BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-20-2009, 09:59 AM   #1
strike4A
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i LCI Tanzanite Blue II

Standard HiFi speakers

Hi everyone, first post here...

I have the HiFi system installed in my car and I'm shortly about to start upgrading. I plan to replace the amplifier with an Alpine PDX-5 and install Earthquake SWS-8 subs under the front seats and also Focal 100 KRS component speakers up front.

I am not too bothered about the rear speakers and was going to leave them in and connect them up to the PDX-5 however I've just realised these OEM speakers are 2 ohm rated and the PDX-5 is only 2 ohms stable on the subwoofer channel and not channels 1-4.

Is there any serious risk of damaging the PDX-5 if I connect the OEM speakers or should I replace them as well?

Last edited by strike4A; 04-20-2009 at 10:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2009, 02:55 PM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by strike4A View Post
Hi everyone, first post here...

I have the HiFi system installed in my car and I'm shortly about to start upgrading. I plan to replace the amplifier with an Alpine PDX-5 and install Earthquake SWS-8 subs under the front seats and also Focal 100 KRS component speakers up front.

I am not too bothered about the rear speakers and was going to leave them in and connect them up to the PDX-5 however I've just realised these OEM speakers are 2 ohm rated and the PDX-5 is only 2 ohms stable on the subwoofer channel and not channels 1-4.

Is there any serious risk of damaging the PDX-5 if I connect the OEM speakers or should I replace them as well?
The PDX-5 -and all PDX amps- are stable at 2 ohms at all their channels; I called Alpine personally to clarify their own tech specs and they confirmed it.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2009, 03:45 PM   #3
GtiGyver
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 Space Grey E90 328i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
The PDX-5 -and all PDX amps- are stable at 2 ohms at all their channels; I called Alpine personally to clarify their own tech specs and they confirmed it.
I can confirm this too. I called them and I'm actually running a similar setup with 2ohms on all 5 channels.

In fact, one of my subs shorted out and I didn't notice, it was only when I would crack up the volume that the amp would go into short-circuit protection.
I measured the resistance on the sub channel and it was only 1 ohm! (The OEM wiring adds some resistance to whatever setup you have)
Appreciate 0