BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-11-2014, 07:26 AM   #23
Overpar56
Proud AARP member in good standing
Rep
Drives: Me nuts

Why not an i3? Not any more ugly than a Leaf but looks to be a better technology car.

2012 135i DCT, Lemans Blue/black leather, PPK1, PE, Stoptech Sport rotors and Sport pads, unhealthy crackles and burbles and an aging demonic driver.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 02:41 PM   #24
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 128Convertibleguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
What bugs me is many cities installing "free" charge stations. Are they doing that in ATL?
Why does that bug you?

Electric cars are going to be a big deal in the future. One problem is of the chicken-egg sort. Some people won't buy electrics without charging stations. The private sector won't build charging stations without a large base of electrics. So, government steps in to bridge the gap. At some point, they'll be able to sell off those charging stations. Probably at a profit.

By and large, they're not free. Often they take a credit card.

Hydrogen powered cars are the same deal. Honda is betting that those will be even bigger. But, without an infrastructure of "gas" stations, it's a heavy lift.

Fossil fueled powered cars were a lot of fun. So were horse drawn buggies way back then. Bill Ford, chairman of Ford.

"Ford Motor has basically spent the last 30 years making faster horses, Ford said, but what Ford Motor Company plans to do in the next decade is build the Model T of the 21st century. If Ford doesn’t build that new Model T, then Silicon Valley most certainly will." Or Toyota.
What's creating the electric power? As far as I know, it's either coal, nuclear, or natural gas. So all electric cars are one of them, by proxy. They can also further strain the often overtaxed electric grid, as electricity is not stored on the grid: peak times require more coal/nuclear/gas. Calif hasn't built a new powerplant since the 1970's - enjoy the brown outs as more electric cars are sold, funded by taxpayer credits.... Madness.

But I'd get one if it were free - and give a big "thanks!" to the tax paying fools who are paying for it. And paying for the roads via gas taxes, etc. etc.

Btw - hydrogen must be refined using power from powerplants. It's incredibly inefficient as a power source, which is why BMW suspended hydrogen technology. But if we can dupe taxpayers into subsidizing it...
      06-11-2014, 03:28 PM   #25
128Convertibleguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 128 Covertible

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbmw View Post
What's creating the electric power? As far as I know, it's either coal, nuclear, or natural gas. So all electric cars are one of them, by proxy. They can also further strain the often overtaxed electric grid, as electricity is not stored on the grid: peak times require more coal/nuclear/gas.

Btw - hydrogen must be refined using power from powerplants. It's incredibly inefficient as a power source, which is why BMW suspended hydrogen technology. But if we can dupe taxpayers into subsidizing it...
The "life cycle" analysis of the electric covers that. As do "wells to wheels" analyses. The electric wins. It's much more efficient to make electricity in big power plants, and use almost 100% efficient electric motors in cars. Among many factors, wires are cheaper transport than tanker trucks. Proper siting of those power plants, and the use of electric cars, will dramatically reduce urban pollution.

Another factor you're not considering is when electric cars are charged. Principally at night. When the grid has so much excess capacity, they sell power to companies who use it then at much lower rates. The big users are things like office buildings (lighting and HVAC), and manufacturing facilities that shut down at night. Big hydrogen plants will no doubt operate at night, as well as be sited, like the aluminum industry, near cheap power.

At some point residences will get "demand pricing" also. When that happens for a large number of people (a small number have it already) electrics will be even more of a deal as your short distance car. Not to mention other savings, as people move discretionary use (washing machines, dishwashers, etc.) to night. Eventually your smart home will monitor the price of electricity, and wash your dishes and clothes when it's cheapest. And charge your car.

Car makers disagree about whether hydrogen will power the car of the future (example, Honda), or electric (example, BMW). Personally, I think both will have significant market share.

The world is marching on to the future, as always. People can choose whether to go with that, or fight it. I'm both enjoying my 1 series for now, and looking forward to better options ahead.

