BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-18-2011, 07:53 PM   #23
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMRWheels View Post
With a 8.5 +45's coming in and 9.5 +50's available, 225/255 at stock height would be perfectly fine.

-Charles@VMRWheels

But... what about 225/255's on stock 18" wheels???
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 06:14 PM   #24
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
With the 225/255 setup wouldn't you have more sidewall flex over a RSC (run flat tire - in the 215/245 size)? This is my main concern. I really do not want to loose ANY steering response with my 135i.

The 225/255 setup seems very temping though.

Also... my local tire dealer here in Germany looked up in a book the max size tires you can mount on wheel widths and size. For the OE 18' M-wheels (7.5" & 8.5"s ) he told me that 225's and 245's are the biggest tire I could safely put on the wheel. That is also what TUV says too. But... I do not have to worry about TUV since I have US tags thru the Army.

Comments?
Dackel
Looking at the datasheet for the Conti DW: http://www.conti-online.com/generato...tasheet_en.pdf

The approved rim width for a 225/40-18 tyre is 7.5 to 9.0" and the approved rim width for a 255/35-18 tyre is 8.5 to 10.0".
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 11:13 PM   #25
dlong82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3CX

To the original question; is there a down side of the larger sizes? Yes, there are disadvantages. There are also advantages. The issue is, are the disadvantages significant. I have not seen evidence that would indicate one way or the other for the sizes mentioned. As the section width of the tire exceeds the rim width, there is more lateral flex and you need to plan for more clearance to struts and fenders. As the tire width increases in general, there is more of a tendency for the tire to track, e.g., toward the raising side of ridges, as in truck ruts. Potential disadvantages. As the tire size increase, the contact patch gets larger; although at a decreasing rate. An advantage.

Also note that not all tires measurement are the same. A stock Bridgestone RFT has a rounded shoulder and relative narrow contact patch compared, for example, to a Yokohama S.Drive of the same size. I think Gill said the same of the Hankook.

I have seen many autocross and road race cars go for the largest tire for the specified rim width to maximize the contact patch. I have seen the "hot shoe" take the day on narrower tires. In race conditions, the contact patch usually wins. My observations.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 09:40 PM   #26
old1
yield to pedestrians
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver View Post
I kind of feel the original point never got discussed fully here as the thread got hijacked by a question about a different tire size. To repeat, the car will have stock wheels & suspension.
I don't know if you've already pulled the trigger on your purchase, but if you are thinking about going with non-RFT's and keeping the stock suspension, I think you will be disappointed with the high speed lateral instability and slop of that combination. I know I was.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 08:58 AM   #27
jsublime
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW X3 28i  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by old1 View Post
I don't know if you've already pulled the trigger on your purchase, but if you are thinking about going with non-RFT's and keeping the stock suspension, I think you will be disappointed with the high speed lateral instability and slop of that combination. I know I was.
Which tires were you disappointed with?
      04-05-2011, 07:00 PM   #28
Yogijet
Captain
British Virgin Islands
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i, Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsublime View Post
Which tires were you disappointed with?
Based on my experience in a 335i, I think he's referring to the slop in the stock suspension that suddenly shows up when you move to non-RFTs.

BMW Performance Exhaust, Michelin Pilot Supersports F-225/40, R-255/35, BMW Performance Suspension, BMW Performance black kidneys, Quaife LSD, M3 rear sub-f bushings, M3 front control arm, rear guide rod and rear upper link kits, BMW Performance cross-drilled/slotted rotors, AFE Cold Air Intake.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 03:06 AM   #29
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by old1 View Post

I agree with this statement too. IF you are gonna keep the stock suspension - they stick with run flat tires in the OE size. The steering response is very good with the run flats.

I am still happy I went with Michelin PS3's. But the steering response isn't as good as with the Dunlap run flats the car came with. The PS3's aren't that bad - but not as sharp in steering as the OEM run flats. But the better ride is really nice and the overall perfoamace is very high. Plus I plan on installing a //M3 suspension bits this year.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 08:48 AM   #30
ND40oz
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I agree with this statement too. IF you are gonna keep the stock suspension - they stick with run flat tires in the OE size. The steering response is very good with the run flats.

