BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-16-2008, 09:00 AM   #1
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep
Drives: camels & donkeys

ED 09/08-20: Innsbruck, Lugano(SWI), Nice (FRA). If you've been there, I need HELP!

Hi guys,

looks like we are changing itineraries since my wife just loved some of the pics and feedback from some of you guys, so I need a little help, specially with hotels and routes to take.

here is what we are thinking:

1) arrive in Munich on 9/9 from MIA
2) Pick up Car on 9/10, look around munich
3) goto innsbruck on 9/11 (stay overnite)
See map here

4)goto Lugano (SWI), via Stelvio pass on 9/12 :bigpimp:...stay there 9/13 too.
See Map here

5) goto Nice (FRA) on 9/14 (am), stay around Nice/Monaco/Cannes thru 9/15 overnite:
See Map here

6) Drop off car 9/16 AM in Nice, take TGV from Nice -> Paris, arrive in Paris in the PM.

7) stay in Paris (FRA), 9/16pm - 9/19 overnite, fly back to MIA 9/20!

so, couple of questions please:

a) are there any better routes/ "Must See" paths I could take instead?

b) For those who stayed in Innsbruck, Lugano, and Nice, could you recommend me a decent but "affordable" hotel or bed/breakfast place? :thumbup:

F87 M2 Competition, Sunset Orange, Exc, DCT.
**SOLD** F80 M3 Mineral Grey/Sakir Orange, Exc, DCT... ED 6/2015
**SOLD**E90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2008, 09:28 AM   #2
dixon1763
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Hi,

I just did some of this trip on my ED excursion. We stayed in Innsbruck at the Seiler hotel, which was reasonably affordable (120 Euros a night), but not that nice and near the trainstation. If I were you, I would drive 12 K out of Innsbruck toward the Brenner Pass on the 182 road and stay in one of the hotels on the way to Matrei am Brenner. You'll have a true "alpine" experience, spend less money than you would in Innsbruck, and still be close enough to the city to eat there and walk around the old part of town, which is really cool. Plus, the corners on the 182 are nice, and road surface is wonderful.

Otherwise, if you want to do the Stelvio, I recommend Bolzano, Italy as well as Lugano. Lugano is beautiful, but it's cool to check out Bolzano, which is a pretty magical place (just ask Ezra Pound)! The Hotel Greif is nice, as is its sister hotel, the Park Hotel Laurin. They're a little more expensive (140 Euros per night), but beautiful. At the very least you should have drink or a coffee in the bar of the Park Hotel Laurin.

Have a great trip!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2008, 09:36 AM   #3
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixon1763 View Post
Hi,

I just did some of this trip on my ED excursion. We stayed in Innsbruck at the Seiler hotel, which was reasonably affordable (120 Euros a night), but not that nice and near the trainstation. If I were you, I would drive 12 K out of Innsbruck toward the Brenner Pass on the 182 road and stay in one of the hotels on the way to Matrei am Brenner. You'll have a true "alpine" experience, spend less money than you would in Innsbruck, and still be close enough to the city to eat there and walk around the old part of town, which is really cool. Plus, the corners on the 182 are nice, and road surface is wonderful.

Otherwise, if you want to do the Stelvio, I recommend Bolzano, Italy as well as Lugano. Lugano is beautiful, but it's cool to check out Bolzano, which is a pretty magical place (just ask Ezra Pound)! The Hotel Greif is nice, as is its sister hotel, the Park Hotel Laurin. They're a little more expensive (140 Euros per night), but beautiful. At the very least you should have drink or a coffee in the bar of the Park Hotel Laurin.

Have a great trip!
that's great info Dixon!, thanks:w00t:

so any ideas on the hotels outside innsbruck?

My wife definitely wants to go to Lugano, but I may convince her to do one nite lugano, one nite bolzano. are the hotel Greif and Park Laurin in lugano?

thanks again.

**SOLD**E90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2008, 11:39 AM   #4
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo View Post
My wife definitely wants to go to Lugano, but I may convince her to do one nite lugano, one nite bolzano. are the hotel Greif and Park Laurin in lugano?

thanks again.
Those 2 hotels are in the Bolzano area. Bolzano is south of Innsbruck on the Autobahn - it's in fact the easiest access exit for the Stelvio pass.

Let me look around for Innsbruck hotel ideas - I'll get back to you.

