yet.

#6. BMW strives on innovation. It has offered far more innovation than Mercedes or Audi over the past few years. Today however customer focus and progress has changed the automotive industry in regards to how cars are used today, sustainable drivetrains etc that everything changes in the blink of an eye.
BMW has to adapt but keep its core message of Sheer Driving Pleasure which is why there is and will be BMW to suit all.
Some want to be happy. The BMWiNext project will be decisive as it will be as radical as the Vision Next 100 Concept Car.
Hear, hear -- except for the bolded statement in #6, which is up for debate because 'innovation' is somewhat subjective based on definition and point of application.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 04:29 PM   #27
R N M
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Again: U.S.-centric opinion.

And again: BMW is not focused on the U.S. market like it once was. It doesn't have to be, nor should it be.

And once more, with feeling: BMW is a global brand. To survive as a global brand -- particularly without a parent company -- it must predict and meet global demand, which is far, far different than U.S. demand. Exhibit A: the i3, which was designed as a global product and is selling fine globally.

Sowwee: The world doesn't demand V8 engines and standard fancy-ass lights. Wake up.
Well thats great info for all the North America customers on this forum.

Without the US volume - BMW is in a world of trouble especially since a lot of the high dollar cars like ///M are sold here.

There is a reason a company like Lexus is able to be so profitable and has very little volume in Europe.

V8 is definitely a need and demanded by all enthusiasts.
MB is able to deliver a great V8 and even V12s!
Plus they even have a SPORTS car to go head to head with 911.

You can make a real argument that they are more enthusiast oriented than BMW - which 5 to 10 years ago would be laughable.

BMW sales are falling like crazy in US - dealers and customers are both not happy.

BTW the carbon 7series of yours is DOA!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 05:05 PM   #28
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well thats great info for all the North America customers on this forum.

Without the US volume - BMW is in a world of trouble especially since a lot of the high dollar cars like ///M are sold here.

There is a reason a company like Lexus is able to be so profitable and has very little volume in Europe.

V8 is definitely a need and demanded by all enthusiasts.
MB is able to deliver a great V8 and even V12s!
Plus they even have a SPORTS car to go head to head with 911.

You can make a real argument that they are more enthusiast oriented than BMW - which 5 to 10 years ago would be laughable.

BMW sales are falling like crazy in US - dealers and customers are both not happy.

BTW the carbon 7series of yours is DOA!
As I said in another post: 2+ billion (China) trumps 340 million (370 mil if you count Canada) every day of the week.

Also: 'enthusiasts' is a relative term subject to definition. It's stereotypically used to describe those who appreciate speed in vehicles. Fact is, those kind of 'enthusiasts' represent a small fraction of the car-buying public -- as well as a small fraction of the BMW-buying public, both in the U.S. and elsewhere. BMW made its name in this country not just for cars that performed as high levels and 'drove' a certain way. Similarly, BMW made its name in Europe not just for offering a level of economy and refinement in a moderately priced package (which is its brand strength there, and has been for decades).

Without U.S. volume BMW would suffer but survive because it would adapt -- just as it's doing now to serve the global market. Ask how much larger makers like VW would do without it, however -- not to mention (dare I say it?) GM and Ford -- and the answer changes. Economies of scale, sir. It's a slippery slope in any business.

As for your quip about M-B's big engines -- it produces them because it can still afford to and remain viable, both as a brand and as a business. Nothing more, nothing less. M-B is a much, much, MUCH larger company than BMW. It can, and does, offer a larger overall product line in more niche markets because -- here's that word again -- it can afford to. BMW, on the other hand, has to pick its spots -- and it has, plainly to your and others' chagrin.

But get used to it. As much as you'd like to think otherwise, you don't matter all that much to BMW's future.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 06:05 PM   #29
R N M
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
The financial system in China is nowhere near as mature as it is in US. Yes the population is greater but it will be a long time before they will match US in volume. The average Joe in China cant lease a 3 Series as they do in US.

Also BMW just made a huge investment in expanding their factory in SC for X vehicle production, so your claims against US are without merit.

To your point about BMW not having huge resources, at one time they were hugely profitable but they forgot why people paid the extra $$$$$ for less features. It was for the amazing engineering, the steering feel, the balance between ride/handling. Now that magic sause is not as apparent and you have a TON more competitors like Jaguar, Audi, AlfaRomeo, Cadilllac, Tesla all trying to outdo them. Thats why their gamble on the i Brand is such a huge misstep that they can't afford to make.

Last edited by R N M; 11-16-2016 at 06:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 06:55 AM   #30
BDO
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6 40d M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
BMW thinks like me.