I am still happy I went with Michelin PS3's. But the steering response isn't as good as with the Dunlap run flats the car came with. The PS3's aren't that bad - but not as sharp in steering as the OEM run flats. But the better ride is really nice and the overall perfoamace is very high. Plus I plan on installing a //M3 suspension bits this year.

Dackel
What tire pressures are you running Dackel? Euro PS3s are US SuperSports, is that right?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 06:26 PM   #31
burger16b
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Hate to thread jack, but if you lower your car will 225/40-18,255/35-18 fit with out modifications? I want to go with H&R super sport springs. should I keep the stock sizes?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 08:52 AM   #32
135CHRIS
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135I

NICE
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 11:47 AM   #33
top1usa
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09' 135i Cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Goose View Post
Why does your site tell me that the 255 Hankook V12's may require fender modification?
I switched over to NRFT's with Hankook V12's 225/35, 255/30 18's Thanks to Gil@Tirerack. Tires came as promised! There were some in availability issues with V12's from their warehouse but quickly Gil contacted me and took care of it for me. Great experience overall....A+++!

I was really impressed with these tires. I made the right choice...
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 11:53 AM   #34
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
What tire pressures are you running Dackel? Euro PS3s are US SuperSports, is that right?
For now I am running the same pressures I ran with my OE runflats: 2.3 bar up front and 2.8 bar in back. That is 34/41 psi.

The car seems to ride nice like that. Plus I do so much high speed driving (over 100 mph) that I like the way the car feels at speed with higher tire pressure. I was surpised my tire shop also used the same pressure when I picked up the car.

Here are some pics of my PS3's. I don't know what they are called back in teh states. But over here Michelin does make another even more high dollar/euro tire called the PSS: Pilot Super Sports. Maybe you can tell by the tread pattern. ?

Dackel
Attached Images

Last edited by Dackelone; 04-17-2011 at 11:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 09:41 PM   #35
Jaguar66
M Power
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: '09 ///M-Sport 135i

I have often wondered if the odometer is affected by larger diameter tires. As it does the speedometer. With 225/255s you may record less mileage, and therefore extend the warranty a small amount.
      04-18-2011, 07:33 AM   #36
ZIPNBYE
Let's save military ranks for those who earn it!
Canada
Rep
Drives: ...on the Ragged Edge

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMason View Post
I have often wondered if the odometer is affected by larger diameter tires. As it does the speedometer. With 225/255s you may record less mileage, and therefore extend the warranty a small amount.
Actually, I found, via comparison with GPS, that the speedometer and odometer read optimistic (ie: fast) on the oem tire size... Going to 255 in the rear brought it to near perfect...so no more excess speed shown on the speedo and no more odometer clicking away too fast for the mileage.
2011 BMW 1-series M Coupe (#205/220) -- Valencia Orange (sold)
2009 BMW 135i M-Sport Coupe -- Space Grey (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 04:05 PM   #37
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMason View Post

You might remember I had my car coded with the M3 digital speedo ("v = kph) that reads true vehicle speed. I have checked it against my GPS and the M3 speedo is dead accurate. The car's speedo reads high by about 3 or 4%.

After I installed my Michelin PS3's in 225/255's I notice my digital speedo now read slightly slower, by about less than 1 kph. That is not something someone would notice if you ask me.

For instance before when I would drive at 100 kph looking at my M3 speedo... the car's speedo would be reading about 104 kph and my GPS would also read 100 kph. Now after the new tires my speedo will read 103 kph and my digital speedo will read 99 kph while my GPS reads 100 kph. Again not somthing to get all worried about.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 04:34 PM   #38
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
Euro PS3s are US SuperSports, is that right?
No, they are different tires.

