BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-31-2013, 10:42 PM   #89
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
lol
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 11:31 AM   #90
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 08 CR-V

I give permission to stop the thread.
Sparkling Graphite Metallic / 6MT / Terracotta Boston Leather / Sport Package / Comfort Access system / Gray Poplar wood trim / Heated front seats / iPod and USB adapter / HD radio / Premium hi-fi system / OE Tuning / VRSF Intercooler & charge pipe / BMW Performance short shift kit / BMW M Performance Handbrake Handle / BMW Stainless steel pedals / V1 hardwired / rear sun shades Pennsylvania 20 electoral votes
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 10:10 PM   #91
bhs0731
Still new around here
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track

So.....yea my Hyundai was way more reliable than my BMW. BMW interior was not worth the extra $20k, I really expected much more. Engine in the 135 was amazing but the dual clutch trans had issues, it would nearly stall out at idle and taking off it was not smooth at all. These two cars just are not in the same class, you can buy 2 Genesis Coupes for the price of a 135i. Hyundai left me stranded once and that's only because I hit a Camaro going 55 while my BMW loved the dealership. Nearing the end of warranty I got rid of it as quickly as I could. Don't knock it till you've driven it and then consider the bang for the buck, I don't think I'll own another modern BMW.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 09:34 AM   #92
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhs0731 View Post
So.....yea my Hyundai was way more reliable than my BMW. BMW interior was not worth the extra $20k, I really expected much more. Engine in the 135 was amazing but the dual clutch trans had issues, it would nearly stall out at idle and taking off it was not smooth at all. These two cars just are not in the same class, you can buy 2 Genesis Coupes for the price of a 135i. Hyundai left me stranded once and that's only because I hit a Camaro going 55 while my BMW loved the dealership. Nearing the end of warranty I got rid of it as quickly as I could. Don't knock it till you've driven it and then consider the bang for the buck, I don't think I'll own another modern BMW.
Yeah, well, Hyundai's shitty technicians got me damn near killed by an 18 wheeler on I-10 last summer. The car (my buddy's 2012 3.8 R Spec) had been experiencing steering issues that were supposedly fixed. Locked up on my ass entering the freeway at 65+ (while accelerating), lost control, spun, wound up facing the wrong way, and then (thank God) a massive 18 wheeler only clipped us on the passenger side at over 70 MPH.

At least when my DCT 135i stalled on the freeway in very low speed traffic, I could safely coast off to the shoulder, come to a stop, and restart the car. I also trust that now that it's been updated, this won't happen again. More than I can say for Hyundai service.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 10:39 AM   #93
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
I've never driven one, but I think they look pretty nice, and the 3.8 R-Spec, that's a lot of bang for the buck.

I've sat in a gen coupe at an auto show though, and felt let down. Nothing about the interior made me feel like I was in a sports car. It was rather boring.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 12:17 PM   #94
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

My daughter is on her second Hyundai. It's the little one, comparable to a Civic. She totaled her first one, a 2008, and bought another she likes it so much. I considered a Santa Fe last time I purchased a SUV. I didn't like the belt driven camshaft or I might have purchased it. Engine has been updated now, I believe. My daughters car is basic transportation but I could have purchased 3 of them for what I have for my e88. It also has more passenger room and a bigger trunk. It's a lot of car for the money. The warranty is also a reason we went with a Hyundai the first time. 5 years bumper to bumper is a good warranty.

Hyundais are not Yugos or at least older Fiats (not sure how recent Fiats are with build quality). They are quite competitive vehicles and are even doing much better in the styling department.

The comparison to Toyotas and Hondas is appropriate IMHO. A comparison to BMW is a stretch in the same way a comparison of a fast Mustang to a BMW is a stretch. It isn't that the Hyundai or Mustang is necessarily slower or a bad vechicle. It isn't a bimmer. Depends on what you want.
      06-05-2014, 12:43 PM   #95
SabreE82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 Space Grey M-Sport 135i

The Gen is a nice car, period. Is it on the same level as a bmw? Not yet.

That said, here you go, had to check then out for myself:

Last race on the vid.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 01:10 PM   #96
edisapimp
Civil Rights Activist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 Sedan, E88 Vert

I think it's a nice car. I'm not sure I'd own a coupe version, but it's definitely nice. I got a rental Genesis sedan last year from Budget and I'd be lying if I said I didn't *really* like it and return it with a massive amount of respect for what Korea is doing.

