BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-08-2011, 10:04 AM   #1
laotzu
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Question Wet Feet?

Driving around in sandals last night on a humid Atlanta evening I had the pleasure of having a 270 degree onramp all to myself. At the peak of the lateral gravitational force I felt cold water (maybe an ounce) splash all over my feet from where the plastic trim meets the carpet on the right.

Is this just condensation? It didn't have a noticeable smell and it was quite cold. Could this be an indication of something being wrong?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 10:19 AM   #2
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by laotzu View Post
Driving around in sandals last night on a humid Atlanta evening I had the pleasure of having a 270 degree onramp all to myself. At the peak of the lateral gravitational force I felt cold water (maybe an ounce) splash all over my feet from where the plastic trim meets the carpet on the right.

Is this just condensation? It didn't have a noticeable smell and it was quite cold. Could this be an indication of something being wrong?
It is infact water that accumulates while the ac is on... it usually drains out almost as fast as it is produced, so you may have a small obstruction in the drain...<<<that is just a guess mind you, for all we know it is normal accumulation)

as a test start the car and put the ac on high. park the car on a clean piece of road.. in a moment or two you should see the water drip out the bottom of the car. it will mostly be on the passanger side behind the front wheel towards the center of the car. if you get a puddle, all would be well.
      07-08-2011, 11:58 AM   #3
laotzu
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveHard View Post
It is infact water that accumulates while the ac is on... it usually drains out almost as fast as it is produced, so you may have a small obstruction in the drain...<<<that is just a guess mind you, for all we know it is normal accumulation)

as a test start the car and put the ac on high. park the car on a clean piece of road.. in a moment or two you should see the water drip out the bottom of the car. it will mostly be on the passanger side behind the front wheel towards the center of the car. if you get a puddle, all would be well.
That sounds pretty logical. I'll look under the car next time I'm at home.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 10:14 PM   #4
Steve_M
Rep
Drives: 2009 135I SGM M Sport, Premium

Yeah, I got squirted with water on my ankle from the same place during a hard turn at Barber at the last DE I did. Hot and humid, running the A/C through the grid. Kinda startled me when it happened, but then I figured out what it was.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 01:18 AM   #5
Kamal
Indian Stig
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 540i M, '11 Ducati M796

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [7.56]
2011 BMW 328i  [8.00]
Hey guys there's a TSB (SI-B64-05-09) out for this... can't find the .PDF but here's the info:

Quote:
Vehicle: 2008 BMW 1 Series
Nature of Defect: EQUIPMENT:ELECTRICAL:AIR CONDITIONER
Bulletin Number: SI-B64-05-09
Bulletin Date: Sep 2009
Summary:
BMW: WATER LEAKS INTO EITHER THE DRIVER'S SIDE OR PASSENGER'S SIDE FOOTWELL DURING FAST CORNERING. INSUFFICIENT SEALING AT THE POINT OF CONTACT BETWEEN THE AIR CONDITIONING SYSTEM AND THE CONDENSATION DRAIN HOSE. ( NHTSA ITEM NUMBER - 10031544 )

2008 E82 N54 || Stage 2 -------- Gone to a good home.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 07:14 AM   #6
m_thompson
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M-Sport 128i, 328xi, 3.0CS

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
1972 3.0CS  [10.00]
I got water on the passenger side floor during some spirited driving. I told the service rep at the dealer about it, but since I could not demonstrate the problem they would not fix it. The check and repair involves removing the transmission so I can understand their reluctance to work on the issue unless it is really flooding the floor.
      07-21-2011, 01:47 PM   #7
takrdown
Other car was a submarine
Rep
Drives: i4M50 (waiting), 2013 R56 JCW

Just so you have a second place to look…I had this same exact thing happen to me a couple of years ago.

Turns out it wasn’t the TSB issue though…the dealer found that because I was parking my car in a high pollen area outside the lines that drain the sunroof and front windshield area to the underside of the car were getting clogged. They snaked them out and I haven’t had the problem sense.

I would go with the TSB issue first though. That’s what happened to my Acura and is the more likely scenario.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 02:04 PM   #8
VividRacingSale
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 Coupe

Your car should not be be spitting on you... Wet carpet can lead to mildew. Get this checked ASAP!
Appreciate 0