BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-07-2012, 02:06 PM   #1
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep
Drives: the ladies crazy

unresolved issues with warranty expiring

hi all,

my warranty is expiring in a couple weeks so i'm scheduling one last service appointment. i have 2 ongoing issues which have been "addressed" at least 10 times each by a number of different dealers, but never successfully fixed. these issues were both first "addressed" in my very first service appointment, and have been mentioned in every subsequent service appointment through now.

1. passenger side window periodically refuses to go up. a couple times it's been so insistent on NOT going up that i've had to leave my car with the window open. once this happened with rain in the forecast, and i actually had to turn around and go home after i parked, cause i didnt want to leave it out in the rain with the window open. it has been reset a million times, they've tried software updates, disassembly/reassembly, replacement of motors and glass, nothing helped. i suspect this is an electrical issue (see below)

2. sunroof rattles all the time. i'm not exaggerating... i've learned to tune it out, but every small crack in the road produces the same old rattle, whether the roof is closed, tilted, or open. again, multiple dealers have tried, but never made any improvements after "looking for it" many times and replacing motors, tracks, glass etc. other times.

i suspect there may be other electrical issues, as sometimes when i come in to a dealer, they will tell me that the information read off my key is nonsensical. most recently, it reported that my brake pads were 390,000 (!) miles overdue for replacement (the car currently has 34,000 miles). when i got the car back, the blinkers didn't work for some reason (this was later fixed with yet another reflash)

so... anyone have any advice/thoughts? i just KNOW these issues will make the car harder to sell, and therefore less valuable on resale. is there anything to do about this? the car is, and has always been completely stock except for kw v1 coilovers, m3 links/swaybars, and wheels/tires (all of which was installed years after the rattle began, so not related)

Last edited by fourtailpipes; 12-07-2012 at 02:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 06:51 PM   #2
wv128bmw
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 128 space grey on red

Buy an extended warranty and keep bringing back on the next day if you have to until its fixed or they offer to give you a unbeatable deal on a trade.
      12-12-2012, 02:06 AM   #3
slow35i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 13' glacier silver 328xi

If you can reproduce the concern then verify it with a ride along with a shop foreman
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 12:12 AM   #4
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep

well... i got the car back. the dealer was great about it, and did a lot to try to fix the problems. they added foam to the roof in some spots and replaced the passenger window motor again.

unfortunately, the roof rattles exactly as it always did, and after one day, the passenger window began misbehaving. after 3 days now, the passenger window is completely defiant and will not stay closed. tomorrow i'll report back to bmw na, who i informed of these ongoing issues just prior to the warranty expiring. bmw na refused to promise any kind of extended coverage at that time, but told me they usually will agree to continue to cover the problem issues if a post-warranty inspection shows the issues remain. hopefully bmw will agree to extend coverage at least to these items. maybe that will be what it takes to finally get these problems fixed.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 11:29 AM   #5
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 08 CR-V

I was told by my dealer that if the issue was reported (and was not resolved or is reoccuring) before the warranty ends.... it is still covered.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 01:01 PM   #6
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep

the dealer has been great about this. the car is back in now, and they're looking at it again. bmw na is quite cryptic, and won't really tell me their intentions, but the dealer assures me they will continue to try until it's fixed, since they've seen it happening continuously on my car. this gives me some comfort, but eventally bmw is going to stop paying this dealer for the repairs, so i really hope they can fix it soon so i can sell the car and not have to suffer the cost of the defect myself.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 11:07 AM   #7
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 08 CR-V

If I had a car with recurring issues .. (even if I loved the car) ... I would get rid of it.

My 135i has had many issues and all have covered by warranty. ie. new turbos at 49K... HPFP... I figure I have another 40K of life left in these turbos. My point is I wil not be owning this car past 100K. Just too many problems.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 02:42 PM   #8
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA135i View Post
If I had a car with recurring issues .. (even if I loved the car) ... I would get rid of it.

My 135i has had many issues and all have covered by warranty. ie. new turbos at 49K... HPFP... I figure I have another 40K of life left in these turbos. My point is I wil not be owning this car past 100K. Just too many problems.

i do not love the car. i'm trying as hard as possible to be rid of this car asap, but i can't very well sell it for its market value with a blatantly obvious defect. i've done absolutely everything i could have to protect the resale value of this car... i bought it brand new and drove it less than 9k miles a year, always garaged, oil changed every 5k, no drivetrain modifications whatsoever, and its in fantastic condition inside and out. when the dealer called me the other day the gentleman on the phone sounded nervous, and started with "one of the shop guys was moving your car and... well... (pause)" at which point i immediately got excited, thinking maybe they'd crashed it! no such luck... it's still mine :-(

Last edited by fourtailpipes; 12-21-2012 at 02:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 03:36 PM   #9
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep

i got the car back on wednesday, and the window seems to be working. it's only been a couple days, and i'm cautiously optimistic. the dealer replaced just about everything that has anything to do with the window. i still don't want to say the name of the dealer just yet, in case the issue goes south again, i really don't want this to turn into any kind of dealer-bashing. when i'm confident it's fixed for good, this will turn into a glowing review of what has been, so far, a fantastic dealer experience. they were even nice enough to leave my car inside during the holidays and the following snow storm, provide a loaner car for 2 whole weeks, and wash my car better than i do myself, post-warranty, no charge.

fingers crossed it stays fixed!
Appreciate 0