If I wanted a bigger 4-door car I would get a Genesis v8 over a 5er or Mercedes E or S, simply based on the value. The other car I would seriously consider buying if I were in the market for something bigger is the Optima SX or Limited. Go Korea!

E88 Crimson Red Vert MSport 6MT - Listing your mods in your signature is lame.
BMS DCI/MHD E30 Flash!!/AA Sport FMIC/VRSF CP w Tial BOV/VRSF 3" DPs/550i clutch w SPEC SMFW/Apex EC-7s/Whiteline RSFB/E92 M3 FCAs/Bilstein B12 Pro Kit/VRSF inlets
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 09:30 PM   #97
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by edisapimp View Post
I think it's a nice car. I'm not sure I'd own a coupe version, but it's definitely nice. I got a rental Genesis sedan last year from Budget and I'd be lying if I said I didn't *really* like it and return it with a massive amount of respect for what Korea is doing.

If I wanted a bigger 4-door car I would get a Genesis v8 over a 5er or Mercedes E or S, simply based on the value. The other car I would seriously consider buying if I were in the market for something bigger is the Optima SX or Limited. Go Korea!
We leased a Genesis sedan for 24 months in Aug '08. That is before you could find one on the road, before anybody had ever heard of one, before any of the Super Bowl TV commercials, before the NY COTY awards, etc. Sure, the ride wasn't as refined or sporty as a German sports sedan... but some versions of German sports sedans don't exactly ride so sporty anymore either. Fit and finish were excellent. Paint was much better quality than my 135is. Never had a squeak or rattle. Rear wheel drive, with tons of content, especially considering the price. Not a single mechanical problem, ever. I seriously considered trading it in for a 4.6. There is usually no convincing the haters and doubters... but there is no denying this isn't the Hyundai of the '80s.

F87 '16 M2 ... Mineral Grey, 6MT, Exec, MPE
Gone: E82 '13 135is 475/586 ... Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 09:43 PM   #98
edisapimp
Civil Rights Activist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 Sedan, E88 Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickMsport View Post
We leased a Genesis sedan for 24 months in Aug '08. That is before you could find one on the road, before anybody had ever heard of one, before any of the Super Bowl TV commercials, before the NY COTY awards, etc. Sure, the ride wasn't as refined or sporty as a German sports sedan... but some versions of German sports sedans don't exactly ride so sporty anymore either. Fit and finish were excellent. Paint was much better quality than my 135is. Never had a squeak or rattle. Rear wheel drive, with tons of content, especially considering the price. Not a single mechanical problem, ever. I seriously considered trading it in for a 4.6. There is usually no convincing the haters and doubters... but there is no denying this isn't the Hyundai of the '80s.
I'm definitely with you. The car felt super solid, the brakes were outstanding, and the navigation and bluetooth were perfect. I couldn't agree more about convincing the doubters, but there will probably be a day in the future that hyundai and/or kia will have a luxury line a-la Acura, Lexus, and Infiniti.

E88 Crimson Red Vert MSport 6MT - Listing your mods in your signature is lame.
BMS DCI/MHD E30 Flash!!/AA Sport FMIC/VRSF CP w Tial BOV/VRSF 3" DPs/550i clutch w SPEC SMFW/Apex EC-7s/Whiteline RSFB/E92 M3 FCAs/Bilstein B12 Pro Kit/VRSF inlets
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 10:09 PM   #99
killerhurtalot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Quote:
I'm definitely with you. The car felt super solid, the brakes were outstanding, and the navigation and bluetooth were perfect. I couldn't agree more about convincing the doubters, but there will probably be a day in the future that hyundai and/or kia will have a luxury line a-la Acura, Lexus, and Infiniti.
Probably not... They're pushing their new Genesis sedans as a 3 series competitor and the the Kia K900/Hyundai Equinos or whatever it's called as a 7 series competitor....
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 10:21 AM   #100
firokzz
just another 1addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i, grey, convertible, stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1descending
I don't think you'll find many people here that will tell you the Genesis is 'better'...
Lol true
I think OP just wanted confirmation that the 1 series was better
      06-06-2014, 11:17 AM   #101
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

I love the way the Genny looks, but wasn't a fan of the driving dynamics. I will test drive one again when the next generation comes out.

Coming from Honda and Toyota of old, I have an open mind to Hyundai, but they haven't won me over yet by a long shot.
      06-06-2014, 11:21 AM   #102
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

Quote:
My previous post not withstanding, I do agree with you two on the sedan. I spent a month in two Genesis sedans (2011 models) while my, then, Audi A3 was in the body shop for repair. It was great car. I had NO complaints. Hyundai is definitely NOT the same company it was years ago and is NOT making the products they USED to make, overall.

