BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-28-2015, 03:37 PM   #1
Ubelmort
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i M Sports Package

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2 kids with a 135i convertible

So who here has 2 kids roughly between 1 and 5 yrs of age that has a 1 Series? Just wondering what type of complications you have discovered or does it work just right?

I'm about to purchase a 135i with the M Sports package and I love it so far, been driving 3 series for the last 9 years so I'm excited for the new one. My wife has a Crosstour so for family long trips that is covered.

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 04:33 PM   #2
SD_E88
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12' 135i E88 Black

Well... I have 1 kid and he usually has a friend with him. So far everything has worked out great. He's only 8 and under 80lbs so I still make him sit in a booster. With or without booster he fits great back there, as do his buddies. They love the convertible. I do miss having the 4 doors from time to time (had a 12' 328i for the past few years) but the seats fold easily on the 135 and he doesn't need me to help him out.

I could see reaching into the back seat to place a 1yr old into a car seat as a pain in the a$$ after a while... but when they can get in and out themselves, it's no problem at all. Wife has a 4 door for family trips and what not.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 07:44 PM   #3
Tuxedo
Bowties r cool ▶:◀
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09' 128i MT e88, 24'G05 X5 50e

Garage List
Not our primary car mind you but 4 in our family and summer drives tool'n I drive and wife on passenger seat teens in the rear. For 30mins drives, ladies in the front and I sit in the back with someone. Shorter the driver the more comfortable the rest of the car. 4 adults the top has to be down to shoe horn everyone in but same rules ladies in the front and gents in the rear.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 09:22 PM   #4
rhodesman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E88 135i

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [10.00]
I recently sold my SUV and am primary driving my 1-series (very similar to yours) with two kids (3 & 5). I ended up dropping the huge clunky car seats that were in the SUV for lighter more "sporty" seats that fit them and the car much better.

I found them on Amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So far the first seat came in today (ordered two and one came today with the other arriving tomorrow?? makes no sense to me) and so far, my son (3) loves it. it fits him really well and even though the seat uses the latch system, it still uses the car's seat-belt as the main restraint. But the beauty is this car seat moves the shoulder belt to right above his right shoulder (for rear-passenger side position) and holds him snugly in the seat.

I had to remove the rear head rests to get the seat to fit properly with the approved recline of the rear but once installed I could get the head rest to click into the first latch. As my son grows and I have to move the his head restraint up, the carseat will cover the roll-bars so the head-rest won't be necessary after that.

I have attached an image of my test fitting the seat with him in the car. Hope that helps.

#2 Arrives tomorrow, I'll report back how well that fits with this one next to it
Attached Images

Mods: JB4, Trebila Custom tune, FBO, Fuel-It Stg2 LPFP, Berk Street Performance w/ Berk Resonated Midpipes, & lots of little body/OEM+ mods
Appreciate 2
      04-28-2015, 09:38 PM   #5
edisapimp
Civil Rights Activist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 Sedan, E88 Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesman View Post
I recently sold my SUV and am primary driving my 1-series (very similar to yours) with two kids (3 & 5). I ended up dropping the huge clunky car seats that were in the SUV for lighter more "sporty" seats that fit them and the car much better.

I found them on Amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So far the first seat came in today (ordered two and one came today with the other arriving tomorrow?? makes no sense to me) and so far, my son (3) loves it. it fits him really well and even though the seat uses the latch system, it still uses the car's seat-belt as the main restraint. But the beauty is this car seat moves the shoulder belt to right above his right shoulder (for rear-passenger side position) and holds him snugly in the seat.

I had to remove the rear head rests to get the seat to fit properly with the approved recline of the rear but once installed I could get the head rest to click into the first latch. As my son grows and I have to move the his head restraint up, the carseat will cover the roll-bars so the head-rest won't be necessary after that.

I have attached an image of my test fitting the seat with him in the car. Hope that helps.

