Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2C, VO 1M, GSA 1200

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnm View Post
he didn't do anything even remotely dangerous:
The act itself is not as important as the vehicle operator intentionally disregarding public safety.

A corporate lawyer worried about liability will view it as such. And any person on that platform with their children taking delivery of a brand new $50K car would have viewed such behavior as negligent.

Quote:
yes if you know how to drive a powerful rear wheel drive well you can actually leave a 1.5 meter long '11' black mark on the ground and do 'drifts' of .5 seconds and 10 degrees indoors and not endanger anyone (as for doing a little 180 slide on a wet parking lot please, where's the harm in that).
Sure, had the driver been Ken Block or some other similarly skilled driver, then yes, the stunt would be entertaining. But a driver of unknown ability doing that in a confined public space amongst non-consenting bystanders should not be lauded.

Last edited by HERR FSTIR; 11-30-2011 at 02:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 01:05 AM   #24
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERR FSTIR View Post
The act itself is not as important as the perception of the vehicle operator intentionally disregarding public safety.

A corporate lawyer worried about liability will view it as such. And any person on that platform with their children taking delivery of a brand new $50K car would have viewed such behavior as negligent.

Sure, had the driver been Ken Block or some other similarly skilled driver, then yes, the stunt would be entertaining. But a driver of unknown ability doing that in a confined public space amongst non-consenting bystanders should not be lauded.
Agree...
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 01:40 AM   #25
alphagamma
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2002 WRX, 2011 1-series M

There is potential for one man's behavior to affect the people after him. Not cool at all.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 02:21 AM   #26
mrow
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Quote:
he didn't do anything even remotely dangerous:
The act itself is not as important as the vehicle operator intentionally disregarding public safety.

Quote:
yes if you know how to drive a powerful rear wheel drive well you can actually leave a 1.5 meter long '11' black mark on the ground and do 'drifts' of .5 seconds and 10 degrees indoors and not endanger anyone (as for doing a little 180 slide on a wet parking lot please, where's the harm in that).

People like you are the reason a dealer in the US would shit a brick and call a lawyer had he picked this car up over here while the agent Germany just smiled.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 03:00 AM   #27
HERR FSTIR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2C, VO 1M, GSA 1200

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrow View Post
People like you are the reason a dealer in the US would shit a brick and call a lawyer had he picked this car up over here while the agent Germany just smiled.
No need to get ad hominem. I am the last person to defend our litigious culture. But I'm simply describing reality. And if BMW responds by restricting driving privileges at the Welt, as their counsel may advise, will this still be a harmless stunt?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 07:09 AM   #28
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Dangerous or not, it just bad form. I am sure the onlookers around were all thinking...what a jackass.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 08:19 AM   #29
avsbmw
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

looks like a fun time!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 08:32 AM   #30
tkbr0wn
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman S

I think Ill start pissing all over the floor and walls of the bathrooms in nice restaurants. I think it will be cool and who cares that someone has to come clean it up.

● 2015 Cayman S (Current), 2011 1M BSM #297 (Sold), 2008 135i (Sold) ●
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 08:43 AM   #31
avsbmw
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbr0wn View Post
I think Ill start pissing all over the floor and walls of the bathrooms in nice restaurants. I think it will be cool and who cares that someone has to come clean it up.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 10:39 AM   #32
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Detail View Post
More importantly, where do I get that damn t-shirt?

Those T-shirts were given out by BMW AG during the DTM weekend last June at the Welt. That is where I got mine.

Name:  DSC_0500.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  49.2 KB
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 10:59 AM   #33
bayer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Those T-shirts were given out by BMW AG during the DTM weekend last June at the Welt. That is where I got mine.

Attachment 614140
Any lead on where to buy online? I looked but didn't see much.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 12:51 PM   #34
mrow
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delrin View Post
Any lead on where to buy online? I looked but didn't see much.
+1 preferably with overnight shipping so I can wear it for my delivery?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 01:32 PM   #35
M3EST
Rear wheel drive fanatic
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 E30-1M-M4

Garage List
1987 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
To all the guys who enjoyed it thank you.

To all the people who got angry i have to say:
I m 42 years old father of 2 children.I wouldnt even try something that could hurt any people especially children.So before i did the spins i checked around first and ofcourse i asked before i did it.

Inside BMW welt there is a show with M3 GT4 some days between people. Some other days i ve seen a bike driver going up and down the stairs and doing stunts.
Outside there was a drift show with M3s from Fahrertraining.
For people who doesnt know me , i was a drift driver at the past and have followed all the Fahrertraining courses of BMW M from the beginning to the perfection level and plus the ice training in sweden and some times the Fascination Nordschleife.

So i dont think there was something wrong by having some fun in the happy day of the delivery.The 1M also has been one of the most fun cars of BMW M.With my driving experience a few spins and the sound of 1M reving in the delivery area made a lot of people happy.Wish you all could enjoy it as i did.
      11-30-2011, 01:38 PM   #36
M3EST
Rear wheel drive fanatic
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 E30-1M-M4

Garage List
1987 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrow View Post
+1 preferably with overnight shipping so I can wear it for my delivery?
It is available in the BMW Welt store.
      11-30-2011, 01:55 PM   #37
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Define danger
      11-30-2011, 02:23 PM   #38
MusclezMarinara
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: VALNCYA

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3EST View Post
To all the guys who enjoyed it thank you.

To all the people who got angry i have to say:
I m 42 years old father of 2 children.I wouldnt even try something that could hurt any people especially children.So before i did the spins i checked around first and ofcourse i asked before i did it.

