BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-09-2017, 12:22 PM   #1
lennyf
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M240i

Thinking of dropping iphone for android......

I've been an iPhone guy forever and I'm just tired and bored with it.
iPhone X will have 3D emoji's (Who gives a f#*k)
I'm thinking Galaxy Note 8 or Google Pixel 2 XL.

Any thoughts?????
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2017, 12:34 PM   #2
BuiltnBoostedZ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 535ix

I have a galaxy S8. Love it. Pay with it anywhere. S8 and S8+ are the only phones that pay using the magnetic strip on the card reader instead of NFC. Literally works on every cc machine.

I get the "yea, that doesn't work on this system" almost every time. The beep sounds and I say, "what was that?" They are always astonished.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2017, 12:35 PM   #3
bd307
Chef
Rep
Drives: Things with wheels or no wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltnBoostedZ View Post
I have a galaxy S8. Love it. Pay with it anywhere. S8 and S8+ are the only phones that pay using the magnetic strip on the card reader instead of NFC. Literally works on every cc machine.

I get the "yea, that doesn't work on this system" almost every time. The beep sounds and I say, "what was that?" They are always astonished.
lol ya I love it when cashiers are surprised with the Samsung Pay.

Welcome. Note 8 gets my vote.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2017, 12:56 PM   #4
antych
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4CP SO

Garage List
2014 BMW M4  [10.00]
Just not Samsung. Good hardware, bad software. If you're choosing between those two, absolutely get the Pixel.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2017, 01:33 PM   #5
doogee
Major
Rep
Drives: '08 M3, '09 328xi Sport Wagon

From my previous Android experience, get a Pixel and stick with stock Android.

Especially coming from an iPhone.

I left iOS a few years ago but only lasted 2 years until I came back. Just be ready to say goodbye to reliability and smoothness.
      11-09-2017, 01:45 PM   #6
Banana Hammock
Beefcake
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogee View Post

I left iOS a few years ago but only lasted 2 years until I came back. Just be ready to say goodbye to reliability and smoothness.
Lol what?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2017, 01:46 PM   #7
Bups
Masterdebater
Rep
Drives: Toyoda Camray

Do it, I have S8+ and it's awesome. Can take pictures, send texts, make phone calls, and receive voicemails. Hasn't failed yet.
“How are Mr. Trump’s hands?” My hands are fine. You know, my hands are normal. Slightly large, actually. In fact, I buy a slightly smaller than large glove, okay? No, but I did this because everybody was saying to me, “Oh, your hands are very nice. They are normal.”
- Donald J. Trump.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2017, 01:46 PM   #8
doogee
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasghetti View Post
Lol what?
This was my experience with a Nexus 5, HTC One M8, Nexus 6 and Nexus 6P.

Blazing fast at release, but all of them turned into dogs after a year.
      11-09-2017, 01:50 PM   #9
Banana Hammock
Beefcake
Rep

Quote:
This was my experience with a a Nexus 5, HTC One M8, Nexus 6 and Nexus 6P.

Blazing fast at release, but all of them turned into dogs after a year.
I use my HTC M8 as an alarm clock and watch videos on it before going to bed. The thing has been solid. Stock ROM no mods it's been as good as it was since day 1. My HTC 10 has also been just as good. Keep in mind I keep these devices for 2 years before upgrading. Battery life on them have diminished over the years but that's expected from lithium ion batteries that has seen hundred of charge/discharge cycles.

On the flip side, my brother has been an avid iPhone user. Always has some kind of problems every time a new version of iOS is released. His latest issue involves the phone randomly forgetting hidden WiFi networks. From the research I've done, this has been an unresolved issue since September of last year.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2017, 01:57 PM   #10
doogee
Major
Rep

Quote:
I use my HTC M8 as an alarm clock and watch videos on it before going to bed. The thing has been solid. Stock ROM no mods it's been as good as it was since day 1. My HTC 10 has also been just as good. Keep in mind I keep these devices for 2 years before upgrading. Battery life on them have diminished over the years but that's expected from lithium ion batteries that has seen hundred of charge/discharge cycles.

On the flip side, my brother has been an avid iPhone user. Always has some kind of problems every time a new version of iOS is released. His latest issue involves the phone randomly forgetting hidden WiFi networks. From the research I've done, this has been an unresolved issue since September of last year.
It’s all personal preference. Both platforms have their pros and cons. I loved android when I first switched but iOS works best for me right now. Won’t be surprised if I switch again in the future who knows!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2017, 02:00 PM   #11
Lowkey F10
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

Always happens. Switch from iPhone > another phone.

