04-16-2012, 05:48 PM   #67
1911A145
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianf View Post
Sure, I am sure they can just whip up a pair of resonators

Why spend big $ on a vehicle and then 'dress' it on-the-cheap ?

The shape of the pipes is different to the stock mids too, if I re-call it gets rid of a kink and perhaps wider diameter?
That's the info I was looking for. If it was just the cat deletes or if there was an actual difference in piping and better overall perfomance.

there are hundreds of different makes and models of resonators shops can put in. Many are not that expensive, either. One, for example, is Magnaflows magnapack resonators. straight through, perforated, lfetime warranty. not "cheaping down" or "dressing up" anything really. So is the same mindset go for cheap honda drivers who sepnt 500 on their car and spend 10k on a full race turbo kit, exhaust, and fully buit motors? lol.

Everyone has different outlook on what their cost/benefit ratio is. Not everyone cares to just waste money on something that wont do much and something no one will ever see. to each their own. we all cant follow the norm otherwise all of our cars would like and sound the same.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 06:17 PM   #68
1911A145
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Point taken... a cheaper option would be N55 mids. The noise of the MD mids is just what I wanted, small performance gain, no cosmetic enhancement as they have an OEM look. My BMW SA was looking for issues when I took my car in for 2k service and they picked up non-BMW oil filter and magnetic sump plug, but failed to pick up on the MD's
Cool. Yea, if youwant to keep that OEM look than I see your point, but does the N55 also have these "kinks" like the N54 has?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 01:24 PM   #69
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

If you guys are looking for just a slightly better deal on the existing MadDad midpipe I would put the inquiry in with HP Autowerks. They may be willing to offer a 'slight' discount with a minimum number of deposited orders, but that would be up to them.

To give a little more background on the midpipe topic, let me take you back to when we first created the MadDad midpipe. There is a reason we made our own resontors for this product. It was two-fold. One, we introduced the pipe when when the N54 was the only engine and therefore you had the secondary cats in the midpipe. We wanted to create a pipe that on quick glace had a look very similiar to the OEM pipe in respect to where the OEM cats are located. So you can see our resontors have the same location and staggered layout as the OEM cats and they are approximately the same size. In essense it looks like you have secondary cats even though they are not. This is important to some U.S based customers when it comes to visual inspections. Second we needed to be able to tune the sound to the extent that we could within the limitation of the resonator size. The first pre-production version of the MadDad midpipe was not the one we went to production with. I wasn't totally happy with the tone quality of it, so we made some changes to the baffles in the resontors and ironed out the wrinkles. I mention this because yes most midpipes are very similiar, but they are definatley not the same and will positively get a different sound quality from one to the other, more so inside the cabin of the car rather than outside drive-bye's.

Final note. This part could be priced higher. It isn't because we tried to set what I felt was a very fair price for a part that has custom built resonators that are used in no other automotive part except for this very low production item. The reality is there isn't much margin to play with for GBs outside of the origonal introduction of the part a couple of years ago, but you guys should ping HP Autowerks and see if they can do anything for you. The answer may be 'No' and if it is its not because they are milking everyone. They play with a slim margin on this product. There is a reason there are very few MadDad resellers and its mostly because the box margins are not there for them. HP Autowerks tried out one of our products on their own house car and decided the fitment the sound and quality were worth it so they started to carry the line despite the lower margin. Kudos to them for that. It means they recommend products they believe in and use themselves rather than products that always give the best margin.

R.
      04-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #70
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911A145 View Post
Cool. Yea, if youwant to keep that OEM look than I see your point, but does the N55 also have these "kinks" like the N54 has?
you'd be surprise at all the information you can find using the search feature.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 02:36 PM   #71
providence
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35xi, F15 X5 (35d), 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddad View Post
If you guys are looking for just a slightly better deal on the existing MadDad midpipe I would put the inquiry in with HP Autowerks. They may be willing to offer a 'slight' discount with a minimum number of deposited orders, but that would be up to them.

