BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-21-2010, 05:10 PM   #1
jksgoh
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2008 E82 125i  [0.00]
ipod sounds crap + wont turn off

hey guys, i know the ipod has been discussed a few times but couldnt find the answers to a couple of probs i have.
well i just received one of those Y cables. picked it up from ebay. they claim it charges all iphones/ipods (12V and 5V versions). plugged it in and it charges fine which is great. so my probs are:
a) why does the ipod sound so crap???? im not much of a audiophile (or whatever they are called) but i could tell the diff between ipod and CD (or radio for that matter) straight away. sounds a lot "flatter"??? is there anything i can do about this??? im ripping the music at 192kbps AAC. Im usually not that anal over the quality as long as it sounds half decent, but this sounded pretty crap.
b) the ipod charges straight away when you plug it in, and will keep charging (and stay on) when it is plugged in even when the car is off. Now this is a bit retarded. Will this slowly drain my car battery and should i be unplugging it every time?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 05:23 PM   #2
Jude Starr
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 123d hatch & X1 23D

Not sure about your first problem - I have been using my ipod in my 120i loan car for a couple of weeks now, and the sound is fine. I do find you notice the difference between older music that was originally recorded on analogue equipment and newer digitally recorded stuff, but that is not exclusive to ipod. And even the older stuff still sounds good on my ipod.

I would be interested to know about your second issue though. I had noticed that the ipod stays on while plugged into the car. While I severely doubt it would draw enough power to drain the car battery, I would like to know if it could do damage to the ipod.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 05:45 PM   #3
BMWRX
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 CP

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
Your problem is that you have an ebay iPod cable. They are crud. I had one and soon learned that you need a genuine cable for the iPod to work and sound properly in our cars. You can get genuine ones off ebay from the UK - they cost about $75 (a far way cheaper than buying them from Australian dealers at over $150).
      07-21-2010, 05:49 PM   #4
jksgoh
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 E82 125i  [0.00]
damn well thats $30 down the drain. do the genuine ones turn off the ipod after the car has turned off?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 05:50 PM   #5
AW123d
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 123d

The iPod does not draw enough power to discharge your car battery in any normal timespan.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 06:09 PM   #6
BMWRX
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jksgoh View Post
damn well thats $30 down the drain. do the genuine ones turn off the ipod after the car has turned off?
Mine turns off when the car turns off. I'll PM you the ebay seller I got mine from.
      07-21-2010, 06:37 PM   #7
jksgoh
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 E82 125i  [0.00]
thanks for that... never buying another cheap chinese knock off!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 08:00 PM   #8
MickyD
(Damned or Belated)
Rep
Drives: Le Mans Blue 120D M Manual

even the genuine y-cable sounds crap IMHO. I gave up on it very quickly and just use a USB key full of music now, sounds infinitely better. The Y cable uses the headphone socket to transmit the audio, whereas using a USB key the headunit is decoding the mp3's itself. You wouldn't think it would make a big difference, but it does.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 11:02 PM   #9
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickyD View Post
even the genuine y-cable sounds crap IMHO. I gave up on it very quickly and just use a USB key full of music now, sounds infinitely better. The Y cable uses the headphone socket to transmit the audio, whereas using a USB key the headunit is decoding the mp3's itself. You wouldn't think it would make a big difference, but it does.
+1. I just load up a USB with music and leave it plugged in the USB socket. No need to worry about charging your iPod or whether you need to take it with you when you leave the car.

Also, no need to spend 70 bucks on a cable.

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 11:44 PM   #10
ncutinelli
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 125i LMB

Garage List
+1 the genuine y cable is crap .... the sound changes / crackles if you move the armrest up and down .....
      07-21-2010, 11:49 PM   #11
BMWRX
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncutinelli View Post
+1 the genuine y cable is crap .... the sound changes / crackles if you move the armrest up and down .....
I've never had this problem. It sounds like your jack is loose. Besides, how often are you moving the armrest up and down when driving?
      07-21-2010, 11:52 PM   #12
raisemyrent
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 428i xD GC

mmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude Starr View Post
Not sure about your first problem - I have been using my ipod in my 120i loan car for a couple of weeks now, and the sound is fine. I do find you notice the difference between older music that was originally recorded on analogue equipment and newer digitally recorded stuff, but that is not exclusive to ipod. And even the older stuff still sounds good on my ipod.

I would be interested to know about your second issue though. I had noticed that the ipod stays on while plugged into the car. While I severely doubt it would draw enough power to drain the car battery, I would like to know if it could do damage to the ipod.
disagree... I agree with the OP and experience the exact same 2 problems... mine is original, I had them throw it in because I couldn't believe that spending $1,500 for the premium sound didn't include the bloody y-cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by jksgoh View Post
No.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeef Beef View Post
+1. I just load up a USB with music and leave it plugged in the USB socket. No need to worry about charging your iPod or whether you need to take it with you when you leave the car.

Also, no need to spend 70 bucks on a cable.
Thanks, will do. I have a USB for my drumset that I never use, and good thing the dealer paid for my cable (though nothing is free, really).

p.s. the original DOES crackle if you touch it when it is plugged in, especially when it is -40 C/F outside
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 02:09 AM   #13
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

As mentioned above, the Y cable just delivers an analogue signal to the head unit. In my opinion, the sound out of many ipods, particularly the original 20/30/40/80/160GB hard-drive type is very sub standard, particularly if fed into a low impedance output. Attenuates signal strength at loud notes and has shocking low frequency output. Mind you my newer 16GB Nano is much better, but not a patch on something like an iRiver.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 04:21 AM   #14
AussieRacer
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Sound out of my iPod Nano via the BMW cable is fine. Not CD quality, but on par with my old 120i where I had 256kbps MP3s burned on a CD playing on a Hi-Fi Pro system.

Regarding turning off, please remember guys that lots of things are powered/kept awake whilst the ECU is running. Need to have the car off with no activity (eg. opening doors) for quite a few minutes before the ECU sleeps. For those with autos, when the P light finally extinguishes the car moves into a proper sleep mode.
      07-22-2010, 07:37 AM   #15
SimonB
135 to 335 M Sport to X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 30d, optioned up!

Sound out of my 4GB Nano is absolutely fine. I'd challenge anyone to pick that it's not a CD. Volume goes up and it sounds great. So, don't know what's wrong with you guys' ones, but I am happy.