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 05:22 AM   #39
Alpha Trion
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135 Convertible

after talking to the boys in service (who are honest and i know well) they say that putting on the wider tyres on the fronts stress the PSteer and even causes issues with the ABS.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 01:16 PM   #40
royrathbun
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

I had purchased 225/255 Michelin PS2s, based on advice from Gill's FAQ post, to install in my OEM 313 rims, but no one in Stuttgart, DEU, will install the tires on the stock rims. Does anyone else have experience with mounting 225s on 7.5 and 255s on 8.5s?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 04:29 PM   #41
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep
Drives: the ladies crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlong82 View Post
As the tire size increase, the contact patch gets larger; although at a decreasing rate. An advantage.
to clarify, the area of contact patch is not affected by tire size. area of contact patch is a factor of tire pressure. a tire inflated to 40psi on a wheel supporting 800 pounds of vehicle weight will result in a contact patch of 20 square inches (40 pounds per square inch x 20 square inches = 800 pounds total supported weight). This will vary slightly based on the stiffness of the specific tire you're using, but not by size. increases in tire width DO affect the SHAPE of this contact patch, however, which can be a significant improvement in mechanical grip and other vehicle dynamics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by royrathbun View Post
I had purchased 225/255 Michelin PS2s, based on advice from Gill's FAQ post, to install in my OEM 313 rims, but no one in Stuttgart, DEU, will install the tires on the stock rims. Does anyone else have experience with mounting 225s on 7.5 and 255s on 8.5s?
i don't know what to say... the wheels are within the specs of the tire... it's a question of whether the tires are within the published or allowable specs for the wheel/vehicle. here in the states there's no problem mounting whatever tire you want (often regardless of whether it be a good or bad choice haha)
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 03:23 AM   #42
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourtailpipes View Post
to clarify, the area of contact patch is not affected by tire size. area of contact patch is a factor of tire pressure. a tire inflated to 40psi on a wheel supporting 800 pounds of vehicle weight will result in a contact patch of 20 square inches (40 pounds per square inch x 20 square inches = 800 pounds total supported weight). This will vary slightly based on the stiffness of the specific tire you're using, but not by size. increases in tire width DO affect the SHAPE of this contact patch, however, which can be a significant improvement in mechanical grip and other vehicle dynamics.
What you wrote makes sense at parking speeds, but you are neglecting the stiffness of the steel belt and the centrifugal forces of a rotating tire. At high speed, wider tyres give larger contact area and more grip. If not, can you explain why track cars use wider rubber?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 05:37 AM   #43
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by royrathbun

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourtailpipes View Post

i don't know what to say... the wheels are within the specs of the tire... it's a question of whether the tires are within the published or allowable specs for the wheel/vehicle. here in the states there's no problem mounting whatever tire you want (often regardless of whether it be a good or bad choice haha)

royrathbun - The problem is that for the German TUV they say the max size tire you can mount on the rear 8.5 inch wide wheels is a 245 - when they look up the info in their tire/wheel books. My tire shop also pointed this out. But I also told them I do not have to go thru TUV since I am in the Army (with German cover plates and all). Then they were Ok with doing it. It is only 10mm's anyway. I would tell your tire shop what you want to do. I would go to a shop that is near a US Army base and I bet they are more willing to do this or have done this for us Ami customers.

I used ReifenWagoner (tire chain) - IF that helps you at all.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 10:35 AM   #44
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep
Drives: the ladies crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_01 View Post
What you wrote makes sense at parking speeds, but you are neglecting the stiffness of the steel belt and the centrifugal forces of a rotating tire. At high speed, wider tyres give larger contact area and more grip. If not, can you explain why track cars use wider rubber?
the variables you mention do come into play (specifically the stiffness of the sidewalls and contact area, as well as the weight of the tire, and many others, like the wheel/tire width differential, tension in the sidewalls, shoulder profile, tread pattern etc.), but for the purposes of keeping this discussion somewhat simplistic, the biggest advantages in selecting a wider tire size come from changing the shape of the contact patch. a wider contact patch creates increased lateral mechanical grip and greater lateral stability. this is why camber adjustments can be so important... that's a direct adjustment of the shape of the contact patch of your tires when laterally loaded. this is conceptually similar to why you see drag racers using tall tires... this creates a "long" contact patch, which is most advantageous in fore/aft acceleration and deceleration forces (also a taller sidewall helps with deformation, but thats another discussion).
Appreciate 0