Months later you’re back with iPhone for a few years then back to Samsung/etc
Appreciate 1
      11-09-2017, 02:02 PM   #12
Banana Hammock
Beefcake
Rep

Quote:
It’s all personal preference. Both platforms have their pros and cons. I loved android when I first switched but iOS works best for me right now. Won’t be surprised if I switch again in the future who knows!
Keep it fresh.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2017, 04:19 PM   #13
Faredo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Ive had Every iPhone up to the 7. I then switched to the Samsung S7 edge on release. It took about a week to get used to it but at this point I wont go back. Im no fanboy of either and never bought into itunes so i have little to lose when it comes to content.
Mods related to trouble shooting posts: Stock Turbos, MHD OTS V7 stage 2+ 93 oct, VRSF Downpipes, VRSF Relocated inlets, CTS Turbo 7" Intercooler, Tial BOV with upgraded line 5.56mm, index 12 injectors, A/T OEM Flash.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2017, 06:11 PM   #14
Reborn_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

Quote:

This is my experience with apple. iPhone is blazing fast until 2 generations later comes out, and I get the iOS forced down my throat, and after I can't stand the annoying popups anymore, against my better judgement, I 'upgrade' my iOS and now the phone is almost a brick. Just happened with the 8/X iOS release and my 6 is dogshit now. Was running ultra fast and smooth before the iOS update. Had a similar experience with my 4, but I was ok to upgrade since the hardware was so improved by the time the 6 came out. Hardware improvements from 6 to 8? Not necessary for me.

As you can tell, I don't care to have the latest and greatest when all I do is call, text, email, music stream, internet. Yet I'm forced to upgrade more often than I need because I can't do those basic functions very well once 2 generations later comes out. I'm convinced it's a scam with the way they code the new iOS.

/rant
Appreciate 1
sirdaft12202.50
      11-09-2017, 07:23 PM   #15
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

imessage and facetime... if ur. willing to give up 2 proprietary systems, it doesnt matter
      11-09-2017, 07:35 PM   #16
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

Without getting into iphone vs android, I made the switch to a LG V20 about 4 months ago and am absolutely loving it.

I really liked IOS 9, and if I'd had the option of staying on that old version of IOS I'd still be using an iPhone. I've swiped to unlock for almost 10 years now, and I could not re-learn the whole 'home to unlock' system. I can tell you I wouldn't cope with the new gesture control on the iPhone X.

Yes, apps crash more on Android, but that's generally the app, not the operating system (frankly, Bimmerpost is one of the worst).

Yes, if you keep accepting android updates, it'll do the same thing as your iPhone - be really, really slow after 2 years. BUT with android you can tell it to piss off and not tell you about any future updates - and if you don't upgrade the software, it doesn't get slower with age.

If you know what you're doing, you can even re-install an earlier version of android if you find a major upgrade makes your phone unusable.

Yes, after 2 years, your inbuilt battery will be exactly like your iPhone battery - in need of replacement.

BUT, with an Android you can shop around and find one with a removable battery, so it's $30 to fix any future battery problems.

Over the past 3 years iOS has got progressively less intuitive and harder to use; at the same time Android has been copying and keeping the best things about iOS. Android still isn't as intuitive as an iPhone 4S on original software; but either is an iPhone X.

Make the switch, lots of us have and don't regret it. As others have said above: Samsung is the closest thing you can get to an iPhone running Android. It's not actually 'pure' Android... in some ways it's better, but in many, many ways it's materially worse than a HTC, LG or Pixel phone.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2017, 07:41 PM   #17
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

My girlfriend has switched back and forth a few times, right now she has a Pixel and seems to like it, however she will probably switch back to an iphone on the next one.

Me on the other hand... I use a mac for work and most of my friends and people I talk to on a day to day basis have iphones. Having messages on my mac is the single best feature ever. Other than my browser I basically live in messages and mail. Losing that one feature alone makes it impossible for me to even consider android.

Plus I just don't care for the hassle of having to switch platforms, learn a new system, migrate data, find new android apps etc. All for what? There is no android feature that I know of that would make any of that worthwhile.

If you are not in an apple environment and just want something different than go for it. Worst case you don't like it and switch back.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2017, 07:42 PM   #18
Unknown_Car
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Few and diffrent

Quote:
Lol what?
He must be joking? Iphone reliability sucks compleatly. And i know it because i was a huge iPhone guy, now i am all about Samsung, much better in everything.
DocRace 6266 single turbo.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2017, 09:56 PM   #19
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

I've been with Android since Nexus One. Google has shit lots of bugs but I still buy their phones cause I am a sheep I got Pixel 1 XL and Pixel 2 now, not sure which one to keep yet
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2017, 10:22 PM   #20
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Everyone’s opinion is based on their anecdotal experience, so I’ll give mine.

Owned Android phones until last week when I got the iPhoneX. Android is great for 6 months, but just know you’ll rarely if ever get software update, zero support from Samsung, and it will become glitchy and slow as all holy hell.

I’ve owned the Note, Galaxy, and other assorted Android phones. If you must go away from iOS, go Pixel because you’ll at least get pure Android. The only problem with the Pixel is that it’s ugly, has a crap OLED screen from LG (just google it), and has bezels like hell.

Going to the X was a great decision for me personally. A home button literally feels like 10 year old technology after using the X for a week.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 02:35 AM   #21
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

Xperia XZ ftw, MAC/Apple sux!

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 05:29 AM   #22
3rdcoast228i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i Msport

Galaxy S8 Active, one of the biggest batteries available. Tough and still looks nice.
Appreciate 0