BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-19-2007, 02:18 PM   #89
Drillslinger
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M / R53 / E91

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbent View Post
and what I think is a rather cheap looking interior finish to the plastics & trim.
I'd recommend you withhold judgement on that one until you can sit in one. I thought that the interior was quite nice actually. Not as nice as my old A3 interior, but close. :iono:

Vorsprung durch Gas Geben!!

172 of 740
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2007, 02:19 PM   #90
Drillslinger
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M / R53 / E91

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbent View Post
I'm sure it will look better in person, but I just think it has a very plain, cheap look about it IMHO.
The Piano black trim looks very nice... but I will agree with you as far as the Aluminium trim goes

Vorsprung durch Gas Geben!!

172 of 740
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2007, 02:25 PM   #91
zirrah
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TESLAASTRO View Post
my expectation for the 135 is to have an interior befitting a 35-40k car....I'm not expecting A8L interior (magnificent) nor am I expecting "plastic fantastic".....functional , ergonomic, and reasonably high quality materials are fine with me.....
It partially depends on what you're used to as well. If I were coming out of my G35 to a 135i, I'b likely be stoked. But coming from my E46 M3, I won't be. I don't like the materials used in practically any of the new BMW's, especially the plastics. They feel cheap and light, compared to the older cars.

Maybe... we'll see how it compares to the M

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2007, 02:38 AM   #92
Garrett
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. E View Post
Why does everyone keep bringing up luxury? Who gives a shit about heated seats and power everything? If I want luxury, I will buy a Mercedes or a Lexus. The 135i is clearly aimed at enthusiasts and I would buy it for its performance, I couldnt care less about luxury shit.

So while the Evo and STi may not be as "luxurious" as a BMW, who gives a shit? I will buy one in a heartbeat over an 135 if BMW decides to price this thing at $38k+ because of its "luxury" and I will have a car that performs just as well, if not better for less money.

As you experience more in life... you demand more from life. Powerseats, Moonroof, Auto dimming mirrors, Heated seats are all things I deem necessary in every vehichle I buy. I have them in my 2007 Ford Escape. That alone doesn't make it a luxury car.

BMW's are respected for the engineering that goes into the design on the metal, body, weilding, adhesion and other technologies BMW put into building their cars. Thats quality that isn't seen in a mag, or peering threw a window.. you must take it all in over time.

In the BMW 135i your getting (standard) powered headlight washers... After years of owning this, you will learn to expect it in every car.

-Garrett
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2007, 05:05 AM   #93
Mr. E
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
As you experience more in life... you demand more from life. Powerseats, Moonroof, Auto dimming mirrors, Heated seats are all things I deem necessary in every vehichle I buy. I have them in my 2007 Ford Escape. That alone doesn't make it a luxury car.

BMW's are respected for the engineering that goes into the design on the metal, body, weilding, adhesion and other technologies BMW put into building their cars. Thats quality that isn't seen in a mag, or peering threw a window.. you must take it all in over time.

In the BMW 135i your getting (standard) powered headlight washers... After years of owning this, you will learn to expect it in every car.

-Garrett
Meh. I can get an 05/06 Mercedes CLK350 or E350 that will do all that and much more for $35k and it will have a bigger engine and more hp than the 135i. Not to mention bigger and more luxurious. The 135i is aimed at the entry level enthusiast market, they better keep the price according.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2007, 07:33 AM   #94
TESLAASTRO
DE STIJL
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Meh. I can get an 05/06 Mercedes CLK350 or E350 that will do all that and much more for $35k
youre saying the big E350 is going to have the same or similar performance numbers as a 135?.....I dont think so....+ havent MBs up until very recently been plagued with many problems?.....I have a friend with an 05 E350, single guy....the joke we kidded him with was 'are you going to rent a family"?

Used CLK is a good looking, nicely styled car, but ditto about the above....
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2007, 08:55 AM   #95
BMWeber
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
youre saying the big E350 is going to have the same or similar performance numbers as a 135?.....I dont think so....+ havent MBs up until very recently been plagued with many problems?.....I have a friend with an 05 E350, single guy....the joke we kidded him with was 'are you going to rent a family"?

