BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-23-2009, 12:13 PM   #1
anthony @ eas
United_States
Rep
Drives: R56 Cooper S

▀▄ eas | [YouTube Video DIY] - Recaro Pole Position Installation Overview - e92 M3

Gentlemen,

This video will go over the steps on how to install a Recaro Pole Position seat in a MY08 M3 Coupe:

Models Supported:
Recaro Pole Position: Universal Application
Macht Schnell Mounting Hardware: 2006+ 3-series, including M3 (excluding convertible models)

Products Used in this Installation:
QTY: 2 RECARO - Pole Position Seat - Black Leather
QTY: 2 RECARO - Slider Track Kit, inside bar with tabs
QTY: 2 RECARO - Steel Shell Adapter/Side Mount for Pole Position
QTY: 2 Macht Schnell - e8x/e9x Competition Liteweight Floor Mounts for Racing Seats - Black Anodized
QTY: 1 Macht Schnell - e8x/e9x Seat Belt Receptacle for Competition Liteweight Floor Mounts (Left Side)
QTY: 1 Macht Schnell - e8x/e9x Seat Belt Receptacle for Competition Liteweight Floor Mounts (Right Side)

The video is available in HD if viewed at YouTube.

Enjoy!

Last edited by anthony @ eas; 10-28-2009 at 11:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2009, 12:14 PM   #2
anthony @ eas
United_States
Rep

Recaro Installation Process

1. Slide the seat all the way forward and remove the 2 rear bolts.

2. Slide the seat all the way back and remove the 2 front bolts.

3. Tilt the seat back to access the underside.

4. Disconnect the yellow bulkhead connector.

5. Remove stock seat from car.

6. Remove yellow bulkhead connector from the chair.

7. Use a screwdriver to pry out the 2 gray connectors.

8. Remove the first gray connector.

9. The second connector shaped like an L is the one you will need. It is connected to the seat belt receptacle.

10. Cut the zip tie holding the seat belt receptacle connector to the chair.

11. Unbolt and remove the seat belt receptacle.

12. You will need to use these items on the Recaro seat.

13. Bolt Macht Schnell seat belt receptacle mount to Mach Schnell floor mount.

14. Use red threadlocker on the bolts.

15. Bolt seat belt receptacle to mount.

16. Install support bolt.

17. Use red threadlocker on both bolts.

18. Place spacers over holes in the seat sides.

19. Bolt side mounts to seat.

20. Bolt slider rails to the bottom of side mounts.

21. It will be necessary to slide the rail back to access the front bolt.

22. Press the slider bar into position.

23. The slider bar locks into place with force.

24. Install the Macht Schnell floor mounts and attached hardware in the car, but do not tighten.

25. Connect the seat belt receptacle connector to the yellow bulkead connector and ensure that the receptacle wire runs under the floor mount.

26. Ensure that the floor mounts are properly aligned and fasten into place.

27. Place the seat on top of the floor mounts.

28. Install the front slider bolts to the floor mount in your desired position.

29. Slide the seat forward and install the rear bolts.

30. Remove the plastic cover and unbolt the seat belt slider.

31. Slide the seat belt off and route over the seat shoulder and through the hole in the side. Reinstall the slider bolt and cover.

32. Comparison shot between Recaro Pole Position and stock seat.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2009, 12:15 PM   #3
anthony @ eas
United_States
Rep

Occupancy Sensor Solution

The stock passenger seat houses an occupancy sensor (OC3) which operates in conjunction with the SRS system. Upon seat removal you will be greeted with an airbag error light unless it is properly coded out or an emulation module is installed. This error will also appear if you are using race harnesses that replace the stock 3 point belts.

Macht Schnell - OC3 Seat Occupancy Sensor Emulation Module

For those running race seats, the Passenger Occupancy Sensor Mat (OC3) is now an integral part of the OEM seat leather and cannot be ordered separately - triggering a “Passenger Restraint Error” message that hijacks the iDrive/OBC, rendering it useless.

Macht Schnell has come up with a solution for those running fixed-back shells and want to retain their iDrive/OBC displays with an OC3 emulatior module that easily ties into your BMWs wiring with no cutting or splicing needed and can be removed at any time. For those running race harnesses, the Macht Schnell OC3 module will properly emulate seatbelts in the fixed position - eliminating any errors caused to allow you to focus on on the track and win.