To give a little more background on the midpipe topic, let me take you back to when we first created the MadDad midpipe. There is a reason we made our own resontors for this product. It was two-fold. One, we introduced the pipe when when the N54 was the only engine and therefore you had the secondary cats in the midpipe. We wanted to create a pipe that on quick glace had a look very similiar to the OEM pipe in respect to where the OEM cats are located. So you can see our resontors have the same location and staggered layout as the OEM cats and they are approximately the same size. In essense it looks like you have secondary cats even though they are not. This is important to some U.S based customers when it comes to visual inspections. Second we needed to be able to tune the sound to the extent that we could within the limitation of the resonator size. The first pre-production version of the MadDad midpipe was not the one we went to production with. I wasn't totally happy with the tone quality of it, so we made some changes to the baffles in the resontors and ironed out the wrinkles. I mention this because yes most midpipes are very similiar, but they are definatley not the same and will positively get a different sound quality from one to the other, more so inside the cabin of the car rather than outside drive-bye's.

Final note. This part could be priced higher. It isn't because we tried to set what I felt was a very fair price for a part that has custom built resonators that are used in no other automotive part except for this very low production item. The reality is there isn't much margin to play with for GBs outside of the origonal introduction of the part a couple of years ago, but you guys should ping HP Autowerks and see if they can do anything for you. The answer may be 'No' and if it is its not because they are milking everyone. They play with a slim margin on this product. There is a reason there are very few MadDad resellers and its mostly because the box margins are not there for them. HP Autowerks tried out one of our products on their own house car and decided the fitment the sound and quality were worth it so they started to carry the line despite the lower margin. Kudos to them for that. It means they recommend products they believe in and use themselves rather than products that always give the best margin.

R.
...nuff said...
placed my order w daddy SCP cause HP's site has this as a "back-ordered" item... maybe I'm late to the party?? Good luck gents!!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 03:33 PM   #72
1911A145
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaddylo View Post
you'd be surprise at all the information you can find using the search feature.
You would be surprised at all the lack of information by using the search feature. Maybe the forum should be re-named to "don't ask any questions until you have searched through the 1 million threads of unrelated information first and spend days guessing because others do not know the answers themselves and you are stuck asking a simple question related in a thread revolving around your answer."

Oh, wait, that IS what a public forum is for. A community to help others with a related hobby or interest and guide those who need help. I forgot it also accepted the crybaby's who are un-helpful and un-willing and sit behind a CPU all day to nit-pick all the little things every single member says or does or asks. some people don’t sit behind a monitor on this forum 24/7 to see every thread and know everything about a particular car. I have a life and asked a simple question. If you cannot answer it or include a thread that can answer the question with your "just search" attitude than stop posting to just bump up your post count in an effort to look like you know the answer yourself.

-----------

Now that I wasted my time typing that, I have a question for maddad since there is no phone number listed on their site for you to contact them directly.

Do you have a picture of the internals of your resonators? You said you make these. Are they straight through and perforated like magnaflows, are the louvered like the industry standard resonators for passenger cars many muffler shops use, are the chambered like others, or so you use a perforation and chamber, any packing, turbo tube, etc. I would love to see what type of build these small resonators have in them and the type of flow they allow.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 03:48 PM   #73
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911A145 View Post
You would be surprised at all the lack of information by using the search feature. Maybe the forum should be re-named to "don't ask any questions until you have searched through the 1 million threads of unrelated information first and spend days guessing because others do not know the answers themselves and you are stuck asking a simple question related in a thread revolving around your answer."

Oh, wait, that IS what a public forum is for. A community to help others with a related hobby or interest and guide those who need help. I forgot it also accepted the crybaby's who are un-helpful and un-willing and sit behind a CPU all day to nit-pick all the little things every single member says or does or asks. some people don’t sit behind a monitor on this forum 24/7 to see every thread and know everything about a particular car. I have a life and asked a simple question. If you cannot answer it or include a thread that can answer the question with your "just search" attitude than stop posting to just bump up your post count in an effort to look like you know the answer yourself.

-----------

Now that I wasted my time typing that, I have a question for maddad since there is no phone number listed on their site for you to contact them directly.