That said, the coupe is NOT a 2-Door version of the sedan. The steering is rubbery and numb, the shifter sucks, the Infinity sound system sucks (especially compared to the 1 series' HK, which isn't saying much AT ALL), the Bluetooth isn't anything to write home about (the 1 Series is just as good), fit and finish is just ok, and the handling is just ok. About the only thing I'll say is great about it is the engine. But, for the money, buy a fucking 370z and you'll be A LOT happier.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 10:24 PM   #103
Killer-Bimmer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E60 M5 & '12 128i ZSP

Wow comparing an intellectual theft company like Hyundai to a company that spends hundreds of thousands of hours in design and engineering only to have blatant theft occur is a disgrace. Will never ever support any company that operates in this fashion and there is beginning to be many.

And not sure how anyone can say they are even decent cars. I've driven many and most listed here and everyone is a pile of ****. The Genesis( have you driven one in the rain; wtf they can't make a rain gutter so as when you apply the breaks you don't get 10 gallons of water rushing down the windshield.

Try to prop these tin cans up with all the dress you want underneath is just a a pile of crap. I'll buy American crap before I'd buy these cheap whores.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 10:29 PM   #104
Overpar56
Proud AARP member in good standing
Rep
Drives: Me nuts

Die thread. Die!

2012 135i DCT, Lemans Blue/black leather, PPK1, PE, Stoptech Sport rotors and Sport pads, unhealthy crackles and burbles and an aging demonic driver.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2014, 07:59 AM   #105
Stay Puft
Rep
Drives: 2008 Bmw 135I

Gen coupes are very nice cars. If they ever have the balls to put a 400+Hp V8 in one watch out.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2014, 12:22 PM   #106
2tonik
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Sport 6MT Ti Silver

My wife has a 20012 Genesis 3.8 sedan. It's a very good first effort, in my opinion. Its handling is surprisingly neutral and there's good steering feel. The DI V-6 makes good power but of course lacks character and smoothness compared to a BMW straight six. My only real complaint is that the car doesn't have enough rear suspension travel - it bottoms too readily and my back has been "tweaked" several times when riding in the back. My wife had a C280 and was considering a Fusion Hybrid (prev gen). I steered her towards the Genesis and we've been happy with it.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2014, 12:30 PM   #107
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerhurtalot View Post
Probably not... They're pushing their new Genesis sedans as a 3 series competitor and the the Kia K900/Hyundai Equinos or whatever it's called as a 7 series competitor....
I think its more like alternative. Depending on what you are looking for it could be a great alternative.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2014, 12:49 PM   #108
llowlife
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09' 135i

Since I have watched this thread live far beyond what I thought it would I might as well weigh in for what its worth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer-Bimmer View Post
Wow comparing an intellectual theft company like Hyundai to a company that spends hundreds of thousands of hours in design and engineering only to have blatant theft occur is a disgrace. Will never ever support any company that operates in this fashion and there is beginning to be many.
Agreed, but sadly the Japanese were doing this at trade shows in the 80's, I'm not sure they are good innovators but they can copy things beyond belief and make improvements sometimes.

The torque curve on the Gen looks to be (other than a large spike early on) uninspiring until 5k. HP sells cars Torque wins races.

I have never driven a Gen but my wife is looking strongly at a Veloster turbo. I havent researched it yet but looks okay on paper.

If I was spending 30K on a car I'm not sure Hyundai would be my first choice but to each their own, I chose a fun somewhat problematic car so whos to say I'm right?
Cobb e30 tune, VRSF DP's, 7"intercooler, Chargepipe w/ Tial BOV, RB PVC, Wavetrac LSD, KN air filter, More suspension upgrades than I can remember. Alpina tranny flash. I am putting the mods here in case I DO forget. Coming soon to a 135i near you, a one off exhaust and a one off oil cooler.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2014, 01:36 PM   #109
2tonik
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Sport 6MT Ti Silver

The 3.8 V-6 pulls hard from a little over 2k and has a pretty even torque curve from there. The 4.6 V-8 is even better down low.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2014, 03:35 PM   #110
MarkkyyMan
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 128i

After you've seen a couple hyundais with control arms that have broke and the wheel moves back and forth in the wheel well you tend to steer clear..
Appreciate 0