Last edited by 128Convertibleguy; 06-11-2014 at 03:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 03:33 PM   #26
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

You must have disliked driving.
      06-11-2014, 03:51 PM   #27
128Convertibleguy
Captain
Rep

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
You must have disliked driving.
Assuming you're talking to me, hardly. I've been a car guy since before I had a license. I've done much competitive driving, autocross, rally, karting, etc. Raced wheel to wheel with SCCA for years. Have enjoyed watching Hill, Surtees, Donahue, a few Andrettis, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Johnson, and Castroneves, etc. in person.

But I'm also a scientist, and recognize that the glory days of dead dinosaur(OK, dead algae) powered vehicles are coming to a forseeable end. So do the car companies.

Last edited by 128Convertibleguy; 06-11-2014 at 04:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 06:48 PM   #28
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 128Convertibleguy View Post
The "life cycle" analysis of the electric covers that. As do "wells to wheels" analyses. The electric wins. It's much more efficient to make electricity in big power plants, and use almost 100% efficient electric motors in cars. Among many factors, wires are cheaper transport than tanker trucks. Proper siting of those power plants, and the use of electric cars, will dramatically reduce urban pollution.

Another factor you're not considering is when electric cars are charged. Principally at night. When the grid has so much excess capacity, they sell power to companies who use it then at much lower rates. The big users are things like office buildings (lighting and HVAC), and manufacturing facilities that shut down at night. Big hydrogen plants will no doubt operate at night, as well as be sited, like the aluminum industry, near cheap power.

At some point residences will get "demand pricing" also. When that happens for a large number of people (a small number have it already) electrics will be even more of a deal as your short distance car. Not to mention other savings, as people move discretionary use (washing machines, dishwashers, etc.) to night. Eventually your smart home will monitor the price of electricity, and wash your dishes and clothes when it's cheapest. And charge your car.

Car makers disagree about whether hydrogen will power the car of the future (example, Honda), or electric (example, BMW). Personally, I think both will have significant market share.

The world is marching on to the future, as always. People can choose whether to go with that, or fight it. I'm both enjoying my 1 series for now, and looking forward to better options ahead.
Again, what fires those powerplants (that need to be greatly increased in number, vs. being shut down by the current administration's EPA, for burning coal)? If coal/natural gas/nuclear is being burned to create the electricity, how is that reducing pollution? I see electrics charging at special parking places all over the city and at the airport, all during the day - not at night.

You are right that the big users (lights and HVAC) are active mostly during the day. But the grid cannot store electricity anywhere, so while they encourage usage at night, they cannot dictate it (yet); the grid has to be built for maximum load at all times, so the unused power at night is simply wasted energy - hardly efficient. That's why there are brownouts during peak times.

And again, you don't have hydrogen without a plant to refine it - which means more electricity usage.

Electrics use 25-40% of their energy to power the HVAC and accessories in the car - this draws down the "life cycle" equation quite a bit.

Most carmakers are developing electric vehicles - to meet the regulations imposed on them, and to sell cars that people can buy for free (thanks again, taxpayers!) - neither of which benefit the drivers.

I don't think anyone is "fighting" the move away from gasoline/diesel powered vehicles - just not buying the politically/economically driven half-truths.
      06-11-2014, 07:55 PM   #29
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Buy a Porsche 911 if you have Tesla money...just saying

I'm surprised you dont get run over in Atlanta with your 0-60 speed

Sorry, being a smart-ass tonight b/c worked sucked.

