BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-12-2014, 10:17 PM   #45
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canefan View Post
This guy gets it.

I am a car guy. Always have been. I've had 2 E46 M3's, an E36 328, an E39 540i, and the 135i that I just got rid of. The tax deal in GA for the Leaf is just too good to pass up and lots, I mean LOTS, of people that drive nice cars are taking advantage of it. 90% of my driving is easily within the range of this car, and when I need to go further, my wife and I swap cars for the day. With a Level 2 charger in the garage I can go 30miles per hour of charging. We all make sacrifices in life, and I have to tell you, this was an easy one. We bought a beautiful Lake property that we will enjoy for years to come. Shopping boats is more fun than I imagined it would be and I can't wait to have my new baby tied up at the dock outside my place.

I'm telling you the Leaf is NOT a bad car to drive. As another poster said, you get instant torque when you press the accelerator and it is faster than a lot of gas powered cars out there. It has all the creature comforts, and the Nav and sound system are better than what was in the 1er. I can pull out my cellphone and turn on the AC before leaving work, or preheat the car in the winter while I'm getting ready to leave in the morning. In the end, it was an easy no-brainer decision. Oh, did I mention that it's FREE???
Agreed - I could definitely see doing it. Most of us have at least two cars, so one being an electric that gets the daily driver errands makes a lot of sense. Atlanta commutes suck, including driving to the airport - a Leaf would be great.

I was reading an article written by a guy in TX. He had a Leaf, and said it went 60 miles on a full charge in the summer (A/C on), and died on the side of the road. He had to flatbed it to a charger. So that trip home from Hartsfield in the summer, driving 40 miles, when a wreck backs up 75/85 or GA400, and your battery gets low... Know your MARTA stations.
      06-13-2014, 08:46 AM   #46
Canefan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 Monaco Blue 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbmw View Post
Agreed - I could definitely see doing it. Most of us have at least two cars, so one being an electric that gets the daily driver errands makes a lot of sense. Atlanta commutes suck, including driving to the airport - a Leaf would be great.

I was reading an article written by a guy in TX. He had a Leaf, and said it went 60 miles on a full charge in the summer (A/C on), and died on the side of the road. He had to flatbed it to a charger. So that trip home from Hartsfield in the summer, driving 40 miles, when a wreck backs up 75/85 or GA400, and your battery gets low... Know your MARTA stations.
The newer Leaf has an increased range and more efficient heating and cooling system. The A/C does not impact the range by more than 10%. I am routinely getting 85miles/charge. Traffic jams do not affect the range as the car uses very little power when stopped in traffic. The biggest energy drain is actually going highway speeds without slowing down or stopping. The cars braking system is regenerative - when you hit the accelerator the battery powers the motor that turns the wheels, but when you take your foot off and the vehicle slows, then the wheels turn the motor which then generates energy that goes back into the battery. Stop and go traffic is actually the best for battery usage oddly enough.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 09:07 AM   #47
Overpar56
Proud AARP member in good standing
Rep
Drives: Me nuts

Nothing in life is free. How about car insurance? Just curious if insurance is higher for EV vehicles than ICE vehicles.

My first EV will be a golf cart at Del Boca Vista phase II.

2012 135i DCT, Lemans Blue/black leather, PPK1, PE, Stoptech Sport rotors and Sport pads, unhealthy crackles and burbles and an aging demonic driver.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 09:50 AM   #48
Overpar56
Proud AARP member in good standing
Rep
Drives: Me nuts

And the latest news...
http://www.forbes.com/sites/neilwint...deal-with-bmw/

2012 135i DCT, Lemans Blue/black leather, PPK1, PE, Stoptech Sport rotors and Sport pads, unhealthy crackles and burbles and an aging demonic driver.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 01:54 PM   #49
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overpar56 View Post
Del Boca Vista phase II.
A Seinfeld reference?

Is your last name Costanza?
      06-13-2014, 01:59 PM   #50
Canefan
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw1racer View Post
A Seinfeld reference?

Is your last name Costanza?
Go on - Take the Pen!!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 05:25 PM   #51
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Go on - Take the Pen!!
LOL.
      06-17-2014, 06:42 PM   #52
MarkkyyMan
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 128i

Quote:
This guy gets it.

I am a car guy. Always have been. I've had 2 E46 M3's, an E36 328, an E39 540i, and the 135i that I just got rid of. The tax deal in GA for the Leaf is just too good to pass up and lots, I mean LOTS, of people that drive nice cars are taking advantage of it. 90% of my driving is easily within the range of this car, and when I need to go further, my wife and I swap cars for the day. With a Level 2 charger in the garage I can go 30miles per hour of charging. We all make sacrifices in life, and I have to tell you, this was an easy one. We bought a beautiful Lake property that we will enjoy for years to come. Shopping boats is more fun than I imagined it would be and I can't wait to have my new baby tied up at the dock outside my place.

I'm telling you the Leaf is NOT a bad car to drive. As another poster said, you get instant torque when you press the accelerator and it is faster than a lot of gas powered cars out there. It has all the creature comforts, and the Nav and sound system are better than what was in the 1er. I can pull out my cellphone and turn on the AC before leaving work, or preheat the car in the winter while I'm getting ready to leave in the morning. In the end, it was an easy no-brainer decision. Oh, did I mention that it's FREE???
So did you buy a boat yet? What kind are you shopping?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 07:44 PM   #53
Canefan
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkkyyMan View Post
So did you buy a boat yet? What kind are you shopping?
We bought a 22ft Harris Tritoon with a Yamaha 150 4 stroke outboard. It's like a pontoon, but it has 3 tubes instead of 2. Along the edges of the tubes are fin like projections called lifting strakes that cause the boat to plane like a traditional hulled boat. It'll top 40mph, which is very fast for a pontoon-like boat - plenty of power to pull a skier or kids on a tube. The ride is silky smooth and you barely feel any chop. Great for the family and the dog. It's like a floating living room - very plush and comfy.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 04:13 PM   #54
MarkkyyMan
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 128i

Quote:
We bought a 22ft Harris Tritoon with a Yamaha 150 4 stroke outboard. It's like a pontoon, but it has 3 tubes instead of 2. Along the edges of the tubes are fin like projections called lifting strakes that cause the boat to plane like a traditional hulled boat. It'll top 40mph, which is very fast for a pontoon-like boat - plenty of power to pull a skier or kids on a tube. The ride is silky smooth and you barely feel any chop. Great for the family and the dog. It's like a floating living room - very plush and comfy.
Cool, I know a kid that has a similar setup and is really happy with it. Yamaha V MAX SHO outboard?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 08:51 PM   #55
CptSlow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by pick333 View Post
Life is to be lived! Too bad. As a taxpayer, I don't like subsidizing your lease of a this transportation device. Can't blame you for trying to save money, though. Maybe it will cause you to appreciate your next BMW even more.
As a taxpayer, I don't like many of the things that I subsidize, and don't use or even support.
2011 E82 128i STEP (wife's car)
2007 E92 335i (SOLD) 6MT
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 12:08 AM   #56
Killer-Bimmer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E60 M5 & '12 128i ZSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSlow
Quote:
Originally Posted by pick333 View Post
Life is to be lived! Too bad. As a taxpayer, I don't like subsidizing your lease of a this transportation device. Can't blame you for trying to save money, though. Maybe it will cause you to appreciate your next BMW even more.
As a taxpayer, I don't like many of the things that I subsidize, and don't use or even support.
+1,000 if I have to pay for Leafs then for my sanity they must contribute to my M habit
Appreciate 0