Try to get your wife to switch from Lugano (which is nice) to some other place on the Lake Como. Como area is magical, truly unforgettable - and it's the kind of place that makes wifes happy and romantic. :wink:

As far as Nice - find a place to stay outside of it. If you can wait until tomorrow, I can check out the Rick Steves guides for a suitable place - cozy, reasonable and authentic.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2008, 12:12 PM   #5
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Those 2 hotels are in the Bolzano area. Bolzano is south of Innsbruck on the Autobahn - it's in fact the easiest access exit for the Stelvio pass.

Let me look around for Innsbruck hotel ideas - I'll get back to you.

Try to get your wife to switch from Lugano (which is nice) to some other place on the Lake Como. Como area is magical, truly unforgettable - and it's the kind of place that makes wifes happy and romantic. :wink:

As far as Nice - find a place to stay outside of it. If you can wait until tomorrow, I can check out the Rick Steves guides for a suitable place - cozy, reasonable and authentic.
awesome! thanks...I will definitely wait!:w00t:

I don't think my wife is dead set on Lugano, so long as we stay around that part of the lake. I'm open to anything around there.

Appreciate 0
      06-16-2008, 12:18 PM   #6
ez311
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

The IBIS in Innsbruck by the hauptbahnhof is a pretty good deal. I stayed there in April and it was very clean and the location is very good as well. There's an underground parking garage directly under the hotel.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2008, 02:57 PM   #7
CAMike
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

I live in Northern Italy and have been to these areas several times (except Lugano...so many places to travel and so little time but it's on Uncle Sam's dime so I can't complain too much!!). PM me if you have specific questions. I'd stay in Garmisch before I'd stay in Innsbruck (only about 40 mins from Innsbruck as for me, outside of the old town, there isn't much to see in Innsbruck). IMO It's MUCH shorter to go from Munich to Innsbruck via Garmisch (then on through Mittenwald and down the hill into Innsbruck) on the 95 then the way you have it mapped. Just my 2 cents. Lots to see between Munich and Nice that you'll miss out on but the Stelvio Pass is a fun drive...be warned that you will be close to the end of the big European vacation time and could hit some residual traffic but it should be going against your direction. If you are going to see the back roads, you have a great route. If you are wanting "see" some bigger sites then you'll miss out. It all depends upon what you are wanting from the trip. Have a BLAST on your trip!!
      06-16-2008, 03:15 PM   #8
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMike View Post
I live in Northern Italy and have been to these areas several times (except Lugano...so many places to travel and so little time but it's on Uncle Sam's dime so I can't complain too much!!). PM me if you have specific questions. I'd stay in Garmisch before I'd stay in Innsbruck (only about 40 mins from Innsbruck as for me, outside of the old town, there isn't much to see in Innsbruck). IMO It's MUCH shorter to go from Munich to Innsbruck via Garmisch (then on through Mittenwald and down the hill into Innsbruck) on the 95 then the way you have it mapped. Just my 2 cents. Lots to see between Munich and Nice that you'll miss out on but the Stelvio Pass is a fun drive...be warned that you will be close to the end of the big European vacation time and could hit some residual traffic but it should be going against your direction. If you are going to see the back roads, you have a great route. If you are wanting "see" some bigger sites then you'll miss out. It all depends upon what you are wanting from the trip. Have a BLAST on your trip!!
I absolutely want to see more of the alps via backroads, etc....

could you googlemap the route from munich to Garmisch the way you are suggesting? perhaps I'm missing it, but it seems a bit roundabout..:iono:

I actually wanted to go to salzburg instead of innsbruck, but it's out of the way. perhaps Garmisch is nicer than Innsbruck, right?

I DEFINITELY want to go thru the Stelvio pass...there is no going around that! :thumbup:

please do share more info if you can! thanks again.

Appreciate 0
      06-16-2008, 04:01 PM   #9
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
could you googlemap the route from munich to Garmisch the way you are suggesting? perhaps I'm missing it, but it seems a bit roundabout..
I think he means this:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...89&ie=UTF8&z=8

I've had both good and bad experiences going this way. The Autobahn ends at Garmisch, then it's two lane roads with villages and if there is even the slightest traffic snag, you're in for hours. But of course the views are much better, and the steep descent towards Innsbruck thrilling (unless you're behind a truck or van).

If you want to be sure to make it to the Innsbruck neighborhood in time, stick to your original plan - just my opinion.

Whichever way you decide to get to Innsbruck, instead of turning west from Innsbruck after that, head straight down on A13, exit at Bolzano and head on SS38 towards Stelvio. The way you've mapped it you will miss the Northern ascent, because you will come in from Switzerland instead of Italy (not to mention you will be going on a dirt road).

