BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-26-2011, 09:33 PM   #23
BigBoss168
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i coupe manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineM3E92 View Post
the third post from the top of this page shows the expected model life for the 1 plus other bm products.
Yeah, I read that post - just commenting that it seems strange that BMW would be axing the 6-cylinder from the 1-series when it has been such a strong seller. Maybe globally it hasn't been because the 135i is priced much closer to the 335i in other markets.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 09:50 PM   #24
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Freak View Post
^ I hear alot about BMWs having random issues with things like the air-con or power windows, tail lights etc, and not to mention the fuel pump issues in the 135i. Stuff that just doesn't happen in Jap cars.

So if i was to buy 2nd hand i would want warranty. Anyone know roughly how much extended warranty costs?
Stick to a Japanese car then, problem solved.

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 09:54 PM   #25
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 10:08 PM   #26
Bimmer_Freak
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post
Hahaha thats what i decided to do a couple months ago when i abandoned my decision to sell my Evo.

However the desire for the 135i is still burning strong and i must give in.
      01-26-2011, 10:18 PM   #27
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

Quote:
Hahaha thats what i decided to do a couple months ago when i abandoned my decision to sell my Evo.

However the desire for the 135i is still burning strong and i must give in.
Then listen a bit more to people who own BMWs. I've had BMWs of many types since 1998 and I have not experienced any problems, in or out of warranty situation.

People talk shit about things they don't know about and guys who like Japanese cars have a chip on their shoulder about european cars. Hence the gossip about warranty issues.

There are some problems with 135s .. the high pressure fuel pumps do fail a lot. And there are a high rate of issues with rear tail lights. That's about it I think. I've got a 2008 coupe that has had none of those problems but that's no guarantee you won't get one that does.

However I'm not sure buying and paying for an extended warranty is cost effective in dealing with these issues.

I'm not biased, I've owned cars of all types and makes, Euro, Japanese and Australian. They all have their good points and bad points.

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 10:42 PM   #28
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by taipan168 View Post
Yeah, I read that post - just commenting that it seems strange that BMW would be axing the 6-cylinder from the 1-series when it has been such a strong seller. Maybe globally it hasn't been because the 135i is priced much closer to the 335i in other markets.
it is a domino effect.......

M5 V10 down to TTV8
M3 V8 down to TT6
1Series and M2 (??) down to T4

all in the name of fuel efficiency BS, gone will be the sound of N/A V10 and V8 engines!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 10:44 PM   #29
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Does anyone really think that BM won't stand up for their "known issues" around N54s? I honestly believe that these, "know issues", will be covered by BM for for their reputation if nothing else.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 01:48 AM   #30
1q2w3e4r
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Rep
Drives: BMW

Yeah you have to jump up and down. Just ask any of the E46 guys with subframe/rear boot failures with standard cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 04:03 AM   #31
Bimmer_Freak
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
I had a quote last year, and off the top of my head, I think it was $1950 for 24 months extended warranty..I could be wrong..
Asked my local BMW dealer and its not quite that cheap:

2yrs extended warranty $2818
3yrs extended warranty $3151

I do feel better about buying a used 135i now that i know i can extend warranty. So i've decided i'm definitely going to try and find a used 135i, hopefully from a dealer as they may throw in some free warranty.

Just need to sell the Evo...
      01-29-2011, 04:24 AM   #32
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Asked my local BMW dealer and its not quite that cheap:

2yrs extended warranty $2818
3yrs extended warranty $3151
Ooopsss. Sorry about the miss info.
Still. $2818 for 24 months peace of mind isn't that bad.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 04:38 AM   #33
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Good luck with the sale BF, 2nd hand market can be vicious
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 07:09 AM   #34
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
^ I hear alot about BMWs having random issues with things like the air-con or power windows, tail lights etc, and not to mention the fuel pump issues in the 135i. Stuff that just doesn't happen in Jap cars.

So if i was to buy 2nd hand i would want warranty. Anyone know roughly how much extended warranty costs?
Not quite random - had all four issues you mentioned, along with the optical sensor on the steering wheel they are really known problems. My longest bimmer was a 318i, and it had quite a few problems, but the power windows failed just outside of the extended warranty (it was $1000/yr at that time when it only had 2 years warranty), and BMW paid for the part and half the labour. The air con was the transistor problem which was a simple fixed which you could do yourself as it's only a $80 part., the last was a split on the coolant tank which is probably relating something I hit .

On the other hand, all the japanese cars that either my family or I owned also had issues. Toyota Camry air con hose routed to inside the car, power doors not working, sudden loss of power (which the problem was never found), leaking through the rear windows, remote locking doesn't operate even nice to the car, and the worst of all - the car's only done 50ks and there's a cracked CV axle. Side airbag failed to deploy when there was a side impact in an accident my brother was in. <-- After this we were done with Toyotas.

My Mazda, 1.5 years ownership. Upholstery on the driver side was falling apart, and my left rear brake assembly has to be replaced three times due to warping.

My wifes Ford Fiesta (I guess that was europeon), was literally falling apart, including inside trims, door trims, while it was still under warranty with less than 2 years ownership!

BMW looked after me the best out of all of them, and I can tell there's no way toyota would paid for anything if it's outside of warranty, let alone, outside of the extended warranty - ie in my 5 year of ownership.

The only car which I had ZERO issue was my Honda CRV (apart from the design flaw of their real-time 4WD - which supposed to engage 4WD when it detect slips, ie, after it gets bogged). Three years of ownership and I had not a single problem. Only thing is that they want to do a realign of your car even you have even tyre wear, and try to change my spark plugs after every 15000km.

Look, every cars have problems. From my experience, it is definitely not worst than any other car. And if your car is still under warranty, they would even come and pick up your car, so it doesn't even waste a bit of your time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1q2w3e4r View Post
Yeah you have to jump up and down. Just ask any of the E46 guys with subframe/rear boot failures with standard cars.
Better way is to have a great relationship with your service guys . I never had to jump up and down.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 07:21 AM   #35
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
Ooopsss. Sorry about the miss info.
Still. $2818 for 24 months peace of mind isn't that bad.
Definitely worth it if BMW Australia still offers that. I would be cautious if it was just from the dealer, as I was told they stopped offering the extended warranty since they move it to 3 years.

My brother took my car and had the gear knob, hand brake, and transmission boot replace because the stitching was coming off. He was really tempted to ask for the steering wheel to be replaced too and thought he was going a bit too far.
Appreciate 0