BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-13-2014, 08:30 PM   #1
whitebimmer09
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i Auto

First try with BMW CPO

So 2 weeks ago I bought a CPO BMW with 67,xxx miles on it (warranty good until October and service included) and I went into limp mode on the way from work. Engine temp light went on (The thermostat with water on the bottom logo) and I called the BMW roadside assistance number to have it towed. From what I read it is a water pump issue. I believe I feel happy that it happened now while it is still covered.

But, what should I expect? Should I get a rent-a-car? Should it take a while?

The tow was about 20 miles too and I hope that is covered.

The car is bone stock too.

I think that this is a good thing for me since after reviewing the service history the water pump never went out.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 08:51 PM   #2
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

What do you mean? Is it at your house or at the dealer service dept? They should give you a loaner for the repair. Couple days tops unless they have to order the parts. Fairly run of the mill repair job, aside from the price tag associated with it. Since you have CPO you're off clean there.

You should get AAA for tows. Not sure that tow job was free.
      06-13-2014, 08:56 PM   #3
whitebimmer09
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I called whatever BMW's roadside assistance was, if it is still under warranty it should cover if the car can't be driven? It was stuck in a seedy part of town too. They expect me to limp it over there?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 08:58 PM   #4
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

With CPO you get roadside assistance for free.

I had CPO with my E86 M Coupe and I blew an ignition coil. Instead of driving the 10 miles to the dealership on 5 cylinders I said F-it and called BMW Assistance.

Got a tow within 30 minutes (not bad for a 95F+ day) and got to the dealership. Next morning they called asking if I needed a loaner (ended up not needing one)

OP - CPO is a solid program. I only buy BMWs if a CPO is attached, you're covered and there is nothing to worry about. All you'll have to do it pay $50 per the CPO plan when the work is done and walk on out.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 09:00 PM   #5
whitebimmer09
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I want a loaner, problem is if it is too nice of one I might end up buying one..
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 09:07 PM   #6
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitebimmer09 View Post
I want a loaner, problem is if it is too nice of one I might end up buying one..
Don't worry, they will probably stick you with a 320i and you will hate yourself for driving it
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 10:23 PM   #7
Andrewcoja
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i MSport

CPO is definitely worth it. My car has been in the shop for almost two weeks now. I had an X3 for a while and they swapped me into a 328 today. They are worth a lot more than my car, but I love my car so much more. I think you just have to have a car you love and you won't care about the base model loaners they give you. The 328 has a HUD which is the only cool feature. It has ugly halogen headlights and I hate nav systems and this is some weird ass screen that just sticks up out of the dash.

Anyway. Valvetronic motor, ignition coils a new DME and 14 days of renting $40k cars for 50 bucks isn't a bad deal.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 02:25 PM   #8
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
Don't worry, they will probably stick you with a 320i and you will hate yourself for driving it
LOL

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 03:09 PM   #9
whitebimmer09
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

14 days in the shop? My CPO is up in October and i just hit 67500 miles. I get nervous about the warranty going up and something really expensive ($2000) repair happening.

I don't mind paying $800 here and $600 there but if I get whacked with a big bill I will not like it and will avoid it at all costs.

I see people (if they still have it) voiding the s*** out of their warranty on here and I wonder if all their cars have less miles then mine or if these cars really are not too bad if I don't mod or rag on it.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 03:25 PM   #10
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
I see people (if they still have it) voiding the s*** out of their warranty on here and I wonder if all their cars have less miles then mine or if these cars really are not too bad if I don't mod or rag on it.
I think the vast majority of these cars are fine. You really only hear about, and remember the horror stories. Have you ever searched the internet for a physical ailment you might have, only to be terrified by a chorus of people telling you you're about to die? I have, and cars are much the same way. A person here or a person there has an issue, and it all gets blown way out of proportion. There isn't a car in existent where an unlucky soul or two hasn't been fortunate, the 135i is no different.

In my experience, the car has been an absolute tank. I purchased mine about 3 years ago via BMW CPO, and it's been FBO COBB Stage 2+ Aggressive for 2 full years. In that time, the only things I've had to replace are the spark plugs and two coil packs. Total cost around $300 with myself doing the labor. The car has been FBO for over 25k miles now, and it's as fast and reliable as ever. Absolutely awesome.

Yes problems pop up with every car, but don't let worrying detract from enjoying the car. 99.9% of the crap we worry about in life never comes to pass. It's the stuff we never see coming that zings us.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 09:29 AM   #11
whitebimmer09
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So Friday night BMW roadside assistance had my car towed back to the dealer, early Saturday morning I get an email that automatically scheduled a service of 10:30 that day which was great, I didn't have to do anything. I called the service department at 10:45 to explain what was wrong with my car. The girl that answered was of no help with me trying to relay what I believed to be the issue. So, Noon rolls around and I get a call from the service tech asking me what was wrong with the car. I tell her exactly what happened and she asks me what the problem was. I was kind of like, well, I just told you. The engine temp went from yellow to red and the car was in limp mode... And I get asked again what the issue was and I told her "well I googled it and it sounds like a water pump issue, but I am not a BMW service tech so I don't know."
So I don't get a call back for the rest of the day.
I don't know if I am being picky but I am driving my wife's car around, she doesn't really use it but still being without your car is an inconvenience and I thought an update would be nice since a car is a something important.
So I am going to wait until Monday and see if someone calls me. I will almost bet that I won't get a call, and when I call they will still be at square one.
Do they take CPO claims less serious than someone who is paying out of pocket? It doesn't make sense because I may buy a new one here shortly.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 11:42 PM   #12
E82135i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, 6MT