After that, head towards Lake Como. There are numerous recommendations for hotels around this lake, but I've only been there once and stayed at Albergo Lenno in Lenno:
www.albergolenno.com
It's a classy hotel with indoor parking and the vaporetto station is right on front of it - even on a drizzly evening the place looks magical... At Lake Como, just take a day pass for the ferry and jump from village to village via ferry (Varenna, Bellagio, Como are all wonderful places).

Here is how I suggest you do it for maximum thrills:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...8,5.657959&z=7

To recap, my recommendations come from the following:
1. Stelvio is best done on the asphalt Italy-only road, SS 38. Come from the North, up the 48 switchbacks, bask at the top and wait for the adrenalin shake to wear off, then descend towards the 38 (?) Southern switchbacks and head towards relaxing Como.
2. Como area is nicer than Lugano.
3. It's still an easy and interesting drive from Como towards your next destination, Nice.

I'll look up some Nice hotel recommendations for you tomorrow.
Do you have some sort of GPS with you?
Attached Images

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2008, 06:23 PM   #10
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep

holy crap ADC! that is invaluable information!

thanks a million....I will certainly look over this tonite!

ps- I dont have a GPS yet, but my car has Navy, and I'm hoping to get the Borrowed euro DVD's for it thru bimmerfest

Appreciate 0
      06-16-2008, 07:03 PM   #11
dixon1763
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

The recommendations on the route from Munich to Innsbruck via Garmisch and on Como are spot on.

At Como, we stayed in Bellagio. It's quite possibly the most beautiful place I've ever been.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2008, 07:44 PM   #12
InsaneSkippy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

Cool! My first night after Munich was in Innsbruck as well. We loved it there, the drive down on the E60 was awesome as well. Enjoy yourself!

Appreciate 0
      06-16-2008, 09:49 PM   #13
j8smith
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 128i coupe

Playing devils advocate here, But you do realize you will be driving right by Monza on the day of the Italian GrandPrix :wink:.

Seriously though, some things to do. Since you are staying in Innsbruck, check out the schnapps store in the old town. They wouldn't let us leave until we had tried 5 different flavours.

In monaco, try to drive the gp course. But don't down shift and accelerate through the tunnel under the hotel, there are gaurds at the entrances. Also, try to drive the different routes between nice and monaco. Tight and twisty with great views.

In Nice climb to the top of Le chateau for a nice view of the city. And since you are going with your wife, wear sunglasses and scan with your eyes when you go to the beach. Although prepare yourself, because young and OLD go topless in france.
      06-16-2008, 10:58 PM   #14
imported_Captain Slow
Rep
Drives:

Between Monaco and Nice take one of the coastal roads and not the main Hwy. I think the middle one goes through the town of Eze. Well worth a stop. It's a nice old town built on top of a rock above the coast. No cars only walking. The wife might like to tour the Fragonard perfume factory which is also here. In Nice be sure and walk through the old part of town.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2008, 07:43 AM   #15
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep

absolutely outstanding guys! I'm making notes of all these suggestions.

adc, I emailed albergo lenno hotel, and they told me they have one room left, at 155Euro! ouch I'm gonna email them back and see if I can get a better rate, but if not, then I guess that will do.

I'm looking at the trip to innsbruck from munich and seeing if I should stay in the outskirts of innsbruck, or in Bolzano.

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2008, 10:21 AM   #16
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
adc, I emailed albergo lenno hotel, and they told me they have one room left, at 155Euro! ouch I'm gonna email them back and see if I can get a better rate, but if not, then I guess that will do.
Think of it this way - in every trip, you need to splurge at least once if traveling with the wife/gf. Make her feel special and cater to her needs for a day or so and she will be as responsive as your new 135i.

The Como area, with a hotel like this and a day spent taking it easy on the lake ferries and wonderful little towns around the coast will do it for you. :wink:

Quote:
I'm looking at the trip to innsbruck from munich and seeing if I should stay in the outskirts of innsbruck, or in Bolzano.
After spending a skiing vacation in Innsbruck, I'd probably go for Bolzano or Merano. It's closer to the Stelvio, which means you can get a nice long breakfast with a few espresso's before heading out to conquer the beast.

I've heard good things about the 2 Bolzano area hotels mentioned here. A good site for booking Italy and France hotels is www.venere.com. Find the hotel(s) there and then try finding reviews at www.tripadvisor.com.

And I haven't forgotten about the Nice area recommendations, I just couldn't find the book. Off the top of my hat, I'd say go a little North of Nice in the hills area, towards Vence and St. Paul-de-Vence - the latter is a must see anyway, it is absolutely picture perfect. If you can book a room in that area, you can visit it in the morning before the tourist buses arrive.