Do you have a picture of the internals of your resonators? You said you make these. Are they straight through and perforated like magnaflows, are the louvered like the industry standard resonators for passenger cars many muffler shops use, are the chambered like others, or so you use a perforation and chamber, any packing, turbo tube, etc. I would love to see what type of build these small resonators have in them and the type of flow they allow.

Thank you.
Obviously, you'd rather spend your time selling parts to a junk yard.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 03:51 PM   #74
1911A145
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaddylo View Post
Obviously, you'd rather spend your time selling parts to a junk yard.
Selling parts to a junk yard? Ok... lol have a nice life
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 08:09 PM   #75
Jet Mech
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M Coupe VO

I bought my Maddad Midpipe from Harold at HP Autowerks about a week ago and just got it. So maybe they are not backordered anymore. I installed it and the sound is great and the install was easy. The quality of the Maddad is top notch...see pic of Maddad next to the stock pipe. Also i weighed them both and Maddad shaved 5 pounds from stock...bonus!!!! Thanks Harold and Maddad for a great product and service.

Name:  P1000706.jpg
Views: 2545
Size:  120.1 KB
2001 S54 M Coupe (Sold)
1998 M3/4 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 10:38 AM   #76
ZCP M3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M Coupe #759

In for GB
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 01:17 PM   #77
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Guys, according to what I just learned from Harold of HP Autowerks which actually confirms what was already told by Maddad earlier in this thread, there won't be a GB for the MD midpipes for us. Just wanted to share it.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 02:55 AM   #78
LotusBoy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M, N55, KW's DDC

I swapped to N55 mid-pipe last week. Frankly, there is not much of a difference, but at least the drone is almost gone ...
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 06:59 AM   #79
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
My MadDad's seems to just get better ...now after 3,000km's

Sounds exotic under acceleration... was thinking of getting the Borla ATAK muffler, but actually it is perfect as is.
How about performance now that it has had time to open up?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 10:34 AM   #80
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusBoy View Post
I swapped to N55 mid-pipe last week. Frankly, there is not much of a difference
+1 I cant notice a difference really. Not in sound, not in performance, not in drone. Still way too quiet for me but my 135 had straight pipes with a Borla axleback.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 11:27 AM   #81
LotusBoy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M, N55, KW's DDC

Well, IMO, the best exhaust "valve" is this one: opening the windows. Now that makes a huuuge difference. Plus it's free !!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 04:19 PM   #82
mikewills
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ducati Hypermotard

Garage List
2008 Duc 848  [0.00]
Broke down and ordered a midpipe from Maddad. Took alot of begging to the wife, so I hope Rich can get this thing out soon.
BMWCCA #454364
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 04:27 PM   #83
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewills View Post
Broke down and ordered a midpipe from Maddad. Took alot of begging to the wife, so I hope Rich can get this thing out soon.

Did you get an ETA?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 04:35 PM   #84
mikewills
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ducati Hypermotard

Garage List
2008 Duc 848  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Did you get an ETA?
I ordered it last night, so nothing yet.
BMWCCA #454364
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 06:14 PM   #85
superchargedman
Captain
Rep
Drives: The ///Mbulance: 1M AW

Quote:
My MadDad's seems to just get better ...now after 3,000km's

Sounds exotic under acceleration... was thinking of getting the Borla ATAK muffler, but actually it is perfect as is.
I love my n55 and borla. Deeper, burbly, sharper throttle response, and very livable.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 05:43 AM   #86
MN54
Canada
Rep
Drives: M//

already on order here for the madDad's
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 11:11 AM   #87
superchargedman
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Think that Borla + MadDads may be too loud?
I'm not sure. I haven't heard maddads in person, but I can't imagine there's a huge difference in loudness compared to the n55. I actually think I could tolerate a bit louder, but I'm very happy with the way this setup works. It's almost as quiet as it was at regular revs and cruising speeds, but it always has a more characteristic growl. Then, you open it up, and it reminds you what you have under the bonnet and below your butt.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 11:13 AM   #88
superchargedman
Captain
Rep

I just couldn't justify almost a doubling of the price for the maddads. I got a good price on the n55s from getbmwparts, but unfortunately, these guys no longer even ship outside of the states.
Appreciate 0