#2 Arrives tomorrow, I'll report back how well that fits with this one next to it
That kid is straight pimpin'

E88 Crimson Red Vert MSport 6MT - Listing your mods in your signature is lame.
BMS DCI/MHD E30 Flash!!/AA Sport FMIC/VRSF CP w Tial BOV/VRSF 3" DPs/550i clutch w SPEC SMFW/Apex EC-7s/Whiteline RSFB/E92 M3 FCAs/Bilstein B12 Pro Kit/VRSF inlets
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2015, 08:39 AM   #6
ejm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135 Convertible 6MT

At the risk of sounding like a prick I think you need to ask yourself if this is really the right car for you.

It might be doable but certainly not if you plan on driving it often with kids in the back seat and the top down. Have you ever sat in the back seat with the top down on the highway? Those poor little kids will be cold and wind-blown and someone should probably call DCF on you.

I have a 135 convertible and I have the windscreen, which you can't use with people in the back seat. The windscreen helps but is far from perfect even under the best of circumstances. Oh and the 135 is not my main car.

The only way you might be able to pull it off is if you have something else to drive and this is only a toy or if you use it as a coupe whenever you have kids in the car and only use it as a convertible only when you are alone. And if the weather is good enough, which in the northeast is not as much as you think (trust me on this). So I suspect you won't be using it as a convertible as much as you might think.

I don't mean to pee on your campfire here I'm just being pragmatic. Honestly I think unless this is an extra car you need to just own up to the fact that when you had two little kids your days of driving small sporty convertibles aren't coming for a while.
      04-29-2015, 09:15 AM   #7
Ubelmort
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Thanks all!

Thats all great to hear, my 5 year old is switching to a booster seat when I get the car tomorrow as his height and weight is at that point now and my 20m old is in a front facing car seat now so that shouldn't be to much of an issue, though I can see it starting to be a pain for a while.

rhodesman,

Thanks so much for all the feed back, I was looking at purchasing a similar model in the future for my 20m old when he meets the reqs. Love the details about the head rest!

ejm3,

All I could do is semi laugh at your post, however thank you for the valid concerns. The kids will only be in that car for roughly 10 to 15 minutes a day when I pick them up from daycare to go home. My kids love putting the windows down at this point, so in all honestly this purchase is semi for them to have that experience of a controvertible before they become at the age where they feel they are to 'tough' to enjoy such things. Its always great seeing my kids laugh and play with the wind.

Concerning the cold, I'm not ignorant... if its cold the top isn't coming down. I don't let them do that now with the windows. Also we have a family car so any long trips, that will be used.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 10:30 AM   #8
Stavo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E88 135i M Sport DCT

Garage List
Hi Ubelmort, I have had my 2012 135i vert for several months now and have had kids in it on several occasions. I think it depends on the child's height and seat(child seat) arrangement whether or not they will be comfortable. Let me explain, sometimes a petite adult will fit in the back seat better than a child. That is because if the child's feet end up in the narrowest part between the front and rear seat it will be a tight fit. An adults foot will rest on the floor . I also have a pet peeve about the bottoms of kids shoes pressed against the seat back. over time will leave scuff marks. Let me know if this makes sense to anyone else.
      04-29-2015, 10:38 AM   #9
rhodesman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E88 135i

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [10.00]
ejm3,

Although your points are valid, I think you're viewing this as a parent who thinks a non-parent is going to be driving kids around. My kids love having the top down and anything above 60* F they are begging me for it. I always tell them they must first be dressed appropriately (aka pants and a sweat shirt for anything 60*-70*F) and the same as my dad who took me on his Harley when I was a teen, I never take the kids on the highway if the top is down. If we have the top down (regardless of temp) I'm always 50mph or below and in most cases never getting past 40mph.

If this was my brother driving my kids, I would 100% insist he takes them in our other SUV and keep the fun stuff to the kids and us only because of those concerns. Again, I'm not beating on you for saying what you said, because it is perfectly valid, but I totally disagree that you can't have fun and be a parent at the same time.

Cheers!

Mods: JB4, Trebila Custom tune, FBO, Fuel-It Stg2 LPFP, Berk Street Performance w/ Berk Resonated Midpipes, & lots of little body/OEM+ mods
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 11:29 AM   #10
Ubelmort
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Stavo,

Yea it does really depend on the Car Seat and where the kids feet are. Thats why my oldest will sit behind me as his feet will go below that point and my youngest will sit behind the passenger seat as my wife is smaller than me and that front seat will be up more.