I'll re-iterate, any kind of GPS is a huge advantage - takes the stress out of navigating unknown locales. Just get any cheap Garmin Nuvi unit on sale, and if it doesn't have Euro maps preloaded send me a PM and I'll set you up with one.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2008, 11:09 AM   #17
vjordan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '09 135i cabrio space/coral

NICE HOTEL

my wife and i have stayed a number of times in this great little hotel at the end of promenade anglaise, at the very end, on the point...PRIMHOTEL SUISSE..it would be hard to do better, and the price is usually very good...great scenery..on the water,across the street.
Very close to the old city...good restaurants in area ..decent parking..can't miss...google map w/ satellite..amazing harbour..good restaurants around corner of point..the hotel next to it is even more of a luxury..also worth it..ENJOY...CIAO
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2008, 11:19 AM   #18
vjordan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '09 135i cabrio space/coral

more nice info

Register Now for FREE!
function verify_passwords(password1, password2){// do various checks, this will save people noticing mistakes on next pageif (password1.value == '' || password2.value == ''){alert('Fill out both password fields');return false;}else if (password1.value != password2.value){alert('Entered passwords do not match');return false;}else{md5hash(password1, document.forms.register.password_md5);md5hash(pass word2, document.forms.register.passwordconfirm_md5);retur n true;}return false;} Welcome to the Destination360 Forum.

You're currently a Guest of Destination360 Forums. Join the Destination360 community for free and gain access to post questions, get answers, upload content, and access many other special features. Registering is fast, simple, and absolutely free. Click here to join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration or your account login, please contact contact us. Our records show you have not yet registered to our forums. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
Birthday: Month January February March April May June July August September October November December Day 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 Agree to forum rules

Travel Forums by Destination360 > Europe > France Hotels in Nice France – where to stay User NameRemember Me?Password
France Great food and wine are just some of what France has in store. Prior to 1930, the Eiffel Tower stood as the tallest structure in the world and is the icon of Paris. Housing some of the most spectacular works of art is the Louvre with over 35,000 pieces. For more culture visit the Palace of Versailles but for outdoor activities, every July the Tour de France runs through the country.

Show Threads Show Posts Advanced Search
Go to Page...

Thread Tools vbmenu_register("threadtools"); Display Modes vbmenu_register("displaymodes");

04-16-2008, 06:46 PM #1 (permalink) annie2

Hotels in Nice France – where to stay
We four are planning a vacation in Nice, France and need details on hotels in Nice, France. We heard that ‘Nice’ is a wonderful place and has beautiful beaches, anybody was staying there in sea view hotel with budget accommodation, if so just help us to find a hotel near sea in Nice. Thanks in advance.

Registration is free!
Destination360 Travel Guides feature destinations throughout the globe.
Top Travel Destinations | Accomodations and Hotels | Maps of the World

05-02-2008, 03:49 PM #2 (permalink) Lynnie81
Jr Member

Re: Hotels in Nice France – where to stay
Theres are several beautiful hotels in Nice but i will provide you with details of a few which are close to the water as requested.

Suisse - Hotels Ocre et Azur. This is a 3star hotel which is described as follows.

The Hotel Suisse boasts a prime location, right next to Baie des Anges, offering a panoramic view of the Mediterranean. The lively downtown area is within easy reach of the hotel. Recently restored, it offers an elegant interior and cosy, welcoming rooms. Our kind staff is always available to assist you. You are welcome to visit the hotel's bar with its panoramic view of the seaside

Meridien - Nice. Also 3 stars described as follows

The hotel Meridien Nice enjoys an excellent location at the start of Promenade des Anglais, offering a panoramic view of the beautiful Baie des Anges and the sparkling blue Mediterranean Sea. The gorgeous Albert I Park is just east of the hotel, and the trendy tourist area and old town of Nice are also within walking distance.

Best Westerm - Riviera. Also 3 stars

Тhe Best Western Riviera hotel is just a short walk away from the golden Mediterranean beaches of Nice. Near the city centre, from here you can explore the famous Promenade des Anglais and all the beauties the city has to offer.

You havent mentioned when you plan to travel so i cant comment on the avaiablility of these hotels but should you need anymore information, for example, telephone numbers or room rates let me know

Yesterday, 05:10 AM #3 (permalink) alex15

Thanks Lynnie nice information.

Yesterday, 05:14 AM #4 (permalink) alex15

I would like to go there.

Sponsored Links

Display Modes Linear Mode Switch to Hybrid Mode Switch to Threaded Mode