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 08:45 PM   #30
takenit2dmax
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Silver M-sport NAV

For all you skeptics out there who think you will miss the performance of yesterday's technology, I would challenge you to test drive a Tesla model S. I recently had the opportunity and was blown away. I have driven some very fast cars in my life, but nothing that would rival the acceleration of the Tesla. Yes, $110K is a little expensive, but like any new technology it will eventually come down in price. There are solutions to green energy, such as solar and wind that will allow you to charge your vehicle at no harm to the environment. In fact, Google already has solar powered charging stations for Tesla's and Leaf's in some of their facilities. Perhaps someday we will simply have induction charging pads under each parking spot. Wouldn't that be cool? The ICE has had a good run, but its time is slowly running out...
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 02:03 AM   #31
MarkkyyMan
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by takenit2dmax View Post
For all you skeptics out there who think you will miss the performance of yesterday's technology, I would challenge you to test drive a Tesla model S. I recently had the opportunity and was blown away. I have driven some very fast cars in my life, but nothing that would rival the acceleration of the Tesla. Yes, $110K is a little expensive, but like any new technology it will eventually come down in price. There are solutions to green energy, such as solar and wind that will allow you to charge your vehicle at no harm to the environment. In fact, Google already has solar powered charging stations for Tesla's and Leaf's in some of their facilities. Perhaps someday we will simply have induction charging pads under each parking spot. Wouldn't that be cool? The ICE has had a good run, but its time is slowly running out...
Would you take a Tesla Model S over a new BMW M5 or Used Porsche Panamera Turbo?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 07:10 AM   #32
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
Assuming you're talking to me, hardly. I've been a car guy since before I had a license. I've done much competitive driving, autocross, rally, karting, etc. Raced wheel to wheel with SCCA for years. Have enjoyed watching Hill, Surtees, Donahue, a few Andrettis, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Johnson, and Castroneves, etc. in person.

But I'm also a scientist, and recognize that the glory days of dead dinosaur(OK, dead algae) powered vehicles are coming to a forseeable end. So do the car companies.
I was talking to Canefan.
      06-12-2014, 08:33 AM   #33
128Convertibleguy
Captain
Rep

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkkyyMan View Post
Would you take a Tesla Model S over a new BMW M5 or Used Porsche Panamera Turbo?
Absolutely.

But I'd keep the 128, too. One gas car, one electric (especially a Tesla) is about perfect for right now. The electric for most of my driving, Gas for road trips, and the occasional afternoon fling.

Last edited by 128Convertibleguy; 06-12-2014 at 08:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 10:05 AM   #34
flzrider
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:

Nice to see that there are other level-headed, objective members out there. The notion that if you drive or even support the idea of an electric car you are somehow no longer a car enthusiast is absurd. I love driving my 1M, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't love to drive an electric car either.

I'd love to get a Nissan Leaf as a daily driver, unfortunately I don't have an electric outlet at my apartment's parking garage OR at work. Hopefully this will change in the future.

And to those arguing the details; the analysis of electric vs. ICE has been done: electrics are still more efficient overall. It can only get better once we diversify our power production options such as wind, solar, and more nuclear.
      06-12-2014, 10:38 AM   #35
other_evolved
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Chevrolet SS

lol at some people in here.....this seems like a thread straight out of E46fanatics with some peoples comments.

If I could drive a free, boring car for two years and the trade off was a boat and a lake house....well, where do I sign up??
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 11:42 AM   #36
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flzrider View Post
Nice to see that there are other level-headed, objective members out there. The notion that if you drive or even support the idea of an electric car you are somehow no longer a car enthusiast is absurd. I love driving my 1M, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't love to drive an electric car either.

I'd love to get a Nissan Leaf as a daily driver, unfortunately I don't have an electric outlet at my apartment's parking garage OR at work. Hopefully this will change in the future.

And to those arguing the details; the analysis of electric vs. ICE has been done: electrics are still more efficient overall. It can only get better once we diversify our power production options such as wind, solar, and more nuclear.
Personally, I'm fine with an electric as an enthusiasts car - no argument there (the Tesla rocks...). I don't agree that "the analysis of electric vs. ICE has been done, and electrics are more efficient" - there are many ways of doing that analysis, and it's certainly not complete. Wind and Solar power are very expensive and very inefficient - and it's not certain that it will change in the foreseeable future. Nuclear is the most promising option, but many people/groups are strongly opposed to it.

