BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-20-2013, 01:32 PM   #1
italiantank26
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Sources for heat shield replacement

Hey guys, I'm looking to replace my injen heat shield since it has deteriorated quite substantially and is worthless at this point. It's been installed for 3 something years if anyone is interested on what the life expectancy of the product might look like. Anyways, did some quick research and saw that aFe has a filter/shield combo but it looks like it would not fit with the injen.

I could re-order another injen heat shield, but I need to find a source that sells it separately from the filter. I was wondering first if anyone on this forum has experience with other heat-shield products or if there may even be a way to devise my own with the right tools.

It's been a couple years since I've posted on this forum. To give you all a little update on my car, I have a 2008 SGM 128i, automatic. Mods are BMW performance exhaust, Injen intake, BMS powerbox, splitters from foxomar (he was selling them a couple years back, dk if he still is), performance spoiler that I bought off eBay and painted SGM to match my car, and 18' Beyron wheels. Have almost 80,000 miles on the beast and it's still running strong. Love this car.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 02:40 PM   #2
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Considered the BMW one? I would suspect it would last as long as the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 03:00 PM   #3
631twentyeighteye
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

my injen has rusted in less than the year it's been installed, the heat shield is honestly garbage. I'll probably just sand it down and paint it myself to prevent it from further rusting.
      10-21-2013, 05:56 PM   #4
italiantank26
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
Considered the BMW one? I would suspect it would last as long as the car.
Well then that would contradict the purpose of having an aftermarket intake now wouldn't it... thanks for the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 631twentyeighteye View Post
my injen has rusted in less than the year it's been installed, the heat shield is honestly garbage. I'll probably just sand it down and paint it myself to prevent it from further rusting.
I agree, it is garbage and I even question how effective the overall design is at actually blocking some of the heat. If you do end up sanding it and painting, let me know how it goes/look because If I cannot find a replacement, I might go this route too.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 07:38 PM   #5
631twentyeighteye
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

will do! Maybe that's something i'll do on my time off one of these weekends.
      10-22-2013, 09:56 PM   #6
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by italiantank26 View Post
Well then that would contradict the purpose of having an aftermarket intake now wouldn't it... thanks for the input.
BMW makes an upgraded intake for the car.
      10-23-2013, 11:31 AM   #7
italiantank26
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
BMW makes an upgraded intake for the car.
From your original response I thought you were implying that I should revert back to stock intake. Anyways, I'm aware of BMW's upgraded intake and chose not to buy it because at the time when I was looking, the Injen intake was significantly cheaper. Now the price on the BMW intake has gone down, but still unsure if I'm willing to spend money to purchase a performance part that provides speculative gains and sounds similar to the intake I already have.

And yes, I'm aware that the injen intake likely does not add much difference to the engine's performance, but I gotta hand it to them, they do make a nice sounding product.
Appreciate 1
      10-23-2013, 12:06 PM   #8
tuphdc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 BMW 128i 6MT Sport Pkg

Have you tried contacting injen directly? If they stand by their product I'm sure they'll just send you out a new one at minimal cost.

Otherwise, if it's possible, sand it down and slap some oven paint on it
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 03:29 PM   #9
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by italiantank26 View Post
From your original response I thought you were implying that I should revert back to stock intake. Anyways, I'm aware of BMW's upgraded intake and chose not to buy it because at the time when I was looking, the Injen intake was significantly cheaper. Now the price on the BMW intake has gone down, but still unsure if I'm willing to spend money to purchase a performance part that provides speculative gains and sounds similar to the intake I already have.

And yes, I'm aware that the injen intake likely does not add much difference to the engine's performance, but I gotta hand it to them, they do make a nice sounding product.
Cheapness often has its own rewards as you discovered.

None of the intakes make power, but the BMW version at least has the bonus feature of not losing power from heat soak. If it had similar sound to your Injen, I would consider it a significant upgrade as you would be up on usable power while retaining stock build quality.