BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-20-2010, 06:10 AM   #67
oldschool
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330i, jcw mini

To me, the seats are seriously underwhelming. Will there be a "M3-ish leather" option? I'll say it again - do what you want to get the base price where you need it but please don't short change the options availability for those to whom cost is secondary.

And tell me, how do 4 more pics of camo'd prototypes contribute to an "in-depth look?"

I thought this was a done deal for me but am now getting a bit nervous...
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 06:54 AM   #68
cpippolo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknbean View Post
m3 guages are way better. they should just stick with that. the two tone makes it look cheezy
Agree. M3 gauges look much better. 1M gauges look like they came from a toy car, not that they will stop me from getting the 1M
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 06:57 AM   #69
///Mangler
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 Darth Vader Trackcar

Garage List
2000 E39 M5  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant View Post
I think you're confused. You should not shift at the hp peak for best performance. You want the engine to spend as much time as possible as close to the hp peak as you can. If you shift at hp peak, you're not doing that since upshifting puts you well below hp peak in the next gear. The reason the redline (the proper shift point) is generally higher than the hp peak is because upshifting will put you a roughly equal amount below the hp peak in the next gear (so you average in a range where the hp peak is in the center, more or less).
Peak torque not HP. Torque moves the car not HP. You want the next gear to start at peak torque or thereabout.

T
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 07:01 AM   #70
BMW_x5_Msport
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5f15

No warm up lights like the other m cars? as of right now i do don't like the way this looking!
premium package
sport package
comfort access
premium hi-fi system
navigation that plays dvds
real time trafic ect.
ipod,hd,sat,
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 08:10 AM   #71
Cameraeye
Ghetto Blasta
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cement Truck

The gauges are kinda retro looking i dig them
      10-20-2010, 08:46 AM   #72
niuniu
NO DOGMA
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: baby bimmer

Cheers Scott!

Gives us a good idea on the interior arrangement, might be like. The polished finish on the M dials and the slimmer (than your standard 1 series) seats are going to be great when finished.

Wonder what options will be available - I have a thing for the Piano Black finish at the moment, need a change from the brushed aluminum on my current 1er.
      10-20-2010, 09:00 AM   #73
pyrat
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by digi View Post
Omg the speedo looks terrible! Ugh, looks like they took the e46 m3 tach and tried to jazz it up but failed horribly. Very uncharacterisitic of an M car. And im pretty sure its production seeing that the rpm x 1000 etc fonts cradle the curves. In any case let's hope this M's motif is "function" over form.
I disagree. I think it appeals to the young crowd as it is meant to do. I like the tach
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 09:09 AM   #74
Kurt_OH
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant View Post
I think you're confused. You should not shift at the hp peak for best performance. You want the engine to spend as much time as possible as close to the hp peak as you can. If you shift at hp peak, you're not doing that since upshifting puts you well below hp peak in the next gear. The reason the redline (the proper shift point) is generally higher than the hp peak is because upshifting will put you a roughly equal amount below the hp peak in the next gear (so you average in a range where the hp peak is in the center, more or less).
I disagree.

Shift at peak HP for best straight line acceleration. Note that M3 and 458 Italiia both have peak hp at ~redline.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 09:11 AM   #75
JHOOPS2
AKA HISSMAN
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 SG 135i Coupe'

I am just curious as to what all suspension components I can transplant onto my 135i. The engine performance is a non issue. Handling dynamics are the only things that I am really wondering about. I am sure the wider track will be excellent, but for my car, it isn't essential, and really looks a little to aggressive for my taste, though I wouldn't kick it out of bed. This car should really open up the market for the X35'ers hopefully with more products that we can all benefit from.

-Jeff
      10-20-2010, 09:21 AM   #76
///Mangler
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 Darth Vader Trackcar

Garage List
2000 E39 M5  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_OH View Post
I disagree.

Shift at peak HP for best straight line acceleration. Note that M3 and 458 Italiia both have peak hp at ~redline.
Thats because the gearing is setup to place the next gear at max torque if you shift at redline.

In the N54 for example, short shifting to match the gearing for max torque will provide the best acceleration for a given situation.

T
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 09:46 AM   #77
Kurt_OH
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mangler View Post
Thats because the gearing is setup to place the next gear at max torque if you shift at redline.

In the N54 for example, short shifting to match the gearing for max torque will provide the best acceleration for a given situation.

T
Yea, we still disagree. Acceleration is ALL about HP. Under sufficient traction you will ALWAYS achieve Max acceleration at any given speed at Max HP. that's why you shift at Max HP: instead of the drastic post HP peak dropoff, you get that initial drop after shift followed by immediate gains
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 10:26 AM   #78
JHOOPS2
AKA HISSMAN
United_States
Rep

Question :

Do you accelerate faster in 4th gear from 30-60mph, or from 60-90mph?