That said, I'd love to have an electric hot rod - with no smog, awesome power, range of 300+ miles, plenty of grid capacity, and charging stations dispersed across the US. Right now that's only the Tesla (as far as I know), and the infrastructure components are weak. But that can/should change - an no maintenance is a great trade-off, if an electric fits your lifestyle. I just hate the corporate welfare part of the tax breaks, etc. - Tesla is not hurting for money, and the $7,500+ tax incentives screw the taxpayers.
      06-12-2014, 11:57 AM   #37
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

How does buying an electric car mean you are not a car guy?

It is an interesting choice for sure, it is not always about having the fastest car. I like cars with good engineering.

I applaud the OP for his choice. I had a diesel smart, that thing was rated as the slowest accelerating car you could buy in this country. I still consider myself a car guy. Although, I nearly doubled the price of the car with modifications, and it was still slow as hell, but at least made more than double the stock HP. The crappy computer actuated true manual 6 speed was horrible. A true 6 speed DCT would have transformed that car. Track days were interesting for sure.

We have a local chap who has a couple of Teslas. His model S runs the 1/4 in the mid 12's. That is pretty damn fast. It is also incredibly fast on the track.

The less gas we burn now, the longer it will last. It isn't going to last forever. I wish I could put an i3 into my stable, but unfortunately, can not install a charger in my condo parking spot.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 12:14 PM   #38
pick333
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW series 1 135i

Life is to be lived! Too bad. As a taxpayer, I don't like subsidizing your lease of a this transportation device. Can't blame you for trying to save money, though. Maybe it will cause you to appreciate your next BMW even more.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 12:47 PM   #39
MarkkyyMan
Captain
United_States
Rep

I guess I miss the point on a car over 100 grand that will go about 206 miles then require a recharge. 1 hour of charge equallying out to about 5 miles. Let us not forget this is at average temperature, those of us who live in places that actually get cold(-32°F here last winter) in the winter you can expect far lower numbers.

Not to mention in about 7 years you will be spending over 10 grand on new battery packs.

Last edited by MarkkyyMan; 06-12-2014 at 12:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 04:21 PM   #40
128Convertibleguy
Captain
Rep

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkkyyMan View Post
I guess I miss the point on a car over 100 grand that will go about 206 miles then require a recharge. 1 hour of charge equallying out to about 5 miles. Let us not forget this is at average temperature, those of us who live in places that actually get cold(-32°F here last winter) in the winter you can expect far lower numbers.
How so? It recharges in 8 hours, 4 if you get the dual chargers. 25/51 miles per hour of charge. Either way, overnight gets you a full charge. Tesla has set out about a hundred "supercharge" stations, most following a standard route coast to coast. 30 minutes gets you 170 miles. You do need the high end model.

The point is that very few trips for most of us are >200 miles. And that anyone who has an S almost certainly has another car for the few long trips. Or rents one.

As far as cold weather goes, the battery still charges fine in your garage. The charging warms it up a little. The result is maybe a 20% drop in range, much of it due to running the heater. If 160 miles instead of 200 is "far lower", you're right.

"I've had my Tesla Roadster out in -26C weather, and in many ways it tolerates it better than most ICE vehicles. If the car hasn't been plugged in, so the battery pack is cold, you have a bit less power (not that you'd notice it unless you floor it). Also the regenerative braking is disabled at first.

While the battery is cold it's a bit less efficient. Once it warms up the car behaves normally. You might lose 10 km range during the warm-up period. At highway speeds you will see a little more wind resistance, and driving through snow will probably reduce your range as well.

In extreme cold the heater consumes at most 5% to 10% of your range; the latter number would be at lower speeds where you have much more range to begin with."

This is consistent with other reports, from S owners. Here's a video from a guy in Norway.

http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2013/06...e-test-norway/

Last edited by 128Convertibleguy; 06-12-2014 at 04:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 04:47 PM   #41
MarkkyyMan
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How so? It recharges in 8 hours, 4 if you get the dual chargers. 25/51 miles per hour of charge. Tesla has set out some "supercharge" stations. 30 minutes gets you 150+ miles.

