BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-17-2014, 07:28 PM   #23
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshirecat79 View Post
The turbos on our cars are water cooled. The pump continues to work after the car is shut off (as it's electric). I wouldn't bother with a turbo cool down unless you just finished some very hard driving directly before needing to cut the engine.
Well... I can tell you that the staff at the BMW Welt instructs new owners to let the turbo cool off before switching off a (hot)engine after a hard spirited drive. I think that's a common sense type thing.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 11:05 PM   #24
germ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
Regarding the trunk hinges, they don't intrude into the cargo space like the E9x hinges did, and they're spring-loaded so the lid opens when you unlock it. They're actually a more costly design. It always amazes me how people find the silliest things to quibble about.
Sorry: First, the trunk hinges DO intrude into the cargo space more than the older, more compact design. Second, I couldn't care less if they are spring-loaded. And third, my MDX has a huge trunk gate that opens automatically and it's all done without hinges protruding into the cargo space.

I don't buy that the new style hinges cost more than the old ones.

It may be silly for you, it isn't for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 11:19 PM   #25
germ
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Man View Post
What kind of oil change interval was done on your car? Did you ever have a UOA performed?
Oil changes by dealer under warranty, according to BMW schedule. I think once I got one extra oil change. According to oil indicator, next service due in 4k miles.
What is the connection between oil changes and turbo issues? Synthetic oil does not need to be changed often AFAIK. (Let's not open that can of worms).

What is a UOA?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 06:34 AM   #26
Iron Man
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by germ View Post
Oil changes by dealer under warranty, according to BMW schedule. I think once I got one extra oil change. According to oil indicator, next service due in 4k miles.
What is the connection between oil changes and turbo issues? Synthetic oil does not need to be changed often AFAIK. (Let's not open that can of worms).

What is a UOA?
I am pretty sure your turbine shaft/bearings are lubricated/cooled by oil. If your oil shears/breaks down, your turbo turbine shaft will not be protected as well and will wear prematurely. BMW just reduced their recommended OCI to 10,000 miles, from 15,000 (most feel the reason being their turbo engines cannot take a 15,000 miles oil change interval).

Though, I did not perform the failure analysis on your engine, so I don't if the turbine shaft is what failed on your turbo.

A UOA is a Used Oil Analysis. It can tell you if your oil is worn out (TBN < 1.0, high wear metals, etc.). From the UOA's I've seen, if I owned a 135i, I would be changing the oil every 5-6,000 miles or so.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 07:15 AM   #27
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

And people wonder why those of us who have been around for a bit stick to Mike Miller's old school maintenance regimen. 15,000 mile oil changes on a turbo car, especially a performance oriented one, are simply absurd.
      06-18-2014, 07:23 AM   #28
cheshirecat79
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 370z & 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Well... I can tell you that the staff at the BMW Welt instructs new owners to let the turbo cool off before switching off a (hot)engine after a hard spirited drive. I think that's a common sense type thing.
Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not saying it hurts, just that it's not as necessary as it was on older cars where you would need a turbo timer to ensure that the bearings have a chance to cool off properly before cutting oil flow- it's just one of the specific features of these engines.

Of course, we pay for that feature with water pump replacements, so I'm not really sure if we are coming out ahead
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 07:35 AM   #29
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Sorry: First, the trunk hinges DO intrude into the cargo space more than the older, more compact design. Second, I couldn't care less if they are spring-loaded. And third, my MDX has a huge trunk gate that opens automatically and it's all done without hinges protruding into the cargo space.

I don't buy that the new style hinges cost more than the old ones.

It may be silly for you, it isn't for me.
That fact that you're still going on about it is what's silly. They're TRUNK HINGES, not something I even think about when purchasing a car.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 12:14 AM   #30
germ
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Man View Post
I am pretty sure your turbine shaft/bearings are lubricated/cooled by oil. If your oil shears/breaks down, your turbo turbine shaft will not be protected as well and will wear prematurely. BMW just reduced their recommended OCI to 10,000 miles, from 15,000 (most feel the reason being their turbo engines cannot take a 15,000 miles oil change interval).

Though, I did not perform the failure analysis on your engine, so I don't if the turbine shaft is what failed on your turbo.

A UOA is a used oil analysis. It can tell you if your oil is worn out (TBN < 1.0, high wear metals, etc.). From the UOA's I've seen, if I owned a 135i, I would be changing the oil every 5-6,000 miles or so.
OK. But it is synthetic oil. It seems to me that 10k is a perfectly good interval for synthetic oil changes. 5-6000 miles seems overkill. I have never done a UOA. Where would I go for it and how much would it cost?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 12:57 AM   #31
MarkkyyMan
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 128i

5-6k (Depending on driving habits and where your driving) oil change intervals is cheap maintenance for extended life on turbos and the engine.

New or old you should still let the oil work through the turbo to cool it down.

You would be amazed at what you can learn from used oil. I took a tour of this place and it's awesome!!
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 06:50 AM   #32
Iron Man
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
OK. But it is synthetic oil. It seems to me that 10k is a perfectly good interval for synthetic oil changes. 5-6000 miles seems overkill. I have never done a UOA. Where would I go for it and how much would it cost?
You can send oil samples to Blackstone Labs. They will send you free sample kits you can use to send the oil sample back to them. It is $25 for standard analysis and an extra $10 to add TBN analysis (TBN is for how much additives there are in your oil), plus shipping.

Just because you are using a synthetic oil doesn't necessarily mean you can go 10,000 miles for an oil change. Not all synthetic oils are equal. You need to use an LL-01 approved oil and then you should test your oil based on how you drive with a UOA. If you drive short trips, rev your engine to redline frequently, etc. your oil can break down quickly, especially in a T/C engine. A UOA will really tell you how your oil holds up for how YOU drive your car.
Appreciate 1
      06-19-2014, 05:30 PM   #33
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkkyyMan View Post
5-6k (Depending on driving habits and where your driving) oil change intervals is cheap maintenance for extended life on turbos and the engine.

New or old you should still let the oil work through the turbo to cool it down.

You would be amazed at what you can learn from used oil. I took a tour of this place and it's awesome!!
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/
Did you take any pictures? That would make for a GREAT writeup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
And people wonder why those of us who have been around for a bit stick to Mike Miller's old school maintenance regimen. 15,000 mile oil changes on a turbo car, especially a performance oriented one, are simply absurd.
+1.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 04:17 PM   #34
MarkkyyMan
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Did you take any pictures? That would make for a GREAT writeup!

+1.
Sadly I did not , It was a quick tour, they sponsored one of my buddies car shows. I'll ask about pictures next time I go, plan on taking an oil sample there after my next oil change.
Appreciate 0