Used CLK is a good looking, nicely styled car, but ditto about the above....
+1
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2007, 10:25 AM   #96
Garrett
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Meh. I can get an 05/06 Mercedes CLK350 or E350 that will do all that and much more for $35k and it will have a bigger engine and more hp than the 135i. Not to mention bigger and more luxurious. The 135i is aimed at the entry level enthusiast market, they better keep the price according.
Great...! Do it, buy a 3 year old car if thats what you want.

I hear so much crap on these Ordering and Pricing forums I laugh daily. Why are you shopping for car when you, yourself don't even know if you want a sedan or a coupe..? Whats your criteria for seraching for a vehichle..?

Bigger engine doesn't mean anything, it's HP/Weight... balanced chasis, refined components and all the other things that make up the whole of a car, the sum of all it's parts.

Bigger and more luxurious..? Try the 3 series.

The 1 series is aimed at College Grads who want a fun, passionate car thats high quality and offers a no-frills stance. The fact that it comes with bi-xenon (a $2k option on many vehichles), moonroof, 10 speakers, rain sensing windshield wipers, Dual stage airbags, Side airbags, Real wood trim, ...etc! All that is a bonus and not even offered on many cars in this price range let alone STANDARD. Not to mention that you don't have any maintenance for 4 years. Just Gas!

Your not buying a Honda, your buying a BMW.!!

How many times do we have to say that the 1 series is a smaller, more spartan'esque car, harken back to the good 'ole days. Carefree and inexpensive. It's perfect!

If that is not up your alley there is no shame in buying another car, but please don't offer up rebuttles of how you can buy a 3 year old used car instead of a inexpensive 1 series..! Not really a threat is it?

-Garrett
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2007, 10:41 AM   #97
TESLAASTRO
DE STIJL
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Great...! Do it, buy a 3 year old car if thats what you want.

I hear so much crap on these Ordering and Pricing forums I laugh daily. Why are you shopping for car when you, yourself don't even know if you want a sedan or a coupe..? Whats your criteria for seraching for a vehichle..?
touche-
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2007, 07:01 PM   #98
TESLAASTRO
DE STIJL
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
The 1 series is aimed at College Grads who want a fun, passionate car thats high quality and offers a no-frills stance.
I qualify!!!!! I graduated college, albeit 18 years ago....

You think most recent college grads would be able to pull the trigger on a nearly $40k car?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2007, 10:03 PM   #99
Mr. E
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
youre saying the big E350 is going to have the same or similar performance numbers as a 135?
If we are talking LUXURY here too, cant just look at straight performance numbers. An E350 or even the CLK350 is a higher quality car than an entry level BMW. So those cars would be a second or so slower, big deal, I am not buying a car to drag race. Its silly when people start saying the 135i will be priced close to $40k for its "luxury"
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2007, 07:43 AM   #100
Garrett
Banned
Rep

Quote:
If we are talking LUXURY here too, cant just look at straight performance numbers. An E350 or even the CLK350 is a higher quality car than an entry level BMW. So those cars would be a second or so slower, big deal, I am not buying a car to drag race. Its silly when people start saying the 135i will be priced close to $40k for its "luxury"

Whaaa..? :bs:

Mercedes doesn't usurp BMW in quality, they are about the same if not equal. Mercedes is a more luxurious brand, thus they offer more luxury! Not qaulity!

On the other end of the stick, BMW has always offered more performance than Mercedes, for the same dollar! BMW's are driver enthusiast cars, Mercedes is not!

Yes, now your starting to understand the 1 series and why BMW montra is for this car is "The distilled essence of BMW power, handling and style."

You can't go an complain you want more luxury in a 1 series when there is a 3 series right behind it thats offering exactly what you want.
Secondly that sounds stupid because the 1 series is shedding the luxury items in the 1 series for more performance orientated options standard, that cioncidentally arn't even offered on the 3 series (*ie Brembos)

Ironically, the 1 series is the least luxurious lineup offered from BMW, yet, BMW still offer a huge array of luxury items standard (as mentioned above in my previous post.)..! So even though the 1 series is not centered around luxury, it's still a BMW and you einherently will get alot more luxury than you would from Honda, Mitsubishi, Ford, etc..!

Uno? Thats not fake wood trim, it's real. It's distinctive and it belongs on a $40k car, specially from BMW. So... what was your original arguement about, again..? You cannot even decide if you want a 4-door or a 2-door, new or used..!

-Garrett
Appreciate 0