The point is that very few trips for most of us are >200 miles. And that anyone who has an S almost certainly has another car for the few long trips. Or rents one.

As far as cold weather goes, the battery still charges fine in your garage. The charging warms it up a little. The result is maybe a 20% drop in range, much of it due to running the heater. If 160 miles instead of 200 is "far lower", you're right.

"I've had my Tesla Roadster out in -26C weather, and in many ways it tolerates it better than most ICE vehicles. If the car hasn't been plugged in, so the battery pack is cold, you have a bit less power (not that you'd notice it unless you floor it). Also the regenerative braking is disabled at first.

While the battery is cold it's a bit less efficient. Once it warms up the car behaves normally. You might lose 10 km range during the warm-up period. At highway speeds you will see a little more wind resistance, and driving through snow will probably reduce your range as well.

In extreme cold the heater consumes at most 5% to 10% of your range; the latter number would be at lower speeds where you have much more range to begin with."

This is consistent with other reports, from S owners. Here's a video from a guy in Norway.

http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2013/06...e-test-norway/
So now your buying the car on the premise that you basically have a second car.

Quick charges will decrease the battery life even further. My 10 grand estimate was for the 60kW battery 80kW will be north of 10 grand.

160 miles would still be a little generous, factor in hills.

I guess it all comes back to the old "different strokes for different folks".

The Tesla reps in Detroit(NAIAS) were really nice/knowledgeable and had a cool display showing the mounting location for the batteries on the chassis.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 06:50 PM   #42
tglazed
Lieutenant
Rep

I actually work for Nissan and for anyone that hasn't driven an electric car, I would suggest doing it. Although I will never buy a leaf, (drive to much per day) for anyone who dailies to work and the grocery store, you may save a ton of money. The lease programs are awesome on those cars. No oil changes, no transmission flushes, no gas, tax breaks, and best of all, instant torque. Electric motor means 100% torque right off the bat. Btw most guys at work who use it as a daily are paying about $15 in electricity per month to charge it.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 07:58 PM   #43
Killer-Bimmer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E60 M5 & '12 128i ZSP

" I'd rather drive 10 feet of steel rebar through my temples."

+1,000,000

At least he's not diluted enough to claim the Leaf is faster than his previous 135?

Had a guy at work say he loved his Leaf so much because he could beat all the BMW's; even my M5 : the shop guys laughed about that for sometime!

In Seattle many think they are race cars. Hell there is a guy running around in a SmartCar with: "I am the Stig"
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 09:56 PM   #44
Canefan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 Monaco Blue 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by other_evolved View Post
lol at some people in here.....this seems like a thread straight out of E46fanatics with some peoples comments.

If I could drive a free, boring car for two years and the trade off was a boat and a lake house....well, where do I sign up??
This guy gets it.

I am a car guy. Always have been. I've had 2 E46 M3's, an E36 328, an E39 540i, and the 135i that I just got rid of. The tax deal in GA for the Leaf is just too good to pass up and lots, I mean LOTS, of people that drive nice cars are taking advantage of it. 90% of my driving is easily within the range of this car, and when I need to go further, my wife and I swap cars for the day. With a Level 2 charger in the garage I can go 30miles per hour of charging. We all make sacrifices in life, and I have to tell you, this was an easy one. We bought a beautiful Lake property that we will enjoy for years to come. Shopping boats is more fun than I imagined it would be and I can't wait to have my new baby tied up at the dock outside my place.

I'm telling you the Leaf is NOT a bad car to drive. As another poster said, you get instant torque when you press the accelerator and it is faster than a lot of gas powered cars out there. It has all the creature comforts, and the Nav and sound system are better than what was in the 1er. I can pull out my cellphone and turn on the AC before leaving work, or preheat the car in the winter while I'm getting ready to leave in the morning. In the end, it was an easy no-brainer decision. Oh, did I mention that it's FREE???
Appreciate 0