I'd like to bag both ScarJo and JLaw in a three way. Alas a married, middle age, overweight and balding Asian guy has as good a shot at that as does BMW moving 100,000 electric vehicles by 2017.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/bmw-se...140537095.html

There's some serious discrepancy going on here.
I really hope you meant JLo and not Jude Law.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 12:00 PM   #31
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDO View Post
I really hope you meant JLo and not Jude Law.
You know, JLo used to reference Jennifer Lopez. But I think most of you are too young to know who that is.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 03:15 PM   #32
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The financial system in China is nowhere near as mature as it is in US. Yes the population is greater but it will be a long time before they will match US in volume. The average Joe in China cant lease a 3 Series as they do in US.

Also BMW just made a huge investment in expanding their factory in SC for X vehicle production, so your claims against US are without merit.

To your point about BMW not having huge resources, at one time they were hugely profitable but they forgot why people paid the extra $$$$$ for less features. It was for the amazing engineering, the steering feel, the balance between ride/handling. Now that magic sause is not as apparent and you have a TON more competitors like Jaguar, Audi, AlfaRomeo, Cadilllac, Tesla all trying to outdo them. Thats why their gamble on the i Brand is such a huge misstep that they can't afford to make.
Oh stop it. China's cash reserves (all in either foreign currencies or non-fiat holdings such as gold bullion) and consumer potential are insane. No one can deny that. It's all about the future, and China's the biggest future market on the planet ...

... but it's by no means the only future market. Why, for instance, is M-B re-badging a Nissan pickup to sell in Africa, the Middle East, and Latin America -- but not the U.S.? Because those are untapped markets that, frankly, matter more for long-term viability than the U.S., which is tapped out, partially thanks to the increased competition you mention above in the context of what BMW made its name for here.

Thing is, no company can do the same damn thing decade after decade and remain viable. Exhibit A for that? Porsche. Exhibit B? Jaguar. Exhibit C? Honda. (Shall I go on? I can ... ?) And, sir, you're doing it again: "you have a TON more competitors like Jaguar, Audi, AlfaRomeo, Cadilllac, Tesla all trying to outdo them" is a U.S.-centric statement -- and your inclusion of Alfa Romeo in it is evidence that you have no idea what you're talking about and have no idea how to contextualize BMW now vs. BMW 20+ years ago when it was (relatively) 'hugely profitable'.

(By the way: Do you have any idea at ALL how BMW positions itself in markets outside of the U.S.? It's markedly (pun intended) different. Always has been. M-B? Also different. Volvo? Different. Alfa Romeo? REALLY different -- and therefore a great case study of what I'm talking about in terms of the U.S. market vs. others. Shall I go on again? I can ... !)

Also: you're going to make a point about the Spartanburg plant that produces SUVs -- which, by the way, sell nowhere well but the U.S. and is therefore an antithesis of the i3 and even more proof that BMW is thinking globally -- when your original argument was about BMW going back to V8s and luxury?

BMW was 'hugely profitable' at a time when the world, and the consumer vehicle market, was far simpler than now. BMW was basically a niche manufacturer. It is no longer that. Even BMW Motorrad has a vastly expanded lineup than, say, 15 years ago, to take advantage of broader market segments to enhance viability.

I'll say it again: wake up. Then read up on strategic business theory, macroeconomics, and automotive manufacturing history. Then get back to us.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 02:14 AM   #33
JorgenM
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: Jag i-Pace and BMW i3

Todays news in Norway:

BMW i3 best-selling car in last two weeks, selling more than all VW Golf models (which has been the #1 car for years).

BMW is currently #2 on the brand rankings only beaten by VW. For the first time ever BMW is selling more than Toyota.

They say Norway is 5 years ahead of other countries when it comes to the car market, so maybe the future is good for BMW

A large group of VW executives were in Norway last week to learn about the market...
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 04:04 AM   #34
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Keyword is "hope" like how I hope that BMW quits slapping on M badges on every family hauler and wasting valuable M resources and instead slap i badges on those models. Like how I hope that M gets their shit straight and not force every BMW enthusiast to just reminisce about past M cars. Like how I hope that the next best thing they come out with doesn't embarrass itself against competitors (M4gts) with mediocre results. I just want to see one awesome (performance wise) BMW M car that we can be proud of and guess what? I guarantee it'll sell like hot cakes too.

For once just get back to basics and build something pure for the true supporters of this brand. Take a hard look at the gt4 and the 911r. M2 is a great start now let's get the best version of it. Find your soul and your balls.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 03:16 AM   #35
nhuem
Rep
Drives: with ford

I believe BMW can sell 100,000 electric cars in 2017 , excellent!
Appreciate 0