I'm the same way with the kicking of the seat as well... I am considering buy a kick mat http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ds=Kick%20Mats
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 11:39 AM   #11
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

As long as you are not planning to do any road trips with 4 people in this car, you should have no problems

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 11:58 AM   #12
Stavo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E88 135i M Sport DCT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubelmort View Post
Stavo,

Yea it does really depend on the Car Seat and where the kids feet are. Thats why my oldest will sit behind me as his feet will go below that point and my youngest will sit behind the passenger seat as my wife is smaller than me and that front seat will be up more.

I'm the same way with the kicking of the seat as well... I am considering buy a kick mat http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ds=Kick%20Mats
Kicking MAT! genius

Enjoy your convertible. I traded in an 05 E46 Performance package car (ZHP) 4 door. rarely miss the rear seat room and I absolutely love my new(well CPO) car. Kids and adults enjoy riding in it even in the back. Only extended trips had our 11 Lbs pup in the back seat. He rides in a booster. I am sure I get strange looks, but the doggie booster seat is one of the best purchases I have ever made. Only way I will let the dog in the new ride.

http://snoozerpetproducts.com/produc...FReBaQod6VsAyQ
      04-29-2015, 11:58 AM   #13
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I'm hoping for grandkids soon, not worried about transporting little ones. But my 6'3" son and 5'9" daughter have ridden in my e88 many times. A few times it has been those two plus my son in law who is under 6'. My daughter does not like the back with the top down if the speed will be above 35mph. It messes up her hair. Both males like the top down nearly any time. It's a bit of a squeeze to put all of us in the bimmer, I'm 6'2", but for around town, once we all get there, we are comfortable.
      05-01-2015, 07:12 PM   #14
Converted1
Wolfsburg to Munich
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Convertible M-Sport

My 135i Cabrio is not my DD but I have driven it 12hrs straight to myrtle beach for 3 years with a wife, 6 and 9 yr old. Yes including our luggage and with the trunk partition down so we can drop the top when we hit N Carolina for the last 2 hrs.

Don't fall prey to what others consider a viable "family" car. You as a person and parent get to decide what you want your family life to be like. My kids love road trips and do not require a video screen to keep them entertained. Everyone gets a duffle bag and we bring the essentials for a weeks worth of living.

Both of my kids are in Recaro Vivo seats that fit perfect with the rear headrests removed and are fully adjustable. I'll try to find a pic.

Good luck and have fun!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2015, 02:06 PM   #15
ChiBimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i 6MT Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejm3
At the risk of sounding like a prick I think you need to ask yourself if this is really the right car for you.

It might be doable but certainly not if you plan on driving it often with kids in the back seat and the top down. Have you ever sat in the back seat with the top down on the highway? Those poor little kids will be cold and wind-blown and someone should probably call DCF on you.

I have a 135 convertible and I have the windscreen, which you can't use with people in the back seat. The windscreen helps but is far from perfect even under the best of circumstances. Oh and the 135 is not my main car.

The only way you might be able to pull it off is if you have something else to drive and this is only a toy or if you use it as a coupe whenever you have kids in the car and only use it as a convertible only when you are alone. And if the weather is good enough, which in the northeast is not as much as you think (trust me on this). So I suspect you won't be using it as a convertible as much as you might think.

I don't mean to pee on your campfire here I'm just being pragmatic. Honestly I think unless this is an extra car you need to just own up to the fact that when you had two little kids your days of driving small sporty convertibles aren't coming for a while.
My kids love riding in their grandfather's vert in any weather in Chicago.

Yes, it can get colder on long drives but that's what coats and sweatshirts are for.

OP, enjoy your vert 1. However much you like it--and you will--your kids will like it more.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2015, 09:04 PM   #16
Ubelmort
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
I'm greatly enjoying having a BMW again from going 8 months stuck in a Honda Crosstour. I bought the 1 on Thursday and I've already had to fill the tank up 3 times, lol. I even had to go get sunscreen for my head/face because thats already burnt!

The Kids love it as well, my son continuously talks about 'Daddies new black car' and wants the top down.
Appreciate 1