The Macht Schnell OC3 Seat Occupancy Sensor Emulation Module is possible of the following features:

- The ability to run racing seats with no system errors, allowing full integration
- Elimination of “Passenger Restraint Error” messages on both iDrive and OBC cluster displays while in use
- Proper emulation of passenger OC3 Seat Occupancy Sensor
- Optional emulation of seatbelt receptacles (fastened position for both driver & passenger) for those running race harnesses
- Allows the use of BMW Performance Seats, which are not compatible with US models
- Completely removable at any time

Note: The Macht Schnell OC3 Seat Occupancy Sensor Emulation Module will disable the passenger dash airbag to prevent unsafe deployment. For this reason, this module is not intended for street vehicles and can result in possible injury or death if proper restraint conditions are not followed. Not compatible with euro models

Models Supported:
2006+ e9x 3-series, including M3 (US models only)
2008+ 1-series (US models only)
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2009, 12:16 PM   #4
anthony @ eas
United_States
Rep

Weight Savings

Stock Seat: 64.85 lbs.

Recaro Pole Position: 17.5 lbs

Recaro Pole Position and all mounting hardware: 30.25 lbs
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2009, 12:17 PM   #5
anthony @ eas
United_States
Rep

Completion Pictures

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2009, 08:56 PM   #6
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Thanks for the video and pictures. One of the few videos I watched from start to finish.

The Macht Schnell - e8x/e9x Competition Liteweight Floor Mounts for Racing Seats - Black Anodized is pretty much a universal kit, right?

In other words, I wouldn't need to drill into my car at all, correct?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2009, 12:12 PM   #7
anthony @ eas
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega Man View Post
The Macht Schnell - e8x/e9x Competition Liteweight Floor Mounts for Racing Seats - Black Anodized is pretty much a universal kit, right?

In other words, I wouldn't need to drill into my car at all, correct?
Yes, they fit in the e9x and the e8x without any modifications done to the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2009, 12:45 PM   #8
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
so that module prevents any airbag lights? I see that the passenger side won't work anymore, does it affect the drivers airbag at all?

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2009, 12:52 PM   #9
PrimoM3
Chemofski
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 X5M

Dude, will those M3 seats fit in the 135i coupe? If so, are those for sale?

'13 Space Gray/Mugello Red X5///M
Pavement Punisher | Snow Muncher | Family and Board Hauler | Roadtripper
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2009, 02:04 PM   #10
anthony @ eas
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackjackMulligan View Post
so that module prevents any airbag lights? I see that the passenger side won't work anymore, does it affect the drivers airbag at all?
It will eliminate all airbag lights and it does not affect the driver's airbag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo135 View Post
Dude, will those M3 seats fit in the 135i coupe? If so, are those for sale?
They have the same mounting points, so I bet it would fit. TO my knowledge, the owner wants to keep these seats though.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2009, 02:51 PM   #11
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Just to be sure, what effect will this change have on the airbag systems (which won't work in the event of a crash that would usually activate them)?

Thank you for your answers, seats like this were on my "to do" list. This DIY is awesome, and this may be my next mod...GF won't like it...but she's only in my car occasionally anyway.

First Thread I Subscribed To!

Last edited by Mega Man; 10-27-2009 at 10:53 PM.. Reason: Additional Info
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2009, 11:13 PM   #12
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Question for you sir!
I'm probably going to just do the driver's side, and if my GF likes it, I'll later do it for the passenger side. If she doesn't I'm good with just the driver's side seat and when I finally do get around to tracking my car, I can just remove the passenger side seat.

Moving on: I notice QTY 2 seats, and then QTY 2 for everything else except the Harness Receptacles. If I'm just installing 1 seat, can I just order 1 of everything? When ordering 1 seat, would I still need to order 1 Harness Receptacle as well?

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 01:26 AM   #13
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackjackMulligan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony @ eas View Post
It will eliminate all airbag lights and it does not affect the driver's airbag.
This in mind, I may only want to do the driver's side afterall. If only doing the driver's side, the module won't be needed at all, and the passenger side air bag will still deploy in the event of a crash, right?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 11:14 AM   #14
anthony @ eas
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Question for you sir!
I'm probably going to just do the driver's side, and if my GF likes it, I'll later do it for the passenger side. If she doesn't I'm good with just the driver's side seat and when I finally do get around to tracking my car, I can just remove the passenger side seat.

Moving on: I notice QTY 2 seats, and then QTY 2 for everything else except the Harness Receptacles. If I'm just installing 1 seat, can I just order 1 of everything? When ordering 1 seat, would I still need to order 1 Harness Receptacle as well?

Thank you!
Looks like I made a mistake on the list. Those are the harness receptacles (which come in a pair, thus QTY 1) instead of the seat belt receptacles. This is what you will need for the driver's side:

Macht Schnell - e8x/e9x Seat Belt Receptacle for Competition Liteweight Floor Mounts (Left Side)

I will update the thread with this corrected info.

Quote:
This in mind, I may only want to do the driver's side afterall. If only doing the driver's side, the module won't be needed at all, and the passenger side air bag will still deploy in the event of a crash, right?
If you leave the OEM seat in the passenger side, then the airbag will not fire if crashed (assuming there is no passenger in the seat.)