Inside BMW welt there is a show with M3 GT4 some days between people. Some other days i ve seen a bike driver going up and down the stairs and doing stunts.
Outside there was a drift show with M3s from Fahrertraining.
For people who doesnt know me , i was a drift driver at the past and have followed all the Fahrertraining courses of BMW M from the beginning to the perfection level and plus the ice training in sweden and some times the Fascination Nordschleife.

So i dont think there was something wrong by having some fun in the happy day of the delivery.The 1M also has been one of the most fun cars of BMW M.With my driving experience a few spins and the sound of 1M reving in the delivery area made a lot of people happy.Wish you all could enjoy it as i did.

ALL PLANNED & TRAINED BMW ALLOWED > " Some other days i ve seen a bike driver going up and down the stairs and doing stunts. "

And id imagine you were on a closed course with all those " Fahrertraining courses of BMW M and ice training in sweden and some times the Fascination Nordschleife " Right!? think before you do anything can happen if you loose control no matter how careful you are. You could of looked around but whos to say as you begin your " joyful burnout " a child runs outside away from their parent you dont see them and well needless to say there goes your lovely joy ride.

JUST SAYIN'
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 02:59 PM   #39
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Excerpts from the 2011 Formula One Sporting Regulations (FIA):

"30.13 At no time may a car be driven unnecessarily slowly, erratically or in a manner which could be deemed potentially dangerous to other drivers or any other person. This will apply whether any such car is being driven on the track, the pit entry or the pit lane.
[...]"

"40.5 No car may be driven unnecessarily slowly, erratically or in a manner which could be deemed potentially dangerous to other drivers or any other person at any time whilst the safety car is deployed. This will apply whether any such car is being driven on the track, the pit entry or the pit lane."

Those are rules applicable to premium racing pros. Any idea why?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 03:04 PM   #40
tkbr0wn
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Excerpts from the 2011 Formula One Sporting Regulations (FIA):

"30.13 At no time may a car be driven unnecessarily slowly, erratically or in a manner which could be deemed potentially dangerous to other drivers or any other person. This will apply whether any such car is being driven on the track, the pit entry or the pit lane.
[...]"

"40.5 No car may be driven unnecessarily slowly, erratically or in a manner which could be deemed potentially dangerous to other drivers or any other person at any time whilst the safety car is deployed. This will apply whether any such car is being driven on the track, the pit entry or the pit lane."

Those are rules applicable to premium racing pros. Any idea why?

Haha, Funny story I had a guy at AutoX say that he chose a 2012 135i with DCT over the 2011 1 Series M Coupe because he considered himself to be more Formula 1 than Nascar.

I guess I should've asked him which Formula 1 car had a sunroof, power seats and Nav?

Anyway, the point is, you need to look up NASCAR rules rather than Formula 1 Rules. I think Drifiting and Donuts are mandatory there.

● 2015 Cayman S (Current), 2011 1M BSM #297 (Sold), 2008 135i (Sold) ●
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 03:25 PM   #41
violinfather
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
To all the posters getting all "Pacific BMW" on the original poster:

Will you people chill? Look at the videos: he didn't do anything even remotely dangerous: yes if you know how to drive a powerful rear wheel drive well you can actually leave a 1.5 meter long '11' black mark on the ground and do 'drifts' of .5 seconds and 10 degrees indoors and not endanger anyone (as for doing a little 180 slide on a wet parking lot please, where's the harm in that).

There was cheekiness (or irony if you want) in the title of his post of course, but that was the whole point! Who wouldn't like to claim that they 'drifted' inside the welt?
To all the stuffed shirts please relax. Great video made me LMAO! Dangerous I think not. Living on the edge...probably for Welt delivery.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 04:06 PM   #42
Redadair
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M #293 - 88 E30 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by violinfather View Post
To all the stuffed shirts please relax. Great video made me LMAO! Dangerous I think not. Living on the edge...probably for Welt delivery.
Stuffed Shirts?

Let me list a few points here.

At 42 one shouldn't act like a Child anymore.

Doing something Stupid like this effects us all. I have done more than one ED. I would like to continue to be allowed to do Victory Laps at the Welt.

The first time to drive your car isn't the time to try burn outs inside a building. Any Idiot can dump the clutch and burn rubber. But doing this inside the BMW Welt It's kind of like a turd in the punch bowl at a party, not cool.

Respect! BMW offers up a very Classy environment for us to pick up our cars, including an upscale lounge area with food and drink. It's not the neighborhood bar.

A little bit of common sense goes a long way to earn respect.

For those who find this Funny and or Cool, all I can say is Really!
August 8th ED (#293 of 739 or 740)
88 E30 M3 100% OEM 73K Miles
02 E39 M5 Le Mans Blue 50K Miles
06 E46 M3 ZCP 58K Miles
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 05:10 PM   #43
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:

having been there and ( not) done that... I 100 percent agree. that area is not very wide.... and with . lotsa expensive cars around... there was potential for major damage to another brand new BMW or the people in the area. Glad nothing happened.. of course it wasn't in the US... but had something ocurred it would have been major issue that could have gotten messy. the drifting/donut outside was much less reckless.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 05:41 PM   #44
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redadair View Post
Stuffed Shirts?

Let me list a few points here.

At 42 one shouldn't act like a Child anymore.

Doing something Stupid like this effects us all. I have done more than one ED. I would like to continue to be allowed to do Victory Laps at the Welt.

The first time to drive your car isn't the time to try burn outs inside a building. Any Idiot can dump the clutch and burn rubber. But doing this inside the BMW Welt It's kind of like a turd in the punch bowl at a party, not cool.

Respect! BMW offers up a very Classy environment for us to pick up our cars, including an upscale lounge area with food and drink. It's not the neighborhood bar.

I am sure that someone did have to spend some time cleaning up or repainting the floor, as well.

The OP did ask permission... so maybe the turd in the punchbowl is a little of a reach..
Appreciate 0