BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-23-2014, 01:32 PM   #1
Kizzu
First Lieutenant
Malta
Rep
Drives: Bmw 125i Black Sapphire

My BMW 125i Build from start till today sort of

So I've been willing to make a write up of my build since god knows when but due to my exam sessions I had to wait a little bit. So, as I got my license my parents decided to let me choose a car for myself on a specific budget which I paid half of it myself indirectly. So my father being an e30 owner I always lusted BMW's but growing in a generation where cars like supra's evo's rx-7/8 and nissan's dominated the car scene I was sided towards Japanese cars too and at first I was going to end up buying an e46 m3 or an rx8 (now knowing yet insurance groups etc on an 18 year old person). My father opted me out to buy the e46 M3 and later that week he began searching insurance agencies were he could insure me. Sadly no one accepted to insure a freshly licensed ''child'' with a 340bhp+ engine so those dreams where briefly shattered
later on that year (end of 2011) I was searching on autotrad3r and found out some e92's which are still pretty stunning and will surely remain so in my tastes. So we went on searching a 320i. The choice of the 2.0l engine mainly was decided by the insurance agencies here in malta as the only 2 options that they would insure me on were the 320d or 320i or less and being a person that dislikes diesel engines I went to buy the 320i. I had found one with 16k miles on it, had alpine white colour with red nappa leather in the interior and with msport pack so it was basically all i could have asked for, so we went to see it and its condition was utterly horrible. It had rust on the boot tear drops on the doors (spray painted badly) and the one of the door hinges wasn't mounted properly an as a result the edges of the door to the mudguard were a bit 'wrong' so we discarded that option too. I kept on searching the net hoping to find a similar e92 but surprisingly ended up on an e82 page and it was astonished by its shape. Don't get me wrong the e92 is more of e head turner but in those days the e82 was less common to find in the streets and having a proper boot and 4 seats it was quite a handful for me. long story short I ended up seeing this car from an approved used in sytner cardiff and I fell for it immediately. I knew that I would have some issues with insurance agencies having a 3.0 engine (yes they act according to engine displacement not engine output) but anyways on july 2012 I ended up buying it as at that time I thought that spending all my money on a car was a wise move. I was amazed by the cars extra's as for a 1er to have heated seat sat nav etc was not that common in my country, actually to be completely honest I am the only owner of a 125i here so you can imagine my pride anyways Once I shipped it here my happiness was shortly lived, no insurance agency insured me so I had to wait to drive it till the next year (it was being rarely driven by my father since then so as not to leave it sitting). On July 2013 I found an insurance agency that was ready to take the risk and insure me and so my project began. Slowly but at least I managed to continue
this was when it was stock
My first ''mod'' was a kidney grille replacement
the month after I went to a panel beater and removed my front plate and darkened just slightly the headlights and fogs with amber indicators

after the small exterior touches I wanted something done in the engine so to give it a little bit of umfff So I started from the newbie basics of mods... a short ram intake. which was round last december
and installed it myself taking me an hour or 2 without reading any instruction

next up was in last february doing stud and lug nut conversion myself which took me a week's time and a lot of swearing in the process of doing up the study with thread locker and jacking first fronts then rears etc

All that time spent was rewarding as although the lug nuts are not quite visible on stock alloys they will surely be noted in the near future.
from february till this month I didn't have time for her unfortunately as I was busy passing my A' levels so progress was minimal BUT this week I installed the p-torque 125i tune which is supposed to tweak the ecu and code it to 130i specs. The results were immediately noted, the car pulls more after 3k revs and the acceleration is noticeably quicker

this is all I have done to the car YET but in the near future my wishlist is something like this:
  • bc br coils
    csl bootlid or perf spoiler
    riegar diffuser
    custom exhaust
    struts and anti roll bars
    bmwp shortshifter
    front lip (don't know which one yet
    bmwp sideskirts
    some sort of alloys
    and maybe an lsd too

till know the car looks like this

thanks for watching
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 02:12 PM   #2
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Thats great, congrats! So the only difference between the 125i and 130i is the ecu tune? And since doing it you now have equal output of the 130i?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 02:32 PM   #3
Kizzu
First Lieutenant
Malta
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisar82 View Post
Thats great, congrats! So the only difference between the 125i and 130i is the ecu tune? And since doing it you now have equal output of the 130i?
uhmm yes sort of, I'm just doing round about 270 bhp but it is still not confirmed yet as the dyno booking is for next fortnight
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 05:15 PM   #4
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzu View Post
uhmm yes sort of, I'm just doing round about 270 bhp but it is still not confirmed yet as the dyno booking is for next fortnight
That sounds really high lol
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 02:44 AM   #5
Kizzu
First Lieutenant
Malta
Rep

Quote:
That sounds really high lol
I don't think so as I asked my tuner if 300bhp were possible and he replied to me that 290bhp is pretty achievable with a good intake and exhaust setup

Last edited by Kizzu; 06-24-2014 at 09:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 05:08 AM   #6
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Nice project.

I've got to say though, it's funny how you replaced the UK 'clear' headlights for 'Amber' headlights. It's just that almost every American wants to go the other way...unless you had to replace the headlights as part of the exportation process to Malta?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 09:13 AM   #7
Kizzu
First Lieutenant
Malta
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozy View Post
Nice project.

I've got to say though, it's funny how you replaced the UK 'clear' headlights for 'Amber' headlights. It's just that almost every American wants to go the other way...unless you had to replace the headlights as part of the exportation process to Malta?
Uhmm no actually I am looking a pair of U.S headlights as I really like the amber touch on the indicator
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 09:23 AM   #8
Wakka
but no flokka
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Uhmm no actually I am looking a pair of U.S headlights as I really like the amber touch on the indicator
I'll trade you if you still have your EU ones.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 09:25 AM   #9
Kizzu
First Lieutenant
Malta
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakka View Post
I'll trade you if you still have your EU ones.
those in the picture are the EU ones I just spray painted them :P
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 03:00 PM   #10
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
I don't think so as I asked my tuner if 300bhp were possible and he replied to me that 290bhp is pretty achievable with a good intake and exhaust setup
Wow, what I would do for those gains! But I have the n51, so it isn't happening anytime soon. I also found it funny that you swapped the clear turn signals for amber, I did the exact opposite here in the states!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 04:49 PM   #11
Kizzu
First Lieutenant
Malta
Rep

Quote:
Wow, what I would do for those gains! But I have the n51, so it isn't happening anytime soon. I also found it funny that you swapped the clear turn signals for amber, I did the exact opposite here in the states!
Yes I know thing is that you guys in the U.S swap to eu headlights as they are unique there while in the eu your headlights are less common than the clear headlights thus giving it that ''look at me I'm unique'' look
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 10:37 AM   #12
Chandon
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1M

Mm so jealous of that tune.. Gonna do mine sometime down the road!
You've got the best colour
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 10:41 AM   #13
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Nice!!

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 09:23 AM   #14
Kizzu
First Lieutenant
Malta
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by viciousgook View Post
Mm so jealous of that tune.. Gonna do mine sometime down the road!
It really gives you the full potential of the n52 engine :P highly recommended
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 09:24 AM   #15
Kizzu
First Lieutenant
Malta
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Nice!!
cheers mate
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 09:34 AM   #16
fujitashi
Rep
Drives: bmw

06-26-2014, 10:24 AM   #17
Kizzu
First Lieutenant
Malta
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujitashi View Post
the most damn hard to keep so though! it's really frustrating keeping it really tidy with no scratches what so ever
Appreciate 0