Shoot me a PM if you have any more questions.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 12:45 PM   #15
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i 'vert

I have a question about the airbag and SRS light too. I am also thinking of just doing the driver's seat only. The stock seat has side airbags so I assume the SRS light will go on if I put in the Recaro. Ideally what I want is to install the driver's Recaro and have all airbags function (other than the side airbags on the driver's seat which will no longer exist) without any SRS light on.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 04:44 PM   #16
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
The pics and video really made this product appealing. It looks like an easy and fun DIY and IMO, the seats look great.

Quote:
If you leave the OEM seat in the passenger side, then the airbag will not fire if crashed (assuming there is no passenger in the seat.)

Shoot me a PM if you have any more questions.
I'm actually going to ask here since I'm in no rush, and so that the information you provide might benefit the rest of the members of the forum. If this is a problem, I'll be happy to communicate through PM's though.

If the module were purchased and installed, would the passenger side air bags function. I'm just asking these questions, because although these seats are appealing, I'd like to have air bag functionality (safety first!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordique14 View Post
I have a question about the airbag and SRS light too. I am also thinking of just doing the driver's seat only. The stock seat has side airbags so I assume the SRS light will go on if I put in the Recaro. Ideally what I want is to install the driver's Recaro and have all airbags function (other than the side airbags on the driver's seat which will no longer exist) without any SRS light on.
+1 This is pretty much what I'm looking for. I'd like to have the Recaro seat(s) but retain air bag functionality and no SRS light. I'm going to do the driver's side first, and if my usual passengers have no problem, then the passenger side later.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 05:26 PM   #17
anthony @ eas
United_States
Rep

Installing a race seat in these cars (either single driver's seat or a pair) will require an OC3 module to prevent SRS codes since you are effectively removing the airbags in the stock seats. This wasn't a concern in earlier model BMWs since the airbags were located inside the doors.

A-Pillar and steering wheel airbags are unaffected.

If you want to run only the driver's seat, the other portions of the module (Occupancy sensor mat emulation, seat belt receptacle emulation, passenger seat/dash airbag emulation) are not required.

If you need any of the features explained in further detail, give me a call.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 06:53 PM   #18
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Hey cool! I learned something today: our airbags are stored in the seats (thought they were in the pillars/doors).

I'm going to mull over buying the seat(s) or not for a while. In the mean time, I see you are located in Santa Ana. Would you have the seats on hand to look at and test sit? If I do decide to buy, can local pick-up be arranged to save on shipping?

Thanks, Anthony!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 07:12 PM   #19
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i 'vert

Quote:
Installing a race seat in these cars (either single driver's seat or a pair) will require an OC3 module to prevent SRS codes since you are effectively removing the airbags in the stock seats. This wasn't a concern in earlier model BMWs since the airbags were located inside the doors.

A-Pillar and steering wheel airbags are unaffected.

If you want to run only the driver's seat, the other portions of the module (Occupancy sensor mat emulation, seat belt receptacle emulation, passenger seat/dash airbag emulation) are not required.

If you need any of the features explained in further detail, give me a call.

I think I get the part that I want to clueing into before. That is that you can custom program the emulator for specific things. So you you only want the driver seat, you only program it to emulate the driver side airbags. If you want both seats then you also program it for occupancy sensor mat emulation, seat belt receptacle emulation, passenger seat/dash airbag emulation. Is that correct? So basically there are multiple "versions" of the emulator?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 09:04 PM   #20
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
But will we lose the Passenger Dash Airbag?

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 10:51 PM   #21
SPEZNAS92
First Lieutenant
Rep

hmm... i see the beginnings of a possible group buy....this forum will never allow me to save money.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 12:23 AM   #22
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nordique14 View Post
I think I get the part that I want to clueing into before. That is that you can custom program the emulator for specific things. So you you only want the driver seat, you only program it to emulate the driver side airbags. If you want both seats then you also program it for occupancy sensor mat emulation, seat belt receptacle emulation, passenger seat/dash airbag emulation. Is that correct? So basically there are multiple "versions" of the emulator?
Multiple "modes" is more like it. The OC3 module can handle a single fixed-back shell with a stock 3-pt belt all the way up to a full fixed-back setup (Driver/Pass) with 5/6-pt harness setups. The OC3 module would ensure the system passes all checks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGoneRogue View Post
But will we lose the Passenger Dash Airbag?
Correct, since more dangerous situation would be not being buckled in and an airbag firing off. BMW offers a similar airbag switching supply for those that wish to disable the passenger airbag (as required by law). This however does not affect OC3 readings from the occupancy sensor mat or seatbelt receptacles.

The primary use of this module is in a race environment, since the error message are a bit evasive - especially in iDrive equipped vehicles.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0