BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-20-2008, 07:30 PM   #1
ronnyek
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Evo MR Touring

Basic sound system questions

Ok,

I found a great deal on a 1 and am very strongly considering it... however it has the most basic sound system (eg no upgrades in that dept)

I am sure speakers etc would be fine, but I would have liked to have bluetooth, and usb/ipod.

Doesnt appear theres really a way to upgrade to aftermarket stereo etc...

Is it a matter of finding a premium HU and swapping it out? Can I just buy modules to upgrade it? Or should I just pass on this fantastic deal and wait for another one?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2008, 08:46 PM   #2
1Ronnie
Ronnie
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 Sedona 128i

The Premium HU provides Logic 7 DSPs, but not much else. USB/IPOD you can get aftermarket, Bluetooth appears you can not.

The Premium Audio option also adds higher quality speakers, a new AMP, and uses the digital MOST bus for communication between the HU and Amp, and IPOD/USB, but that is a completely different upgrade, and I have not heard of that being available.
      06-23-2008, 10:27 PM   #3
WhiteOne
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 135i

Use an earpiece with your bluetooth phone.
All ones come with a place to plug in your ipod.
The base stereo is the one to get if you want to mod.
Upgrade the speakers and add an amp.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 09:19 AM   #4
chorn
Rep
Drives:

Blue tooth is part of the premium sound package ?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 09:37 AM   #5
gio
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnyek View Post
Ok,

I found a great deal on a 1 and am very strongly considering it... however it has the most basic sound system (eg no upgrades in that dept)

I am sure speakers etc would be fine, but I would have liked to have bluetooth, and usb/ipod.

Doesnt appear theres really a way to upgrade to aftermarket stereo etc...

Is it a matter of finding a premium HU and swapping it out? Can I just buy modules to upgrade it? Or should I just pass on this fantastic deal and wait for another one?
You should get the car if it's a good deal. You can add the ipod adaptor later. The dealer can install an ipod connector in the glove box for about $400. It gives you the same functionality as the factory-installed ipod connector. I'm not sure if it includes a USB connector too. I don't have either, but I'm going to with the dealer-installed version when I actually get an ipod. If you don't care about the ability to browse your songs through your radio you can just use the auxilary input that all 1s have.

As for bluetooth, I recommend getting a nice GPS unit (Radio Shack had one on sale for $350 recently) that includes bluetooth. The GPS will talk to you and you can sync it with your phone and use it for making calls. It's better than the BMW factory-installed navigation system and a lot cheaper.
      06-24-2008, 10:37 AM   #6
plien69
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chorn View Post
Blue tooth is part of the premium sound package ?
No BT comes with Assist, which either comes a la carte for $750, or with the Premium Package (ZPP). It's not part of premium hi-fi.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 10:45 AM   #7
Buckeye
Rep
Drives:

The dealer installed IPOD interface in the glove box does NOT have a USB port - FYI.
Appreciate 0