BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-10-2009, 08:13 PM   #23
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

I have ceramic and have had no problems.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 08:36 PM   #24
dragon1761
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i SGM 08; 328i AW 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by stovesax08 View Post
This has been discusses exhaustively, and the OP is correct, the tint is not what is causing it. If it was then with the windows down there would be no problem. It is much more likely that water got in there-which explains why some people without tint have this problem as well-the CA parts are not sealed from water well enough-a car wash or an excessive amount of rain could probably cause this too.

i think what people are trying to say here is that when they put the tint they usually do it on the inside right? Water must have gotten in from the inside of the car where it might not be waterproof vs outside. Thats my theory. But no hard evidence. Also the person that post it says he is suffering from the same problem with the windows up and down so it cant be interference from the tint.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 11:49 PM   #25
trashcan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

I have ceramic tint, and my comfort access works poorly. It also worked poorly before I had my tint installed. I have been to the dealer about it a couple of times and they have no suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 10:55 AM   #26
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaeryan View Post
Just got mine done with metallic tint, and the CA is definitely affected. It's too early to tell a pattern, but seems like when it's sunny it is affected more and works only about 6 out of 10 tries. At night it seems to work more, 9 out of 10 times. Doesn't matter windows up or down. (The frequency day vs night could just be by chance.) SO, I'd like to resurrect some more questions which have not been answered:

1. Does anyone DEFINITIVELY know where the sensors for CA ENTRY are located?

1. Is there any proof that the sensors or wiring for them are sensitive to water? Typically, water affected components simply don't work at all in my experience. But I don't know how the CA actually works (is it short range blue-tooth?). And I asked my installer, who I know on a personal basis, and he said the max water he used is less than 18 oz (the size of the bottle he used) for the whole car, and most of it was applied/squeegied off, so I find the water theory a bit hard to believe.

1. The consensus seems to be that metallic tint can/does interfere with radio wave signals, such as radar, blue tooth, and the radio, correct?

1. Ceramic based is not affected, as per most posts I see?
Sorry, OT, but Xaeryan I love those old Sciroccos. My first car was a 1984 Jetta GLI and I loved that thing. I would have killed for a Scirocco back then!

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 04:22 PM   #27
Xaeryan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sideways mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackjackMulligan View Post
Sorry, OT, but Xaeryan I love those old Sciroccos. My first car was a 1984 Jetta GLI and I loved that thing. I would have killed for a Scirocco back then!
Thanks, they are phenomenal performers! My red '88 16V can outpace my 1 in the corners and all it has are some sticky tires and a very mild suspension (I'd consider it the equivalent of having the BMW Performance Suspension on the 1, which I'll probably be purchasing). Light weight FTW!
Appreciate 0