Quote:
So Friday night BMW roadside assistance had my car towed back to the dealer, early Saturday morning I get an email that automatically scheduled a service of 10:30 that day which was great, I didn't have to do anything. I called the service department at 10:45 to explain what was wrong with my car. The girl that answered was of no help with me trying to relay what I believed to be the issue. So, Noon rolls around and I get a call from the service tech asking me what was wrong with the car. I tell her exactly what happened and she asks me what the problem was. I was kind of like, well, I just told you. The engine temp went from yellow to red and the car was in limp mode... And I get asked again what the issue was and I told her "well I googled it and it sounds like a water pump issue, but I am not a BMW service tech so I don't know."
I don't know if I am being picky but I am driving my wife's car around, she doesn't really use it but still being without your car is an inconvenience and I thought an update would be nice since a car is a something important.
So I am going to wait until Monday and see if someone calls me. I will almost bet that I won't get a call, and when I call they will still be at square one.
Do they take CPO claims less serious than someone who is paying out of pocket? It doesn't make sense because I may buy a new one here shortly.
Think this depends on a dealer/SA. I also have CPO and everytime I go in for something the service is GREAT. Don't wait for them to call, just call and let them know what is on your mind
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 04:19 PM   #13
Andrewcoja
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Recently had some warranty work done on my car.

Replace DME - $1196
Servo Motor - $262
Ignition coil - $47 x 2

Prices from ECS tuning, so 1.5-2x those for BMW prices plus labor. All that for only 50 dollars. Anyone who says extended warranty or CPO are a waste of money is an idiot.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 05:24 PM   #14
C135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i M sport BMW PPK1

Garage List
2013 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewcoja View Post
Recently had some warranty work done on my car.

Replace DME - $1196
Servo Motor - $262
Ignition coil - $47 x 2

Prices from ECS tuning, so 1.5-2x those for BMW prices plus labor. All that for only 50 dollars. Anyone who says extended warranty or CPO are a waste of money is an idiot.
Depends on what you "paid" for your extended warranty! When I bought my 3 series in 2011 the dealer was asking for nearly 5 grand for the extended warranty. Your repairs mentioned above are no where near that cost.

For my 2013 135i, it was on the lot past the new year so the dealer automatically CPO'd it for another year and 25k miles. So I ended up with 5 years / 75k warranty but the free maintenance of 4/50 still applies.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 06:27 PM   #15
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Show up at the dealership and demand answers. That is nonsense and total BS.

I had my Z4M at a BMW shop because of blown control arms. They couldn't properly diagnose the issue and wanted to take apart my wheel bearing to see if it was the cause and if it wasn't they wanted to charge me labor and material.

I said F that and I picked up the car, drove it to another dealership, and within 30 minutes I got a call saying I had blown control arms and I was covered under CPO.

I realize you cannot simply pick your car up and drive elsewhere, but I would voice my displeasure in person to the head service and make sure it is done.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 06:55 PM   #16
Andrewcoja
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by C135i View Post
Depends on what you "paid" for your extended warranty! When I bought my 3 series in 2011 the dealer was asking for nearly 5 grand for the extended warranty. Your repairs mentioned above are no where near that cost.

For my 2013 135i, it was on the lot past the new year so the dealer automatically CPO'd it for another year and 25k miles. So I ended up with 5 years / 75k warranty but the free maintenance of 4/50 still applies.
The prices I mentioned are what I looked up on a website. Those aren't BMW dealer prices and that doesn't include labor and doesn't include what it would cost to rent a car for the two weeks they had it. This one instance could very easily be covered by the cost of my CPO warranty. Anything warrantied after this is money in my pocket.

Last edited by Andrewcoja; 06-17-2014 at 07:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 07:12 AM   #17
whitebimmer09
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I got the car back,hey said that it was in fact the water pump.the suggested a chemical intake cleaning and the power steering flush. So I ended up doing the walnut shell $509, power steering $149 and the $53 co pay. They quoted me those prices and my total was $829. What the didn't tell me was that I had to pay extra for the fluids and for the walnut shells. I was not happy since they didn't tell me about the extra fees.

When they did the cleaning they said mine was not that bad and at my request they sent me a before and after pic. I noticed zero difference in the way my car runs after the cleaning. Hopefully it was well needed.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 07:19 AM   #18
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewcoja View Post
Depends on which model you own. There certainly isn't a need with the N52 to buy into the insurance pool to pay for your repairs.
      06-18-2014, 07:48 AM   #19
Andrewcoja
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The walnut blasting just allows the valves to open and close more easily without a bunch of gunk all over them. It should make it a tiny bit more efficient. Though, you probably could have found a place to do it for cheaper. There are sometimes people in the regional forums that offer walnut blasting for a few hundred bucks.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 12:09 PM   #20
shah269
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009

You had to pay for the nuts....W-T-F!
Sigh...on one hand I love my CPO program. I like the car, but becauseof CPO i love the car.
But when i see this kind of crap and turbos shitting the bed...i get worried!
Appreciate 0