;-) ........
      10-20-2010, 10:56 AM   #79
Kurt_OH
Captain
United_States
Rep

What it boils down to is that peak acceleration is at peak HP, so for acceleration you always want to get TO peak HP. Beyond that, the question becomes how to position the shift within the HP peak and redline in order to - as another poster stated - maximize the area under the curve. But lets be clear: it is the HORSEPOWER curve we're maximizing.

Last edited by Kurt_OH; 10-20-2010 at 11:25 AM.. Reason: typos
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 11:15 AM   #80
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHOOPS2 View Post
Question :

Do you accelerate faster in 4th gear from 30-60mph, or from 60-90mph?

;-) ........
C'mon, 0-30 is the fastest.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 11:33 AM   #81
JHOOPS2
AKA HISSMAN
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuned1 View Post
C'mon, 0-30 is the fastest.

Even better.
      10-20-2010, 11:38 AM   #82
poody
Rep
Drives: 09 STI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Majority buyers of those cars won't be driving them on the race track, and when they do it's few times a year at most. The reason for leather is leather costs higher and for people to give away 50-100k they need justifications for the price tag. ( I am paying more therefore I get a product using more expensive materials) Nothing fundamentally is sporty about leather, it's not much lighter than cloth and it doesn't have a higher coefficient of friction to hold driver in place.

I agree it looks nicer, as in of higher quality, but I don't agree it's sportier.

The 2012 Nissan GTR has more leather and better leather. Is it the leather that made it go faster around a track?
this is a M series car not an econobox. If you want cloth seats, stick with the 125i. Almost all M series cars use leather/alcantara mix and not cloth. Cloth on a M series would be atrocious. And who said anything about leather seats making the GTR go faster? I was merely debunking your bold statement that "Leather seats belong in luxury" cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 11:39 AM   #83
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

Quote:
Found one on Car and Driver's site. At 7500 there's a white bar sticking out.
That tach is indicating a 7k red line... the white line within the red bar is only to indicate the 7500 mark within the range of 7k to 8k...

i.e. reving to 7500 on that tach means you exceeded red line.
      10-20-2010, 11:49 AM   #84
Kurt_OH
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveHard View Post
That tach is indicating a 7k red line... the white line within the red bar is only to indicate the 7500 mark within the range of 7k to 8k...

i.e. reving to 7500 on that tach means you exceeded red line.
Yea I agree and this is a 135i tach i posted. I should have been more thorough in my post. I posted the pic to show that Scott26's dash pic DOES NOT HAVE that dividing line; even with the crop you'd see it. Thus its a HINT that it is not there, and hopefully because what we see is where the redline starts.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 12:05 PM   #85
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Yea I agree and this is a 135i tach i posted. I should have been more thorough in my post. I posted the pic to show that Scott26's dash pic DOES NOT HAVE that dividing line; even with the crop you'd see it. Thus its a HINT that it is not there, and hopefully because what we see is where the redline starts.
Quite easy, but not the answer you've been hoping for. M tachs don't have divding lines, but dividing dots. You can't see it in SCOTT's pic, but in the other tach pic posted in this thread. Sorry, but (visual) redline appears to be at 7,000 rpm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
To me, the seats are seriously underwhelming.
The production car will have M3 seats.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 12:27 PM   #86
spiderz17
Not a BMW Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by poody View Post
this is a M series car not an econobox. If you want cloth seats, stick with the 125i. Almost all M series cars use leather/alcantara mix and not cloth. Cloth on a M series would be atrocious. And who said anything about leather seats making the GTR go faster? I was merely debunking your bold statement that "Leather seats belong in luxury" cars.
Base seats on M3 are cloth/leather combo, and I don't think any ///M comes with alcantara available from the factory. Alcantara is available through BMW accessories.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 12:34 PM   #87
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

M Dynamic Mode...interesting.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 12:49 PM   #88
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
M Dynamic Mode...interesting.
We knew this was coming. We just won't see EDC.

M Drive

An optional feature that offers a comprehensive array of choices when it comes to personalizing your M3 driving feel. Normally, Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) helps to deliver optimal traction; but with M drive, DSC can also be set to track oriented M Dynamic Mode (MDM), which allows for more wheel slip and yaw angle. Optional Electronic Damping Control (EDC) can be set to comfort, normal or sport, depending upon your preferred handling settings and the surface of the road. Also engine response can be tweaked via a button in the center console which calls up normal, sport or sport plus programs.
Appreciate 0